Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 05:06
From Japanes Prog I've only:

and:

Two great CDs!
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 06:40
Yellow Magic Orchestra is more kinda electronic rock/pop than prog
jon 89
vajrabrett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajrabrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 08:24
i'd like to recommand Tipographica for their unbelievable skills and a sense of humor.
anyone who likes Zappa wil certainly love Tipo as well.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 09:19
Thanks 1967/ 1976 and vajrabrett!

YMO and ARS NOVA are the most famous progressive gems in Japan. Wink
As honestly I say, YMO recommended by my friend I couldn't understand looong time ago...
Again I'll try.

Originally posted by vajrabrett vajrabrett wrote:

i'd like to recommand Tipographica for their unbelievable skills and a sense of humor.
anyone who likes Zappa wil certainly love Tipo as well.

I appreciate your first post. Clap
Their new HQCDs will be slightly expensive... (about $30)
vajrabrett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajrabrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 09:48
A friend of mine bought Tipo's first album of God Mountain Records for about only $3...it has been out of stock for a long time.
YMO reminds me of Hikashu which maybe can't be defined as a prog band,but they are really awesome.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 11:21
Buddha Meets rock.

Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 18:11
As for Merzbow i'd give you a discography but most of his releases are not availabe anymore.
Like he would make 30 or 40 copies of something then it would be sold out in seconds
jon 89
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 07:43
Hey, Alberto...BENZAITEN I couldn't find sadly... Cry
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Waiting for this !, please state if lyrics are in Japaneese or not, as im looking for Prog with Japaneese
Lyrics, so that i can pick it up next time im in Fukuoka.

Thanks tamijo, you're always supporting Japanese rock and me.
When you come to Fukuoka, Japan, please enjoy Chinese noodle at some sidewalk stands.
And...Japanese Sake or distilled Shochu made in Kyushu are very good.

Anyway, this Jagatara was a band with voices, guitars, percussions, and a heavy brass section.
They had tried to criticise the Japanese society and government in those days and the lyrics show evidently their thought and policy (indeed Akemi's lyrics are almost Japanese and uneasy to understand even for us Japanese).
However, their play itself can let us enjoy, dance and get to be happy.
Highly recommended.

O Yes, im looking forward to my Favorite stand at the bridge to Nakasu, i will note all your recomandations
at bring them to Japan, try get the albums there.

Keep Posting more
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
LordPJoseph View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordPJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 11:01
Hello,

I've been to Japan five times, and in those times I have found many GREAT progressive bands!

My highest recommendations are Kinniku Shojo-Tai, Sound Horizon, Midori, and Gonin-Ish!
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JROCHA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 19:57
What about Mono, the epic post Rock band from Japan!
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordPJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 20:55
To elaborate on the previous bands I suggested:

Kinniku Shojo-Tai (also known as King-Show) are a band that was quite popular in Japan and still are (they have played the Nippon Budokan many times, to note their popularity). The most "progressive"-era was during the late 80's, where they released two VERY progressive gems; especially the mini-LP "Sister Strawberry." Their early material is characterized by the virtuoso piano playing of Satoshi Mishiba, and is characterized by quite bizarre songs mixing some jazz, prog rock, punk rock, and hard rock/heavy metal tendencies. The later albums are slightly more pop oriented, but are still quite bizarre and progressive. Their front-man, Kenji Ohtsuki, is also quite eccentric and definitely fits into a prog band!
Samples of the Early progressive songs from King-Show include the more mainstream sounding  Kinoko Power, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoEqGbpA3I, and the quite bizarre Matango, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9MPUNfrW9Q.

Sound Horizon is a newer band from Japan; they play very dramatic music that is a mix of Progressive Symphonic Rock, Japanese-style Pop, and Hard Rock. The band usually employs many vocalists per album, and their albums are VERY grandiose; their last album had over 75 musicians! They also are very thematic and every concert and album are based around a concept story. A very good band for open-minded fans of Symphonic Rock!

