Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 01:01
Ryoko ONO

Happily I could grab Ryoko ONO's solo album "Electronic Elements - second edition" finally ... released in Feb. 2014 via Janus Sounds but sadly could not get this first edition. Contacted Ryoko and she has sent me the second edition created by herself ... yappie! Big smile

Let me say my impression at first; a fantastic jazzy-improvised-electronic creation seasoned with musical / atmospheric tranquilizing agents.

Ryoko ONO's solo album "Electronic Elements", featuring her electronic experiments produced with Music Instrument Digital Interface, released worldwide in 2014 via Janus Sounds. Such an album title like "Electronic" or "Elements" had let me curious indeed, and according to my expectation, her avantgarde electronic launcher could make me crazy. I’ve got, in her kindness, the second edition of this album, with a new track "Slut Or Slattem" and a longer "Sunset" added. Not pure nor fresh but sticky, slimy electronic vatting, that is felt simply awesome.

Electronic Elements (Second Edition) (2014) on her own

Here and there we would got flooded with unstable percussive digital bullets and mellotronic sound waves kicking us into an "uneasy trance" upon the second track "Tetragon". On the other hand, in "Slut Or Slattem" we can touch life and death mixed with pain, madness, depression, and at last quietness through her programmed synthesizer gales. What swims beneath "Depths Of The Sea" characterized with dry, swift, and inorganic digital percussion attacks? Difficult to make a definition but that reminds us of something obscure moving quickly along with randomized patterns, at least Ryoko's inner depths of the sea.

Upon "Sunset" are tribal texture, beautiful scape, and remarkable anxiety in the dark ... all of which be expressed with unsteady, rough, tough electronic percussion like a merry-go-round in an old amusement park. The last "Extra" is the compilation of her electronic elements blended with nobility, gorgeousness, scatter, manie, calmness, kaleidoscope, safe and sound. We can make sure that Ryoko should create such a electronic gem quite intensively through this epilogue.

At the same time I feel her saxophone play should be important also in this creation. "Ubiquitous" is a good example, where her enthusiastic saxophone play could drown electronic percussion perfectly out. By the way in the first one "Polygon" her play and the digital percussion killer can get superbly harmonized, crystallized. Another atmospheric departure between a surrealistic quiet electronic and a repetitive saxophone phrase can be experienced in "Ensemble". "Dual" is one of my favourite tracks in this album. Very enjoyable to imagine that Ryoko might play plenty of improvised saxophone phrases to beat electronic percussion completely. Her saxophone play is beautiful, flavourful as well, even if avantgarde or experimental. Wondering how she would record "Sunrise" based upon her crazy saxophone launcher merged perfectly with digital percussion. Very mysterious, and amazing really.

In conclusion, the woodwinds and their luxurious sounds cannot be avoided for Ryoko and us (her freaks) indeed but I'm sure she's left such an excellent solo creation for us. Enjoy such a kaleidoscopic agent.

And more happily she's sent me this thank-you-mail ... what a lucky man I am! Shocked

Thank you for reading this blog.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 22:56

Hi, every jazz rock / Japanese progressive rock freak! Big smile

One of Japanese jazz rock prides NEXT ORDER's 7th live album "Chronosystem", compiled with material via a 6-day gig at Kobe Big Apple in 2013, will be out upon November 22, 2014! Clap

Chronosystem (2014) - NEXT ORDER

The album has got available only on their Japan tour from October, 2014. Star
Authentic, there are pros and cons around them though.

This "Chronosystem" is released as Next Order’s 7th "live" album (as everyone knows, they’ve recorded and released only live albums because the atmosphere between the audience and the players on stage is pretty important for them) via their stages "for six successive days" at Kobe Big Apple. Sounds like their stages would be quite enthusiastic for the audience, even with their mental / physical tiredness beyond expression. And we fans have got very proud of their "enthusiasm" coming out soon. I’ve checked a "rough mix" through the courtesy of the frontman Yuji (guitars) and felt their gemmy, prospective texture enough. ... And the time has come. Finally the official "glass-pressed CD album" has been released.

