Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Porcupine Tree new album "The Incident" 9/21/09
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree new album "The Incident" 9/21/09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 21:34
Smile

Hope they come through Asheville NC again, it was easily the smallest venue (and least packed for that matter) that I've ever seen them in. Course, then I go visit friends in DC and just see 'em again.

Can't wait.

Collapsus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 09:31
I'll see them in Montreal on setptember 30 ! Hope they will play their 55 minutes-long song...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 14:09

OKAY, I'M EXCITED NOW!!

ClapClapClapClapClap
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 08:31
I'm really looking forward to the album and the tour, I also hope they'll release those audio previews soon!Big smile
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 16:21
Something that was passed on to me earlier:

Occam's Razor 1:55
The Blind House 5:47
Great Expectations 1:26
Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
Drawing the Line 4:43
The Incident 5:20
Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
Time Flies 11:40
Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
Octane Twisted 5:03
The Séance 2:39
Circle of Manias 2:18
I Drive the Hearse 6:41

All tracks by SW except Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias which are group compositions (besides the 4 other pieces on the separate ep).

Like I posted this AM, I truly do not know what to make of the new PT. It was almost too overwhelming to take in at one sitting, and for me, certainly NOT a CD/LP I could just sit down and immediately come away with a definitive impression of from the moment I heard it. In most cases, for me anyway, this is normally a very good thing, as many of my all time fave records were ones that I wasn't immediately struck by, but I am not sure if this is how it will play out with the new PT, and I did not get a promo copy so I'll have to sit it out like everyone else until the CD is released to get my next listen...

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

The Blind House was pretty immediate as well, retro PT acoustic references, harmonies, with some very heavy sustained guitar histrionics as well.

Circle of Manias is the real powerhouse riff monster (along with Octane Twisted if memory serves me right) with tons of Meshuggah-like riffs clashing and crashing along in a torrent of angular time changes and odd meters. This has a similar vibe to Mother and Child Divided, but is much heavier and more angular and f**ked up... Oh, yeah, on this one, SW plays a new Baritone guitar that PRS made for him exclusively !

Drive the Hearse was actually a surprise, as I expected it to be dark and heavy to coincide with the lyrics and song title, but it's not. It's more "song oriented" with a memorable chorus and some really lovely acoustic moments backed with some spooky/eerie synth textures and a soaring solo fade out...

The other track that really got my attention was The Incident, which is, well crushingly funky (as in heavy electronica funk), this song is twisted and really will kick ass live I am betting... Lot's of weird synthy textures and if I had to point to any specific reference point it would be Sleep Together, but without all the strings. This track is more streamlined and stealthy...

Only one major disconnect for me that stood out from the listening session, and that was Drawing the Line. This might be the first PT song I can honestly say I immediately did NOT like much at all right away... Not digging the chorus at all and actually felt uncomfortable listening to it, which was a weird experience. It may grow on me , but somehow I doubt it... Please don't let my opinion cloud yours though when you finally get and opportunity to check it out !

The rest of the experience is all just too fuzzy at this point, sleep deprivation is clouding my memory and judgment so I'll stop there on my review of the individual and the whole...

Again, I think this is definitely a situation where it's going to take a few listens for me to fully wrap my head around and appreciate what is going on in this new release... I will say this though, it was my impression that this music was definitely inspired by and influenced by SW's experiences making Insurgentes. I can't put my finger on it, but I had a distinct feeling that Insurgentes had a profound effect on his writing for this new PT project. Perhaps it's just me, but we shall see....

A couple of tidbits extra.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=78705

In the video the opening sequence of guitar chords is from Occam's Razor which opens the album, and the synthy freak out bits Richard is playing is (I believe) from The Incident. Also, the acoustic bit SW's is playing is from Time Flies. The rest of the snippets of music are too short and detached from the rest of the recordings for me to place after just one sitting.

"SpectreofDeath" post on Porcupine Tree forum.

Thanks to Eric from Power Windows for the heads up.

Edited by Tony R - June 18 2009 at 16:25
Cruithne3753 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 19:41
Engage Salivation Mode : Salivation Mode engaged
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by Collapsus Collapsus wrote:

I'll see them in Montreal on setptember 30 ! Hope they will play their 55 minutes-long song...

I'll be seeing you there! The Metropolis is such a cozy venue. This will be my first time seeing PT live, and all I can say for myself and the friends coming with me is; "WOO!OOOO!!!"

!!!ClapClapClap
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 10:24

OneOrangeLight View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 16:52
Looking forward to this release! 

One Orange Light
http://www.oneorangelight.com
One Orange Light
http://www.oneorangelight.com
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 13:56

Finally they release something over forty minutes. It's about time PT! Wink

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Finally they release something over forty minutes. It's about time PT! Wink

Do you mean songs (including song cycles/phases) over 40 minutes, or albums?
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 23:08
title is a lil urrgggh, same for FOABP but oh well so long as the music slays............prog on PT!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 03:19
Yes...fantastic news. Great to see the band being prolific in terms of releasing studio material too. Few would argue, the best modern day prog band aroundThumbs Up
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 08:10
Actually, I think plenty would argue that. :P
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 09:12
Has the new city in the USA been added? It was supposed to be a locale 4 hours from NYC. 
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:10
Hmm, they seem to be getting back to their Prog influence in a big way this time around! Sounds like a Six Degrees type deal. Maybe all that hanging out with the DT guys led to this?

Anyway, I am truly excited to see this happening. I loved FoaBP, but I know a lot of people here didn't, so hopefully this one will win over the skeptics of modern PT music, because this sounds like a return to from to me. Clap

P.S. Steve Wilson should spend more time here on the Archives so that we could hear some of the updates first-hand. Just sayin'

Edited by p0mt3 - June 26 2009 at 13:15
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Hmm, they seem to be getting back to their Prog influence in a big way this time around! Sounds like a Six Degrees type deal. Maybe all that hanging out with the DT guys led to this?

Anyway, I am truly excited to see this happening. I loved FoaBP, but I know a lot of people here didn't, so hopefully this one will win over the skeptics of modern PT music, because this sounds like a return to from to me. Clap

P.S. Steve Wilson should spend more time here on the Archives so that we could hear some of the updates first-hand. Just sayin'

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT ever associate Porcupine Tree with the Dream Wanckers. Angry

LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT ever associate Porcupine Tree with the Dream Wanckers. Angry

LOL

LOL Well, I'm the first to say DT has lost their touch by this point, where as Steve's band seems to get better and better with age! I'm truly excited about this new release!!!
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 14:31

LOL

LOL Well, I'm the first to say DT has lost their touch by this point, where as Steve's band seems to get better and better with age! I'm truly excited about this new release!!!

Actually I have hope that DT will return to Prog greatness, but the last two releases have really put a strain on that hope.

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 14:55

LOL

Actually I have hope that DT will return to Prog greatness, but the last two releases have really put a strain on that hope.

Too true, Cry Although 8vM was masterful, most of their post-SFaM releases haven't really spoken to me.

I think PT is a good example of a band that continues to reinvent itself with each entry. It's really the only way you can keep from becoming stale musically in my opinion.

Other good examples of this are Tool, PoS, and (though I don't like their newer stuff, I have to admit, they do something new every time) TMV.

I've missed the long-winded side of Steve Wilson. Hell, ever since "Sky Moves Sideways" he hasn't really written anything "epic". This will be a great album, I can already tell. PT wouldn't go this lengthy route unless they really had something good and worth sharing on their hands. Very excited, I am! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>