Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturn to Forever = Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Forever = Dream Theater
    Posted: June 25 2009 at 12:53
I just downloaded Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior last night and I got to track 4 "Majestic Dance." There are sections of this that sound very much like Dream Theater...it's a little uncanny. It's like prog metal from the mid to late 90's recorded in the 70's. And it's good!!!

Anyone else noticed this?

Lot's of the eighties guitar heroes cite DiMeola as a major influence, but I hadn't heard Pertucci mention him. It's a little uncanny.

Edited by Negoba - June 25 2009 at 12:53
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
MysticDreams2331 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 15:31
Petrucci mentions all the time that Di Meola is one of his favs. He states "the als and steves" meaing vai morse holdsworth dimeola howe. But anyway yeah there are def. similarities. The whole unison, solos, and unexpected turns etc. were def. happening in the 70's fusion. You should listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra as well. 
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 23:20
They don't feel too similar in my perception. Dream Theater gives off a a more straight forward rock feel to me, while Return to Forever has more of a groovy feel. 

Edited by Dominic - June 25 2009 at 23:48
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 08:43

I guess I was exaggerating a little. The two bands come from completely different places, but the end product was strangely similar for certain sections of music. If you listen to the song I referenced, I think you'll understand what I'm getting at. It's not even 10% of the Romantic Warrior album, but it's certainly there. If Pertucci really was that into DiMeola, I would dare say that if you want to trace the roots of Prog Metal, this is a good place to look.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 23:33
DiMeola certainly brought a "metal" edge to RTF.  I am not so sure that RTF when DiMeola was with them is a "good place to look" for roots to prog metal.  Anything that Ritchie Blackmore was a part of in the 70s (Deep Purple, Blackmore's Rainbow, etc.) might be more of a place to look for such roots.  Also, Black Sabbath - maybe even Zeppelin...

Edited by prog4evr - June 26 2009 at 23:34
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 23:40
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

maybe even Zeppelin...

I listen to so much abrasive music nowadays, Zepp is starting to sound like country music to me.
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 00:00
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I just downloaded Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior last night and I got to track 4 "Majestic Dance." There are sections of this that sound very much like Dream Theater...it's a little uncanny. It's like prog metal from the mid to late 90's recorded in the 70's. And it's good!!!

Anyone else noticed this?

Lot's of the eighties guitar heroes cite DiMeola as a major influence, but I hadn't heard Pertucci mention him. It's a little uncanny.

I definitely notice the influence of RTF on DT. The guys in DT are outstanding musicians (even if I don't really like what they do). They have all named the Prog and Fusion greats as their influences. Just listen to their tribute on Change of Seasons. These guys know the roots.

"Arf, she said"
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 00:56
i know exactly what you're talking about. I started a thread about a year or so ago about this very topic. dont know where it is right now

^ DT are basically a mish-mash of the best influences of prog rock, metal and jazz rock and make it their own when you think of it that way
 Post Reply Post Reply