Anyway, on the current progressive rock scene where lots of artists tend to play "self-assertive / self-satisfactory" music that cannot be thought as enjoyable ones for the audience, Next Order is one of artists who can let us enjoy their music gems, let me say. Very surprising their "rhythmic axis" never get blurred ... due to their splendid rhythm section - Hiroshi (drums, percussion) and Atsutomo (bass) - I imagine. The first track "Geppetto", a mixture of loudness and calmness along with their rockin’ soul, is suitable for the opening number in this album. The soul of jazzy quietness amongst some explosive heavy parts reminds us of cool cool water. On the contrary, the next ones "Desert Yellow" and "Silver Tortoise" show something like experimental simulated experiences to us. Via their orthodox formation, how can they launch such a paradoxical sound like them? Interesting indeed.

Oh one of their live masterpieces "Killer Hornet", that I’ve reviewed as a deathcore like Napalm Death or Kyuss previously, is very cool as well. Much shorter than another (only 4-minute) but I guess this song would have very intensive power for their stage always. "SIMM55" looks like another standard of theirs (already released in their 4th album), where two brilliant guitarists Yuji and Takumi exert magnificent battles on each other, with smooth but impressive guitar trails. "Dragon" ... like a dancing King. What I want to say is that this complex but funky, pleasant track reminds me of a cute Dragon - a cure bassist (sorry) dancing to the music. The atmosphere of this song is not typical for the title Dragon but lol. The last "Beside" can be heard as a dramatic suite along with their 10-year lively existence. Ups and downs, rises and falls there were, but they’ve always played good music with their strong intention for the audience. Good call.

Would like to say it’s quite difficult for us to continue producing sounds as we like. Suggest we would get immersed in their professional (but heartwarming) plays although everyone says they are professional. Ahem, forgive my personal humble opinion.

Please visit their Facebook Page if you want to know more info.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 22:40
Announcement; Thanks all, I've stepped down from a PA Admin to a Senior Member.
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FragileKings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 02:53
Now I have Stromatolite by Outer Limits. I have only listened to it twice through but it sounds really good. I will review it a little later after I have digested the music more. Thanks for this post. It led me to discover the music of another great band!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 03:47
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Announcement; Thanks all, I've stepped down from a PA Admin to a Senior Member.

I just now saw this. I hope this is not a goodbye forever , please stick around for the trips!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:13
Me too. What does it mean ? I'm not sure to understand. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 17:39
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

Now I have Stromatolite by Outer Limits. I have only listened to it twice through but it sounds really good. I will review it a little later after I have digested the music more. Thanks for this post. It led me to discover the music of another great band!
Hey Pete, I guess you're in Tokyo now ... lots of CD stores flooded with progressive rock items are in your city, I'm very excited when I go on a trip for Tokyo! Smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 17:41
Yeah thanks Alex and Pierre, now I'm too pressed with my real work to work enough for PA as an Admin ... now taking days-off (maybe) for a while. Beer
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FragileKings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 18:39
Damo, ohayou! Actually I'm out in Saitama but further northwest. I do all my shopping on Amazon or occasionally on HMV. It's easiest to find what I'm looking for and at the best price. Hey, I'm listening to Outer Limits right now!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 21:55
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Yeah thanks Alex and Pierre, now I'm too pressed with my real work to work enough for PA as an Admin ... now taking days-off (maybe) for a while. Beer

You certainly are deserving of a break from the occasional insanity here. Relax with some jams and choice drink when you get the opportunity
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 01:15
Goodbye, my friend. See you soon.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:09
Hi, PA mates!

Forgive my loooong hibernation but I'm alive (and a tad pressed with my real work ... today I've attended lectures for industrial physicians in Tokyo and now staying at a hotel, with a glass of beer!) and come back!

A phantastyk present's come to me!

A week before I've enjoyed a regular concert by a local symphonic orchestra and found a fantastic flutist (and actually my FB mate) Noriko MIYAO. She's recommended her "Irish trad folk" project named Leap Rick for me ... finally I've grabbed their debut album, and completed my review yeah!

LEAP RICK ... (from left to right) Noriko MIYAO (Irish flute), Yumi KIRIYAMA (fiddle), and Natsue MORIMOTO (percussion)

Sorry for my mediocre expression but faithfully pastoral atmosphere they launch.

