"Animals"

"The Wall"

= 6
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 16:19
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

Wow, I've never met anyone that liked BlackMoon.  That album pretty much has the same problem as the Royal Albert to me...Carl just slapping like a pop drummer instead of playing the danged things.  Pretty much like everything he's done since Asia ruined him (or possibly since he ruined Asia no way to know for sure heheheheh).  For me it's essential that all three guys play at their best for the music to work like the older stuff.  It just didn't seem to happen for me with BM.  Actually I always thought "how goes Carl is how goes the song". 

ELpowell is ok and even rocks great at times.  I don't think I can put it in with Trilogy or BSS or even any of the Works stuff though. 

Love Beach...as someone so eloquently pointed out in another thread ...WTF is that?

{jesus, I edited three times before I could spell 'no'...clearly not enough coffee yet.}

I know a lot of people that love Black Moon... most ELP fans were so glad to get this album in the 90s when most other albums out were crap... it was like a dream come true.  And it returned to some form that ELP fans were use to.  A few classical adaptations, a few original rocking tunes - I love the Black moon title song and the mtv video that went with it; and some lovely Greg ballads.

The fact that ELP weren't as progressive as they were in the 70s... well it was no longer the 70s and Black Moon was a bit more neo-prog maybe, but one heck of a great return of the ELP of yore.  Keith had some great piano melodies on here... Close to Home, Changing States... and Greg's "Affairs of the Heart" and "Footprints in the Snow" was just lovely.  I was actually listening to this the other night and I realized how much I liked "Better Days"... its a great song.

The only song on this album I don't really like is Paper Blood.

THIS IS ELP
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 15:54
Originally posted by Wizard/TRueStar Wizard/TRueStar wrote:

Honestly

Pink Floyd:  Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - P.U.L.S.E.

damn, there are at least 2 full on stumbles in that list and 2 more that are boderline, but anyone who has the king of prog-pop as their monicer I'll let slide.

Wizard/TRueStar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 15:36

Honestly

Pink Floyd:  Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - P.U.L.S.E.

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:34
yes, and then there were three, and wind and wuthering are both excellent. I actually htink I think wind and wuthering a little better than trick of the tail. Duke is awesome besides a couple crappy tunes, but the good ones make it an awesome album overall.
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:31
ok, have to ask again...those of you giving Genesis the longer run, you REALLY think And then there were 3 and Winds and Wuthering are in the same class as the rest?  Even Duke is a big cut above those 2 IMO even though it gets bashed regularly because it has 2 radio songs on it.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:29

Genesis:

Trespass>nursery cryme>foxtrot>Genesis live>selling england by the pound>the lamb lies down on broadway>trick of the tail>wind and wuthering>seconds out>spot the pigeons EP>and then there were three>duke

Then, it's all downhill from there.

Rush:

Caress of Steel>2112>all the worlds a stage>farewell to kings>hemispheres>moving pictures>exit stage left>signals>grace under pressure>power windows>hold your fire>a show of hands

then started again after presto (which sucked)

Roll the bones>counterparts>test for echo>different stages>vapor trails>feedback EP (really, it may be covers, but it's still great!)

Edited by Prog_Bassist
Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:18
Originally posted by Gloryscene Gloryscene wrote:

Yes

1. The Yes Album
  2. Fragile
  3. Close To The Edge
  4. YESSONGS - i know it is a live album but it is a cracker
  5. Tales From The Topographic Oceans
  6. Relayer
  7. Going For The One
  8. Tormato

Rush - Fly By Night through to Power Windows then restarted again with Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapour Trails

Led Zep - Led Zep I through to Presence

Camel - Debut through to Nude

Agree with my bandmate here on all of the above but also:

Tull from Aqualung to Heavy Horses

Genesis From Foxtrot through to Trick Of The Tail  - flawless period

Mars Volta from Tremulant EP through to Frances The Mute - Ok it's not many but they're just on it these boys!

ELP - Debut through to Brain Salad but then that's it for me with this fine trio.  Apart from Love Beach which I like for some sort of alpha male rock kind of way I really think they didn't do anything else that touched that early great period

King Crimson is harder cos they change so much but the whole Red era through to Discipline is where they just blow yer mind

I'm outta here

good poll this...........ta ta

Edited by Infinity
I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:38

Wow, I've never met anyone that liked BlackMoon.  That album pretty much has the same problem as the Royal Albert to me...Carl just slapping like a pop drummer instead of playing the danged things.  Pretty much like everything he's done since Asia ruined him (or possibly since he ruined Asia no way to know for sure heheheheh).  For me it's essential that all three guys play at their best for the music to work like the older stuff.  It just didn't seem to happen for me with BM.  Actually I always thought "how goes Carl is how goes the song". 

