Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic vs. Cover Art & Booklet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: What's more important - the music or the cover art?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [63.16%]
7 [36.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:56
^ maybe so. I wouldn't call it "stupid" though ... but of course nobody can't seriously vote for choice #2. Call it a rhethorical poll then, with the inherent message being that the actual music is always more important than the artwork.

I guess the next question is: Could you let go of the concept of having the physical cover art / booklet and instead have downloads and all the cover art and booklet information accessible via the internet?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:04
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Its kind of a stupid poll MIke. Who on earth buys a CD just for the cover/ booklet? 

I understand the intention of the poll, but the question is flawed.

In the 70s my elder brother bought a lot of albums just because he liked the cover art, and many a discovery of his was made that way. However, the number of available albums then was about as big as the number of monthly new publications today; the music industry expanded immensely.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:04
^^Well I said "kind of stupid" not actually in fact stupid. I was being nice.Big smile

But.......some CDs I will keep buying because I have the rest by that band.......for example Dream Theater, but otherwise, I guess, downloading is ok.

Put it this way.
I prefer Cds, but the music on those CDs is obviously more important than the booklet. Havibg said that, if the booklet gets dammaged or wet..........I AM DEVESTATED!!!!!!!!

AngryAngry

LOL

No....................its true.
Cry
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:08

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Its kind of a stupid poll MIke. Who on earth buys a CD just for the cover/ booklet? 

I understand the intention of the poll, but the question is flawed.

In the 70s my elder brother bought a lot of albums just because he liked the cover art, and many a discovery of his was made that way. However, the number of available albums then was about as big as the number of monthly new publications today; the music industry expanded immensely.

Sigh

What I mean is......who buys an album just for the cover, and not to find out what the music is like.

Obviously a cover may interest you. And lead you to buy the album...containing music. But its the music thats important.

Do I have to expand on every statement?

Ouch

LOL

Sheesh...you are hard work!
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:10
^ back in the nineties I lost about 150 vinyl albums because they got wet in the basement (a water pipe leaked). So I know first hand how it feels to lose part of your collection.

BTW: I was thinking about the new DT album that's about to be released. I think I'll buy it as a download, even though I have all their other albums on CD. I'm breaking with my tradition ... Smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:15
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ back in the nineties I lost about 150 vinyl albums because they got wet in the basement (a water pipe leaked). So I know first hand how it feels to lose part of your collection.

BTW: I was thinking about the new DT album that's about to be released. I think I'll buy it as a download, even though I have all their other albums on CD. I'm breaking with my tradition ... Smile

I can't do it I'm afraid....I have to have the CD.

Regarding the price of CDs.  I only normally buy them at sale or rduced prices anyway...so....

My cat pissed on my albums.......they stunk bad for a while......Dead

Edited by Snow Dog - June 13 2009 at 12:17
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:21
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ maybe so. I wouldn't call it "stupid" though ... but of course nobody can't seriously vote for choice #2. Call it a rhethorical poll then, with the inherent message being that the actual music is always more important than the artwork.

I guess the next question is: Could you let go of the concept of having the physical cover art / booklet and instead have downloads and all the cover art and booklet information accessible via the internet?

To give an answer to your question: I have been reading a lot of books online lately, and while it is a great thing that this is possible (for free even), it is somehow not the same for me, simply because my favourite reading position is on my belly, with a book in front, and to top it with Jean by my side, reading together. To do that with a computer I would have to switch to laptop, and it still would not be quite the same. But I am quite certain that for future generations this will not be a problem at all.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:53
Really... the question is kind of..... There's no way I'd buy an album just for the booklet and not the music... please.... wrong alternatives....

But there's no way I will ever change to downloading unless I'm forced to by anihilation of the CD... I like to have a collection I can SEE.... and I can SHARE with other people... in my HOUSE, presenty, not just "share" over a network.... I hate that de=personalizing factor of MP3... killing social life completely.... now everybody is a walking zombie with headphones plugged in their ears minding about nothing but his "lown sh*t"....
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:55
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Really... the question is kind of..... There's no way I'd buy an album just for the booklet and not the music... please.... wrong alternatives....

