Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's new CD Discussion thread #1-Astra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:39
On their website, they said that the cover art was provided by Arik Roper.  Here is a link to his website.  http://arikroper.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:48

Also, I just found this review of this album on the website Metal Storm, which some might find of interest, although it kind of follows with has already been said about the retroness and psychedelicness of this album.  http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=6712

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 15:33
Bump.  Any other thoughts on this album?  I'm giving some thought to album number 2.  I'll be on vacation next week, so hopefully this album will get some more discussion and find some new fans while I am gone, and upon my return I'll have decided on the next album for discussion. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 00:53
I'm kind of disappointed that this thread didn't get much action, but I hope that at least a few of the posters did discover a new band that they found to enjoy. I am leaving on vacation for a week, so hopefully some more conversation occur regarding this new and interesting retro band.  When I get back I will try once again with thread #2.  Cheers.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 12:11
Thanks very much for the information Rushfan 4,I'm really happy to have bought this cd and I'm going to give it other listening sessions.I hope other people will be eager to discover it.I'm going to have a look at Arik Roper's website.Good holidays!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 10:18
Thank you.  I am giving this album yet another spin, and although it is not a masterpiece by any means, I do really like this album.   Has anyone else given it a listen and have any thoughts on it?
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 10:30
Much is said in the meanwhile - for me it's a great album as stated in my review - but I can't understand the decision to let it sound retro even for the audio quality ...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 16:36
I don't know that I have listened to it on high-quality speakers yet.  Mostly I have listened to it through my iPod dock speaker, and I haven't really noticed the poor audio quality that has so often been mentioned.  I really need to try listening to it on my stereo.  I guess the fact that the sound reminds me of 70's Black Sabbath may be what everyone is referring to. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:56
I'm not sure if there is any further interest in discussing this excellent album or not, but this thread is here in the event that anyone wishes to discuss it now or in the future.  In hopes of further adding to the discussion, I have written a review of my thoughts on this album.  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=237010  If anyone is interested please give it a read and let me know any comments that you might have, and while your at it there aren't that many reviews of this album yet, so give those a read too and see if this album sounds like it might appeal to you. 
Thank you,
Scott
Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 22:13
Just noticed this thread, and just got this album last week...wow. I gotta tell ya, I've only listened to this twice, but this is by far the most true to the 70's new album that I have ever heard. I saw a lot of complaints about the production value in the reviews section, but I found it utterly charming. I was instantly reminded of post Piper, pre-Meddle Pink Floyd...not really so much the sound, but the production. I really enjoyed the murky sound, it kind of gave this record a timeless feel. I found this band to be kind of 75% Floyd, 20% Sabbath, 5% Barclay James Harvest...if that makes any kind of sense. I'm currently embarking on my 3rd listen...

Short version...I am currently loving this!

EDIT: Thought I should clarify, by true to the 70's I am actually referring to 68-70...not later. I would put the production on par with Saucerful of Secrets...is this a bad thing? To some reviewers, yes...to me...oh gosh no! I am really blown away by this...

like I said, only a couple of listens in....

Edited by Nipsey88 - September 03 2009 at 22:19

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 22:39
Cool.  I'm glad to hear from another fan of the album.  What is funny from my perspective is that I've never been a real big fan of Pink Floyd's earlier albums, but I really enjoy Astra's album, which oddly enough is most similar to those earlier Pink Floyd albums. Sounds to me like I need to pull out those earlier Pink Floyd albums and give them another listen. LOL
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 04:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I should probably have mentioned that there is a lot of mellotron on this album, which might pique some people's interest.
isnt that beautiful Smile
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 04:29

Cool.   What is funny from my perspective is that I've never been a real big fan of Pink Floyd's earlier albums, but I really enjoy Astra's album, which oddly enough is most similar to those earlier Pink Floyd albums. Sounds to me like I need to
imo i think the biggest imfluence is early RPI especially the way that the key and mellotron sounds
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 04:32
btw i love the album  Thumbs Up
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 08:05
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Cool.   What is funny from my perspective is that I've never been a real big fan of Pink Floyd's earlier albums, but I really enjoy Astra's album, which oddly enough is most similar to those earlier Pink Floyd albums. Sounds to me like I need to
imo i think the biggest imfluence is early RPI especially the way that the key and mellotron sounds

That is interesting to hear.  I have barely scratched the surface with RPI yet so I would not have made that connection.  I did just download a 3 CD set from PFM a few days ago however and I am looking forward to listening to that.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 08:44
Only just noticed this thread, and wanted to nip to say what a great idea for a thread that it is Clap

I've not heard the album, although I do recall reading about Astra in Classic Rock Prog magazine. I've located it on Last.Fm - all except one track appears to be available for full track streaming.

I'm just getting started now, and - yes - I can immediately hear the Ozzy Osbourne vibe on the vocals, as well as a dreamy Floydian quality to the keyboards and guitars.

I'll certainly give this a better listen when I get home and connect up to my hifi (currently just streaming via my laptop speakers so only so-so sound quality Cry)  then come back and comment further.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 11:56
Great idea Scott in discussing new releases. Count me as fan of this one too. I really like hearing new bands who've taken up with the early seventies psychedelic sound like these guys have.I was reminded of Pink Floyd quite a bit but the abundance of mellotron really adds a twist to their sound. At almost 80 minutes it's like a double album really.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 18:06
Far out!!!  Thomas is another fan.  I just saw his review on the front page, and had to post a link to it for posterity's sake.  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=239259
Nice one Thomas!  err.. I mean groovy review dude!!!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 08:35
Just for you, Scott, I ordered this last night.

Big smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 09:05
I hope that you enjoy it Rob. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>