Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Fripp - Please make him amazing for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:09
I just felt like sharing this:

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:34
I'd never seen that, thanks for sharing.  I had totally dismissed the Police until I heard I Advanced Masked.  Appreciating Sting, after that, then recognizing Stewart Copeland had played with Curved Air.  I like to call it the prog rock web.   I don't know if someone's launched a thread on that yet...

There's been a big interconnectedness in artists and it's spanning the two prog generations so far.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 13 2009 at 10:48
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:21
I haven't taken the time to read all the replies, sorry to say, so please excuse me if I repeat things already said. 

Robert Fripp is different, so far as I know, from all rock electric guitarists in his complete discipline (bear with me, I know there are people who don't consider that meritorious).  If I'm not mistaken, he is a proper very-British man of staid emotions and cool detachment (who, within the one context of the Les Paul, will suddenly rip your head off!).  Look at a picture of him playing, the myspace page for instance; most times you'll see a man calmly sitting on a stool, posture and technique perfect.  Most rock guitarists are far more about physically emoting while playing (not a knock, just a fact).  I saw KC in NYC at the Pier that summer when they supported ToaPP.  It's been a long time, but I'll try: he came out with a smile and a gentle wave to the cheering fans, sat erect with his guitar in that stool, and played a solo that floored everyone; I think a lot of it has to do with the wide difference between apparent manner (him sitting there, almost classical) and the intensity and honesty of the expression hitting the ear.  The members came out and (again, if I remember correctly) they broke into Larks' II.  Holy smokes it was great!

KC has to be understood I think within the crucible of classical musician and composer practices.  Look at the use of materials on the first side of Red, most especially the title track.  Fracture is a rondo (and if you're looking for a song to "make him amazing", you'd do worse than to start with Starless and Bible Black).

If someone decided to do a Mahler-orchestra-sized transcription of those middle-period KC masterpieces it would be easier than doing the same for all other prog bands, even those termed 'symphonic', because it's already there

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'd never seen that, thanks for sharing.  I had totally dismissed the Police until I heard I Advanced Masked.  Appreciating Sting, after that, then recognizing Stewart Copeland had played with Curved Air.  I like to call it the prog rock web.   I don't know if someone's launched a thread on that yet...

There's been a big interconnectedness in artists and it's spanning the two prog generations so far.

Actually the Police are a Gong spin-off; they were originally called Strontium 90 and had an additional member, Mike Howlett of Gong on bass guitar; Sting played rhythm guitar at first. They played on the Gong festival which took place on May 23rd 1977. "Gong Est  Mort - Vive Gong" was recorded at that festival.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:45
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Two great KC songs where we get to hear Fripp at his best:

Cirkus, from Lizard.  The acoustic guitar work on this song...the manner in which it provides texture to the song proper...is amazingly amazingly amazing

Then check out the guitar solo on LITA Part One, which solo to this day makes no sense to me but is still one of my favorite guitar solos by any guitarist.  It addles my already-addled brain. 

I totally agree with the acoustic guitar in "Circus". If you don''t go "wow" over that one you have no idea of guitar playing.
Also have a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4V9pQsOc30
If this still does not convince you, you can't be helped.

You see what I mean? This is passive/ aggresive. If someone doesn't share your view...well then.....they know nothing!

Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 10:47
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Actually the Police are a Gong spin-off; they were originally called Strontium 90 and had an additional member, Mike Howlett of Gong on bass guitar; Sting played rhythm guitar at first. They played on the Gong festival which took place on May 23rd 1977. "Gong Est  Mort - Vive Gong" was recorded at that festival.

I did not know that.  Pretty cool.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 15 2009 at 10:01
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 09:55

...  after that, then recognizing Stewart Copeland had played with Curved Air.  I like to call it the prog rock web.   I don't know if someone's launched a thread on that yet...

The Copeland in Curved Air was Miles, not Stewart ... and I've been told that is his brother ... also, was it not Stewart that was married to Sonja Kristina? ... or something like that?

Quote ...

