Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic vs. Cover Art & Booklet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: What's more important - the music or the cover art?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [63.16%]
7 [36.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 15:47
Originally posted by Diaby Diaby wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Diaby Diaby wrote:

I've mentioned a lot recently, that I'd NEVER pay for downloads. That'd not be part of my collection. If I could, I would destroy the possibility of legal music downloading (non-free).

The booklet and the artwork are at least 25% of the fan, by the way.

So if I buy the download that makes me a lesser fan? Maybe because the download costs less? Ok, I could see that ... but I'm also getting less "overhead". Today booklet and cover art are often (but not always) done by artist who have very little connection to the band. I'd speculate that sometimes even the record label has a big word in what the album will look like, since it greatly affects the sales.

I think that it's quite ok to not put the cover art and plastic case (face it, "jewel case" is a euphemism) on that high a pedestal.

You're not a lesser fan even if you can't afford buying anything and download illegally. But this "paying individually for tracks" gives more strength to the attitude towards music today: if I heard a song yesterday on the radio, I go and download it, without knowing anything 'bout the artist and the ALBUM (which format is dying, there are only very few who can listen to an album from the first minute to the last).

What world are you living in? Only very few can listen to an album from the first minute to the last? What do you think the people on this forum do? Pick only one song from an album and then switch to the next? I sincerely doubt that.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 16:00
^ come on, it works fine for many prog albums. Even on an album like Dark Side of the Moon I can choose to listen to Money only ...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 16:18
^ one track off Light of Day, Day of Darkness is enough for me...
What?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 16:24

^ come on, it works fine for many prog albums. Even on an album like Dark Side of the Moon I can choose to listen to Money only ...

The one I'd choose to skip.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 17:03

There is a big difference between "there are some albums I don't listen to in the whole because only some songs interest me" and "there are only very few who can listen to an album from the first minute to the last".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Our homes definitely would be less "home" if it was all on the computer.

No, just your homeBig smile

No... our homes

Really.... how will the future house be? Instead of shelves with books, records, movies, all there will be is.. a laptop... Instead of sharing art with  a friend (in the hypothetical and improbable case that future generations even understand the concept of a physical friend) everything will be just for the individual....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 01:24

There is a big difference between "there are some albums I don't listen to in the whole because only some songs interest me" and "there are only very few who can listen to an album from the first minute to the last".

you also said "What do you think the people on this forum do? Pick only one song from an album and then switch to the next? I sincerely doubt that." and that was what I'm replying to. I usually listen to albums from start to finish, but sometimes I'll also listen to a few songs and then move to the next album. That way I can listen to several artists even if I only have half an hour spare time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 01:26
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Our homes definitely would be less "home" if it was all on the computer.

No, just your homeBig smile

No... our homes

Really.... how will the future house be? Instead of shelves with books, records, movies, all there will be is.. a laptop... Instead of sharing art with  a friend (in the hypothetical and improbable case that future generations even understand the concept of a physical friend) everything will be just for the individual....

I rather think that in future houses there will be much larger displays/TVs. It's no problem to view them together with a (physical) friend. I also think that sharing art will be a lot easier, even today the friend can bring an USB stick and copy your music (In Germany that's legal).

el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 05:06

In the last few days I've been thinking about it a lot, and I've made a decision: I'll buy downloads instead of CDs from now on. The music is much more important than the cover art or booklet for me, especially since even with downloads I also get the cover art in the media player. Of course it's nice to be able to hold the CD in your hand and read the booklet, but the music is simply much more important to me. I'll still be buying vinyl releases for the collectors value and nostalgia, or limited editions on CD when they also contain a DVD or DVD-Audio version of the album, but the bulk of my purchases from now on will be MP3s.

What do you think about it?Smile

You've made the right decision IMO - what you propose is exactly what I've been doing for some time
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 13:58
You've completely misunderstood what I said. I spoke about mankind in generality, NOT about progheads. WE are the very few I wrote about.

The boys and girls in my age do know lots of bands, but only the "hits" from every and each. They download those ones and ignore everything else what the band have done. MOST of the people couldn't sit down and listen to an entire album. They don't even know what's the name of the album the songs are off.
yeah
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 14:10
^ for most mainstream artists this strategy is actually valid ... you don't need the full albums.

I'm very sure that the album will continue to exist for a long time - as long as there are fans of serious, artistic music.
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 14:12
^okay, dying was just a bad expression. Of course it couldn't die because that's the only standard way to release more songs at once.
yeah
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 14:15
^ There's also the EP ...
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 15:23
^very good joke
yeah
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 15:32
Many new bands are releasing EPs these days. Of course they don't get a lot of attention. But add two songs more and you suddenly have a LP. That's what I would do as a new band today ... publish an album with about 35 minutes worth of high quality music and publish it on all the major download stores. It would be 3-4 tracks, so it would be really affordable on eMusic.com or Amazon. And since it's longer than 30 minutes, I could call it an LP. LOL
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 19:13

Seriously, I don't know anyone in my town who regularly listens to albums all the way through. I'm the only one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345