Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
monkey in orbit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey in orbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 18:47
I've been listening to Karuna Khyal's Alomoni 1985 today and I'm quite impressed, excellent record. Krautrockish / pre-industrial

Edited by monkey in orbit - June 15 2010 at 18:47
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 23:36
An energetic passion has come from Kyoto, a traditional Japanese town. Big smile

DATETENRYU (1973, Kyoto, Japan ... from their MySpace website)

In May, 1971, Masao TONARI (organ, keyboards), Hiroshi NARAZAKI (bass, voices), Yosһitaka NAKAMURA (drums), and Kei YAMASHIΤA (guitars) - a talented quartet of Light Music Club in Kyoto Sangyo University (Japan) formed DATETENRYU as a free-formed jam band. They appeared on stage gloriously as an opening act of Kazuhiko Katoh (ex-The Folk Crusaders, Sadistic Mika Band) or Mops in the same year, and played periodic gigs in Kyoto. They made their musical activity wider all around Japan by playing on various stages in collaboration with lots of renowned artists. Disregarding their promising charisma, in the beginning of 1983 they suspended all of their music activity for the reason of Masao's intention without any notice.

After a long hibernation over ten years, DATETENRYU was suddenly reunited by Masao and Hiroshi, two of the founding members in 1996. They could hit it off on stage in Himeji and Namba, and released their first album '1971' (1996) via an Osakan independent label Gyuune Cassette. 'Unto' (1997) and '1976' (2000) were shot with the collaboration of Japanese indie labels and DATETENRYU finally founded their old material on their own label Banana Songs / Walking Press Records, that since then released their albums - 'Nagi' (2000), '2001 Shutoku Live' (2003), 'Red Afternoon Blues' (2004), and 'Cool Flying Dragon' (2006) - compiled from their old or new live material.

1971 - DATETENRYU's debut live album released in 1996

First of all, please break away yourself completely in pieces.

Namely, the first track name "Bukkowareta Boku" is "Myself Broken In Pieces" in English. The frontman Masao's aggressive keyboard solo could be goin' too fast to stop, and as though it crashed through the audience - my honest impression. Hiroshi's vocal is not only aggressive but also rampant and desperate, like Boz in King Crimson's Earthbound - this voices can lead us to a brave new world named DATETENRYU - Cool Flying Dragon! This strongest energy can be heard in the next "Harugeshiki", with more rampant (but rigidly steady and somewhat attractive) rhythm section by Yosһitaka's rumblin' drums and Hiroshi's deep bass. Exactly they seems to give rise to a thunder storm of improvised and non-traditional psychedelic sounds. Kyoto, Japan is a traditional city with lots of temples or idols indeed, but their energetic plays may blow this tradition and conventional atmosphere easily away I imagine? The three or four liberal intellectuals can do so. "Doromamire" is really their living way and the masterpiece ... the sound quality, remixing, and even their playing itself are not good but suitable for the word encourager. Their soundscape can sometimes float up and sometimes sink down, with lots of brilliant noises and dirty earaches around them. Please you easily imagine how the audience might feel. Through a weird terrorvision "Part-4", we can rush with them into the last irresponsible and apathetic song "Abuku No Aji". Hiroshi's slipshod voices are cool but warm, yeah why cannot we enthuse ourselves over this album, and these terrific stuffs?

Bottoms up for a Japanese pride.

Than you for reading this blog, and thank you Greg (G-Bombz) for your recommendation. Clap

Edited by DamoXt7942 - June 15 2010 at 23:42
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 23:39
Originally posted by monkey in orbit monkey in orbit wrote:

I've been listening to Karuna Khyal's Alomoni 1985 today and I'm quite impressed, excellent record. Krautrockish / pre-industrial
Clap Excellent.

And you can be immersed into another Japanese Krautrock BRAST BURN's "Debon". Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 01:20
Anyway, please check Datetenryu's YouTube fellows.

Wink
monkey in orbit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey in orbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 02:48
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Clap Excellent.