Midori are also a newer band; they are self-described "Jazz Punk." The music is characterized by caustic yelling and screaming by a female vocalist, chaotic drums, virtuoso piano work, and great usage of upright fretless bass. The Jazz Punk term is a perfect description; heavy and chaotic like punk, but with the skill and technicality of fusion.

Gonin-Ish are an amazing Progressive Metal band; they have a strong Death Metal element (including death metal vocals and angelic singing by a female vocalist), but also have a strong classic prog-rock sound, as well as a newer Progressive Metal sound. Both of their albums are phenomenal, perhaps some of the best albums ever recorded! The individual skill of the members is astounding, with Masashi Momota's song-writing and keyboard skill leading the way. The highest of recommendations! Check them out right here on the Prog-Archives!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 08:22
Thank you, LordPJoseph and JROCHA.

Originally posted by JROCHA JROCHA wrote:

What about Mono, the epic post Rock band from Japan!

I agree with you. Though I've heard their samples only (not albums)...

Originally posted by LordPJoseph LordPJoseph wrote:

Hello,

I've been to Japan five times, and in those times I have found many GREAT progressive bands!

My highest recommendations are Kinniku Shojo-Tai, Sound Horizon, Midori, and Gonin-Ish!

Kin'niku Shojo-tai is thought as a pop & visual band in Japan.
Indeed their sound, especially Kenji Otsuki's policy for music, is progressive I think.
And Midori, with heavy punk flavour, is so interesting band exactly.
Sadly their sounds I like but Mariko's voice with perfume smell is not my glass of whisky.

And Tamijo, when will you come to Fukuoka?
Can we have a PA conference at Fukuoka Street Stand Noodle Restaurant? LOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 08:26
Well a wonderful Japanese psychedelic gem has knocked me away!

Overture: Live in Nippon Yusen Soko 2006 by GHOST album cover

Overture: Live in Nippon Yusen Soko 2006
Ghost Psychedelic/Space Rock

Review by DamoXt7942

5 stars What a sacred, solemn, but weird atmosphere this is!

Please forget our long experience about psychedelic / space rock scene. When Jim Russell aka Finnforest introduce this band to me (THANKS JIM!), the name of this band could let me chill. At first, I think a Japanese GHOST should not be a phantom or a vision but a spirit itself. GHOST always reminds me the Japanese religious history, that we must believe and take care of the dead spirits. For the dead some of Japanese everyday read OKYO (a religious sutra) and believe that the dead spirits in another world should always support us now living here. This concert is not like a typical one but full of ANOTHER atmosphere.

Well look at the sleeve and you can find a monotone Great Buddha image (DAIBUTSU in Japanese). Now we should be knocked out by the spiritual sleeve and image. As ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE shows on their sleeves, a Great Buddha is a great symbol of all Buddhist and most of our (Japanese) minds. Please listen, and feel...basically awesome, solemn percussions can encircle us. About 5 minutes later, a shamisen (Japanese banjo), wabue (Japanese flute) and bells can make thier sounds heavier and deeper. In such a eccentric music, weird percussive sounds should be alive. Gradually our palpitation with the atmosphere should be greater and greater. Even electric guitars or keyboards, as everyone thinks as typical instruments for rock music, can be noise shooters or storytellers of GHOST. I consider totally this long track can't be called as a song but can be defined as an illusion. There are lots of Japanese instruments as above mentioned, in that especially wabue and various percussions should make this track serious and seraphic. And a piano coming here after 17 minutes can push this sounds toward an upper stage. Electric sounds should NOT be self-assertive or in front of all instruments. Here they should be only noises with adding some solemn flavour. In the middle part avantgarde and sharply noisy explosion can fly and blow over our head. In another world we can't realize what happen but can feel cold, keen-edged, and GHOSTLY wind. Over the noisy society GHOSTs can fly and dance elegantly...I always feel with listening to this track. Someone may say over 56 minute song should be boring. However, I can not think so. YES, this track is not a song but a wind or an air, and should make our heart palpitate as an earthquake, at least for me. Indeed there's no Mokugyo (Buddhistic percussion) or Rin (Buddhistic bell) but every percussion can play each religious part. Furthermore each instrument, without assertion, can support this track under the earth. (Even a saxophone or another horn can play on the background as one of their collaborators.) I'm sure everyone joining the concert should be happy with jumping and tripping over ANOTHER WORLD. Now I can a bit feel this fantastic and awesome atmosphere. I'm very happy. Really, really I can't breathe till the last piano vibrations...

