Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 07:49
Hey every Japanese Jazz Rock fan! Big smile

An Osakan Jazz Rock pride DJAMRA have released their live album recorded upon November 10, 2013 in a live venue Nakatsu Vi-Code, finally. Cool

Under Trucks (Live At Vi-Code) (2014) - DJAMRA

What a fantastic gig with lots of pleasure.

This live album "Under Trucks" was recorded upon November 10, 2013 in an Osakan live venue called Nakatsu Vi-Code (on the stage another Heavy Prog outfit The Brown appeared ... sadly I could not attend though). And one of highly important matters is that this live album was the debut one for a female trumpeter and the specialty Sayaka KAWADA, actually. As Masaharu NAKAKITA (bass) always says, they play much pleasantly and delightfully "for the audience", naturally as artists. This gig got started, with lively audience's voices around the artists. Various gemmy essence of their brilliant sound can be heard here and there although their performance on stage sounds not perfect. Surprisingly mixing this album is splendid, as though we would join this gig and Djamrers would play in front of us. Very amazing indeed.

Sayaka's trumpet sounds relaxed and stretched ... it's obviously natural because she's been a member of Djamra for almost 3 years (she says she's always got strained on stage even now lol). Her instrumental battles with Shinji KITAMURA (alto saxophone) are worth listening to every time really. These battles should make us smile fully, along with her safe and sound appearance. However her play is always exciting, of course in this live lively album too.

The tracks, except the fourth "Phantom Thief Naitoh-san (Kaitoh Naitoh-san)", are well-known for us  who usually attend their gigs. All of them sound very vivid and speedy as well, and we cannot avoid feeling their strong intention as professional musicians. They would have shouted on stage "We play and you listen, enjoy!". That's it. Oh don't forget about the fourth (newer) track titled "Phantom Thief Naitoh-san" ... this song is played as the title track of a midnight TV theatre "not on the air yet (lol)" about a phantom thief only midnight (and a taxi driver in the daytime). Kaleidoscopic developments in this song proclaim his activity as a hermit obscurity. The audience would get immersed in such a colourful theatrical draw.

In conclusion, we should go to a venue and listen to their gig directly if we can. But this live album should be one of strategies for some fans who cannot join the gig. Without any suspicion we can consider it's a fantastic album, recommended.

Hey Masaharu, do hope you will distribute worldwide, not only in live venues.

Thank you for reading this blog.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - April 20 2014 at 09:11
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/70551/

I bring some sad news about the fantastic p.s.f. records label.

Recently very difficult for such an indie label to maintain their management / operation ... not only P.S.F. really.
Fortunately their online shop is available even now. Unhappy

Anyway, thanks for your posting Alex. Very happy with you, a Japanese indie fan. Approve
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/70551/

I bring some sad news about the fantastic p.s.f. records label.

Recently very difficult for such an indie label to maintain their management / operation ... not only P.S.F. really.
Fortunately their online shop is available even now. Unhappy
Anyway, thanks for your posting Alex. Very happy with you, a Japanese indie fan. Approve

It would be impossible for a fan of mindbending music to not like japans abundant offerings in this field. Alchemy records and p.s.f. records are currently two of my all time favorite labels.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 06:42
Don't know if this counts as prog, but wow! - what a band! (can't find any reference to them on the site, so probably not prog, but superb stuff nevertheless):

The Wagakki Band, which consists of seven musicians and the singer Yuko Suzuhana, deftly fuses traditional Japanese instruments with contemporary rock. Though the stage may get a bit crowded with a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist, a tsugaru-jamisen (Japanese lute) player, a koto (Japanese harp) player, a shakuhachi (Japanese flute) player, a taiko drummer, and a fan-swinging singer, they manage to put on a surprisingly dynamic and cohesive performance.

Members:
Vocal: Yuko Suzuhana
Shakuhachi: Daisuke Kaminaga
Koto: Kiyoshi Ibukuro
Shamisen: Beni Ninagawa
Wadaiko: Kurona
Guitar: Machiya
Bass: Asa
Drums: Wasabi

Cool

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 07:46
Hi, all Japanese prog fans.

A renowned Japanese keyboardist Bunmei OGAWA (Black PageMr. SIrius) has passed away upon June 25, 2014 ... age 53.

RIP Bunmei, your work has exerted tremendous influence upon Neo-Prog. Cry

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 11:26
RIP
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 07:02
Hi, all Japanese jazz rock fans!

Next Order's 7th live album will be out upon November 22, 2014. 

