Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 08:15
And finally their album excerpt has come.

Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 19:24
Anyway last night I've attended Le Silo's gig at Placebo (Osaka, Japan). Sorry there's no photo of the gig but the three splendid musicians played extensively and powerfully as well ... tunes mainly in their fourth album that has almost been finished mixing and will be released this winter (maybe in December, 2019).

... And "Live Cafe & Bar Placebo" is in this renowned leisure centre "Misono Building" in Osaka.

Clap
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 03:11
Stance Tongue ... (from left to right) Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass), Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophones), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitars)

Hey all, another splendid jazz / funk (not prog though) project have come from Nagoya, Japan.
Quote A Nagoya-oriented jazz / funk combo STANCE TONGUE were founded in 2014 by Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophone), Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitar), and Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass).

They've released the second album "Our" in the summer 2019.
Our (2019) - STANCE TONGUE

Foundation is everything. Sounds like STANCE TONGUE's second creation "Our" mentions these words via the nine tracks by the quintet, let me say at first. A Nagoya-oriented jazz / funk quintet STANCE TONGUE were founded in 2014 featuring five individual talented musicians each of whom has different musical basis and taste from the others, but they can be merged, unified, harmonized, and completely crystallized as a perfect sound collective in this album (and maybe on stage, I've not attended yet though). Every tone via their instruments gets synchronized together and knocks our mind door step by step. Without any eccentricity nor oddness, the five gemstones polish themselves to brilliant gems through modest but steady play technique.

Keyboard-based beautiful lines here and there created by Hiroaki are wonderful, as if we lay down in a flowergarden. In "Freeway" it's crazy fascinating that fantastic saxophone vibes and percussive drumming are chasing after each other. Yumi's saxophone play should colourize their entire soundscape, it's apparent. Eizo's complicated guitar phrases in "No. 179" (means what?) is great indeed but no exaggeration nor bombast around him ... what an importance. Needless to say, the rhythm section - Nobukazu's drumming and Atsutomo's bass play - keeps supporting the whole sound atmosphere as a ground basis. The two fundamental players especially the bassist have no grandeur nor extraordinariness, but they make themselves behave as a backbone of the quintet ... yikes, their strict pay in a supportive, modest manner should be quite tougher than under the spotlight.

In any situation or under any circumstance, we can enjoy their sincere play.

Thank you for reading this blog.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:04
^ Great stuff, thanks for sharing! I've been listening to a lot of Japanese Jazz/Funk in the last year or so, I find impressive the musicianship combined with keen melodic sense and groove. So complex and yet so accessible.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:15
Thanks Samuel! Big smile

I'll notify them your kind words soon. Heart
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:41
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Stance Tongue ... (from left to right) Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass), Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophones), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitars)

Quite enjoyable, and I really like how they use the saxophone ... as a part of the whole thing instead of (more often than not) going off a bit on its own.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 02:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Quite enjoyable, and I really like how they use the saxophone ... as a part of the whole thing instead of (more often than not) going off a bit on its own.
Thanks Pedro, and sorry for my missing your kind post. Embarrassed

They will get happy with your appreciation. Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 13:22
Hi,

Heard last night, for the first time, the NML thing, on Space Pirate Radio ... it was a combination of Sakamoto, Sylvan and Kraftwerk, and apparently for something that Princess Diana was working on ... no more landmines!

It was really fine, and worth the listen, even if it appeared to me on the ambient side of things.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, however, has been for a very long time a favorite of mine, specially including his soundtracks which are magnificent all around, and recently his piano versions of some of the material is ... a huge WOW ... even if I am a bit silly and love the triad of NEO GEO, BEAUTY and HEARTBEAT ... all three of these are just way out there but very neat, and seeing a concert off the tube where they do some of the material from Beauty ... is ... yeah ... no words for it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 22:30
I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese Psychedelic Rock and I hope to post a blog soon to spread the word about all of the great Japanese music out there just waiting to be discovered. Most of the amazing Japanese bands I know of sing in English too.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Heard last night, for the first time, the NML thing, on Space Pirate Radio ... it was a combination of Sakamoto, Sylvan and Kraftwerk, and apparently for something that Princess Diana was working on ... no more landmines!

