Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 03:16
So glad to introduce such a promising outfit ... a Japanese symphonic jazz rock combo ptf and their debut creation "percept from ..."Cool

ptf ... (left to right) Hiroyuki ITO, Yusuke SEKI, Keisuke TAKASHIMA, and Takeya KITO
Quote A Japanese symphonic jazz rock combo PTF (officially ptf, written in lower-case letters) were founded as a quartet by Keisuke TAKASHIMA (violin), Takeya KITO (keyboards), Hiroyuki ITO (bass), and Yusuke SEKI (drums) in 2009. Gained musical experience through lots of gigs mainly around Tokyo quite inspired by 70s progressive rock, jazz rock, and heavy metal scene (according to what Keisuke says), finally their debut album "percept from ..." was released in February 2013 via Musea Records.
percept from ... (2013) - PTF

The key word for them is "stability", that should be a hope at the same time, I'd like to say.

ptf are a Japanese jazz rock quartet featuring keyboards, bass, drums, and violin. Through the entire album, we can feel theatrical agency here and there, based upon strict jazz-heavy-mixed rhythm stream. Their debut album "percept from ..." can be thought as a compilation featuring almost all of their works since their formation in 2009.

Their good point is that the listeners or the audience cannot feel eccentricity via their complex song structure completely veiled with natural artificial music science. This phenomenon reminds me Trevor Horn mentioned about Yes that their wrong way to create music magically sounds natural. ptf perfectly squeeze dramatic symphony constructed with only four instruments into our heart. Yusuke's jazz-oriented drum comfort and Hiroyuki's deep, steady bass curtain are the core of ptf soundgarden. Takeya's keyboard, piano works sometimes stand on the front and sometimes behind, with his clearly crystallized sound gems. And Keisuke's violin - one of the key instruments of all - alters the vibe itself dramatically for situations. Sometimes sounds like a dancer to a groove, like a sharp knife edge or a cold ice (reminds me David Cross' cool violin sounds in "The Night Watch"), and sometimes like a noble lady walking quietly. On the basis of jazz symphonic, their scape can be easy to absorb, despite of a bit long (about 10 minute) song theatres.

Their strong intention for this album is obvious ... we can find easily in the first track "Arc Tailor", where the mixture of pop phrases created with Keisuke’s violin winds and innovative sensations along with their deep rhythm section. Sounds like their innovation is heard as simpler, smoother one rather than "progressive". "Firefly Effect" sounds like a flood of critical phases and magnificent blue, bluesy atmosphere, that can be well-expressed with their fantastic instrumental explosion. "Fair Wind" is an aggressive speedy symphonic heavy rock, that can get popular amongst almost all progressive freaks, methinks. On the contrary, a slow ballad (featuring keenly electronic violin shoots in the middle part) "Chromatic Rays", filled with safe and sound, wraps our lonesomeness up with their hearty rays. Until the last dramatic versatility "Seaward Meteor", their sound compilation "kaleidoscopic wind of change", they launch drastic dramatic music rebellion.

Whilst to be honest, there might be a problem in their promising album, let me point out. They play smartly "art rock" with well-balanced instrumental formation so that complex rhythms or eccentric riffs are not needed. Some inorganic polyrhythmic riffs can be heard but they are too artificial (not artistic) to be fit for their musical basis. Looks like they overreacted for digesting progressive rock in their stomach, and disturbed the smooth surface of their soundscape ... it's a pity for me. Yeah hope they would shout they are progressive rock haters (lol). ...Joking aside, they should go ahead as an jazz / art rock project, not as a "non-innovative" progressive rock one, because they are so artistic enough to impress us.

