Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAudio (mp3) vs Complete Package (CD/Vinyl)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Audio (mp3/flac) vs Complete Package (CD/Vinyl)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.33%]
12 [33.33%]
21 [58.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio (mp3) vs Complete Package (CD/Vinyl)
    Posted: June 14 2009 at 04:38
Ok, ladies and gentlemen ... since my previous poll was asking a rather rethorical question, here's the improved version. You can view the previous poll & discussion here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58729

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 14 2009 at 10:29
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 04:40
BTW: choice #2 for me ... I'm now switching to downloads for the better part of my purchases, but I'll still buy a few albums as CD or vinyl. It mostly depends on the artwork, and whether those albums are great collector's items.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 09:49
I am doing my best to buy the CDs because the feeling (and the sound quality) is different... However, I compromise with mp3s most of the times
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:27
I need the complete package. From the music vs. cover art poll:
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

The whole product is important, whether that includes artwork or not. The problem with downloaded albums is that I find it hard to think of them as finished products when I have to burn them on a CD and print the cover myself to have a hard copy. I would, however, gladly buy an album that was released on vinyl without a sleeve and with a blank label, since in that case there would be nothing missing from the album.
On the other hand, if the album in question was only released as a download, I could consider buying it just to hear the music, but I would never consider it a proper album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:31
^ that's interesting. For me an album is really defined through the music *only* ... even in the special cases (some were posted in the other thread) where the booklet really adds to the album, I would always consider it something that's "on top of" the album itself.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:31
The music is enough for me. That is that substance that I'm buying, isn't it? Smile
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:47
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ that's interesting. For me an album is really defined through the music *only* ... even in the special cases (some were posted in the other thread) where the booklet really adds to the album, I would always consider it something that's "on top of" the album itself.

I guess what troubles me is that a bunch of files on a hard drive, even if you know they together make an album, are not inseparable in the same way as the tracks on a CD or vinyl. What's even more shocking is that you can buy album tracks without buying the whole album. That's like buying individual scenes from a movie or chapters from a book. Shocked Confused
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:50
Perhaps a more accurate way of saying (paper/plastic) which is somewhat leading, is to phrase it the way we dinosaurs think of it (CD w/ booklet/artwork/sleeve). 

Though even with the generic phrasing I would hope most people appreciate the full package.  Steve Wilson laments the fact that many music listeners today miss out on that joy of opening a big gatefold concept album like Dark Side or whatever, and pouring over the mysterious musing of the band.....the feeling that came from that was unforgettable to this dinosaur...especially when Roger Dean was involved!!!

Yessongs!!! 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 11:14

BTW: choice #2 for me ... I'm now switching to downloads for the better part of my purchases, but I'll still buy a few albums as CD or vinyl. It mostly depends on the artwork, and whether those albums are great collector's items.

Gone for option 2 as well.

progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 11:32
Option 2
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:43
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Perhaps a more accurate way of saying (paper/plastic) which is somewhat leading, is to phrase it the way we dinosaurs think of it (CD w/ booklet/artwork/sleeve). 

Though even with the generic phrasing I would hope most people appreciate the full package.  Steve Wilson laments the fact that many music listeners today miss out on that joy of opening a big gatefold concept album like Dark Side or whatever, and pouring over the mysterious musing of the band.....the feeling that came from that was unforgettable to this dinosaur...especially when Roger Dean was involved!!!

Yessongs!!! 

I'm actually a big fan of vinyl releases ... I have the limited edition of PT's FoaBP (the one with the 24 page vinyl-size booklet and the black/blue marble effect vinyl). I also have Tool's last CD as a limited edition with the magnifying lense. I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense to buy CDs or vinyls anymore, I just think that I don't need to have every album of my collection in a shelf.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:45
If I spend money on something, I definitely want the full package.

However, I don't necessarily feel the need to 'own' a lot of music per se (only the biggest favorites), so I regularly use services such as the library and Spotify to determine whether I need the album in question. More than half of the albums that I listen to never enter my collection.

Option #2 for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:46

I guess what troubles me is that a bunch of files on a hard drive, even if you know they together make an album, are not inseparable in the same way as the tracks on a CD or vinyl. What's even more shocking is that you can buy album tracks without buying the whole album. That's like buying individual scenes from a movie or chapters from a book. Shocked Confused

You can buy tracks, but you don't have to. For some albums it can also make sense to buy tracks ... of course prog fans will tend to get full albums, but why not sample one of the tracks and buy the whole album later?
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:53
I like to get the biggest bang for my buck/euro/peso/yen/etc.

If I can score a great Zappa CD for 3.99 on eBay or  a used Marillion album for 1.99 at the record store, then there we go: great music plus a great physical product. Given how I seem to hover by places where used music are plentiful, this is my favourite option. Heck, sometimes I just find vinly for free.

If I can score a rare and normally pricey record off eMusic for, say, five credits... then hey, that's perfect. Sure, I don't get the packaging/item, but I do avoid paying 23 dollars for a single disc.

Always look at the cost-benefit ratio!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 13:25
^ exactly. Smile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 13:49
I think one important thing has not been mentioned yet. It would depend a lot on the source of the mp3 file. If it is not an official one you are ripping off the artist. Not only would it be illegal, it would also be counterproductive in the long run, since without money the artists can't produce more music.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 14:06
If I have the mp3 I'm happy, but being able to look at the album art and read the lyrics out of the booklet when I listen to an album helps me get into the music more. I like physically acquiring something when I buy it, plus if my hard drive fails or if my mp3 player gets stolen my music is gone, if its on my mp3 player, computer, and on cd I feel a lot safer. 
hitting_singularity2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 14:18
it seems i may be one of few with this opinion here, however i think that all music should be made available for free on the net.  I would NEVER buy music that does not come with a hard copy.  I listen to music when it comes out or when i discover an artist, then if I like it enough, i will buy the CD or vinyl. 

If i had to buy all the music that i own, i would literally be broke
St.Cleve Chronicle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 14:19

On the other hand, if the album in question was only released as a download, I could consider buying it just to hear the music, but I would never consider it a proper album.

Like Epe Helenius said, releasing an album in a physical form is a bit like a theather premiere for a movie. That is why he doesn't believe in the death of the record. And neither do I. Complete package for me.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 15:09
Originally posted by hitting_singularity2 hitting_singularity2 wrote:

it seems i may be one of few with this opinion here, however i think that all music should be made available for free on the net.  I would NEVER buy music that does not come with a hard copy.  I listen to music when it comes out or when i discover an artist, then if I like it enough, i will buy the CD or vinyl. 

If i had to buy all the music that i own, i would literally be broke

Money is the only reason I don't own a hard copy of everything I like. I just got the 70- 75 Genesis box set a few weeks ago, and even that was a lot of money for me. If I do like a band I do make an effort to buy their cds, but I will probably never completely collect everything. I was hoping to get the Henry Cow Box set and David Gilmour Live in Gdansk, but I need a couple hundred dollars. Confused I do have almost every Pink Floyd cd though, I am only missing a few, not counting compilation cds. I wish there was a way to make music free/dirt cheap but still give artists their due credit, but that isn't likely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>