It was really fine, and worth the listen, even if it appeared to me on the ambient side of things.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, however, has been for a very long time a favorite of mine, specially including his soundtracks which are magnificent all around, and recently his piano versions of some of the material is ... a huge WOW ... even if I am a bit silly and love the triad of NEO GEO, BEAUTY and HEARTBEAT ... all three of these are just way out there but very neat, and seeing a concert off the tube where they do some of the material from Beauty ... is ... yeah ... no words for it!
Glad you love Ryuichi Sakamoto. He's kinda musical genius with diversity.
Anyway acceptable, mainstream-y soundscape of Yellow Magic Orchestra should be created by Ryuichi, and crazy lines by Haruomi Hosono, I guess. Star
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:31
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese Psychedelic Rock and I hope to post a blog soon to spread the word about all of the great Japanese music out there just waiting to be discovered. Most of the amazing Japanese bands I know of sing in English too.
Thanks Paul.

Around 1970 some Japanese psychedelic vanguards like Flower Travellin Band / Yuya Uchida, Fried Egg, Hiro Yanagida, Food Brain, etc. etc. would like to go ahead for worldwide progressive rock scene, but there are lots of great combos singing in Japanese ... let's listen.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 05:37
Some of the superb early 1970's Japanese psychedelic bands I have in mind are:- Flower Travellin' Band, Flied Egg, Far Out & Far East Family Band.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:15

Hi, Japanese Zeuhl / Avant-Prog fans. A great news comes to us.
A new Avant-Prog / Experimental / Post Metal project founded by Ryoko ONO have got started under the moniker of PLASTIC DOGS.

Growl (2019) - PLASTIC DOGS
Quote Another brilliant album gem crystallized with four instrumental explosions filled with passion and technique. A Japanese heavy avantgarde madness PLASTIC DOGS were founded in 2017 as a brainchild of Ryoko ONO, one of the most Zeuhlish aggressive saxophone players in Japan. The quartet featuring four virtuosi - Ryoko (alto saxophone), Kota UEJI (drums), Tsuyoshi HAYASHI (guitars), and Yuji MUTO (guitars) - have recorded and produced material composed by Ryoko for 'setting up' their first full-length opus for over two years. Sounds like her composition was too complicated and too violently speedy even for the super-combo to play and harmonize together, according to Yuji's words (upon our rendezvous in June this year), but the four excellent players have completed this debut album "Growl" that has more and more powerful and energetic musical / progressive persuasion.

And let me say for all progressive rock freaks "please do not misunderstand, but some stable moments here and there are transient and quite fragile like a shimmer's life". The mainstream launched via the four impressive, intensive instrumental weapons is kinda sound extremity, like the sleeve pic figured and painted by Ryoko (flooded with her strong intention here methinks). This incredible melodic collection sounds sometimes jazzy, sometimes metallic, sometimes hooliganic, and sometimes funky (and no sexy hint allover lol). Of course, you would have serious stress fracture around your cervical vertebrae if you do headbanging to their songs (but their soundscape should enforce headbanging upon you sadly?). It's pretty mysterious and amazing their explosive play can be perfectly merged, unified, harmonized, and synchronized together. Lots of simple phrase repetitions are built up for such a complex global sound image. My love is "Zodiac" including slashy funky kinky appearances here and there. In "Fiona" some melodic guitar shouts sound like Carcass' "Heartwork" filled with splendid guitar works actually.

Their eleven infernal sound bullets will give you prime happiness for 47 minutes. Recommended for all avantgarde-progressive rock fans except ones with heart diseases.

Thank you for reading this blog.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:02
Great to see that this is still alive - got a lot of catching up to do Clap
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 12:19
Hi,

Was not sure how to introduce all this, but I wanted to give you all, and specially DamoXt a nice idea of some of the things that some of this music is played in at least one place. GUY GUDEN's SPACE PIRATE RADIO graced the airwaves in FM radio here in the West Coast for many years, and it finally has had the chance to get out of the "radio" business and do its thing independently. 

It can be heard on TwitchTV now, (https://www.twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio) ... and it is usually on its favored play time, which was California time on Sunday Night, Monday Morning and went on for 6 hours. When Guy returned to the air on TwitchTV, the amount of old folks that remember having heard the show some 20 years ago, or even as far as the original in 1974 ... is amazing, not to mention the feeling that you are actually meeting some old friends that you went to school and worked with.

I wanted to list a few things, that I know Guy has played over the years, and both YMO and SMB have been played all the way back to their first days, and it even included many of the solo efforts behind them, when the bands slowed down. You will find many of these names listed. None of these are "unknown" to us, and in the case of Ryuichi, his soundtracks, have also graced the show many times.