Thank you for reading this blog.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 11:44
^ is this album available for streaming anywhere? I listened to "Purple Mist" on youtube and would like to hear more.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 17:19
^ Hey Frank, thanks for your appreciation!
Sorry not known if there's a streaming of this album or not, but upon iTunes you can listen to samples. Embarrassed

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/percept-from.../id618653077
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:09
A happy new year from Japan, where we can get a new year's cry earlier than you.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:21
We have to wait 8 hours more here in Rome.
Happy new year

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:26
Good to see some attention given to that PTF band a few weeks ago, thank you Keishiro! A fine album, I think I might give it a play now, my first album of 2014!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 22:55
Any love for Japanese mob 'Flied Egg' ??
'Dr Siegel's Fried Egg Shooting Machine' is soooo much fun - very well done with lots of variety and occasional flashes of complexity. Great album.
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 02:41
Hi to all.
I love Japanese style in  Prog Rock, is so mental and complex. Especially for Psychedelic Rock.
The first band I heard is Far East Family Band, for the many analogies with Pink Floyd (the first band I ever listened). After a surprise. Ballettirosadimacchia wich deal for German-Italian but surely they'll be Japanese Cool...

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 07:09
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Happy new year
Too large pic but superb one, love Rome. LOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 07:14
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Good to see some attention given to that PTF band a few weeks ago, thank you Keishiro! A fine album, I think I might give it a play now, my first album of 2014!
Hey Mike, ptf's "Percept From ..." is the greatest album in 2013 for me too. Clap

The violinist Keisuke says they're working for 2nd album (featuring a over-40-minute suite!) now ... cannot wait! Cool
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 07:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Any love for Japanese mob 'Flied Egg' ??
'Dr Siegel's Fried Egg Shooting Machine' is soooo much fun - very well done with lots of variety and occasional flashes of complexity. Great album.
See their backs ... Cool indeedWink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

Hi to all.
I love Japanese style in  Prog Rock, is so mental and complex. Especially for Psychedelic Rock.
The first band I heard is Far East Family Band, for the many analogies with Pink Floyd (the first band I ever listened). After a surprise. Ballettirosadimacchia wich deal for German-Italian but surely they'll be Japanese Cool...
Oh what a pity, not known Ballettirosadimacchia actually. Embarrassed

In Japan are lots of RPI fans / freaks. Cool
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 08:43
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

Hi to all.
Oh what a pity, not known Ballettirosadimacchia actually. Embarrassed

In Japan are lots of RPI fans / freaks. Cool

It is just so! Big smile... This could be an example of how Japanese people are good in many fields. Certainly the language couldn't be like Italian for obvious phonetic settings, but it is a curious "event to remember".
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 17:07
Hi there, and sorry for my belated "A happy new progressive year"! Big smile

I've listened to an EP "MelloW" released last autumn, by a Japanese "promising" rock combo The BROWN. They, founded a decade ago, have been pretty active around Osaka Japan, and fantastically gigged with Djamra in Nov. 2013. Sadly I could not attend this gig but Masaharu (Djamra) has let me know their info and recommended their EP.
Thanks Masaharu! Approve

the brown ... an Osakan superb rock combo

Another 'eavy fanaticism has come ... I'm sure you can really understand my pleasure.

"MelloW", released in October 2013, is the newest EP of The BROWN, a Japanese rock quartet founded by Saitoh.N (drums, percussion), Takanori.Y (bass), eye (voices), and Atari.K (guitar) in 2003. They played with Djamra on stage in Nakatsu Vi-Code last autumn, and it's a pity I could not attend this fantastic gig battle, let me say.

MelloW (2013) - The BROWN

At a first listening, fuzzy psychedelic guitar lightning splits our neuron. Eye's keen, clear but flexible voices dance around an alternative sound turf based upon heavy, eccentric riffs created by a deep rhythm party. Their phantasmagoric beat sounds mystic and natural, that can invade our inner mind smoothly. Hot, bloody and scarlet indeed. Whilst this beginning "Modern Play" should be only one of their multiple appearances ... can realize just when we listen to the following track "Mori Ni Hisomu (hidden in a deep forest)". As heavy, sharp-edged as the previous one but more dramatic and more enthusiastic. The melody line is pop and easily digestive but at the same time leaning toward hardcore fuzz buzz. Powerful but a bit gracious chorus knocks us easily ... exactly reminds us something like Rush / Geddy's virtuoso falsetto (sorry eye is a cute lady though). Followed by another mystery "Dear K. C". This track has tough chilling sound ice that would frostbite our ear directly. Kinda killa is an instrumental battle with each other in the middle part, as if colourful flavours of a whisky would be spread in our mouth and nose, that can be thought as another appearance of theirs.