But there's no way I will ever change to downloading unless I'm forced to by anihilation of the CD... I like to have a collection I can SEE.... and I can SHARE with other people... in my HOUSE, presenty, not just "share" over a network.... I hate that de=personalizing factor of MP3... killing social life completely.... now everybody is a walking zombie with headphones plugged in their ears minding about nothing but his "lown sh*t"....

What he saidClap. I know having a large CD collection (as we have now) poses lots of problems as regards space, but in my view it's all worth it. And I also share Friede's sentiments about reading e-books... I can read articles on the web, but NOTHING for me will ever replace the pleasure of reading an actual, material book or magazine - especially when curled up on the couch, or lying in bed.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:59
With books, too. I like a physical book, one I can discuss with a friend, having the book in my hand, not in a stupid laptop that kills all the magic...

Laptops are slowly turning into the real world other people live in... what a small place they inhabit....
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 17:03
Does no one care about my cat's piss albums?

Edited by Snow Dog - June 13 2009 at 17:30
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 17:17
LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Raff - June 13 2009 at 17:18
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 17:51
I'm with Teo, its' a complete package for me too.   No way I could ever switch to downloads. 

Actually, I go for LP minis whenever available. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 20:47

My cat pissed on my albums.......they stunk bad for a while......Dead

That happened to my albums a while back too - our alpha-tom decided to mark his teritory by spraying my prized collection. I had the bugger neutered for that Evil Smile

I don't see why they can't put one of those tacky little acrylic CD things in a nice 12" gatefold sleeve and please all of us. It can't be just a question of cost since the net cost of the packaging is peanuts anyway - I mean just how cool would it be to be able to buy Yessongs (for example) on CD but in its original LP packaging?

Edited by Dean - June 13 2009 at 20:49
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 20:54
Exhibit 1:

...how many people bought that in the 70s because of the Patrick Woodruff's artwork rather than Dave Greenslade's music? (hint: lots)

Edited by Dean - June 13 2009 at 20:54
What?
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 21:37
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I prefer CDs because I like the physical product soon.

This. I like to actually hold and physically own what I pay my money for...

So cover art and Booklet for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 03:49
I'm getting the feeling that most of you who *demand* the piece of plastic and paper component are simply used to the format so much that you can't - and don't want to - think about alternatives.

I'm sure that 20 years from now music will be a purely virtual thing ... as will be video (blu-ray is the last disc format). Amazon have shown with their Kindle that it is possible to transfer the experience of reading a book to the electronic world ... why should it be different for booklets? In the end the electronic solution will take over, because it's simply more convenient, more efficient and more elegant. If done correctly of course, but I am sure that we'll eventually see some kind of device like the Kindle, but a bit larger and with color display, and of course with one (or more) headphone plugs.Smile
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 03:52
Or we like getting stuff for our money.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 03:57
^ sure. As I said before, I prefer music over stuff to put in a shelf.Smile
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 04:07
I'm confused and appalled that the vote was tied 3-3 before I voted. This is a music forum after all.

In any event, Mike, I may be one of the only people who seems to think that it's fine that album art and stuff could be left aside, as long as you're left with great music. I myself seem to prefer music that contains lyrics that are at least somewhat important, but I don't even get physical CDs every time to marvel at the magnificent artwork or read through the lyrics as I'm listening, because after all it's the music that's important. Furthermore, I think Roger Dean's artwork is incredible, but I don't have any physical copy of any albums that he did artwork on, save for my father's vinyl copy of Fragile, and that one has water damage so the first coat is coming off easily. But that doesn't matter, cause I enjoy lots of Yes music anyways.

I listen to music through an iPod dock anyways, or in the car when I'm driving so there's little need for me to have vinyls and CDs, though sometimes I'll get a cheap thrift store vinyl for something like a dollar for the collectability of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>