Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor devoted Tolkien fans...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Your favourite book by J.R.R. Tolkien?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.92%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [15.69%]
32 [62.75%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For devoted Tolkien fans...
    Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:43
I can't remember if we have done this before...

I have recently (again) delved into the fantasy world of J.R.R. Tolkien and was wondering how many of us read his books and which one is your favourite. I have included the most obvious ones, although the 'other' choice covers everything (books edited by Christopher Tolkien are also included).

My favourite has always been the Silmarillion as it unfolds the whole myhtology behind Middle-Earth and because I prefer reading about Elves rather than Men LOL

Please feel free to discuss your preferences and any other comments about Tolkien (by the way I heard that The Hobbit movie is underway?)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:47
The Hobbit movies are indeed  in the early stages of pre poduction.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 13:16
I'm a casual fan, I wish I could converse about it but I know few of the books' details

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 14:13
I am a big Tolkien fan, and have also published a few articles about his work, as well as edited and partly translated the Italian edition of three of the most important scholarly books on him. That said, my favourite work of his is The Lord of the Rings, a real treasure trove of everything that is good about literature - in spite of all the venom so many 'ivory tower' critics have spewed on it since its first publication. The Hobbit would be my choice as a runner-up: it may be 'only' children's literature, but it is a masterpiece in its own right.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 15:17
^ ClapClapClapClapClap to your work. I would be interested to see your articles if they are available and unless they are in Italian

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 16:38

Lord of the Rings truly the first of the modern adult fantasy epics. He really did inspire so many to delve farther into the genre most thought to be only kids stories and use our imaginations more. I read it for the first time in the early 70's in high school. Hmm great music, Tolkien and what was that funny green plant? Wink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 16:43
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^ ClapClapClapClapClap to your work. I would be interested to see your articles if they are available and unless they are in Italian

My published articles, with one exception, are all in English, and all the books where they appear are available from Amazon. You might even find them in some university library there in the UK. I'll be happy to give you the titles.. I just have to try and remember them allWink.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 17:27
For the past five years I have been almost constantly in the middle of a Tolkien book because I have a bad habit of reading multiple books at a time and sometimes forget/ don't feel like finishing one of them, it's almost as annoying as my habit of not using bookmarks and trying to remember what page I am on. Embarrassed

I absolutely love Tolkien, I like tLotR more than the Silmarillion, maybe a reread would change that though. I was amazed by some of the stories in the Silmarillion, they are some of the best I have ever read, but I like tLotR partially for the larger volume of the story, it allows more to unfold. I love The Hobbit too, but the different writing style is harder for me to get into at first.

I like the original animated The Hobbit movie, if only for the nostalgia.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 17:31
It has been The Silmarillion for a few years: after trying to read it, I came to chapter 10 of the Quenta Silmarillion, with great effort. Then I laid it away for six months and read it again: from beginning to end in two or three days. But nowadays I think that The Lord of the Rings is my fave: from 1977 'til now I hav read it maybe 27 or 28 times.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 01:37
THE CHILDREN OF HURIN

The first Tolkien book I was old enough to properly understand, and indeed, one of the best I've ever read.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 03:46
I can't imagine how anything else besides Lord OF The Rings can win this poll. Hence, my votes goes to The Hobbit - very charming book.

I like his Smith of Wooton Major children's book, too.

I'm not familiar with Lost Tales/Unfinished Tales/Hurin. I tried Silmarillion but must admit twas a bit dense for me, if you take my meaning.

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 04:40
Lord of the Rings clearly is his crowning achievement. Nevertheless every serious Tolkien fan should read the Silmarillion, too. IMO it's a fascinating idea about how the world might have been created. It's even likened to composing music, with Morgoth (originally called Melkor) representing chaos and dissonance (which today would most likely be Extreme MetalWink).

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 10 2009 at 04:42
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 05:52
The Silmarillion, a truly amazing read.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 14:51
I am glad a few people actually voted for the Silmarillion - to make a movie out of this will be the ultimate achievement, much harder than LOTR...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:07
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I can't imagine how anything else besides Lord OF The Rings can win this poll. Hence, my votes goes to The Hobbit - very charming book.

It's odd but I tried many times in my younger years to read Lord Of The Rings, but never managed it... then I read The Hobbit, loved it & sped through the entire LOTR series in a couple of weeks.

I'd say The Hobbit is essential reading to understand LOTR but a great stand up book in its own right.

Overall though & predictably, it is LOTR for me.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:24
My recommendation for Tolkien newbies:

1. The Hobbit (easiest to read)
2. Lord of the Rings
3. The Silmarillion (explains how the world was created and tells what happened before LotR)

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:45
My family is so enmeshed in the Tolkien world that its mythology is our mythology. My father has read the books so many times it borders on obsession. The professor that spoke at my brother's graduation here in Saint Louis was a big Tolkien scholar. The work he's done simply will never be matched because the kind of scholarship he had in languages and mythology is rare enough, but to combine that with the obsession in a fantasy world....It just won't happen.

I personally can't separate the parts of the world and say "this is better" or "that is better" though clearly the LOTR was the most finished piece of work for adults. The Silmarillion is already a collection of lore, and other works are even more patchwork, though some of the stories still are great.

Anybody up for a round of "Where there's a whip there's a way" over a pint or two?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:57
Vote for the Sillmarilion it's an amzaing story and the Noldor's elves story are fascinanting.

I wonder what really happen when Ungoliant retire to the south and ended devouring himself

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 11:03
BTW: If any of you Tolkien fans haven't checked out Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth yet ... well, you should.Big smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 12:43
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

My family is so enmeshed in the Tolkien world that its mythology is our mythology. My father has read the books so many times it borders on obsession. The professor that spoke at my brother's graduation here in Saint Louis was a big Tolkien scholar. The work he's done simply will never be matched because the kind of scholarship he had in languages and mythology is rare enough, but to combine that with the obsession in a fantasy world....It just won't happen.

I personally can't separate the parts of the world and say "this is better" or "that is better" though clearly the LOTR was the most finished piece of work for adults. The Silmarillion is already a collection of lore, and other works are even more patchwork, though some of the stories still are great.

Anybody up for a round of "Where there's a whip there's a way" over a pint or two?

You mean Tom Shippey, I suppose? I edited the Italian translation of his book The Road to Middle-earth, and had the opportunity to meet him in person in 2005, at the Birmingham convention organised on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of LotR.

Edit: Alberto, Ungoliant is a sheWinkLOL...

Edited by Raff - June 12 2009 at 12:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>