Topic ClosedAranis in Paris 19/06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aranis in Paris 19/06
    Posted: June 20 2009 at 04:52

Le Triton (in Les Lilas a Parisian suburb) now in his tenth year has become  one of the important prog venues in Europe, with an accent on Zeuhl (homeclub of Magma) and Canterbury. In the begining of the summer the club schedules Les Tritonales a two week festival dedicated entirely to Prog (see also Harmonium's Univers Zero review) a good occasion to see classic bands like Magma, Univers Zero and Canterbury musicians (who had unfortunately sad losses these last times with the departure of Pip Pyle, Elton Dean and lately Hugh Hopper who have all played often here) but it's also the occasion to discover newer bands like Aranis.

Contrary to the attendence of the Magma and Univers Zero concerts a couple of days ago there were only about fifteen people in the audience. I spokeduring  the pause with Angeline from the admin staff who was unhappy about the missing audience, but  as Le Triton is a non benefit association the means for advertising are limited and for lesser known acts the audience is unfortunaerly sometimes quite small even so the club is still in reach of the Parisian subway.(last stop of line 11 'Mairie De Lilas') So on your next trip to Paris check out the programme!!!

With seven musicians on stage and about twice as much audience members the band seemed slightly disappoined when coming on stage, but as they got a hearty welcome this was quickly forgotten.  Le Triton works like a Jazz club in set fashion and the first set was interesting but a little stiff . The compositions coming nearly all from bass player Joris Vanvinckenroye are excellent and the band is tight and has a good ensemble play. I would describe their music  as Imaginary Folk Minimalism. P. Glass and S. Reich are obvioulsy a big influence but also eastern European folk tunes, some passages reminding Bartok's work on Roumanian and Ungarian folk tunes. Despite the enthusiasm and the good musicianship the music didn't really got off the ground during the first set apart from some solo passages, with a special mention for the energetic piano playing from Axelle Kennes the rest of the band was too reserved. Even so the acoustic au Triton is normally excellent Aranis had for my taste an unbalanced sound with too much high end and the lack of medium and low end (the double bass was far  too low in the mix) which didn't served the music.

After abeer and a chat at the bar, (Le Triton is familar venue where you can easily make contact with the musicians and fans) back to the second set...

...which  showed the band more confident, the music was edgier and rougher and the musicians getting looser. While the first set presented a quieter and dreamier athmosphere the second set was closer to the dynamics of Univers Zero and Present with stronger rhythmic accents and a "rockier" sound even so no electric instruments are present. The audience reacted positively and cheered the playfullnes! The second set saw also elaborated solo sections from all members again with a special mention for pianist Axelle Kennes

All in all a pleasant concert and I am curious to see Aranis in september on a bigger stage in Carmeaux during the RIO festival.

Edited by Alucard - June 20 2009 at 05:19
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 04:57
Thanks for the review Martin, wish I could attend.

When you speak of sets, did they play material from their two albums? Did they play new material as well?

Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:06
Assaf,
I was not familiar at all with their music before the concert, each set lasted about 45 minutes so I suppose they played most of their material...plus one or two unreleased compos...
BTW will you be in Carmeaux?

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:09
Wow, interesting. Big smile

It's sad the attendence was mediocre.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:14
I am little anoyed seeing all these big retro acts nowadays getting so much exposure like  BJH playing with some Philharmonic orchstra in a big venue while newer band just struggle to get decent concerts....Unhappy.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:30
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the review! I am quite upset to read that there's so very little interest for good music. France seems to me like not such a good place for non-conformism. Just the same old Johnny Holiday, French hip-hop, French lame cinema (as opposed to the French great cinema), French commercial TV etc everywhere and everywhere. Very few persons seem to be interested in foreign languages, expanding their cultural horizons, looking for something new. Even the usage of the internet is restricted: the providers think they "know" what the normal traffic usage should be (quite low, that is) and if you go above that limit they'll block your ports and limit your acces, even though the offer you are fully paying for says "unlimited traffic" Angry This is my biggest dissapointment in France, which is great anyway and I'm sure there are enough exceptions to what I said. Anyway I haven't been here for such a long time in order to be allowed to pass judgements.