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:22
Hello, sorry for my loooooong hibernation. Embarrassed

I’ve come across a fantastic flute guru named Jun'ichiro TAKU this Sunday, and purchased an album by his project - a flute ensemble named Magnum Trio.
Not progressive rock really but leaning toward progressive music so let me introduce their gemmy creation here.

Magnum Trio (2013) - MAGNUM TRIO

MAGNUM TRIO were founded as a flute ensemble trio by Jun'ichiro TAKU, Yuya KANDA, and Kazuhiro KAJIWARA in 2006, their university (Tokyo Univ. Of Arts, Japan) days. Got renowned with their marvelous flute techniques and unique original play styles, and got appreciated not only in Japan but all over the world. In 2013 they’ve released the eponymous debut album in collaboration with Yuiko YASUDA (piano) on their own. This "Magnum Trio" must let us enjoy their flute variations, funky tunes, and as a result, playing flute itself definitely.

"EyEris Waves", a track suitable for the opening of this album, sounds like fresh, cool atmosphere with complex air turbulence represented utterly with superb flute technique and multi-dimensional sound combinations. Their breath creation reminds us directly of breath by nature ... that can called also as their "human nature". Avantgarde piano play by Yuiko is another fantastic dreammare too. "Samurai Blow", exhibited in a woodwinds competition in UK, can be claimed as their masterpiece. They notify the audience of Japanese woodwinds (Shakuhachi) aka Japanese soul along with a large amount of sound variations via Western woodwinds called "flute". I'm sure there would be their magnificent intention to control breath, finger, and flute itself. Exactly originated Japanese social solidarity (called "Wa") has been launched via their systemic bodies. On the other hand, they show us East-European texture flooded with percussive blows upon the following track "Variations On Bulgaria", contrary to the previous ones. Persistent repetitive sound footprints might confuse us I guess, and the confusion in front of us should kick us away into a bulky yogurt cup. Oh what a sour.

Little Finger Exercise ... playing flute only by the little finger

Anyway, "Clock A Larm", characterized with brilliantly high-tone, rhythmical flute voices and pleasant tune phrases, should be needed as an alarm clock for us Magnumers (please ignore Jun's snore lol). Very easy for us to hum, isn't it? Another curiosity can gush out just when we listen to "Recollection Merry-Go-Round". IMHO suppose they'd play this stuff only with a head (top) woodwind, correct? Incredible technique and concentration needed. The sixth track "Highland Park" is the name of a Scotch distillery established on the North side in Orkney Island. I love Highland Park Single Malt Whisky, featuring peaty smokey topnote, ground / earthy flavour, and deep salty taste. This song fantastically shows flavour of ground / earth, smoke, and Bourbon / Sherry barrel. Would they visit Orkney previously? Very vivid the impression is. Jun-ichiro, btw, says he compose tunes with enjoying Highland Park 12 Years Old (on his blog), and it's fun how he shoot a creation if he could enjoy the whisky bottled more formerly (actually, deeper and earthier and esterier).

Yuiko's classical piano is splendidly beautiful in "Guilaume Lekau : Piano Quartet in B minor", where sounds like the three flutists would stand and play behind her completely (no? :P). Cannot shout "gemmy" enough, even if I did hundreds of times. On the contrary, suggest "Magnum Arab" be one of the jazziest pieces of all upon their library. Mysterious, religious veils around Arab world we can feel here and there, and at the same time, we can get immersed in their mysterious, wondrous play styles as well. The last "Magnum Bee" sounds like a bee flies around and around, very quickly and very smoothly, with loud buzz. But we feel not annoying but delightful via such a speed flute guru. Oh they might shout loudly "Hi there!" and let us keep opening the mouth forever.

Yikes. What a splendid work this debut creation was. Wish the mixing of this album could be better (cannot get deeper, louder sound explosion like Magnum, their title!), but we can say this creation can propose us their extreme, incredible flute techniques and delightful tunes. Enjoy!

Got Jun'ichiro's signature ... what a surprise. Big smile

FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FragileKings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:16
Well, this is just the thing I was thinking about asking. I want to find some Japanese prog that really hits me. When I first came here 15 years ago, I did not know about progressive rock even though I listened to progressive bands. I sampled a lot of indy bands here in Japan and liked a few. But after a few years I lost interest totally. Now I am wondering what bands might impress me. And this post has provided me with some good starting points. Thanks for that!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:27
Excellent Damo Thumbs Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FragileKings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:53
Now I have listened to a few songs from Stromatolite by Outer Limits on YouTube and that's exactly what I was hoping to find here in Japan. Next I'll look for some good Japanese progressive metal. I am glad I stumbled across this forum post today!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 15:13
Ahem, very glad to say that:

A Japanese Heavy Prog combo
The BROWN have released three single tracks via iTunes and so on, upon September 1, 2014.

