Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

I However, I'm interested that the melodies don't stick, that was always something I thought we had, was simple melodies.

Hmm... interesting indeed. I find the melodies on this album to be much more memorable than on, for example, Doomsday Afternoon. The first vocal lines in 'Waiting for the axe to fall' will probably be stuck in my head for weeks LOL

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 16:37
I tend to think of it as an album of 3 or 4 songs with a lot of transitions.  However, I'm interested that the melodies don't stick, that was always something I thought we had, was simple melodies.  perhaps this one is getting more abstruse!

I do know that the next one (which is mostly in the can) is a bit more stripped back and hence a bit simpler...

Let me know if anything gets into your mind from this one, Johnobvious
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 16:17
I thought my 1,000th post would some memorable thing but here goes:

I have been through it four times and it is a challenging listen.  I am hamstrung in that I have difficulty with any of my music in being able to sit down and concentrate on what is going on.  Short commute to work. Although I listen at work, I lose focus on the music as I work.  Wife and kids at home who could care less about my music so I don't play it at home.  An album like this is something that needs to be listened to intently, not as background music.  It will be hard album to review and do it justice because a lot is going on and not many melodies stick with you.  I appreciate the scope and the desire to keep moving forward that Phideaux shows.  You are someone who stands out from the pack and defies convention.  If I had to rate it now, it would be four stars with the hope that more listens will hook me deeper than it has so far.  For those who like a challenging listen and appreciate what the man is all about, a must buy.  For those with simpler tastes, look before you leap.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
nigela View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 16:05
I'll get back to you on the bits that I though were a bit woolly.

King By-Tor, please do not feel sorry for me... that is really patronising as my opinion is equally as valid as yours and I know what I like (in my wardrobe)

No, I do not want to do a review really, I have said all I needed to. My opinion after all, but I do like alot of Phideaux material, so I was wanting to air my concerns, do with them what you wish

inrainbows View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 15:51
Just upacked and heard "number 7".
Oh God ! it seems to be my 2009 number 1 album!
congrats Xavier!  my review will follow soon  Smile
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 14:35
Nigela, I would be curious to know where the keys and drum timing issues are.  Always interesting to hear something from someone else's perspective, so I'd love to know where it goes off the rails for you re: timing.

As for Jeff Wayne, I've not gotten that before.   I have not ever heard him, except for the Hayward sung track (from Moodie's box).  Perhaps I should check him out.  I thought he was along the lines of Alan Parsons, never really checked it out.

cheers and thanks for the thought and input from everyone.  And Nigela, thanks for giving it the old college try with the spins!  That's more than I'll listen to some albums that annoy me!

EDIT:  Nigela, you should rate it and post a review.  Then your opinion will help balance all the hoopla and hype surrounding it!

Edited by Phideaux - July 26 2009 at 14:38
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 13:47
lolz, attack on the first post.

Your opinion is your opinion. It seems a lot of people think differently than you. I've even seen 1 star ratings for Close To The Edge and Thick As A Brick. Does that make them bad? No, not at all. If you don't like it then you don't like it. Sorry for you.
nigela View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 13:43
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I have now spun this album 3 times (not wanting to jump the gun) and I am afraid I have a very different take on it.

A sprawling album that spends alot of its time trying to work out what it wants to be, which is awash with muddy reverbs and features some very dubious timing issues in the drums and keys department.

There are some great ideas here struggling to get out from under the obvious desire for gravitas through over arrangement. A pity because the basics are very well crafted.

The hat is passed around and Tull, Renaissance, Moody Blues, Jeff Wayne drop into it, as the album unfolds, ticking some unseen boxes 
For me the highlight is "My Sleeping Slave" for its inate simplicity and clarity

If this is indeed a 'masterpiece', then I for one am very disappointed.

Maybe next time?

Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 12:28
I have listened this new album and I loved it.
This is the music I love: very close to Doomsday Afternoon's retro prog.
Sometimes it seems like Mike Oldfield. Anyone realize it too?
Let the sunshine in
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 10:14
Hey everyone,

Well this is my first post here on PA (though i have been around for quite some time) and I just couldn't resist complimenting your latest effort.
I've been an admirer of your music for some time and after having given this album about 15 spins I have to say that Number Seven is a masterpiece, maybe even better than Doomsday Afternoon.
The melody, the complexity and the flow of the album as a whole is all perfect to these ears. Congrats on the end result Phideaux!

