Topic ClosedThe Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

God appeared to me once. He was long haired and red eyed. He looked to be high as f**k. 

Yeah, sorry about that, I must have left the webcam switched on.
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:42

God appeared to me once. He was long haired and red eyed. He looked to be high as f**k. 

God? almost...

that's Mr. Nelson to you boy.....LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:46
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

^ has either God or Jesus ever show you any sign of affection or love????????? other than what has been preached to you................

hell yeah!!!!!

there was this red headed chick at Albion college in Michigan back in the 90's.....

she did teach me a new region

does that count?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:50
Well, i'm a non-believer.
Simply because i see the existence of a god or the construction of religion as a way to the unhappy, poorer ones, or like Zarathrusta say:"The Transmundanes",  to relieve from the suffering that living on the earth for these people are, to believe that in between the stars he can once more hope on something better than the earth, to relieve that after a sh*tty life on this earth he can only hope in a reward from another world.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 15:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ has either God or Jesus ever show you any sign of affection or love????????? other than what has been preached to you................

hell yeah!!!!!

there was this red headed chick at Albion college in Michigan back in the 90's.....

she did teach me a new region

does that count?

You bet, now that my kinda Deity. 

I'm guessing it was not a pure religion ...........  Embarrassed
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:02
We do need a church of Appliantology thread, can't discriminate against them either.....
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 16:20
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

We do need a church of Appliantology thread, can't discriminate against them either.....

What battery size do they take???
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 23:00

Ask L Ron Hoover
What?
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 23:05
Speaking of Athiest, they're a cool band Embarrassed

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 00:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ask L Ron Hoover

There's a sucker born every minute............LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 09:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that, I must have left the webcam switched on.
He had a British accent as all good gods should have. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 09:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

God? almost...

that's Mr. Nelson to you boy.....LOL
Might've been a mirror too...Cool
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 13:40
Should Canada's Blasphemous Libel Law be repealed?

http://centreforinquiry.ca/canadas-blasphemous-libel-law/

Originally posted by Canada’s Criminal Code Section 296 Canada’s Criminal Code Section 296 wrote:

296. (1) Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years

(2) It is a question of fact whether or not any matter that is published is a blasphemous libel.
(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under this section for expressing in good faith and in decent language, or attempting to establish by argument used in good faith and conveyed in decent language, an opinion on a religious subject.
R.S., c. C-34, s. 260.

It's too late to sign the petition: https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-382

Edited by Logan - January 24 2017 at 13:43
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 09:53
On the topic of blasphemy, (thou' more accurately - profanity) and something that was raised in the fact or fiction thread, how many people here use religious expletives in everyday speech and does it matter whether you are religious or not if you do use them?

Some twenty years ago, while somewhere between not being a christian any more and the realisation that if 99.9999% of all the world's religions that ever existed were invented by mankind then they all were, I made a conscious decision to try and stop using specifically christian expletives. Initially this was simply because as I had come into close contact with several wiccans and new age types whose somewhat clumsy and incongruous use of a stylised re-imagining of pagan expletives (By Jove!) or pronouncement of some prosaic curse in lieu of cussing would leave you wondering if you'd accidentally wandered into an impromptu rehearsal for an Elizabethan play spoken entirely in iambic pentameter. Their gauche attempts to avoid naming a deity they no longer believed in got me thinking. If I too didn't believe in the god of the christians and his begotten son then what is the value in invoking their names in expletive? Is this some slack application of the inane aphorism that there are no atheists in a foxhole, so crying Jesus H Christ! whenever I stubbed my toe automatically revoked my membership of the atheists clique and I was reduced to the rank of indecisive agnostic forevermore? Well, suffice to say, the conclusion I reached was "no", it's just very difficult to undo forty odd years of religious indoctrination, and figures of speech are the hardest thing of all to change. 

Not using them in written language was, and still is, relatively easy especially since all keyboards come equipped with a backspace key.  I'm still prone to typing the occasional "heaven only knows" or "go to hell" ... not that hell is christian word as such, or the concept of heaven is unique to christians, their invocation in this form from the pen of a native English speaker generally is. 

Then, in English there aren't any good alternatives that express exactly the same sentiment and meaning as those do. Of course you can get coarser and throw a "f'ck knows" or "f'ck off" in their stead but you can't bandy those around in polite company. 

But as religious oaths go they are relatively mild and while one must presume the existence of a heaven and/or a hell in order to to use those phrases in a literal sense, that isn't strictly necessary if they are used somewhat more figuratively. One could also argue that my use of them does not require me to believe either place exists, and neither does the person who I am saying it to have to believe that either - the only pact we share is that we both understand what the rebuke means.

In everyday conversation avoiding religious profanity a lot harder, especially when everyone around you is using them and you'd spent the first half of your life as a christian. As I said in t'other thread: "should someone pour a glass of iced water down my back I'm pretty confident that in the tirade of expletive[s] that will inevitably ensue several religious oaths will be uttered" and if I was atheist before that tirade then I'll be an atheist after it too.

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 13:23
And once more the sick power of religion has enabled thousands of people to stay silent when members of another religion are banned from a country, their country. Many supposedly "moral, decent" people who follow the cross are involved in this.

Once more, religion shows its true colors. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:04
IS GOD OBSOLETE OR DO WE NEED HIM?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:38

<span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">IS </span><span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb106, 106, 106; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">GOD</span><span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"> OBSOLETE OR DO WE NEED HIM?</span>

Of course, for God to be obsolete, or no longer needed, He must have existed and been relevant and needed in the first place, prior to becoming obsolete and no longer required. The question you ask presupposes this, probably not something a card carrying atheist would care to admit to, eh?

For billions of people around the world, of many faiths, God plays a big part in their lives. This is a matter of fact. It does not prove God exists, but it does prove a massive belief in such a supposition.

I have said before on this, and other, threads, the belief that God does not exist is as much a belief system as that which states that he does.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 15:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

<span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">IS </span><span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb106, 106, 106; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">GOD</span><span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"> OBSOLETE OR DO WE NEED HIM?</span>

Of course, for God to be obsolete, or no longer needed, He must have existed and been relevant and needed in the first place, prior to becoming obsolete and no longer required. The question you ask presupposes this, probably not something a card carrying atheist would care to admit to, eh?

For billions of people around the world, of many faiths, God plays a big part in their lives. This is a matter of fact. It does not prove God exists, but it does prove a massive belief in such a supposition.

I have said before on this, and other, threads, the belief that God does not exist is as much a belief system as that which states that he does.

For man to make up God and then decide that we don't need the concept of God anymore, God does not need to have existed. God is obsolete when dependant superstitious people realize that there is really no God thing, just the universe which I kinda think is enough...........
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 16:58
^Well.....enough for me would be just parallel universes...........as much as parallel realities............illusionist mindsets I guess shoud be concerned about them. Just only one universe I think is not enough............. Wink

Edited by Tillerman88 - January 30 2017 at 17:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 17:20
^ Cool and how many man made Gods in those parallel Universes LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191>