Well, now that I've passed over the rant moment Tongue I want to add that when I picked my concerts from Tritonales "menu" they were Magma, Univers Zero and One Shot because these are the bands I liked the most and were the most interesting for me, not because I wasn't interested in the others too. I have my limitations too (budget, and also that I don't live in Paris). BUT if I would have been told that the gorgeous naked bodies from the concert poster were those of the band-members, I would have even walked 100 km to attend to this concert. Big smile And one last question, are you coming at One Shot tonight?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:30
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

Assaf,
I was not familiar at all with their music before the concert, each set lasted about 45 minutes so I suppose they played most of their material...plus one or two unreleased compos...

I see. Did you get their albums? Both brilliant.

BTW will you be in Carmeaux?

Sadly no, I can't afford it (coming from the US).
But I'll be looking forward to your reports and to videos that you and other goers will post Big smile

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:36
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Assaf,

I see. Did you get their albums? Both brilliant.

The first more than the second. Big smile
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:37
Mr. Harmonium, what naked bodies?? Shocked
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:43
^ These:

It was the photo used for the poster, but I see it's a sort of logo for the band.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 05:57
Oh, that. It's also the cover of the debut.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 06:21

Unfortunately am not free tonight Alex, One Shot is a great band , have fun and I am waiting for your concert review!Wink

BTW yes the Aranis girls are cute, also I don't recognize the one on the cover they were less undressed soBig smile

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 07:37
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the review! I am quite upset to read that there's so very little interest for good music. France seems to me like not such a good place for non-conformism. Just the same old Johnny Holiday, French hip-hop, French lame cinema (as opposed to the French great cinema), French commercial TV etc everywhere and everywhere. 

Yes, it's a shame that a country with such a great cultural tradition doesn't put more the spotlight on its real great artists : Pierre Bensusan (I am pretty sure he has more fame in the US than in France), Didier Malherbe, Akphaezya, Sebka Chott, or the guitar hero Christophe Godin (who played with mathias Ekhlund, not sure that Morglbl trio is on PA though ?)...

On the contrary, Poland (my native country) has such prog artists as Gargantua (RIO), Riverside, Quidam, Satellite, Lao Che...whose albums can be easily found in the record stores or megastores like Empik (polish equivalent of Virgin or french FNAC) who have a huge fan base. But also artists like Leszek Mozdzer (pianist who released three albums with Palle Danielsson and Zohar Fresco in a jazz/world vein) or Piotr Anderszewski (probably the best current "classical" pianist) are also acclaimed and listened by Poles.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 11:01
I love both of those albums by Aranis.  I thank Avestin for alerting me to the band.  What a shame that it had such a small audience.  I certainly would have gone had I been able to attend.

For those reading this that don't know the band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_BwXgDsZI&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxsjMKnmD4

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:16
^
it sounds like a cross between the minimalistic work of Philipp Glass and the movie soundtracks of Yann Tiersen.

Belgium is a country full of talents.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:20
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^
it sounds like a cross between the minimalistic work of Philipp Glass and the movie soundtracks of Yann Tiersen.

Belgium is a country full of talents.

Well described -- it sounds like that to me too.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 12:33
I was here!
Just a little correction: this evening, the band wasn't complete,for one of the violonist had to stay in Belgium because of a death in her family...
On a lightier note, I talked with them a bit and learned that the woman on the cover is a dancer, not a member of the band. If I understood what they told me, the male model on the cover of their first CD is Joris. Hope the groupies will appreciate this cover.

I was surprised to see so few people at this concert. I'm still puzzled by the fact that the French progressive sites which are aware of the activities of the Triton did not warn of this concert. Too bad! We'll be the happy few who 'saw them on their first concert in France, back in 2009, ya know, good ole times..."

Now, I'm waiting for R.I.O.: they should have released their new CD at this time.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 07:54
Hi Martin,

glad I could entice to see them! It's a little sad that they were difficult to start with, but if one violinist missing, I can understand  it took them time to find their marks.

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Oh, that. It's also the cover of the debut.

Almost indeed!! but if you look closely those are male bodies on the debut album. Which is the better album, especially with the 15 mins epic.

And no, most likely, it's not their own bodies on the second album's shoot.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply