Topic ClosedThe Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 191>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread
    Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:17
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the origins of your beliefs, or actually, lack thereof (in the case of Atheism) As I'm pretty sure that, unlike most cases with religion, atheism and similar secular school of thoughts are not imposed or taught by parents, it's more than likely that in most cases you will have reached ythe decision not to believe (or at least the decision to DOUBT) by your own free will (this doesn't mean ALL religious people haven't made their choice out of free will)  How did that happen? When, how old where you? Are you happy about your choice or at times you long for the days when you had something to believe?

I'd also love to hear about people who have their own versions of God, not dependant of churches or holy books or prophets....

Edited by The T - June 03 2009 at 22:23
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:19
...What qualifies for non believer?

I am a Deist.
Sooo, I believe in god but believe me I am NO fan of religion/church.
Besides, my belief in what god is, is not the standard (if you know what Deism is you understand)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:21

Yes... so we could say my question would include your case....

I'll change the title... and first post a little...

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:34
I strayed from Christianity not too long ago. It was a mixture of reflective self questioning, and perhaps not being able to find adequate answers to I suppose what you'd call the popular stipulations, such as suffering, the omnipotence paradox, lack of presence, etc.

I just can't feasibly believe in spiritual powers.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:37
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Yes... so we could say my question would include your case....

Excellent. And Non-Religious is for sure.
Quick background. I was born and raised Catholic but my family wasn't very "religious". I actually went to church every Sunday and did CCD. I went halfway through 8th grade, I remember since we were practicing for Confirmation. It was around here I just started losing touch with church. My mom always, "If I want to thank God for a beautiful day, or just experience him why do I have to be in that building with that 10 in my hand..."

She was Russian Orthodox.
Anyway, through H.S. I was agnostic/didn't care and did the whole "Opiate of the Masses, organized religion keeps you down etc" In college I had a change in some beliefs obviously, (if you want later I'll talk about my change). But I still....(to be polite) disagree strongly with organized religion/church. I think faith is fine, but it should PERSONAL. Kept to yourself, and does not need to involve church. That IMHO gets in the way of faith and that church's become about making money/getting numbers/or just become corrupt.

Without going into a 5 page thing, I hope this gets as much about me across as I could. Again, I'll explain more later.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:39
whatever happened to personal spirituality?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 22:45
I don't believe in free will, but then I'm a "non-believer" when it comes to a lot of things.  I'd describe myself as agnostic, and pretty much always would have.  I haven't much faith in God existing, nor faith that God does not exist in some form.  At times I've "swing both ways" to whatever extent.  I like to believe in something greater, but am unsure....( and don't wish to define God into existence according to my vague "feelings").  Don't know the origins of my non-beliefs, I've just not felt convinced either way despite spiritual desires.

Edited by Logan - June 03 2009 at 22:46
Just a fanboy passin' through.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 23:00
I was raised Catholic but religion never gelled with me. Always found it a bit odd to be told that god exists but Santa doesn't. In middle school, I read a lot about evolution(Started with reading Jurassic Park in 5th grade). In the beginning of high school, I read some Crowley and other Occultists and thought it was BS. I realized if these guys can write this sh*t, then the Bible isn't all that special.

What really made me an ardent atheist is taking anthropology courses and taking a course in early literature. The anthropology courses just opened my eyes more to our evolution and our state of affairs. As Hitchens like to say, we are not much more than self-aware primates. We are not perfect or unique, but that doesn't mean that I live an existentialist nightmare. It just means that humans, like the rest of the natural world came bout by evolution not by the guiding hand of a supernatural being. The literature course, made me realize of the absurdity of holding one particular and badly written book above all others. I mean, every damn culture has a creation tale suited for their needs.

Edited by KoS - June 03 2009 at 23:01
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 23:20
^ Almost the exact sentiments of my Anthro prof!
Funny, it was actually biology that tipped me from leaning "no higher power" to there is one
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:03
I have been an atheist for my whole life.
I went to church one with my mum cos I was too young to stay home by myself at the time (well I probably was but my mum didn't trust me at any rate, lol, I must have been about 11 years old) and there was dude rambling about hell for 4 hours. It was the most boring sh*t ever. Absolutely no offense intended to anyone religious reading this, but I honestly don't get how people go to a church service and not fall asleep or bring their iPod to listen to for the entire time, lol.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:09
see "Faithless" or "Ghost Of A Chance" by Rush.

It so happens that Peart's beliefs mirror my own
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:25

I was confirmed as a Methodist (got me when I was young, as per usual), and slowly just stopped believing any of that. It took awhile to shake off the fear of Hell n such, but that's mostly gone now. Then probably around 17 I wandered in deism and began getting into philosophy. By 18 I think I was more or less fully agnostic, but practically atheist. Now I'm in a hilarious stage where I'm trying not to care. Ideally, I want to be an apathetic agnostic--God might be there, religions are silly, who knows so why bother? Also, everything the Christians said about God is necessary for morality is true...but there probably isn't a Christian God, so I don't think any objective morality is possible, though it may seem so. Oh the hilarity!

Currently, I'm an Existential Aspiring Apathetic Agnostic Hedonist Who Does Not Have Solid Ground to Stand On and Thus Does Not Wish to Make Rash Decisions That May Harm People.

It sux.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:34
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

or 'Freewill'

WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:36
I was christened Anglican and moved to Methodist, then experimented with a lot of other religions
Now, I have come to the conclusion that religion is just a psychological crutch to get through life.
So now I am agnostic and will be a man and die with my boots on!!
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 00:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

or 'Freewill'

How could I forget that!?

I was so upset when I heard that Snakes and Arrows was going to be a "highly religious" album - that is - until I found out that they had the same thought pattern as me.

No one gets to their "heaven" without a fight.

Edited by King By-Tor - June 04 2009 at 00:41
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 02:43
I haven't moved away from religion (yet at least, but I don't think I will.), but I started distancing myself from the Methodist church I was raised in when I was 17. Listening to some old guy ramble on about his beliefs is not the ideal way to discover truth, IMO. As far as music goes, I can listen to almost any type of lyrics (Christian, Atheist, occult) as long as they are not overly hateful or intolerant toward any other school of thought.

Here's one I bet you guys hear a lot? "What's the use in trying to be good or accomplish anything if there's no higher power?" That's the typical weak religious mainline argument against atheism. However, I think that an atheist point of view in some ways raises the stakes. You don't have any external source to rely on for meaning, instead you have to create your own meaning. Plus this being the only life you get, you've not got any afterlife to fall back on. No mulligans as per reincarnation either.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 02:49
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

I was christened Anglican and moved to Methodist, then experimented with a lot of other religions
Now, I have come to the conclusion that religion is just a psychological crutch to get through life.
So now I am agnostic and will be a man and die with my boots on!!

Religion is a crutch for some, for other it isn't. For some it works the opposite way; they drive themselves to brink of suicide by creating impossibly high standards for themselves to live up to. That's kinda the way I go. I was the only kid I ever knew that gave up video games for lent b/c I thought they were probably immoral indulgences. But I have a lot of OCD issues in general, so it kinda depends on your personality I suppose.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Then may I be so bold to suggest that you change it once again? One can be a Christian without being religious, albeit hard for some to tell faith from religion. Moreover, Jesus hates religion.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 03:30
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Here's one I bet you guys hear a lot? "What's the use in trying to be good or accomplish anything if there's no higher power?" That's the typical weak religious mainline argument against atheism. However, I think that an atheist point of view in some ways raises the stakes. You don't have any external source to rely on for meaning, instead you have to create your own meaning. Plus this being the only life you get, you've not got any afterlife to fall back on. No mulligans as per reincarnation either.

Yes, I always found that one particularly funny. People who use such lines indirectly admit to being 'good' only because of fear of a higher power. Where's the moral in that, one might ask?

I have been an atheist for as long as I remember, although I don't believe children can be religious/non-religious as such. They do not have the means to grasp such things yet. Moreover, religion is completely irrelevant to the average 8-year old who's main concern is where to get his next dosage of ice-cream. I believe spirituality/religion is something you should learn about on your own. Preferably at a time when you feel ready to tackle such issues. Here in Finland, you are forced to choose between religion and ethics when you start school -  I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Religion shouldn't be taught at that age, imo.

As for me, religion was a non-issue at our house. My parents are both atheists, but they didn't force their way onto me, instead, they strongly encouraged me 'to find my own way', so to speak.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 03:43

Click Here to see if reality
 is a good fit for your life

Marc Perkel's Church

If it's Real - we believe in it!
Click on any of the logos above.  I think you might find it interesting.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 04 2009 at 04:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 191>