Croí An Cheoil (2014) - LEAP RICK

The project LEAP RICK was formed as a Japanese "Irish trad folk" trio in 2012. With a strong intention to come up with "faithful Irish flavour and texture", they've launched the debut album "Croí An Cheoil" in late 2014 through lots of gigs around Okayama, Japan.

Not familiar with Irish trad folk but happily Leapers would have let me grasp the point of soundscape, I suggest. It's kinda tough call for artists to show ethnicity (whether they live there or not). Guess they've visited Ireland and felt the air, temperature, flavour, or human nature, and now shoot them precisely via their terrific musical technique. And playing with much pleasure is important too. Can feel their smile and hearty warmness via this creation, let me say. Yumi's fiddle sounds of delicate sensitivities but simultaneously of swift, sharp-edged activities. Natsue's tribal percussion lets us feel strongly heartbeats through her rhythmic, fantastic knocking-the-heaven-door. And wow what a flexible Fantasia the timbre of an Irish flute is. Would you feel not only playing technique but also unification with her instrument as one of her music friends, around Noriko? And the three Japanese-Irish giants sometimes chase each other complexly, sometimes get merged with, and finally create a big fairytale.

All trad songs are filled with simple phrases, each of which be drenched in mysterious North Euro coolness and brief tribal madness, both of that loop the loop and kick us into trance. Yup just as if we would fly promptly for Ireland and enjoy the cool and green air, exactly because of this madness ... that cannot be realized in their composition ("Eternal" and "Cyclists Of Inishmore"). On the other hand, these two stuffs have another appearance. They've squeezed their straight longing for Ireland, Irish trad, and the heartwarming atmosphere, maybe without themselves. No suspicion they play their original Irish folk, though. In other words, pure pleasure, pure happiness get crystallized in these two. Can enjoy with relaxation, can't we?

Very glad this album can make you want to take a trip to Ireland, and let me say thanks to Noriko for suggesting such a phantastyk creation. Yay!

Thank to Leapers for your superb creation!

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 01:06
Hello, so sorry for my long hibernation but as posted in another thread, I've attended an avantgarde / jazz / progressive rock event produced by Le Silo upon April 18, 2015. We the audience enjoyed splendid gigs by LE SILO, DJAMRA, and CONTI ... that were founded as an experimental rock duo in 2000 by Takuma KOBAYASHI (drums, percussion) and Shinji KASHIMA (sitar and curry spices).

Shinji KASHIMA (sitar and curry spices)

Takuma KOBAYASHI (drums, percussion)

What a mysterious, ethnic, and eccentric vibe they launched!
... Please check this soundcloud, where the fantastic gig recorded.

And their first mini album ... Of' Lopien' sounded me of another fantasy.

... Of' Lopien' (2004) - CONTI
Quote A fantastic hot sunshine music, but not pop nor reggaeish. :P

Not known them at all until April 18, 2015, and I've got so glad I could come across with them really. Flooded with energetic vibes, a mid-30s eccentric duo named CONTI smash gorgeous quirkiness upon every single track. Yes, the beginning sound shot of this mni album reminded me of their superb gig and the fruitful night in Tokyo. Just the same, let me say, but strongly recommend you for attending their fresh gig, actually. The drummer / percussionist Takuma's up-tempo multirhythmic counter attacks exert massively their funny, funky, and fine appearance upon their soundscape, and the sitarist Shinji's mysterious, and a tad coquettish sitar soundwaves launch such an ethnic power shower here and there (and don't forget Shinji is one of the managers of a catering Indian curry shop!). Simple and repetitive phrases remind the audience of punk-sie, psychedelic and industrial rock Fantasia ... just like Aburadako, one of Japanese incredible post-punk vanguards. Not strange as Hirotomo's voices or lyrics (and to be honest, not sure they get influences by Aburadako really), but their brilliant sound-explosion, tremendous and mysterious ethnicity, and their young (!) power will give us magnificent energy and elixir of music life. Their first mini album gives us pleasure. And it's a pity we can listen to their fine world only for 17 minutes. Cheers!

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 05 2015 at 19:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 04:45
Welcome back DAMO !

