Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Phideaux album "Number Seven" now out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 13:11
We are hoping to play in Los Angeles around the time of CalProg in October -- the plan is for Edensong to share the bill.
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 13:43
a long way from portland but I will try,    kenmar
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 14:47
We just uploaded some of the new album onto myspace.com/phideaux .  It's the same tracks we uploaded onto ReverbNation - except these aren't broken up.  The album is really a couple of long songs with a lot of transitions and it's been broken up for easy indexing... 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 15:21
I've moved this to "Prog News"

LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 09:03
Hey, for those who already have the CD/are Phideaux himself, are we still going to be able to see where the really long songs were broken up into smaller tracks? I mean, Love Theme and Waiting for the Axe to Fall, if I remember right. Does it say on the back of the CD case? Because, as clever as many of those song titles are, I prefer to have my epics and suites combined into a full piece rather than torn into little bits. But maybe they don't even make a cohesive whole? Some of my news is old news that was forgotten and changed around...
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 13:03
Hey Liq,

If you just listen to the album without looking at the titles, you'll hear them as continuous pieces and there won't be any way to miss where the "suites" begin and end.  Basically there are just two places in the album that have space.  In some cases, the songs are modular and can function as part of longer suites, as detailed on back cover -- there are 3 20 minute suites.

However, the reason I chose to break it up is because I, personally, wanted to be able to access certain cue points while listening.  And, since I make the albums mostly for myself (because heaven's knows I'm not making any money from doing it) I decided it would be fun to have track numbers where I could access certain sections that I really liked.

I realize it is pretty cheeky and maybe that is the perogative of the progressive art rocker, to be pretentious in the various ways...  :-)

BUT, please you tell me after hearing the album if they are cohesive wholes...
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 20:14
Got mine today.  Listened at work and so wasn't able to give it all my attention.  A lot to absorb that is for sure.  Will need a few more spins but first impression is good.  Booklet artwork is real nice.  Creepy but I like it.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 20:59
Found mine today in the mail when I came back from work, will listen to it later this week when I (hopefully) won't have so much on my mind, so I can enjoy it.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 21:29
I have a question.  I've used CDBaby a bit.  Looking for recommendations on where I should buy it from and a non-Phideaux CD (I already have them all) I should get with it?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 09:40
Phideaux - I've listened to the album.

All I have to say is:
Bravo! Clap

On a personal note - these are gloomy and bad days for me on all fronts (I won't go on, but things are pretty bad for me lately), and your music, with its power and beauty, has managed to comfort me and make this day at least, a better one. Not many albums have this effect on me when I'm in this state.

Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 10:15
Avestin, thanks for the kudos, I'm glad the album has been a cheer up.  And thanks to everyone who has taken the chance and supported us...

Slarti:  A) thanks for having all our albums!  Zoiks
B) have you tried Edensong or Discipline or Matthew Parmenter solo albums?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 15:02
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

Avestin, thanks for the kudos, I'm glad the album has been a cheer up.  And thanks to everyone who has taken the chance and supported us...

Slarti:  A) thanks for having all our albums!  Zoiks
B) have you tried Edensong or Discipline or Matthew Parmenter solo albums?

Not yet, so much music, so little time.  Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out. Big smile

Having raided your catalog, I get the feeling your tastes in music are pretty close to mine.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 07 2009 at 15:04
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 16:10
  My copy should be at home when I get off work today.  Looking forward to it.

I noticed that the album has no reviews yet.  I don't count reviews that are only stars and no written description.  Let's do something about that.  I don't like seeing that the album has five stars and 13 ratings (as of today),  stinks of fanboyism. 

I haven't ever written a review or given a star rating to an album on the site,  but if there are still no written reviews after I get about 10-15 spins in, I may be forced to.  
                                                                                                           kenmar
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 17:51
Please do write some reviews.  I noticed that two of the reviewers only have ever reviewed 2 albums, each on this years docket.  Additionally, some of the raters vote seemingly every album they've ever heard as 5 stars.  As much as I'd love our new album to be rated 5 stars, I'd rather see what people really think.  Luckily, nobody that I know has rated it yet...
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 17:59
Currently listening to the album again, and I have to say, Storia Senti is a wonderful piece of music. Sublime. Covers several emotional landscapes with its textures, catchy main melody, seamless binding of song segments, wonderful playing...

(hehe, I might even review the album if I keep this up).

To anyone who's hesitating on what album to buy currently, to anyone thinking, what new music should I give a listen to: GET THIS!!!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 18:05
On the last seconds of the album when the music's over, there's a male voice saying: "That rocked".
Who is it? Was it intentional to have it there?

Edited by avestin - July 07 2009 at 18:06
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 19:07
Have just downloaded from iTunes and first impressions are - a superb album. Well done once again, Phideaux! Clap

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 20:31
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

On the last seconds of the album when the music's over, there's a male voice saying: "That rocked".
Who is it? Was it intentional to have it there?

wow, i just wrote a whole longwinded post that has disappeared.  Suffice it to say that's Rich, our trickster drummer, caught on tape.  He always says something quippy after every take.  I believe this was him after Storia Senti.

natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 15:54
Just wanted to say that I got the album about a week ago from Greg Walker and I absolutely love it! It is hard for me to decide if I like this album or Doomsday Afternoon more, they are both excellent and masterpieces in my opinion.

I especially love Gift of the Flame- the beginning reminds me of Dark Side of the Moon era Pink Floyd with the wonderful sax. Very cool song with a great funky groove. I love Love Theme from Number Seven, such a cool proggy number, I really love the piano in it. I also think Storia Senti is beautiful, and the opening, Waiting for the Axe to Fall suite is excellent. All in all an incredible job that is in fierce competition for album of the year. Thanks, Phideaux for making such an incredible album! I also want to mention that I love the vocals, definitely a highlight of the album.

(I will write up an official review for progarchives soon so that there are actual reviews and not just ratings for Number Seven Wink)
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 16:49
It arrived this afternoon! I'm putting it through the spinner at the moment, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.

I am having trouble, though, feeling any empathy for shrews. A few weeks ago, a couple of them got into our basement (where I live currently) and were tussling it out at three in the morning. Very unpleasant, squeaky, and unexpected. So I'm going with the sea-bugs on this one, land-mammal though I may be. Hm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>