And you can be immersed into another Japanese Krautrock BRAST BURN's "Debon". Wink

it was actualy the next thing i listened to!
excellent record also

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 03:17
....from Liverpool..to Tokyo
its a way to go..
  from distant lands...one woman one man..
let the four winds blow..

Three thousands miles....over the ocean..
.....three thousand lightyears..from the land of the rising sun....

Love has opened up my eyes. Love has blown right through.
Wherever You Are.....You are here
                                                                                    John Lennon

assume the power 1586/14.3
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 04:16
Ah, yep, Mind Games is a great album, a bit underestimated though. Thumbs Up
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 04:20
with love, Keishiro-san

assume the power 1586/14.3
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

Osorezan by Geinoh Yamashirogumi

Clap

That is my favourite prog album from Japan so far, though I like quite a few Geinoh Yamashirogumi albums (one of my favourite finds of the last year).  I'm putting on Yamato Genjoh, another I love by the group.

I've probably mentioned this before in this thread, but I've been returning to it a lot of late: Toshiyuki Miyama and his New Herd's 1972 album, Yamataifu.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocktopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 15:04

Today let me recommend a very problematic outfit and album ...

Takeshi Inomata

Innocent Canon (1971) - TAKESHI INOMATA & SOUND L.T.D.

Just recently discovered Takeshi and this amazing album! Never heard anything quite like it.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:12
Damo - yesterday on my musical commute I played the Sadistic Mika Band's album, Kurofume. Interested to hear what you think and whether or not you think the band worthy of ProgArchives.
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've probably mentioned this before in this thread, but I've been returning to it a lot of late: Toshiyuki Miyama and his New Herd's 1972 album, Yamataifu.

Oh, sorry Greg I've not found your tasty previous post ... Embarrassed
Gonna check Yamataifu soon, thanks! Smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:25
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Today let me recommend a very problematic outfit and album ...

Takeshi Inomata

Innocent Canon (1971) - TAKESHI INOMATA & SOUND L.T.D.

Just recently discovered Takeshi and this amazing album! Never heard anything quite like it.
Thanks Rocktopus!

And now, here there everywhere, I'm trying to persuade some Collabs to evaluate and approve them. LOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:31
Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

Damo - yesterday on my musical commute I played the Sadistic Mika Band's album, Kurofume. Interested to hear what you think and whether or not you think the band worthy of ProgArchives.
Yeah Takeshi, anytime soon I'm gonna recheck and suggest them.
(They may be much approved by Dean, an Admin ... I've heard on another thread.)

Anyway, the frontman Kazuhiko Katoh is one of pioneers in Japanese Acid Folk scene, as a member of The Folk Crusaders. Wink
Sadly he killed himself in 2009, in trouble with his depression. Cry
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 18:34
Good stuff - what are your thoughts on the Naruyoshi Kikuchi Dub Sextet, in terms of Jazz Rock / Fusion. They might merit inclusion given the connection to DCPRG?
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 02:06
Damo, do you had time to listen to Black Page yet????? I'm really curious to see how you think about them. I've think they fits perfect to jazz fusion.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 06:30
Here comes an Osakan progressive rock quartet ... with much humour ... suggested by Bogdan Olariu! Clap

Bunmei OGAWA (from his blog website)

BLACK PAGE were formed in the mid 1980s as a Japanese rock quartet by Bunmei OGAWA (keyboards), Itsufumi OGAWA (guitars), Kohzoh SUGANUMA (drums), and Tsuneo KOMINE (bass) - already all of them had been musically professional. Regardless of their sense of humour cultivated in Osaka, they had played lots of gigs with their astonishing technique - featuring Itsufumi's complex guitar play much influenced by Alan Holdsworth, Bunmei's Emerson-ish thrilling keyboard explosion, aggressive drumming by Kohzoh called 'Tekazu-Oh' (in English, The King Of Full Speed ... sorry no appropriate expression here), and Tsuneo's strictly precise bass-quake. In 1986 BLACK PAGE released their one and only album 'Open The Next Page', in that their terrific technical approaches could be remarkably approved by progressive freaks all around the world, but sad to say, they were disbanded soon after that. Each ex-member is currently active as a music tutor or one of members in newer rock outfits in Japan.

