FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKarnivool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karnivool
    Posted: June 11 2009 at 21:59
Hey, does anyone know about them? I started listening to them a few days ago and they are pretty good, prog related even, specially the new album. They have only released two albums, Themata (2005) and Sound awake (2009). If you ask what they sound like I´d guess the best description is a gayer verion of Tool. Hehehe... well, there is some truth in what I just said. But in all seriousness, the singer is pretty good, a sweeter more pop version of Maynard at times, but you can always tell them apart, by no means a copycat. They sound huge... maybe a bit too much in Themata, but Sound awake is really polished and well produced. The instrumentation is pretty interesting too, specially the guitar work which sound a bit strange at times because they use a very rare open tunning.

I most definitly recommend them to anyone into modern music who likes a bit of well crafted alternative music with a bit of metal, a bit of prog and why not a bit of pop.
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 17:24
I bought their CD Themata after I heard the awesome song Fear of the Sky. Unfortunately, the rest of the album didn't measure up to that song at all, except maybe Scarabs, which is unfortunately short.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good CD, just a bit too pop sounding for my taste. And, just from that CD, I'm going to have to disagree with them sounding even a but prog. It's there a little in Fear of the Sky, but that is about it.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 13:51
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

I bought their CD Themata after I heard the awesome song Fear of the Sky. Unfortunately, the rest of the album didn't measure up to that song at all, except maybe Scarabs, which is unfortunately short.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good CD, just a bit too pop sounding for my taste. And, just from that CD, I'm going to have to disagree with them sounding even a but prog. It's there a little in Fear of the Sky, but that is about it.

Sound awake is the almost-prog sounding album, that one is pretty damn good
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 14:20
That's cool. Band's like Karnivool usually seem to go one of two ways. One, they get more pop sounding every album (Incubus) or progress their sound. Good to hear Karnivool is taking the latter route. 
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 21:53
Can't say I listen to them a whole lot, but I heard their recent album and the production was crushing. Twas good.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 13:08
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Can't say I listen to them a whole lot, but I heard their recent album and the production was crushing. Twas good.

They do sound very, very good in the latest album, huge but not tiring! I really think this album is one of the best of the year... which is really good too!!!
Firdous e Bareen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 02:56
Karnivool were one of the bands which first got me into progressive music, and they are definitely worthy of inclusion on these archives. Personally though, I think they're way too progressive to be boxed in the Prog-Related genre with bands like Coheed and Muse. Look at Porcupine Tree for example. They incorporate A LOT of alternative rock influences in their music, yet they're still considered progressive enough to be classed as Heavy Prog. When you compare both bands, I don't really see any reason why Karnivool shouldn't also be included in this category.

If we were just talking about Themata here, I can see why Prog Related would be the most appropriate option. That album, whilst twice as progressive as anything Muse have ever put out, still fell short of being considered a wholly progressive album. Nevertheless, tracks such as COTE and Scarabs demonstrated an undeniable progressive streak.

Now, with the release of Sound Awake, this has been well and truly consolidated. Tracks such as New Day, Deadman and Change are pretty much pure, heavy progressive rock. To bring back the Porcupine Tree comparison again (even though I realise the two bands sound nothing alike) Umbra and The Caudal Lure blend progressive and alternative rock in the same way as PT have always done. In fact, the least progressive tracks on the album (All I know, Set Fire to the Hive) are just as, or even arguably more progressive than My Ashes and Sentimental from Fear of a Blank Planet.

Anyway, I saw the band live less than two weeks ago. If you thought Ian Kenny's singing was good, you should see his dancing! I command you to check out this awesome live performance of Deadman, recorded in April 2008 (aforementioned dancing not really highlighted in this track).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4B5hToaBQ

Edited by Firdous e Bareen - July 10 2009 at 03:03
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 22:14
Karnivool  -  Sound Awake  is descent piece of music, high quality for sure .. some slight Prog touch in.. worth listening .. i would say mellow  variant of Tool maybe?! still good .. 
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 22:42
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I most definitly recommend them to anyone into modern music who likes a bit of well crafted alternative music with a bit of metal, a bit of prog and why not a bit of pop.

Good combination. I´ll try to listen them soon. Thanks.

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 06:01
Good band.  I'm having some problems with the vocals though. I agree with el bothy with when he said that the vocalist sounds like "a sweeter more pop version of Maynard at times".

Post Reply Post Reply