A lot of newer things are also listed, however, I ended up noticing that some of them were a bit older, so hopefully the folks here will excuse me for thinking that they were younger, as the material that you list here is. But it has been a huge part of my introduction to a lot of Japanese music, not to mention the amount of music that is used in film (I review foreign films!). 

If you have a chance, and I'll warn you that the show is NOT exclusive to any nationality whatsoever, it is a completely free form show that plays more "foreign music" than you can shake your ears at, and its audience has many of our friends from many corners of the world ... it's fun realizing that some friends are in Germany, Sweden, California, Spain, Japan ... and other places, listening to the show at the same time, and many of these had heard the show before in Santa Barbara, California.

if you have the chance, and want to hear something that defies description and makes radio sound like a totally dead lump of __________ (use your imagination and language!!!), that has no artistic value whatsoever for your imagination, then ... you would probably will enjoy this ... for a couple of hours ... you might not hear a lot of what you want, but this is a show about an "experience", not anything related to radio as you know it.

Here is a listing I was able to put together from the past 2 months ... and Guy is now doing a show on Friday Nights (California time) from midnight to 6AM as well (early Saturday morning here!) ... so you get a bit more to gnaw on.

Hopefully you won't think of this as just an old man's enjoyment ... but here is the best list I could make for now:

Yellow Magic Orchestra
Ryuichi Sakimoto (including many of the soundtracks!!!)
Ryuichi Sakamoto and Thomas Dolby
NML (Sakamoto, Sylvan and Kraftwerk)
Haruomi Hosono
Yukihiro Takahashi

Sadistic Mika Band
Kazuhiko Kato
Masayoshi Takanaka
Tsugutoshi Goto
Yumi Matsutoya
Yu Imai

Sketch Show
Hasymo
Akiko Yani
Ghost (Masaki Batoh)
Mono (Takaakira "Taka" Goto
Fantastic Plastic Machine (Tomoyuki Tanaka)
Kitaro 
Far East Family Band
Chronicle
Stomu Yamash'ta
Acid Mothers Temple (and so many variations!)

I'm sure more have been played that I did not list, and I will update as I can ... and thank you Guy for all the music, that most people have never heard before, in making sure it gets exposed out there ... 

Edited by moshkito - October 26 2019 at 02:42
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:19
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

Great to see that this is still alive - got a lot of catching up to do Clap
Tamijo! Hug

And why do you login via another id? Guess you might forget your previous password ... Ouch
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:22
Yeah Pedro, you're one of Japanese rock (including progressive ones) intellectuals really ... Cool
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:54

Yeah Pedro, you're one of Japanese rock (including progressive ones) intellectuals really ... Cool

I wish I knew a bit more, but not being able to purchase anything to have and stew on, takes a toll on my ability to hear things in their entirety, which has always been my preference.

And it looks like MONO is here in Portland on Wednesday the 6th ... I might get to see me some Japanese music finally ... if Damo Suzuki doesn't count of course!

But the real "intellectual" on the music and the names and the family trees would be Guy Guden ... it's almost insane how someone at his age still has the same experimental and far out ear that he had 46 years ago! And the Japanese contingent on his show is probably twice or three times what I listed ... I had to scramble to look at the listings of shows of Guy's that I have and then list the artist ... his list would probably be impossible to put together ... but I can tell you that since SMB and YMO, it is by far the most complete sets of folks I have ever seen. 

Btw CHRONICLE played in LA in 1976 or early 1977 I think ... and it was a very nice show. It was a music festival of some sort that had others in there, but right now I'm not sure I could list any others. 

今は時のすべて

(Like a Message From the Stars ... ???)

Edited by moshkito - November 01 2019 at 07:57
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 09:56

And why do you login via another id? Guess you might forget your previous password ... Ouch

Was stupid and used my work email back then Clown now at another job

NB: Saw Ground-Zero drummer Yasuhiro Yoshigaki with a 17 piece Free Jazz setup at Københaven Jazz Festival, that was crazy - very small location sitting in a sofa 2-3 meter from the stage Smile, and as wife was only one from your country within miles - we got a long nice chat with them all, the last 30 min before they got on stage. 

Edited by tamijo_II - November 01 2019 at 10:11
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 01:15
^
^^
Thumbs Up

Been a tad too pressed with my real life and work to update this blog but I'll try step by step. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>