Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEarth and Fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earth and Fire
    Posted: June 11 2009 at 10:29
I discovered this 70s Dutch band a few months ago via a copy of their debut album (S/T, 1970).  I fell in love with it immediately and have been on a search for other albums.  Just a couple of days ago I received a 2 disc set containing the albums "Atlantis", "To the World of the Future", and "Gate to Infinity", as well as half a disc of b-sides.  I've enjoyed all of it.

I tried to find a topic on this band, and found an old poll, but it's now closed, so I decided to start up a new topic to get some more info on this band.  I've read the PA entry on them (really the only place I've found that has any useful info at all), but if anyone wants to share some personal experiences, preferences, etc about  this band, I'd appreciate it.

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 10:41
Try their best  "Song of the Marching Children"
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 10:44
A wonderful song is Carnival Of The Animals I think.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 10:55
Great band!!

rosenbach View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 11:28
Originally posted by GentleGiant GentleGiant wrote:

Try their best  "Song of the Marching Children"

This one is the progest, but i like their debut too. After Atlantis they went too pop.

There's a Graetest Hits DVD where you can see videos and interviews of their career.

Edited by rosenbach - June 11 2009 at 11:54
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 12:01
Hi,

"To the World of the Future" is the album that I have enjoyed the most ... but I have enjoyed this band regardless ... in that album the lead singer is not as important and the music is a bit freer from what I perceived as a bit more format oriented music for radio ... but that is my ear more than anything else.

And that lady can sing well, too, although I think that she had a problem with the English ...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 12:17
Thanks for the replies.  I think what appeals to me about them at this point in my life is that it's not "too" prog.  That is to say, they use progressive methods to put across what are actually very enjoyable, catchy songs.  In this way, they remind me of Kayak a little bit (coincidentally, also Dutch) - they lean a little closer to the pop side of things, but every song has something memorable.  When I heard E&F's debut for the first time, I immediately put it on again - a very rare thing for me to do.  Because when it came around to, "well, that's over, what do I feel like hearing now?" my answer was, "you know, I don't really even want to hear anything else besides this right now! [*hits play, amazed*]"

I have to say too, that their poppy/quasi-disco stuff is hitting the right buttons in my head as well.  I just like their personality, particularly the singer.  She's not flashy, but she gives it her all, without even looking like she's trying too hard.  The rest of the group just makes a fun noise and knows the value of hooky songwriting.  I like that.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 14:37
Hi,

If you base your appreciation on "too prog", or not enough "prog", or any other term, your appreciation of music will diminish in time ... you are limiting the experiencial content and music and eventually you will tire of that style, and something that was good will be left behind and never heard again.

In general, but then I have been listening to all this music for much longer than almost everyone that posts in ths board (I'm sure there is an exception or two, btw) ... and I can tell you that nothing is more boring and sad for an artist when he gets pigeonholed into a corner ... I probably would say that if you ever buy one more of my cd's I'm gonna come over and shave your left knee! And then embarass you with a nude statue of Venus de Milo smoking an english union jack! ... really now! ...

There is a lot of music that is considered prog, that all it is doing is mixing in other cultural elements into it ... other types of music and styles blended in ... and many of these are just typical of the cross relational living in Europe and the influences that these can bring along ... and by saying that you just want this or that, you are saying that someone that is from a different country and plays a guitar a little different can't offer you something that you might also like ... because it sounds like a spanish guitar, not a rock guitar ... as an example ...

There is no shame in liking music ... and it matters not what "it is" ... you don't go around calling Beethoven by his style and saying that you love listening to 'romantic" composers to show your intelect and knowledge about a period of arts in history ... do you? So why the fudge would you say something that silly as "prog" and take away the validity of the music itself?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 14:45
Atlantis is my fave. I grew up with music from the band. Atlantis is my favourite Dutch album overall, and one of my favourite albums by any artist. I already freaked out on the music when I was eleven years old, and am still enjoying it now that I'm in my roaring forties.

They were a good hit single band too, and in the early seventies they delivered some original hit singles. For me Song Of The Marching Children and Atlantis are the best albums, both being concept albums.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 06:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I probably would say that if you ever buy one more of my cd's I'm gonna come over and shave your left knee! And then embarass you with a nude statue of Venus de Milo smoking an english union jack! ... really now!

I like this kid's style!
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 22:11

'song of the marching children' is an essential symphonic prog album. Atlantis is good as well.

I don't know about the other albums but I didn't read good reviews on them.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 08:21
I'm keeping an eye out for "Song of the Marching Children" - sounds like that one's essential.  My copy of the first album has a song of that name as a bonus track - I assume it's a track from that album?  In any case, it rules.

I was in a "cool" record store over the weekend and asked them if they had any Earth and Fire, and he was surprised that he'd never heard of them.  I stumped the cool record shop guy!  Actually, the owner of the shop (who knows EVERYTHING) wasn't there that day, so I only got to stump their "second string" guy.

"To the World of the Future" has really impressed me so far, after about 3 listens.  Some wonderful Rhodes piano work on that one.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 15 2009 at 08:23

-Kehlog Albran
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'm keeping an eye out for "Song of the Marching Children" - sounds like that one's essential.  My copy of the first album has a song of that name as a bonus track - I assume it's a track from that album?  In any case, it rules.

Actually, if I recall well, initially it was just the B-side from the hit single Invitation, but they liked the song and the idea behind it and used it to again to make a concept album . The song "Song Of The Marching Children" is on the concept album as well, as part of an epic, but in a bit more extended version.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 12:03
I never heard the first album, but have heard and reviewed the next 4, if you want to look up my take
 Post Reply Post Reply