Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAudio (mp3) vs Complete Package (CD/Vinyl)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Audio (mp3/flac) vs Complete Package (CD/Vinyl)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.33%]
12 [33.33%]
21 [58.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:53
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ you mean you want things to put in a shelf so that you can prove to visitors that you're spending a lot of money on music?

I used to be proud of my collection of CDs and vinyls ... but not anymore. I'm still glad that I have them, but I don't expect people to be impressed by them. Like I said in the beginning: The music is more important to me. With downloads I pay for exactly one thing: To be able to legally listen to it, or in other words: To acquire the music itself in a way that is condoned by the artists.

As far as backups are concerned: A simple USB stick will do the trick. You can get a 16GB stick for less than $20 ... that's enough storage capacity for about 160 albums, even in high bitrate MP3.

That's another thing.. Where can you legitimately buy flac or higher quality music to download?

this is a ligitimate question, does anyone know?
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 09:25
You can't, at least not for too many artists. You can check out www.mindawn.com - a limited selection of artists, but many of them are prog.

But please keep in mind that you usually can't distinguish properly ripped high bitrate MP3s from the original CD/FLAC content ... this has been shown in many independent studies.
hitting_singularity2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 09:28

You can't, at least not for too many artists. You can check out www.mindawn.com - a limited selection of artists, but many of them are prog.

But please keep in mind that you usually can't distinguish properly ripped high bitrate MP3s from the original CD/FLAC content ... this has been shown in many independent studies.

even if you have $5000 dollar speakers?

and then i rest my case on buying the hard copy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 09:37
^ some people say they hear a difference, but I don't ... and neither did the participants of this test many years ago:

http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/mp3test.html

"Our top class audio components were a pair of B&W Nautilus 803 speakers, connected to a Marantz CD-Player CD14 and a PM14 amplifier. With the Straightwire-Pro cables and accessories, this combination cost approximately 30,000 DM, an amount that few HiFi lovers could pay for their hobby. The Nautilus speakers, of high-quality English manufacture, are a first choice for studios and mastering rooms, because of their balanced, analytic and neutral sound. Furthermore, Axel Grell, from Sennheiser, (who is not related to our chief editor and unofficial competitor Detlef Grell) provided us with the electrostatic reference headphones Orpheus, along with the corresponding tube amplifier – unfortunately only for the duration of the test, because the noble small series product, priced at 20,000 DM, was the most expensive component we used."

Smile
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 18:08

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

In that case, preview first. Then, buy second-hand. Resale value is preserved, as is the physical back-up.

Buying second hand is definitely the worst thing for the artists.

My favourite artists are dead. Besides, the less money that new artists get, the better we'll all be.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 20:04
Walterisboring
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 21:23

^ some people say they hear a difference, but I don't ... and neither did the participants of this test many years ago:

http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/mp3test.html

"Our top class audio components were a pair of B&W Nautilus 803 speakers, connected to a Marantz CD-Player CD14 and a PM14 amplifier. With the Straightwire-Pro cables and accessories, this combination cost approximately 30,000 DM, an amount that few HiFi lovers could pay for their hobby. The Nautilus speakers, of high-quality English manufacture, are a first choice for studios and mastering rooms, because of their balanced, analytic and neutral sound. Furthermore, Axel Grell, from Sennheiser, (who is not related to our chief editor and unofficial competitor Detlef Grell) provided us with the electrostatic reference headphones Orpheus, along with the corresponding tube amplifier – unfortunately only for the duration of the test, because the noble small series product, priced at 20,000 DM, was the most expensive component we used."