Modern Play

"Low And Low" is one of their superb pop songs. Ruppa's saxophone as a vanguard, and the four talented artists shoot their excellent musical personality and their sincere feeling out ... not got beaten by the saxophonic passion but matured perfectly. Their mellow appearance (unexpectedly!) can be heard in a short poetry "Kumo No Ito (Spider's intention)", featuring the duo of beautiful keyboard moonshine and delightful voice sunshine. Very fascinating. Oh God, "Discharge" is characterized by eye's splendid vocal flexibility. Letting us feel free, easy, and comfortably. Complex drumming and bluesy bass quake cannot get freakout but to our surprise, strict and loud really. The last "Your Red", the longest one in this EP, notifies us what they would go forward as a musical goal ... Heavy Progressive Rock like Haken, The Mars Volta, and Rush ... their melody core is generally pop and catchy but simultaneously has a rigid basis of versatile elements and innovative strategies. Sweet but bitter, cool but fanatic. Quite suitable for them, such a phrase should be. Recommended with drinking bloody strong absinthe (toxic).

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 05:16
^ And The Brown have been in as a Heavy Prog combo.
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8671

Beer
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 04:37
Thanks all progressive rock freaks, especially Michael (Aussie-Byrd-Brother) for appreciating a promising Japanese progressive rock unit STELLA LEE JONES!

Stella Lee Jones
Quote A Japanese promising unit STELLA LEE JONES were founded as a progressive rock septet by Satoshi HIRATA (guitar) who was one of the founders of FLAT 122, soon after their disbandment in 2009. They have highlighted their originality under Satoshi's soundscape mixed with jazz, avantgarde, and art rock. Their debut album "A Floating Place", released in late 2011, came out as a gem crystallized rigidly with their innovative eclecticism. The current lineup are Satoshi, Shin'ya SATO (keyboards), Emi SASAKI (accordion), Hitomi IRIYAMA (violin), Naoyuki SETO (bass), Tomoyoku TANIMOTO (drums), and Genta KUDOH (percussion).
A Floating Place (2011) - STELLA LEE JONES’ debut album

A Japanese rock septet STELLA LEE JONES founded Satoshi HIRATA as a frontman / guitarist / composer have released a superb debut album "A Floating Place" in late 2011. Based upon jazz rock, experimental, and artistic music, they played complex music structure sometimes with mysterious atmosphere, sometimes with pungent rhythm lines, and sometimes with heartwarming story telling. Guess their musical fundamentals have got formed mainly with 70s British progressive rock, but around them is not only the scene but also various essence and innovation that he's got from his rock experience especially on stage.

Although this album has no attraction as a unified complete fairy tale, each tune has well-constructed structure with magnificent battles amongst all instruments and three rhythm creators get crystallized perfectly. And amazingly, regardless of polyrhythmic, complex and bizarre melody / rhythm lines, their play battle sounds tremendously matured and intriguingly intersected without any annoyance ... this sound phenomena remind me their shoegaze pattern with playing a lone hand, and cannot let me feel sentimental journey enough for my palpitation.

Suppose it’s great for us to enjoy their playing on stage as the audience, but I cannot help feeling a bit regret this album doesn't have dramatic appearance but completely harmonized sessions with splendid skills, all of which should make me look forward to their newer creation. A great debut shot, nonetheless.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 10:08
In early February 2014, we Japanese have got shocked with a news; a deaf composer Mamoru SAMURAGOCHI who was called as "Japanese Beethoven" admitted he was a fraud and had persuaded a ghost composer Takashi NIIGAKI to compose all of his creations, along with Mamoru's musical blueprints.

All of Japanese mass media have criticized him as a fraud and everyday reported his lies or wickedness, but I do consider he's not simply a fraud but a real creator (for "musical conceptions"). You may wonder why I would say such a funky thing, but would you understand me via my review as follows?

Symphony No. 1 "Hiroshima" (2011) - Mamoru SAMURAGOCHI
Conductor; Naoto Ohtomo / Tokyo Symphony Orchestra

A symphony that can ring Japanese bell without suspicion. What a pity this creation is (and will be in future) unavailable owing to an opinion that the composer Mamoru SAMURAGOCHI may be a fraud.