Open The Next Page (1986) - BLACK PAGE

BLACK PAGE was a short-lived Japanese progressive rock outfit formed in Osaka around a twin technical unit Ogawa Brothers - Bunmei (keyboards) and Itsufumi (guitars). The 70s British Progressive Rock scene including Alan Holdsworth or Keith Emerson seems to exert a great influence upon their music style and soundscape, therefore their play in the album Open The Next Page sounds to place great importance upon speed and technique in playing. We can feel their strong intention through Itsufumi's Holdsworthy guitar, Bunmei's Emersonish keyboard, or 'Tekazu-Oh' Kohzoh's thousand-handed (!) drumming. Listen to the beginning of this album and in "Go On" we can hear some younger bands' similar style (the opening by Bunmei's delightful keyboard solo can remind me Yu Shimoda's synthesizer sounds in Shinsekai's album). Some reviewers including me say voices are weak and not smooth regretfully, but despite of vocal instability, they can carry on incredible plays with heavy technique. Their composition is also fantastic ... sometimes dreamy, sometimes tragic, and entirely dramatic atmosphere's' can be fully around us listeners. Bunmei's plays in "Tsuki-Otoko To Stick (a man on the moon and a stick)" sound like Rick Davies' (Supertramp) ones. Jazzy, symphonic, and sometimes heavy missiles are shot from the Black Page launcher. We can be struck heart-painfully especially by the suite "The Story Of A Melodious Stone / Admiration / Trip To Faraway Place / Good Bye". On the contrary, there is also something ambient or monotone-psychedelic like "Toku Kara". We can be gradually filled up and pumped up with their colourful and eclectic regimen. Recommended for Eclecticians.

Thank you for reading this blog, and again thanks Bogdan for your fantastic recommendation! Hug
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 20:23
Hello Keishiro!  I just wanted to let you know that I've recently found out about an earlier album by THE WORLD HERITAGE, one which I thought was already impossible to buy (even though it was released in 2006).  I've ordered it (directly from Yoshida Tatsuya) and I'll be sure to stop in and let you know what I think of it.  The album is ICOMOS.  I still need to check out your suggestion of his other band, though he has so many it's a bit overwhelming trying to keep track of everything he's released. Wacko
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 03:14
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Hello Keishiro!  I just wanted to let you know that I've recently found out about an earlier album by THE WORLD HERITAGE, one which I thought was already impossible to buy (even though it was released in 2006).  I've ordered it (directly from Yoshida Tatsuya) and I'll be sure to stop in and let you know what I think of it.  The album is ICOMOS.  I still need to check out your suggestion of his other band, though he has so many it's a bit overwhelming trying to keep track of everything he's released. Wacko
Thanks Jon, this weekend I'll have some conferences in Tokyo (one is for my work, and one is for my work HERE) so be too busy to research Tatsuya's productions (sooo prolific gangster! Tongue ) ...

Try to learn more 'bout him ASAP, and hope to give you some humble infos ... Wink
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 01:32
出た!Black Page。
リリース当初は、その洗練された音楽性と相俟ってか、これがフュージョンではなくてなぜプログレか?などという批判的な評価もありましたが。
LOL

リリース時期が悪かったかどうか、時期は次第にCDへ向かいつつあり、一方、この作品はLPのみ。
私はオリジナルのLPをほぼリアルタイムで手にしましたが、いったいどれほど売れたものやら。

Black Pageが行けるのなら、是非それ以前のその手のバンド、Space Circusや羅麗若も押さえておきたい!
こちらもジャズ・ロックの必聴バンド。ただし、2バンド合わせて3枚の作品は、早くも廃盤か?CD化はされているものの、プレス数はそれほど多くはないはず。
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 52>