We missed you  Images
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 19:39
Merci Beaucoup Pierre! Big smile
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:16
Wow! I'll bet that was an enjoyable event! :)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 08:55
^ Many thanks Gregie. In near future do hope we will join some Japanese gig together! Big smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:04
And I've got another gemmy album at Rooster North Side ... LE SILO's third (and the newest) album "Kesamino" (in Japanese Drinking Alcoholic Beverage) ... for a long while we fans have waited for this one!

Kesamino (2015) - LE SILO
Quote For a long while, we LE SILO freaks had waited for their third studio-based creation (maybe for a decade we had to wait for their newest one) and finally the sunshine day has come to us, with their hard efforts and the independent label Disk Union's great collaboration. Woohoo, what a happiness ... there are lots of their live repertoires in this album, with soft and smart production and arrangement (actually, that cannot be said as my favourite production sorry).

In the first track "Zunda Zunda Tsu", played upon the gig at Rooster North Side upon April 18, 2015 too, the three Le Silers enjoy their funky, multirhythmic play "with the audience". So difficult for the audience to make a handclap rhythm to the song but they always say "Our rhythm should merge with each other", and it might be true lol. Exactly this is to feel unified around the stage I suggest. "Ha-Hi-Ho-Hi-" is one of their repertoires upon stage, that sounds quirkily jazzy with their meaningless, passionate phrase shouting. Sounds quite cool indeed but not simple. Pretty eccentric and full of pleasure as well. "Paro Paro" can be called as one of their gems along with complex multi-polarized rhythm steps, crazy danceable uptempo ballooning, and excellent rigidity under their sound shower. Listen and you will repeat the word Paro Paro with Miyako, I guess. A short acoustic guitar solo (by Yoshiharu) "Snow-capped Land" might be sung as his hot impression when he stumbled upon a snow-filled ground.

"Kenji" ... wonder they sing for whom. A fine, enjoyable track really, that reminds me of somebody familial with them, maybe as a party friend. Surely very pleasant for us to dance to this track under freakout condition yeah. "Hypochondria In May" sounds very suggestive. Suppose they be very enthusiastic but very nervous for music and their life style, and they sometimes suffer from everything around them and create lots of fantastic (and usually mysterious) stuffs. "Numazapa III", always enjoyed upon their gigs, was created and produced by Michiaki aka Mitchie, the drummer / percussionist / singer / iron man. Quite tough, strong, hard edged, and exaggerated, but simultaneously all Le Silers can play / sing the track very hopefully and naturally. Oh, it's exactly their real essence. Superb.

"A Girl Possessed In Kotatsu" ... basically a song of a girl keeping herself warm in a Japanese leg warmer, but not safe and sound. Wonder why not sounds warm but also in this track their attitude for every work and life could be heard. As brilliant musicians and hard workers, and especially Japanese sake reviewers (like me :P), they might consider there is no useless time for them, I'm sure. Sometimes sounds soft and smooth but sometimes sharp and tense. "Breath Of Ice" is a piano solo piece by Miyako, one of fantastic artists and beautiful mademoiselles, where are short but gorgeous piano paragraphs here and there. "Whisky And Soda" is another repertoire of theirs, and notifies us of their incredible enthusiasm for whisky or sake or alcoholic beverage. Oh not forget their symbolic facility of recreation and life, public baths. In "Overture Of Let Me Take You A Public Bath" something unstable or mysterious against an institution that they visit for the first time can be heard, but at the same time we can find they get immersed or addicted in such a mystery. Interesting indeed. The last massive attack "Hevika Shot" sounds like they make a battle against a terrible snake, or they exert a tough tribal texture upon the audience, along with complex rhythms and intriguing music vibes. Another gem of Le Silo, let me call.

Totally this can be called as an excellent album, and let me say this creation could be more fantastic if the remixer clarified their sound more and more explosively upon the mixing of this album, I'm sure. A tad regretful their sharp and strict play sounds slightly softer and dimmer than in the previous two albums. But no suspicion this is a must for us. Thanks to Yoshiharu, Michiaki, and Mademoiselle Miyako for letting us enjoy such a great creation ... and yes, make us crazy forever via your incredible stages.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:22
Thumbs Up Great stuff Damo, according to the first track" Zunda Zunda Tsu " on YT. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvPONkairg
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 09:35
^ Wow, Pierre! Many thanks for your notification! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>