Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor devoted Tolkien fans...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Your favourite book by J.R.R. Tolkien?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.92%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [15.69%]
32 [62.75%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:06
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

My family is so enmeshed in the Tolkien world that its mythology is our mythology. My father has read the books so many times it borders on obsession. The professor that spoke at my brother's graduation here in Saint Louis was a big Tolkien scholar. The work he's done simply will never be matched because the kind of scholarship he had in languages and mythology is rare enough, but to combine that with the obsession in a fantasy world....It just won't happen.

I personally can't separate the parts of the world and say "this is better" or "that is better" though clearly the LOTR was the most finished piece of work for adults. The Silmarillion is already a collection of lore, and other works are even more patchwork, though some of the stories still are great.

Anybody up for a round of "Where there's a whip there's a way" over a pint or two?

You mean Tom Shippey, I suppose? I edited the Italian translation of his book The Road to Middle-earth, and had the opportunity to meet him in person in 2005, at the Birmingham convention organised on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of LotR.

Edit: Alberto, Ungoliant is a sheWinkLOL...

I couldn't remember his name at first, but yes it was Tom Shippey. He was the best graduation speaker I've ever seen. Most you sit through, this made me want to go read his work. It was pretty awesome given our family history. My daughter (8) is just starting the Fellowship right now. It's pretty exciting watching someone get exposed for the first time.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:10
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Talking about music related to Tolkien I would have to say Bo Hansson's Lord of The Rings is the best I have come across. Reminds me a bit of MO's Tubular Bells in that it is not perfect and rough around the edges but it flows pretty much for 40 minutes starting with the Shire and ending at Mithlond ( Havens) For 1972 it is incredibly accurate IMO in depicting moods and scenes. Check out ' Council of Elrond' and the " Ring Goes South'

Better by far is Leonard Ni,moys Bilbo!!

Edited by Snow Dog - June 17 2009 at 10:11
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 11:12
Methinks Mr. Spock might indulge in the pipe-weed.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 11:15
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Methinks Mr. Spock might indulge in the pipe-weed.

Just what I thought too when I watched this.LOL

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 17 2009 at 11:15
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 15:06
I think I need to read LOTR again. I haven't read them in a long while. Plenty of time to do so now...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 17:13
Speaking of music for LOTR I think Howard Shore's sountrack to the movies is brilliant.  A couple years ago I bought Stacy (she is a bigger fan than I am and I am a pretty big fan) the complete soundtracks (the entire movie not just clips) for the three movies. It cost a bit but what an intense listening pleasure!

Edited by Garion81 - June 18 2009 at 17:14

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 17:14
I haven't read them all, but I was very impressed by the Silmarillion.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Speaking of music for LOTR I think Howard Shore's sountrack to the movies is brilliant.  A couple years ago I bought Stacy (she is a bigger fan than I am and I am a pretty big fan) the complete soundtracks (the entire movie not just clips) for the three movies. It cost a bit but what an intense listening pleasure!

I have the soundtracks to the first two movies, but never bought the one to the third, because it didn't impress me in the same way. Actually, I thought the third movie was not as good as it could have been, unlike the first, which was almost perfect.
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 02:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I have the soundtracks to the first two movies, but never bought the one to the third, because it didn't impress me in the same way. Actually, I thought the third movie was not as good as it could have been, unlike the first, which was almost perfect.

Agreed. I know they had to leave a lot out, but i reckon The Scouring of the Shire would have made a great little scene with the actors they had on board.
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 08:16
Our St Louis symphony orchestra did Howard Shore's reworking of the soundtrack music and it was really great. Full chorus, just a slide show in the back of the hand sketches that were also behind the credits in the movie, roughly correlating to the scenes the orchestra was playing. Took my parents and brother, and it was great experience. If you get a chance to see it, it's worthwhile. 
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 13:15
Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion are the must-reads for anyone, I prefer the latter, even if it's quite fragmented, this sometimes adds even something to the experience, more room for your imagination.
And i prefer reading about Valars and Elves over reading about hobbits.LOL

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 13:52
I guess he added the hobbits and dwarfs mostly for the children. LOL
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 14:00
^ the dwarves in Tokien's mythology were created even before Elves but maybe that's the case for the hobbits, I don't know...LOL

By the way, if any of you are big fans of the Silmarillion, The book of lost tales is a must have... very detailed storytelling of the beginning of the world!
Space Cadet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 13:45
as much as i love the silmarillion and LOTR, i still dig the children of húrin far more.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 14:23
I voted Lord Of The Rings, which is still an amazing book. It's nice to see that a whole new generation discovers this story because of the Peter Jackson movies, though of course all should read the books as well, because many aspects of the book don't come forward in the movies, however good they are.

Some people before me have already pointed out that The Silmarillion is also worth while exploring, and I agree with them. It's a beautiful written mythology.

The Hobbit still is a great story to read. I agree with Mike's (Mr. Prog Freak's) reading sequence advice. The Hobbit is a nice starter and a good story as well, though not with the depth of the other two well known books.

I didn't read The Children Of Hurin thus far.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 15:07
^ I believe that if you liked The Silmarillion, you will love the Children of Hurin. It is really an extended edition of the story in the Silmarillion but with many darker elements and great story-telling as well
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^ I believe that if you liked The Silmarillion, you will love the Children of Hurin. It is really an extended edition of the story in the Silmarillion but with many darker elements and great story-telling as well

It is? Well, that sounds really interesting. Thanks for the tip!

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 11:51
I need to read the Silmarillion... but don't have time.. .now I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet... nice.. and big... jejeje... Soon I will get back to my Hobbit geek roots... you know... I guess everybody feels more interesting in elves than hobbits but at the end of the day anyone could identify with hobbits... and see the elves like some divinity, somekind of unreal and too fancy... so I always end up feeling like I would have a little farm on the shire... jejeje... I always thought that...!!!
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 12:42
Lord of the Rings by a mile over the Silmarillion.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 18:26
.....All of them? haha.  I think they all show a different side of Tolkien's world.  I haven't read Unfinished Tales yet though. I should do that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>