Smile

Yeah, it's all mind over matter when you get up in the 256 Kbps range.For me , 128s really only make me cringe if the music is heavy. It usually seems to have a tinny sound at 128 in that case. I could probably listen to In a Glass House at 128k and it wouldn't hurt me too badly. It would pain me though to listen Light of Day, Day of Darkness at 128k.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 21:28
I usually encode, at 224 k, but lately my ipod has been filling up so I've dropped to 192k. I still can't really tell a difference, although I've never sat there and played the same second of a song over and over again between cd and mp3 to compare. I might be able to in that case, but to be honest, I'm already neurotic enough, I don't need to start doing stuff like that.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 23:11

In that case, preview first. Then, buy second-hand. Resale value is preserved, as is the physical back-up.

My favourite artists are dead. Besides, the less money that new artists get, the better we'll all be.

Honestly, your endless tirades about how there are no good artists since the 70s are really getting old. I don't spend my entire time on the forum ranting that I dislike neo prog or think that Magma are overrated, and I don't expect anyone else to go on about anything they dislike.

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 19:22
Option 3 Easily for me...

I've never bought MP3's... Probably never will, unless I can't get the album anyway else...

Example.
I'd rather wait two weeks to recieve my copy of Marillion's "Somewhere Else" on CD than I would download the MP3's within 5 minutes...

I do very little of my listening at the computer... And I prefer to have a full audio quality CD than MP3's.

-Joel
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 11:49
I need the complete package. I'm very conservative when it comes to the music industry
hitting_singularity2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 22:34
i found an exception to my philosophy.  I was suggested to listen to About Tess and i REALLY REALLY was excited to listen to them by their description plus the 1 album review they have.  So im looking at amazon and it cost 50 buck to order it!!! an EP!!!!  so i went to iTunes and it was $5.94  

needless to say i got the iTunes version.  This is the first time i have downloaded something rather than getting the physical, but since i'm getting into a lot less known bands, this situation may very well repeat itsself
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 22:53
Originally posted by hitting_singularity2 hitting_singularity2 wrote:

i found an exception to my philosophy.  I was suggested to listen to About Tess and i REALLY REALLY was excited to listen to them by their description plus the 1 album review they have.  So im looking at amazon and it cost 50 buck to order it!!! an EP!!!!  so i went to iTunes and it was $5.94  

needless to say i got the iTunes version.  This is the first time i have downloaded something rather than getting the physical, but since i'm getting into a lot less known bands, this situation may very well repeat itsself

That's the thing with cds, some are out of print and cost a fortune to buy, where as digital versions usually all cost relatively the same.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 23:12
I have never bought an album online to download. I have a CD collection of over 800 and a vinyl collection in the 200 area, both growing rapidly.

spewing self indulgence, yes - but I'm sure you know what my answer was
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 03:37

Very true. Although that's the way I buy most of my music. Option 2.

I'd think some artists that created music up to 1989 are still alive.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 07:50
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

I need the complete package. I'm very conservative when it comes to the music industry

Abstrakt and Progkidjoel too, awesome!!

Great to hear some of our younger members feel that way tooClap  

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Abstrakt and Progkidjoel too, awesome!!Great to hear some of our younger members feel that way tooClap  

Thanks

I've never bought MP3's, probably never will unless its an incredibly rare CD... And even then, it robs me of the satisfaction of saving up to actually buy the CD at a high price.

Thanks again
-Joel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:31
^ maybe you're either incredibly wealthy ... or you listen to few CDs. ;-)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 08:38
Interesting news:

In an attempt to get online music consumers to purchase entire albums instead of a song here and there, Apple and the four major record labels are working on a project code-named “Cocktail,” which would introduce interactive liner notes with full-album purchases. Along with lyrics, photos, and videos, the liner notes booklet would also allow users to play music on their computer without using iTunes. The new project may launch in September.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/07/27/itunes-record-labels-aim-to-jump-start-album-sales/

Edited by harmonium.ro - July 28 2009 at 08:44
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 17:28
I say I don't buy albums that I don't mind... so I always buy the physical album... there's a strange plesaure on open up a new album, the smell, the art... everything... so I go for option 3... also, I have mp3, but I really don't enjoy that much the music... I buy on internet the physical album... always..!!!!
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123