Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 19:14
My 5 recommendation to start

- Start from 1970s -
The most important also one of the best selling groups is Yoninbayashi (四人囃子).
Isshoku Sokuhatsu (一触即発) was epoch-making masterpiece in 1974.

&amp;#19968;&amp;#35302;&amp;#21363;&amp;#30330;(+2)(&amp;#32025;&amp;#12472;&amp;#12515;&amp;#12465;&amp;#12483;&amp;#12488;&amp;#20181;&amp;#27096;)

- Start from 1980s -
In comparison with other countries, Japanese scene did not heavily sink.
However Yoninbayashi, Cosmos Factory, Far East Family Band were already disbanded at the start of 1980s. On the other hand, Ain Soph, Novela, Dada, Bi Kyo Ran (美狂乱) etc made their debut in 1980s.
I recommend Bi Kyo Ran from 1980s' masterpiece.

PARALLAX

Bi Kyo Ran / Parallax

Original release / 1983

- Start from 1990s -
Around 1993 or so, progressive rock seems to recover as a energetic movement. In comparison with 1980s, we could easily get many masterpieces. Unfortunately progressive rock magazine Marquee turned very different way from orthodox progressive rock category to editor's hobby. It harmed for many proggers to approach / get new progressive movement for several years.
In 1990s, I selected Sakuraba Motoi (桜庭 統). Once he was a member of Deja-Vu. After its disbandment, he frequently appears in game music scene. Especially Star Ocean series are important.

Sakuraba Motoi / Shining The Holy Ark

- Start from 2000s -
As you already know, it's very happy decade, 2000s!
Many progressive rock groups and musicians have emerged here and there!!
I selected Sound Horizon from Japan. It is the best-selling group in 2000s scene. But many proggers miss them because they come from different origin. Sound Horizon started as the leader's solo project in dojin music scene. And he was not known as a progressive rock musician at that time.
I strongly recommend Aramary's vocal stuff. She was a great star heroine! Thumbs Up

Elysion~&amp;#27005;&amp;#22290;&amp;#24187;&amp;#24819;&amp;#29289;&amp;#35486;&amp;#32068;&amp;#26354;~

Sound Horizon / Elysion - Rakuen Genso Monogatari Kumikyoku (エリュシオン - 楽園幻想物語組曲)

- Start from my recent 1 year purchase Wacko -
This section may be confusing. LOL
I recommend Ryodan (旅団). This percussive music wil make us exciting as if African music beats the drums.

Terra Incognita

Ryodan / Terra Incognita

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 02:36
anyone here know Ashule ?   Some samples here, pretty good Symph --

http://changmoz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie/montage.mov

http://changmoz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie/moveup.mov

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 05:30
Whoa, honganji-san overtook me! AngryLOL

Jokin' aside, my SERIOUS top 5 recommedation are as follows:

Isshoku-Sokuhatsu - YONINBAYASHI
July 15, 1972 - TAJ MAHAL TRAVELLERS
Bi Kyo Ran - BIKYORAN
3.27830 - LE SILO
Brilliant Streams - ASTURIAS

But my PERSONAL recommendation Tongue are:

Pataphysical Freak Out MU! - ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE
Debon - BRAST BURN
Gunjogacrayon - GUNJOGACRAYON
Kinsei - OMOIDE HATOBA
Warsaw Joyaku - SEIKAZOKU

Freak out!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 00:32
I just got Flower Travellin Band - Satori alongside Far east Family Band - Parallel World - mmmmmhhhh yummy. Reminds me a lot of the krautrock scene, although Satori might be the first ever hybrid of metal and true psychedelic aspirations.
Great albums for jamming along on my tablas thatīs for sure.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 03:11
Today let me recommend a very problematic outfit and album ...

Takeshi Inomata

Takeshi INOMATA, currently known as one of the most renowned and most influential jazz drummers in Japan, was born at Takarazuka, Japan in 1936. His father (an oboist of Takarazuka Revue Company), his elderly brother (a genius jazz trumpeter), and The Benny Goodman Orchestra whose album he had again and again listened to in his teenaged days could influence much on him and as a result he appeared on stage as a drummer at age 16. His terrific talent and enthusiasm for drumming surprisingly improve and develop his technique, that could let himself win the prize of Swing Journal Magazine's newcomer award in 1957. He showed his ability of jazz drumming in US Camps (later he mentioned he had played drums with smell of butter and hamburger steaks around him) and joined for a jazz outfit Westliners, but an enthusiasm that he wanted to play borderless music made him form SOUND L.T.D. (Limited), a progressive jazz-rock outfit. In those days such a mysterious and perverse creation might confuse every rock & jazz fan and reviewer. Now Takeshi makes a large contribution toward training younger jazz musicians and making a record of the history of Japanese jazz, and simultaneously stands on many worldwide stages , e.g. Carnegie Hall or Apollo Theater.