ELpowell is ok and even rocks great at times.  I don't think I can put it in with Trilogy or BSS or even any of the Works stuff though. 

Love Beach...as someone so eloquently pointed out in another thread ...WTF is that?

{jesus, I edited three times before I could spell 'no'...clearly not enough coffee yet.}

Edited by JMCecil
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:23
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Bands like ELP are easier because, assuming you like them, they pretty much made great record after great record and then poof ........no more good records (with few spotty exceptions).

Not necessarily true.. especially if you like ELP.. .because Works II  and Love Beach may of been spotty, but I really love ELPowell and Black Moon... then In the Hot Seat gets spotty again...

I really rate the ELPowel album too. On paper, that line up should never really have worked but happily the album was a resounding artistic success.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:19

Bands like ELP are easier because, assuming you like them, they pretty much made great record after great record and then poof ........no more good records (with few spotty exceptions).

Not necessarily true.. especially if you like ELP.. .because Works II  and Love Beach may of been spotty, but I really love ELPowell and Black Moon... then In the Hot Seat gets spotty again...

THIS IS ELP
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:11
How difficult it must be just for a band/artist to string TWO good albums together but I guess the guys that got closest to a run of great albums was for me Yes in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm not a huge fan nowadays but I think that there is a case to say that between The Yes Album, Fragile & Close To The Edge, the band worked up to a creative peak.

Sorry to say that IMO, Topographic Oceans however, was a bridge too far.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:05
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by HaroldLand HaroldLand wrote:

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Actually the main guideline was to have people explain why they thought the album at either end broke the chain.  Like the Tormato example for me is not for someone else.  Although 90125 is a much clearer break.

JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:00

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album.. sure it devates, and is a bit of a fall from the magnatude of greatness that going for the one has, but i still think it's an awesome album, and i cant see how self proclaimed yes fans give it such disregard..

obviously my opinion is slanted because i personally am a fan of the album, but stil.. it's still yes' finest lineup, there is tons of awesome music on that record (save circus of heaven), but future times/rejoice, don't kill the whale and on the silent wings of freedom are, imo, as good as anything on going for the one, and onward is one of the most beautiful pieces of yes music in their huge repertoire..

whoa, i just realized this isnt a yes thread.. hehe

Well, I think a few people are missing the spirit of the thread.  If you look at my example you would see that I ask people to say why the albums that start and stop the chain are stoppers.  Also, some are just putting the albums they like from the bands they like.

If you look several people have put from Yes->Drama.  I think that is a huge stretch.  But whatever.  I also like Tormato, but just like other bands goodbutnotgreat records if you put them on side by side with say Tormato/Fragile...Tormato loses in almost every aspect of making a record IMO.  But if you put Fragile/Relayer you can have a preference but they hold up well against each other.

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 07:13
I guess it means an unbroken chain of 4 or 5 star albums.

GG (7): ATT - PTF

Yes (7): TYA - GFTO

ELP (7): ELP - Works 1

BMS (7): BMS -  di Terra

Rush (5): AFTK - E...SL

Tangerine Dream (5): Phaedra - Encore

Genesis (4): NC - TLLDOB

JT (4):  Aqualung - APP

KC: a broken chain with 5 great records
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:34
Originally posted by Geee Geee wrote:

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

07 Tales From Topographic Oceans

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

05 Selling England by the Pound
06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 
10 And Then There Were Three

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

But I wasn't finished yet:

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

No, I'm not going to defend this. I'm going to run for my life  ...

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:22

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

07 Tales From Topographic Oceans

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

05 Selling England by the Pound
06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 
10 And Then There Were Three

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

But I wasn't finished yet:

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

No, I'm not going to defend this. I'm going to run for my life  ...

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

Gloryscene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 05:51

Yes

1. The Yes Album
  2. Fragile
  3. Close To The Edge
  4. YESSONGS - i know it is a live album but it is a cracker
  5. Tales From The Topographic Oceans
  6. Relayer
  7. Going For The One
  8. Tormato

Rush - Fly By Night through to Power Windows then restarted again with Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapour Trails

Led Zep - Led Zep I through to Presence

Camel - Debut through to Nude

"The Beautiful Ally Of Your Own Gravediggers"

www.gloryscene.co.uk
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 04:37

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 03:38

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk -----to---- Ice Cream for Crow = 12

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>