It was said this Symphony No. 1 "Hiroshima" was composed by Mamoru SAMURAGOCHI and dedicated to people in Hiroshima killed with The Atomic Blast upon August 6, 1945 (and actually not Mamoru but a "ghost creator" Takashi NIIGAKI composed this according to what is confessed by them via Japanese mass media) ... Let me say with making up my mind to get plenty of serious criticism, such a colourful, intensive feeling, that reminds me of Mahler's symphonies as his strong respect, cannot spring out in a mind of a real sufferer in Hiroshima I guess.

From the beginning of the 1st movement, we must run across such a tough call in burnt Hiroshima City. Heavy, depressive soundstream and atmosphere by the string session cut my ears and eyes off ... exactly, I would see the sorrow of life under the dark sky flooded with fighters flying around. Lots of fire bombs falling down, and people running away with their life, I only could look at such a terrible scene via pictures taken in those days, but this suite burns something frightening and sorrowful into my mind. On the other hand, we can hear not only darkness but also something beautiful like pure hearts and clear tears of the people in Hiroshima. Sometimes sweet but powerful melody lines maybe via victims’ strong spirit can be found here and there. A mixture of complexity and eccentricity reminds us burnt fields with wreckage and lots of unpleasant stuffs,but simultaneously also vivid power for life. Cannot avoid staring at the reality - the 1st movement completes as though it would encourage their power and intention.

The 2nd movement, the longest part in this symphony, can give us an impression that the people there would have momentary relief and familial fruitful warmness during attacks by reaper fighters over the sky. Some moral or physical instability with scattered sound explosions is heard in this movement but basically magnificent, gracious human activity along with their quietness and safe, sound possession attracts us strictly. We should get immersed in especially sedative, solemn wind instrumental sound-river-flows. Why could the people keep safe and sound under the dark sky? This movement would let us know the reason. People under such a horrible situation were not weak at all but still powerful, enthusiastic, with a huge amount of fortitude. Of course can find much anxiety or serious pain upon body and mind, but more impressive stability through their inner world. Yes, this expression cannot be created without power for love, live, life. As heavy, deep as the previous one but less depressive and more hopeful we can say, although the last monotonous quiet phrase sounds like the end of all.

Mamoru SAMURAGOCHI

The last movement gets started with a loud sound thunderstorm reminding the deadend explosion and people in a remarkable panic to us. The fighter has flown up and got to the sky over the city, but nobody could not realize such an infernal matter would happen soon after that ... Oh, what a gentle air they had ... this soft texture may suggest how they would go to the hell. Upon the following scene, suddenly quite sharp-edged, imaginative, incredible sound quake shower wraps us completely, as if we would get veiled into a mushroom cloud and an incandescent bomb bursting. Yes, The Atomic Bomb, that was experienced only by Hiroshima and people there at that moment. What a tragic matter really. Followed by a calmness, that notifies us that there would be neither life nor hope. This period with the depth and despair we Japanese should never forget. The middle part of this track is quite addictive for us ... nothing except empty ground, empty feeling ... and, terrible radioactive fallout and ashes. However don’t give up ... we victims could survive, although nothing around us ... we should create everything hopeful FROM SCRATCH, and this fantastic enthusiasm can be found via the last part of this movement along with beautiful phrases and novel sound world created with the strings, winds and horns. Cannot help weeping from the bottom of our heart really.

Aside all noises around this symphony and the (so-called) composer, this symphony can be one of Japanese classical gems, and let me say again, why can he compose such a suggestive stuff without any knowledge / experience of Hiroshima?

Thank you for reading this blog, and my first review for a classical album.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Happy new year

I know you posted this three months ago but that picture made me remember how much I love Rome and miss my childhood there :(

There be dragons
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 21:41
^ Rome is my love too OriApprove

Anyway ...

I've attended DJAMRA 20th Anniversary gigs (w/ The Brown, Le Silo, Korekyojin, etc. etc.) yesterday, and created my review thread a while before ... please check it out! Wink

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:02
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/70551/

I bring some sad news about the fantastic p.s.f. records label.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 52>