Innocent Canon (1971) - TAKESHI INOMATA & SOUND L.T.D.

A borderless creation by borderless musicians.

One of the matchlessly eccentric sound kaleidoscopes - even in Japan every reviewer called him as a musician with a warped soundscape. Yes, he might be a confuser (in a good sense). Amazingly, Takeshi promoted Noriaki KANOH, a young and promising photographer, to a narrator (free talker?) in this album. Such a strategy we could not find in another one in 1971. Anyway, 1971 was a golden year for Japanese progressive rock scene, as I've mentioned again and again ... and the credit of Kimio MIZUTANI can be found on lots of album sleeves in that year. Even in 'Innocent Canon', Kimio's aggressive guitar solo can lead all instruments and all listeners. And yeah, Takeshi's strict drumming absolutely can support this 'air' and 'ground'. The narration by Noriaki (currently he's called 'Tenmei' though) is sometimes lazy, sometimes unique, and sometimes ardent. Mysteriously, for me his talk was boring previously, but to listen to this stuffs again and again has interested me in his fuzzy fascination for music.

This album cannot be discussed only under the category of jazz-rock, though Takeshi was (and is) a renowned Japanese jazz drummer indeed. Kimio's heavy guitar and ethnic sitar, Toshiaki YOKOTA's mind-altering flute, and especially Noriaki's flat narration - all elements can make these songs more psychedelic and more avantgarde. Listen to the first track Introduction directly ... heavy, headaching, hypnotic riffs and enthusiastic but level narrations are very typical upon Japanese psychedelic progressive rock scene in the early 70s. In the next The Death Of Janis (dedicated to Janis Joplin) Toshiaki's flute solo is very mind-blowing, in spite of Noriaki's sensitive talk. The third Go For Nothing has violent 'NO!' voices and at the same time a delightful, pleasant jazz ensemble ... this contrast is wonderful. Alone, the sixth, is very impressive with Oriental fragile mood by Kimio's sitar. We feel impulsive tension even in the last song Epilog, where Jun SUZUKI's whistle be very comfortable indeed.

Highly recommended as a very strange footprint on Japanese music scene.

Sound L.T.D. - a borderless sound unit

Thank you for reading this blog.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 10 2010 at 17:57
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

anyone here know Ashule ?   Some samples here, pretty good Symph --

http://changmoz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie/montage.mov

http://changmoz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie/moveup.mov

Oh, this website ...
http://homepage2.nifty.com/chang-moz-e/disc2.htm

I've not known at all but gonna research him (a project by Narutomo Hashimoto, called as Oldfield in Sendai LOL ).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I just got Flower Travellin Band - Satori alongside Far east Family Band - Parallel World - mmmmmhhhh yummy. Reminds me a lot of the krautrock scene, although Satori might be the first ever hybrid of metal and true psychedelic aspirations.
Yeah, you bet! ... and you know, the pre-Satori should be "Kirikyogen" by KUNI KAWACHI TO KARE NO TOMODACHI.

Please check'em. Wink
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 17:34

漢字名では書けるものの、読めと言われると読めない名前がよくあるのですが、Sound L.T.D.の鈴木淳さんも、読めません。加納典明さんが、「すずききよみ」と言っているのか「すずきひろみ」と言っているのか、判然としないのですよね。

アルバムは3枚とも(同名アルバムとDrum Methodのこと)持っていますが、どこかに読み仮名が振ってあったでしょうか。

逆に漢字名が分らない人も多いし、名前コレクションも大変ですわ~Cry
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 18:02
Ah, honganji-san, thanks for your advice.
The bassist of SOUND L.T.D. is "Jun SUZUKI", not "Atsushi ... " nor "Kiyomi". Smile

Of course, like Noriaki KANOH (currently known as Tenmei KANOH), the way to read his Kanji name may be different nowadays I imagine?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 01:21
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 09:39

In fact, Kazuhiro, you can maintain private conversation here with Damo with just Honganji witnessing it.