This album is, I wanna say, exactly another Japanese psychedelic culture.

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 13:46

A japanese prog thread without naming KBB ain't a proper one. Great stuff

Also Bondage Fruit is a band worth ckeching out

Edited by crimson87 - June 11 2009 at 13:47
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 16:57
http://www.japrocksampler.com/

Check this out!
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 16:59

This is nice stuff - Yonin Bayashi
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Thulëatan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thulëatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 18:14
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Shingetsu yet - maybe the band is too obvious a choice? Smile http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1273

Japanese progressive music has some very special moments, as your culture is so attuned to atmosphere and the importance of strong melody.

Damo, I wonder if you are able to enjoy the music of modern game soundtracks from Japan, or is this only for the younger generations? Smile Many Japanese game music composers were very much influenced by the '70s progressive rock and early electronic music and you can hear this in their amazing work - if you feel brave, try music by Hitoshi Sakimoto or Nobuo Uematsu.

I will be looking out for the bands you have recommended!

Edited by Thulëatan - June 11 2009 at 18:15
"Have you not imagination, and is it not available?"
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordPJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Kin'niku Shojo-tai is thought as a pop & visual band in Japan.
Indeed their sound, especially Kenji Otsuki's policy for music, is progressive I think.
And Midori, with heavy punk flavour, is so interesting band exactly.
Sadly their sounds I like but Mariko's voice with perfume smell is not my glass of whisky.

And Tamijo, when will you come to Fukuoka?
Can we have a PA conference at Fukuoka Street Stand Noodle Restaurant? LOL

DamoX, thank's for your insightful reply!

I did indeed know that King-Show (or Kin'niku Shojo-tai) were often considered a pop/visual band in Japan; however, when I went to their concerts (I saw them at the Nakano Sun Plaza for the reunion, at the Budokan last year, and at the Akasaka Blitz), I noticed that there were as many male fans in the crowd as female fans! I was pretty surprised, considering most pop/visual bands have a mostly female fan base. Also, interesting to note, the King-Show Tour Shirts for their 2008 tour had the term "Prog Rock" on the front of the shirt; I guess the band thinks they are prog Big smile To me, though, they have a very unique and progressive sound that I think many non-Japanese prog fans can enjoy, as long as they can get past the japanese vocals and japanese visuals. I, personally, have gotten many of my prog friends into King-Show, and these friends don't know anything about Japanese music!

Yes, Midori's vocalist Mariko has a voice that can be very annoying to most listeners; it is unfortunate, because I believe that many prog/fusion fans would enjoy this band if they were instrumental.

Another band that is also a mix between heavy percussive Piano usage, progressive tendencies, hardcore punk, and metal is Tokusatsu. They also feature King-Show members Kenji Ohtsuki and Satoshi Mishiba, as well as the guitarist from Coaltar of the Deepers, a shoe-gaze band that is somewhat progressive in their mix of Death Metal, Indie, Shoegaze, and Electronica.

DamoX, if you know any other bands in the style of King-Show, please let me know!

Edited by LordPJoseph - June 11 2009 at 19:14
0000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:52
Hello

May I recommend Mr. Sirius "Dirge" and "Barren dream", my two favorite albums. Perfection if you ask me.

Also Kenso are really awesome.

I have other favorites still not mentioned yet

Wappa Gappa
Providence
Six North
Quikion
Kennedy
Pageant
Vienna
Vermillion Sands
Igzit-Nine
Ashada