Topic ClosedOpeth Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 19:58
Originally posted by Abbath Abbath wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

it is cherished too much in the ridiculous Death Metal scene and criticized in the Prog Rock/Metal scene.

"Cherished"? It's a mainstay. It's a required element.

Tell me why the scene is rediculous. Unless you can back up your absurd claims, don't say stupid things.

So you dont think an adult barking down a microphone to music is ridiculous.Ermm

Stupid is as stupid does....Stern Smile

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 20:25

Tell me why the scene is rediculous. Unless you can back up your absurd claims, don't say stupid things.

The scene is absolutely ridiculous you know why? Because I feel that in some bands like Obituary and Deicide, the growls are abused heavily. I know this because I have once owned their albums and I can tell you that its just absolutely f**king ridiculous. The people in the scene is also why. If you haven't payed attention before, during and after the concerts.

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 22:26
So somehow, because SOME bands are ridiculous, ALL that use similar techniques deserve to be painted with the same brush? I don't think that's right.
Abbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 00:03

The scene is absolutely ridiculous you know why? Because I feel that in some bands like Obituary and Deicide, the growls are abused heavily. I know this because I have once owned their albums and I can tell you that its just absolutely f**king ridiculous. The people in the scene is also why. If you haven't payed attention before, during and after the concerts.

Abused? What do you want them to do? Sing in falsetto? Abused... that's like saying prog vocalists abuse melody...

Death metal is more than vocals. That stuff going on in the background is also a major component.

Abbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 00:04
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

it is cherished too much in the ridiculous Death Metal scene and criticized in the Prog Rock/Metal scene.

So you dont think an adult barking down a microphone to music is ridiculous.Ermm

That's so close minded, I won't even point out how unbelieveably stupid that post was.
Entropia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 00:36

Originally posted by Entropia Entropia wrote:

Opeth are awesome....i used to hate the growling but try to imagine opeth's heaviest songs without growling.

That would not sound very good.

that's what i was saying

Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 01:07

Opeth are awesome....i used to hate the growling but try to imagine opeth's heaviest songs without growling.

That would not sound very good.

That was my point right from the beginning.  I was just expressing how I like the music and dislike the growling. Just expressing an opinion on a forum that's it. I think I have that right, no?

Cheers

"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 03:32

That's so close minded, I won't even point out how unbelieveably stupid that post was.

You are a teenager right?

I wont even point out how peer pressure affects your tastes,sheepboy!Wink

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 05:23
Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum ( if that is of any interest).
Anyway, regarding the opeth issue, I am sure most of you will agree that is progressive enough to be mentioned in this site. However I can totally understand how the vocals can be irritating for some  but that is just an issue of aquired taste. I percieve the vocals as a way to express emotions ( isn't this what music is all about?) and as such I feel that if an artist wants to express feelings of complete and utter rage or gloom or darkness etc, the growls are an ideal way. If those are the kind of feelings you don't mind experiencing when listening to music, then I don't see why growls can hurt you. Don't  get me wrong, i'd rather be listening to good ol' prog rock over death metal, but it doesn't fell right to discard such a prolific band as utter rubish.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 09:53

Are you under the impression that death metal is a hip part of teenage culture? At college I've seen maybe three people with any sort of extreme metal clothing on, and maybe a few more power metal, and they're all geeks!

No one seems to have any answer to my point about sprechgesang, but I'd like to reinforce it in that plenty of 19th and 20th century operas have tortured screams in at relevenant parts of the story. Granted it isn't all the way through, but nor is Opeth's growling . In fact "Forgotten Sons" by Marillion has Fish shouting "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHH-MEN!", does it not?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 09:54

Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

Why is it everybody has to completely flame the bands and albums they can't stand?

Hey come on, at least that one was funny

Warren View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 10:41
I bought Blackwater Park a long time ago and just didn't get it at all so took it back to the record shop and exchanged it. I'm starting to think that maybe I should get myself another copy now, though, as Damnation seemed like a bit of a let down (the "lighter" songs not being as majestic as many of their predecessors). I'm also starting to think that with my hi-fi as it is now, the "loud bits" of the previous albums wont sound as boomy and abrasive. As for growling, I've got used to screaming, and at least Opeth seems to do it well. An acquired taste, though, indeed. 
Abbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 11:56

What with all the baseless attacks and abuse of smilies, I'd say I'm the one who's more mature here.

I don't limit myself to one genre. I just happen to know quite a bit about Death Metal and it irks me when I see someone misunderstand it. Plus, Opeth is barely Death Metal.
Abbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 12:00
Originally posted by Warren Warren wrote:

I bought Blackwater Park a long time ago and just didn't get it at all so took it back to the record shop and exchanged it. I'm starting to think that maybe I should get myself another copy now, though, as Damnation seemed like a bit of a let down (the "lighter" songs not being as majestic as many of their predecessors). I'm also starting to think that with my hi-fi as it is now, the "loud bits" of the previous albums wont sound as boomy and abrasive. As for growling, I've got used to screaming, and at least Opeth seems to do it well. An acquired taste, though, indeed. 

A common mistake is that people rush to the last three albums, meanwhile, the earliermaterial is much less formulaic and have some unbelievable passages. Still Life is most like their later stuff, but is executed amazingly. It's their best album. If you feel down for the challenge, you should check out the first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise. They're some great works, but you have to look past a lot of lulls and some awkward moments due to the band still trying to figure out exactly what they were doing.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 12:10

What with all the baseless attacks and abuse of smilies, I'd say I'm the one who's more mature here.

I don't limit myself to one genre. I just happen to know quite a bit about Death Metal and it irks me when I see someone misunderstand it. Plus, Opeth is barely Death Metal.

If that's your idea of an "attack" I reckon you should get out a bit more!Wink

What's there to "understand" about death metal? Enlighten me please.Big smile

Just for the record I own Blackwater Park and Damnation.

I grew up with Motorhead,Sabbath et al and saw them all live regularly in the 70's,so I understand "metal"......

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 12:45
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Originally posted by Geee Geee wrote:

But the vocals!

Yes, the vocals are great and Mikael is the best Death metal singer the world has ever seen. Is there a problem here?

I like the goblin dude from cradle of filth better

Entropia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 13:30
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

But the vocals!

Yes, the vocals are great and Mikael is the best Death metal singer the world has ever seen. Is there a problem here?

LOL

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 14:05

Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

But the vocals!

LOL

Ok, ok, I have to say Mikael is DEFINITELY a Death Metal vocalist. Ever heard his other, even more noisy (former) band BLOODBATH? Now if he is not a Death metal vocalist, I might as well say I'm dead.

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 20:26
Originally posted by Raymon7174 Raymon7174 wrote:

Thanks. Your comments are helpful.

BTW, you're welcome...I missed your thanks in the middle of all the inanity.
lalala View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 09:56

dont listen to her... i dont like opeth all that much but my sister loves them so im familiar. i have to say still life is awful though. soooo cheesy. akerfeldt tries being all moralistic... forgiveness, love, respect of religion, blah blah blah. and its worse because he cant write lyrics worth beans. although i cut him slack because english is his second language. still, that album is too fluffy and goody two shoes. ok so not learning to forgive and to maintain a relationship with god means insanity? riiight.

i agree with you people by the way... the growling is very bad. even people who can tolerate it, im sure they cant actually ENJOY it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>