Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414243
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Moderator / Psych Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 01:01
Ryoko ONO

Happily I could grab Ryoko ONO's solo album "Electronic Elements - second edition" finally ... released in Feb. 2014 via Janus Sounds but sadly could not get this first edition. Contacted Ryoko and she has sent me the second edition created by herself ... yappie! Big smile

Let me say my impression at first; a fantastic jazzy-improvised-electronic creation seasoned with musical / atmospheric tranquilizing agents.

Ryoko ONO's solo album "Electronic Elements", featuring her electronic experiments produced with Music Instrument Digital Interface, released worldwide in 2014 via Janus Sounds. Such an album title like "Electronic" or "Elements" had let me curious indeed, and according to my expectation, her avantgarde electronic launcher could make me crazy. Iíve got, in her kindness, the second edition of this album, with a new track "Slut Or Slattem" and a longer "Sunset" added. Not pure nor fresh but sticky, slimy electronic vatting, that is felt simply awesome.

Electronic Elements (Second Edition) (2014) on her own

Here and there we would got flooded with unstable percussive digital bullets and mellotronic sound waves kicking us into an "uneasy trance" upon the second track "Tetragon". On the other hand, in "Slut Or Slattem" we can touch life and death mixed with pain, madness, depression, and at last quietness through her programmed synthesizer gales. What swims beneath "Depths Of The Sea" characterized with dry, swift, and inorganic digital percussion attacks? Difficult to make a definition but that reminds us of something obscure moving quickly along with randomized patterns, at least Ryoko's inner depths of the sea.

Upon "Sunset" are tribal texture, beautiful scape, and remarkable anxiety in the dark ... all of which be expressed with unsteady, rough, tough electronic percussion like a merry-go-round in an old amusement park. The last "Extra" is the compilation of her electronic elements blended with nobility, gorgeousness, scatter, manie, calmness, kaleidoscope, safe and sound. We can make sure that Ryoko should create such a electronic gem quite intensively through this epilogue.

At the same time I feel her saxophone play should be important also in this creation. "Ubiquitous" is a good example, where her enthusiastic saxophone play could drown electronic percussion perfectly out. By the way in the first one "Polygon" her play and the digital percussion killer can get superbly harmonized, crystallized. Another atmospheric departure between a surrealistic quiet electronic and a repetitive saxophone phrase can be experienced in "Ensemble". "Dual" is one of my favourite tracks in this album. Very enjoyable to imagine that Ryoko might play plenty of improvised saxophone phrases to beat electronic percussion completely. Her saxophone play is beautiful, flavourful as well, even if avantgarde or experimental. Wondering how she would record "Sunrise" based upon her crazy saxophone launcher merged perfectly with digital percussion. Very mysterious, and amazing really.

In conclusion, the woodwinds and their luxurious sounds cannot be avoided for Ryoko and us (her freaks) indeed but I'm sure she's left such an excellent solo creation for us. Enjoy such a kaleidoscopic agent.

And more happily she's sent me this thank-you-mail ... what a lucky man I am! Shocked

Thank you for reading this blog.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Moderator / Psych Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 22:56

Hi, every jazz rock / Japanese progressive rock freak! Big smile

One of Japanese jazz rock prides NEXT ORDER's 7th live album "Chronosystem", compiled with material via a 6-day gig at Kobe Big Apple in 2013, will be out upon November 22, 2014! Clap

Chronosystem (2014) - NEXT ORDER

The album has got available only on their Japan tour from October, 2014. Star
Authentic, there are pros and cons around them though.

This "Chronosystem" is released as Next Orderís 7th "live" album (as everyone knows, theyíve recorded and released only live albums because the atmosphere between the audience and the players on stage is pretty important for them) via their stages "for six successive days" at Kobe Big Apple. Sounds like their stages would be quite enthusiastic for the audience, even with their mental / physical tiredness beyond expression. And we fans have got very proud of their "enthusiasm" coming out soon. Iíve checked a "rough mix" through the courtesy of the frontman Yuji (guitars) and felt their gemmy, prospective texture enough. ... And the time has come. Finally the official "glass-pressed CD album" has been released.

Anyway, on the current progressive rock scene where lots of artists tend to play "self-assertive / self-satisfactory" music that cannot be thought as enjoyable ones for the audience, Next Order is one of artists who can let us enjoy their music gems, let me say. Very surprising their "rhythmic axis" never get blurred ... due to their splendid rhythm section - Hiroshi (drums, percussion) and Atsutomo (bass) - I imagine. The first track "Geppetto", a mixture of loudness and calmness along with their rockiní soul, is suitable for the opening number in this album. The soul of jazzy quietness amongst some explosive heavy parts reminds us of cool cool water. On the contrary, the next ones "Desert Yellow" and "Silver Tortoise" show something like experimental simulated experiences to us. Via their orthodox formation, how can they launch such a paradoxical sound like them? Interesting indeed.

Oh one of their live masterpieces "Killer Hornet", that Iíve reviewed as a deathcore like Napalm Death or Kyuss previously, is very cool as well. Much shorter than another (only 4-minute) but I guess this song would have very intensive power for their stage always. "SIMM55" looks like another standard of theirs (already released in their 4th album), where two brilliant guitarists Yuji and Takumi exert magnificent battles on each other, with smooth but impressive guitar trails. "Dragon" ... like a dancing King. What I want to say is that this complex but funky, pleasant track reminds me of a cute Dragon - a cure bassist (sorry) dancing to the music. The atmosphere of this song is not typical for the title Dragon but lol. The last "Beside" can be heard as a dramatic suite along with their 10-year lively existence. Ups and downs, rises and falls there were, but theyíve always played good music with their strong intention for the audience. Good call.

Would like to say itís quite difficult for us to continue producing sounds as we like. Suggest we would get immersed in their professional (but heartwarming) plays although everyone says they are professional. Ahem, forgive my personal humble opinion.

Please visit their Facebook Page if you want to know more info.

Thank you for reading this blog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414243
  Share Topic