Yakochu (4:46)

Sairo
(3:14)

Odoru Kimi (4:42)

Each of three, in the same vein of their heavy, bluesy composition, a tad quirky structure, and lyrical appearance exerted as well, is shorter and sounds more of pop, more catchy than their previous creation "MelloW". Their intentional strategy for letting the audience feel "synergy" along with their soundscape, featuring mellow / dramatic guitar phrases, violently percussive kicks, tonic female shouts, and their united nation, cohesiveness.

Their iTunes page is
here ... enjoy!

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 15:47
Hi, Peter (FragileKings)! Thank you for acquisition of the interest in Japanese progressive rock, and especially for your posts! Big smile

Well, as you know, there are two mainstreams in Japanese prog scene ... one is Symphonic leaning toward the 70s British prog especially Genesis, and another is Psychedelic that was exerted as the Japanese originality. Outer Limits is the former, and Les Rallizes Denudes is the latter ...

Looks like you love Symphonic or Neo scene, where quite a few Japanese combos have got immersed in.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Excellent Damo Thumbs Up

LOL

Hope we will work together in some Team in near future. Approve
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FragileKings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 17:02
Hey, Damo thanks for your response.
I didn't realize this post was already 43 pages long! Imagine how much good music is recommended here.
Well, I just received six new CDs and six more are on the way, so my ears will be quite busy for a few weeks. There are so many albums I still want to buy too. But I'll get Outer Limits before the end of this year and I'll check out a few other Japanese prog bands too.

I find a lot of bands I have heard try very hard to emulate a particular sound and they are OK. But the best bands are the ones who develop their own sound. You have added a new destination to my journey through the Proglands.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 17:20
I really looking forward to receiving the new albums by Happy Family
and Le*Silo soon.

Is there any live left in the synphonic genre in Japan?

Edited by TheH - October 11 2014 at 17:22
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 07:48
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I really looking forward to receiving the new albums by Happy Family
and Le*Silo soon.

Is there any live left in the synphonic genre in Japan?
Le Silo's newest album "Ke-Sa-Mi-No-" (a reverse slang  of "let's drink Japanese sake") has been out already. Sadly I have not got yet (in near future I'll meet them and get the gem!).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 01:11
Hello! I should review such a Japanese creation drenched in New Age, Ambient trend in 1990s, shouldn't I?

Quote PHONOGENIX is the solo project (occasionally featuring session musicians) founded in the 1980s by Haruhiko TSUDA who has been renowned as the guitarist of SHINGETSU or ELECTRIC ASTURIAS. In the beginning he gigged as a new-wave band with some collaborators, and around 1990 created material almost by himself in the studio named Phonogenic Studio, sometimes with Yoh OHYAMA. His debut studio album "Metagaia" was released in 2005 as a crystal filled with his "sound and life" collection via Musea / Poseidon Records. He gigged with other ex-Shingetsu members in the anniversary festival.

For me "Metagaia" sounds like programming-based ambient / electronic music tinged with progressive pop remarkably influenced by Mike Oldfield, and sometimes mixture with improvised tribal shamanism and Japanesque atmospheric  surrealism can be heard. Basically his sound texture is soft and acceptable, that would be exerted inspiration for Pangaea ... especially in the first track "Divinity Rising" or following "Cosmo-Sphere".

But yes, he's a guitarist, and his guitar gem is very cool in "The Star Of D.O.G.", I do feel. Wish we could enjoy his progressive guitar-steps more and more. I'm afraid hypnotic ambience with programmed monotonous percussion might give vertigo to every progressive rock freak who loves Shingetsu. Particularly the latter of this album might have got immersed in New Age waves like Kitaro, sadly where we cannot feel any Neues except friendship with the tread of the times in 1990s or something, in my humble opinion.

However let me say, overall, "Metagaia" is a fantastic album decorated with a flood of Haruhiko's musical talent and imaginary world, in a sense, although he would follow the trend of progressive ambient / electronica through this album recorded mainly in the mid 1990s. Regardless of like or dislike. Worth trying.

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:48
↑    sounds like something I'd like. Ill have to check them out.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 07:40
^ Might be fit for Electronic, I guess? Nuke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 52>