Oh and I might write a review (my first one) later ;-)

Edited by Zebedee - July 26 2009 at 14:46

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 22:24
Great Album! LOVE it!Smile
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Phideaux,

Congrats, not only on a fantastic album, but the fact that it keeps climbing slowly up the charts of all time best albums on the Prog Archives.  I realize that it's still early in the life cycle of the CD, but 43 of the 51 people gave it five stars, including everyone who took the time to accompany the review with a rating.  Strong work Phideaux.

Clap

Are we some kind of hive or something? TongueLOL

Hah, well played Slarti
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 21:25
I just ordered this. I can't wait to hear it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:37
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Phideaux,

Congrats, not only on a fantastic album, but the fact that it keeps climbing slowly up the charts of all time best albums on the Prog Archives.  I realize that it's still early in the life cycle of the CD, but 43 of the 51 people gave it five stars, including everyone who took the time to accompany the review with a rating.  Strong work Phideaux.

Clap

Are we some kind of hive or something? TongueLOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 26 2009 at 11:51
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 19:40
Phideaux,

Clap

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
sampo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 12:58
Got my disc today and... Wow, PX, this is some fantastic piece of music you and your band put together. The arrangements and the compositions are so well executed along the story it actually leaves me empty at times. I won't go as far as saying this is better than Doomsday Afternoon (it's close to impossible, being one of my all-time favourite records) but a few more listens and I may have to revise that statement.

IMO, you and your band are one of the (if not 'the') most accomplished acts in prog rock today. NEVER quit!
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 15:33
Got it today and listened to it ~ 5 times, this is really marvellous. Expectations were high after Doomsday afternoon and reading reviews/comments here but they're fully met. Outstanding album. I'll surely checkout the rest of your catalog after hearing this. Congrats to you and the band ClapClapClap.

Hans from Progwalhalla who sold me the album was impressed too and thought it the best Phideaux album sofar, he may well be right.

Edited by Dirk - July 15 2009 at 15:34
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 12:38
Phideaux,

Number Seven is fantastic.  There will be a review coming, though I need to give it a few more listens before I can do the album justice.  I'll say this, I've loved Doomsday since I picked it up, but Number Seven may even be better.  This is great stuff Phideaux.

Thank you,

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:28
If you're going a catalog raid the order probably doesn't matter.  I got The Great Leap about a week before Doomsday.  I like Doomsday a little better.  But as it goes, I have yet to try a Phideaux album I didn't like.

Still drooling in anticipation for the day when I open up my mailbox when I get home after work and the new one has arrived.

It's here, it's here.  Just getting into it.  Excellent CD booklet art.  The music will take a few days to sink in.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 13 2009 at 20:26
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 09:48
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

Pignose, Number Seven exists independently of the trilogy that The Great Leap and Doomsday Afternoon belong to. My advice is to go with Doomsday Afternoon. It's pure brilliance, all the way through, while The Great Leap is, as I understand it, less a prog record and more an art rock sort of venture, along the lines of (though probably plenty different from) 313. I don't think there should be anyone in this thread who does not have and play regularly Doomsday Afternoon. Wink

Also, the CD artwork says the album is called "Number Seven." The majority of listeners on last.fm, however, have put it down as "Number 7." I'm trying to decide myself. Is 7 1/2 going to be called "Number 7 1/2"? Or is it just going to be "7 1/2"? I'm not sure entirely why I care. Okay. Anal retentive, that's the term. THAT'S why I care...

Also, I don't do math very well, so I didn't catch the correlation between Candybrain and Prequiem. However, I felt that Darkness at Noon (which I think I read was an outcast Doomsday tune anyways) seemed to hearken back towards the melodies of that previous album. Especially when the line "...I was separated from you" is sung.

I was going to get Doomsday Afternoon, but I got Chupacabras at a cheaper price.  Embarrassed  However, that's a good thing since it invites me to acquire other works by this gentleman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>