FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Guitar Effects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Guitar Effects
    Posted: June 19 2009 at 18:08
I was wondering if anyone can give me info on the effects used by Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Robert Fripp, Gary Green and pretty much  pretty much any classic prog guitarist. Thanks.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 23:16
Can you be more specific?  I would assume they would follow the usual....overdrive/fuzz, echo, wah, flanger, phaser....
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 02:50
Fripp invented his own guitar effects, called Frippertronics.  Hackett does wonders with the Echoplex and the tremolo bar on his Fernandes electric.  The best effect from Steve Howe is the fact the he reclaimed the electric slide guitar for something other than country-western.  It's the only way to use the electric slide!
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 02:53
^ My Variax guitar has a Sitar model ... I could amplify it a bit (clean amp model with slight distortion) and then use a slide. Slide Sitar ... I wonder who ever did that before.Smile
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:03
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

The best effect from Steve Howe is the fact the he reclaimed the electric slide guitar for something other than country-western.

And then he put TONS of echo on it! Just think of AND YOU AND I or SOON. When Howe is good, he's really good, but on a bad night he makes a mess of it...
GaryB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 11:02

This topic will probably get moved to Tech Talk where there are several ongoing threads about amp-modeling and various effects pedals.

A knowledgeable guitarist can get a variety of sounds from a guitar with four knobs and a selector switch in addition to the various amp settings. When you add a pedal and a couple of stomp boxes your choice of sounds is multiplied. This doesn't even include the more recent "digital" effects that are available.

I think the best way to find out who uses (or used) what to get their sound is to research the net for interviews. "How do you get your sound?" is a pretty common question in these interviews and most guitarists like talking about their gear or gear in general.

Try starting with Guitar Player's website. Most sites like that keep a lot of interviews in their archives. Let us know what you find.
yesman1972 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 13:33
Thanks all. Yes, Howe is a beast. I was looking at some photos of Genesis, and I saw a bunch of unrecognizable effects at the feet of Mr. Hackett. I was just wondering if anyone might have read about them somewhere. I have an interview with Hackett in an issue of Guitar Player in which they mention his use of lots of effects, but what the effects specifically were didn't come up. Fripp claims that he never used much besides fuzz pedals in the old days. Howe uses tremelo, chorus and wah on some of the Yes studio stuff. My goal is to see if any of the specific models they used are still being made. I doubt many are. 
yesman1972 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 13:38
I found something of interest to any Hackett fan. I was browsing the exhibits at genesismuseum.com
and found a layout of Hackett's effects and Collins' drums. http://www.genesismuseum.com/mags/ciao2001may74.htm
Neat stuff!!!

Edited by yesman1972 - June 20 2009 at 13:40
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 05:37
EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS!

Its the Moog Guitar!

Moog Guitar Review!

Pretty cool - Supposedly insanely expensive though...
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 06:01
^Wow, because that's news and hasn't been out for a while now *rolls eyes*
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 06:49
^ I hadn't heard of it before ... Embarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 12:19
Hi,

You should be able to find this information on the internet ... the only problem with this is that these guys have things done for them individually to match a lot of their own talents and abilities ...

I would not consider trying to learn these in bulk ... you better get comfortable with one effect so you know what you are doing ... or it's gonna go south real quick and you will not sound good. Whatever you do, do not try to sound like anyone else ... that is the mark of "copy" ... not original.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 12:25

The best effect from Steve Howe is the fact the he reclaimed the electric slide guitar for something other than country-western.  It's the only way to use the electric slide!

Ehh... You're blowing it way outta proportion.  I'm not saying it wasn't original, but slide wasn't just country western.  Chicago blues already had some pretty heavy slide that Steve wasn't as far off of

Edited by himtroy - June 23 2009 at 12:25
GaryB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 09:59

I have been a fan of slide (or bottleneck) guitar for as long as I can remember. I've always liked Ry Cooder, Leo Kotke, early Ron Wood and Billy Gibbons. And of course, Duane Allman. As a kid I saw a lot of country music on TV but didn't pay attention to it because the pedal steel was not a standard guitar and the Dobro was strapped on but held flat like a pedal steel. So it was basically blues and rock slide that I became a fan of. I'm glad the slide style remained after the blues crusade period faded away.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 11:00
Fripp talks in detail here about his gear: http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=18446
thechrisl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 15:59
Howe used a lot of FX at various stages.  Slapback echo, fender amps seem to be a common theme.  Someone mentioned it I think but a lot of the slide you hear (like To Be Over, Gates of Delirium) is really lap/pedal steel.  Great book here but out of print, wtf?

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Howe-Guitar-Collection/dp/0879302909

Amp makes a big difference too.  Something I found out recently -- Hackett, Fripp, Lifeson, Martin Barre and of course Gilmour all had at least one thing associated with their most famous works -- Hi-Watt!

Fripp in a '74 interview:

Why did you happen to stick with a Hi-Watt amplifier?

Because it's a fairly versatile amplifier, since I needed a change in sound, and I don't like valve amplifiers for guitar. I've had new cabinets built for me with Electro-Voice speakers in them, and I'm most impressed. I used to use a Marshall. It was good for me at the time, but I felt the Hi-Watt was a little more versatile. I think Marshall is probably better for, or at least as good for, live raucous music, but I haven't found anyone using Marshall for some time. Everyone seems to have gone to Hi-Watt.

How do you hook up the guitar and amplifier?

I plug into the brilliant channel with a jump lead from the brilliant to the normal. In other words, I feed the brilliant signals into the normal, and then turn that up [the normal channel] to equal the brilliant. It adds bottom. Hi-Watt has a volume control for normal and brilliant channels, and a master volume to do the overall level. If you want to have a pure sound you turn your master up and your individual volumes down. Now you find certain changes in tone, the ratio between the two. I use the master volume down and the individual volumes both up to get a rather hairy sound even at a very low level. It also depends on the guitar working with its pick-up volume on full.

thechrisl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 16:07
Hackett & Howe did a lot of volume pedal swells too. 

Dead ringer for early Lifeson sound (if you're into that) would be a Maestro PS-1a phaser.  Instant Caress of Steel!  http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/maestro/ps1a

I've been thinking about this stuff for many years... 
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 16:13

Fripp invented his own guitar effects, called Frippertronics. 

Actually, Eno introduced him to the tape-based delay system. Fripp used it extensively in the 70s and 80s.

By the 90s and 00s, he went for a digital approach based on several expensive rackmount units. Check 'em out at http://www.guitarcraftguitars.com/rfgear/#Alunar
Mifesto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 20:11
The main thing with the use of effects is creativity. I think that when your your trying to replicate a style, whether it be prog, metal, etc., it really limits you by setting perimeters on the effects musics sound. The best thing i can suggest is just messing around with some effects to see what you like and then you can be the judge of whats prog and what isn't. 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 10:46
EHX pedals are all stuff you might needWink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>