Others wouldn't understand a thing as long as it's in Japan.

I wanted to reply in PM, but I've lost dozens of rows in sudden shutdown, so I'm stunned right now. But Isshoku Sokuhatsu was very nice, even I don't know at all what to say about it.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Yeah, you bet! ... and you know, the pre-Satori should be "Kirikyogen" by KUNI KAWACHI TO KARE NO TOMODACHI.

Please check'em. Wink

Are there any drums in the mix, not that I need em or anything - you just described a rhythm section in your review?Smile
This is btw miles away from my otherwise serene and clear cut vision of Japan with its cherry blossom trees, Budokan and what Iīve seen in old movies LOL - I love the change though...

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 18:01

ダモさん、どうもです。

すずきじゅんさんで間違いなさそうですね。本人のベーススクール記事を見て、猪俣猛の名前が出ているので間違いなさそうです。ってことは、加納典明さんのナレーションが間違いということですか・・・。罪作りな写真家ですな。
LOL

いやいや、それにしても、このバンドに注目されているとは。私自身も近年まで、このバンドのことを全く気にもしていませんでしたが、なかなか、日本の70年代初期のジャズ・ロックも大したものと感心するばかりでしたよ。
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 18:31
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Plagiarism?LOL

NO! AngryTongue

Ah, but guess there might be subliminal plagiarism ... like the theme of Shanghai Expo 2010. LOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 18:37

Are there any drums in the mix, not that I need em or anything - you just described a rhythm section in your review?Smile
Of course, aggressive drumming and a hardcore rhythm ensemble will come straightly to your heart. Wink
Quote This is btw miles away from my otherwise serene and clear cut vision of Japan with its cherry blossom trees, Budokan and what Iīve seen in old movies LOL - I love the change though...

Partly seconded, but basically Japanese are very enthusiastic for everything. Smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 18:38
Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

ダモさん、どうもです。

すずきじゅんさんで間違いなさそうですね。本人のベーススクール記事を見て、猪俣猛の名前が出ているので間違いなさそうです。ってことは、加納典明さんのナレーションが間違いということですか・・・。罪作りな写真家ですな。
LOL

いやいや、それにしても、このバンドに注目されているとは。私自身も近年まで、このバンドのことを全く気にもしていませんでしたが、なかなか、日本の70年代初期のジャズ・ロックも大したものと感心するばかりでしたよ。
Indeed a very wonderful psych-jazz album, Innocent Canon is. Clap
Actually when I've looked around Amazon.co.jp recommendation, this VERY STRANGE creation rang my bell strongly.

いやはや、帯に「超珍盤」ですからねぇ。LOL

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 11 2010 at 18:43
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 18:25
Anyway, Guernica, recommended here, have been added in Progarchives library (Eclectic Prog). Cool
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 00:24
Hi everyone!  Just stopping in to say that I recently got Acid Mothers Temple's album Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo.  I'm really enjoying it so far, really surprised at its low rating so far (2.5!) as it's got a good acid-drenched psych sound, moreso than the previous AMT album I checked out (IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno), and gives me a good Krautrock-flavored vibe.  I can't compare it to the majority of their albums, though, as I've only got those two.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 04:47
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Hi everyone!  Just stopping in to say that I recently got Acid Mothers Temple's album Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo.  I'm really enjoying it so far, really surprised at its low rating so far (2.5!) as it's got a good acid-drenched psych sound, moreso than the previous AMT album I checked out (IAO Chant from the Cosmic Inferno), and gives me a good Krautrock-flavored vibe.  I can't compare it to the majority of their albums, though, as I've only got those two.
Oh, Jon! You're a real AMT freak-out freak. LOL

Now Pataphisical Freak Out MU!, Electric Heavyland, Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo, Journey Into The Cosmic Inferno, and Cometary Orbital Drive are by my side Tongue ...

My musts are Pataphisical and Ge Kyo. Clap
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 17:28
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Oh, Jon! You're a real AMT freak-out freak. LOL

Now Pataphisical Freak Out MU!, Electric Heavyland, Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo, Journey Into The Cosmic Inferno, and Cometary Orbital Drive are by my side Tongue ...

My musts are Pataphisical and Ge Kyo. Clap

I'll have to check out Pataphisical, then. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 52>