I doubt this very much ... Gong was there way before the Police ever came around, and while it is possible that Sting munched around and might have played, I doubt it ... during that time in the early 70's prior to the Police, both Andy Summers and Sting were involved with Eberhard Schoenner in Germany and I am inclined to believe that is where they met. While a couple of songs Sting sings in there are not great, they do show an ability to create words on the fly and adjust well, and that, I'm sure, is what got Andy and him together to make a band ...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 10:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The Copeland in Curved Air was Miles, not Stewart ... and I've been told that is his brother ... also, was it not Stewart that was married to Sonja Kristina? ... or something like that?

I often goof when working off the top of my head but it was Stewart that drummed with Curved Air.  I remember Miles for being a total jerk as manager with regard to the compensation for the musicians who were working with Stin-g on his first solo album in the film about it.

While were at it, let's confuse Aaron into the mix...

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 15 2009 at 13:29
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 13:23
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Fripp has played on a Blondie album? Shocked

Parallel Lines Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 13:30
This ain't called the archives for nothing.  Pretty much any question can be answered and you never know what you might learn.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 15 2009 at 17:47
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 13:40
The most impressive thing, for me, about Fripp's playing is his uncanny ablilty to produce sonic fluid arpeggos at will ...if Fripp was a superhero, that'd be his super power Wink Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 13:41

Awesome, I like Blondie.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 17:46
Had a lotta beans
and I got some gas
made a big fart
blew it out my ass LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 17:50

I had totally dismissed the Police until I heard I Advanced Masked.

Behind My Camel wasn't too shabby either Approve
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 17:51

Quote ...

I doubt this very much ... Gong was there way before the Police ever came around, and while it is possible that Sting munched around and might have played, I doubt it ... during that time in the early 70's prior to the Police, both Andy Summers and Sting were involved with Eberhard Schoenner in Germany and I am inclined to believe that is where they met. While a couple of songs Sting sings in there are not great, they do show an ability to create words on the fly and adjust well, and that, I'm sure, is what got Andy and him together to make a band ...

Well, of course Gong came first: You can't  say The Police are a Gong spin-off if Gong wasn't around already Tongue
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 18:03

...  after that, then recognizing Stewart Copeland had played with Curved Air.  I like to call it the prog rock web.   I don't know if someone's launched a thread on that yet...

Quote ...

Sting's involvement with Eberhard Schoener was in the late 70s, not the early 70s, at the time that "Video Magic" came out. Which fits pretty well with what I have said. The Gong festival I speak of took place on May 23rd 1977; there was an article about it in the the German "Musik Magazin"; they mentioned Strontium 90 as one of the opening acts of that festival and gave the complete line-up, which is the one I mentioned. My brother collected Musik Magazin at that time, and I remember reading that article.
Also have a look at this Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_police#Formation
And no, this entry was not written by me.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 15 2009 at 18:07

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 18:28

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Fripp has played on a Blondie album? Shocked

I had heard that and then read somewhere he was only considering working with them, but I see two songs named, so I'll buy it.

As I mentioned earlier, he has also played on a Darryl Hall album. ShockedLOL

I can go one better--he played on a Hall & Oates album (Along The Red Ledge). Confused
hitting_singularity2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 18:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Fripp said Fracture is the hardest song he's ever played, and that'd be the one I'd say to listen to first.

agreed, especially in this case

I read this then went and listened to Starless and Bible Black.. which I have not heard before.  I must say, Fracture was imidiately one of my favorite KC songs I have heard.. I just find that guitar part so addictive, even tho its pretty repetative.  I enjoyed the entire album immesly as well, which i can say to some but not all KC albums (especially not most of the early ones)
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 23:28
*21rst Century Schizoid Man
*Red
*Tremelo study In A Major (Giles Giles & Fripp-->amaizing solo on spanish guitar, it shows why fripp is the master of speed)
*Lark's...(1,2 and 3)
*Frame by Frame
*Level Five
*FraKctured
*Into the Frying Pan
*Thrack
*Vroom
*Elektrik
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 23:39
Do you have The Power To Believe or The CostruKction Of Light?...no mellotrons, no sax...almost no distraction from the guitar
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>