Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Light Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Light Orchestra
    Posted: June 05 2009 at 09:26
I'm becoming a pretty big ELO fan, ever since I bought "Out of the Blue."  Their music is very catchy, has great harmonies, and has an overall enjoyable sound.

So, who else likes them?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 09:52
I do, though I am not the greatest expert on their music. However, my husband (Micky, another forum member) is a big fan of theirs, and has all their early albums. On the other hand, when I was much younger I used to own a copy of Discovery, and liked it tooWink.
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 09:53
MeSmile! One of my first favorite bands when I was7 or 8. My older cousins had "Out of the Blue" and I had to have it too. I remember the concert broadcast on HBO around 1978.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:00
Me.  That's a band for which it would be impossible for me to choose a favorite song.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:01
I've got Out Of The Blue in LP.  Picked it up before I became a total prog freak. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:14
Ole' for ELO.  ELO are one of those bands that I have quite a few albums from, although admittedly I have only listened to each of them a few times here and there.  I'm most familiar with their greatest hits which I enjoy.  I also enjoy Tom Petty's Jeff Lynne era albums.
Calculate900 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:20
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ole' for ELO.  ELO are one of those bands that I have quite a few albums from, although admittedly I have only listened to each of them a few times here and there.  I'm most familiar with their greatest hits which I enjoy.

Same here, actually.  I don't own many ELO albums.  I only have "Out of the Blue," "A New World Record," "All Over the World," and "The Night the Light Went On in Long Beach."
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:48
Originally posted by Calculate900 Calculate900 wrote:

So, who else likes them?

Me!! Thumbs Up

The first concert I ever saw was on the "Out Of The Blue" tour at Wembley Arena in June 1978.

I remember being so excited with the lasers and space ship. It was fantastic.

That is still one of my favourite albums.

Smile

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 04:45
I really like them.  After Out of the Blue, you need to try El Dorado, followed by On The Third Day and A New World record.  Zoom should have done much better as well.
Oh and Time deseves a mention as well.  Half of it is crap, but half of it is really good.

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - June 06 2009 at 05:19
rosenbach View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 13:26
When i was 10 or 11 years (a looog time ago) my mother went to visit her sister in the US and brought me three cassettes: ELO's Face the music, ABBA's greatest hits and Donna Summer's Bad Girls (apparently they were recommended to her by my cousin who used to work at a music store), i really liked ELO, while ABBA and Donna Summer's tapes were kept by my sister. Some years later when i was older and after i had almost all the Queen albums i started buying ELO's albums on vynil; i still have at my mom's house these:

The Electric Light Orchestra
On the Third Day
Eldorado
Face the Music
A New World Record
Out of the Blue
Discovery
Xanadu Soundtrack
Time
Secret Messages
Balance of Power

I haven't listen to them in years, but i'm sure i still will enjoy them someday when i play them again.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 14:12
My Dad brought me A New World Record as a present when it was released - still a treat to listen to now. I remain a huge fan. Great stuffClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 18:43
I love the album Time.  And their version of Roll Over Beehtohven was a large inspiration for me to get into prog
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by Calculate900 Calculate900 wrote:

I'm becoming a pretty big ELO fan, ever since I bought "Out of the Blue."  Their music is very catchy, has great harmonies, and has an overall enjoyable sound.

So, who else likes them?

hmmm....  I guess I do hahha. 

enjoy...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 01:35
El Dorodo is  amazing. I listened to that album over the winter and was blown away. Jeff Lyne is a cool guy. I love the whole proggy beatles mixed with orchestra feel that Electric Light Orchestra has.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 01:56
I always liked their music, but I didn't really apprciate them until I saw them live. I think the concert tour was for Out Of The Blue. Oddly enough, I was beginning to become quite a prog fan at that time and they had as an opener on that tour a guitar player I had never heard of, some joker called Steve Hillage! Anyway, it turned out to be a true gem of a concert.

"Arf, she said"
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 07:34
I grew up listening to "Face the Music", "Out of the Blue", and "Discovery" (and...uh.. the Xanadu soundtrack), so those bring back fond memories for me.  Face the Music is my favorite, and includes one of my all time favorite songs, "One Summer Dream".  But really the whole album is a winner, and ditto for the others I mentioned.

I've collected all of their albums up through "Time". I'm not particularly interested in investigating the Bev Bevan version of the band.   The first 3 or 4 albums (No Answer, II, On the 3rd Day, Eldorado) have some neat progressive touches, I recently got these on their latest CD remaster and am digging them too.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 17 2009 at 07:40
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
clarkray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 15:27
Nice to see ELO getting some love from the prog people here.  They were (well, still are) my first music "crush" (later that happened with Genesis, Yes, Porcupine Tree) where I had to get everything I could lay my hands on. The early albums are my favorites ('ELO', 'ELO II', 'On The Third Day', 'Eldorado', 'Face The Music') but by Discovery I start to lose interest.  'Time', as mentioned by others, is a darn fine album (mostly).  Some real gems on there like 'Ticket to The Moon', 'Twilight', and '21st Century Man'.

I'll always prefer the early material though.  '10538 Overture' and 'Kuiama' are what I think of when I think ELO.

Just a note, if you're going to look into the early albums, you absolutely must find the EMI remasters of them since all other releases I've heard are really muddy.  They are harder to find than the Sony release but the clarity is worth it.  If you can't find them anymore (they are getting scarcer and scarcer), this compilation is from EMI and includes both the first and second album plus other stuff:

The sound quality is incredibly good.

I'm also a hug fan of The Move and Idle Race who were both precursors to ELO.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 15:51
They're a band I need to explore further. I bought Out of the Blue a few years back, mainly for nostalgiac reasons. I like selected songs a great deal, but most of them dont blow me away. Clearly a very talented and original band. I'll have to check out some of their earlier work.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 15:52
ELO have always been one of my favourite bands.  My favourite album is 'A New World Record' - it is very symphonic and has outstanding sound quality.  'Out of the Blue' is also a classic - I particularly like the sequence of tracks (used to be side 3 of the vinyl double album) called Concerto for a Rainy Day, which includes the brilliant 'Big Wheels' and ends with 'Mr Blue Sky'.  Unlike many others, I think there are some great tracks on 'Time' such as 'Ticket to the Moon', 'The Rain is Falling' and '21st Century Man'.

There was a dropping off in quality in the latter stages of their career - the last 3 or 4 albums were rather bland and unexceptional.  However, from 'Eldorado' up to 'Time', they produced an outstanding sequence of albums.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Pwaraab View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 01:17

Hello,

I collected all from Jeff since I was 12. And I began to love Songs that sound like ELO as "Thank You for being a Friend" from Andrew Gold, some Tracks from the Lighthouse Family and "Honest Men" from Eric Troyer, ELO part 2. With the Time I started to make ELO - Songs on my own, just new Melodies with Drums, Bass, Guitars, Strings and Synthesizers and call myself the "Second light Orchestra". You can listen to my Melodies on www.myspace.com/paulraab. "Keep your Heart", "Keep on smiling", "Feel the Sunshine" and "The hottest Woman in Town" are my Best.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>