Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassical Music Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who is your favorite classical composer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [4.55%]
10 [15.15%]
17 [25.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.52%]
1 [1.52%]
3 [4.55%]
7 [10.61%]
6 [9.09%]
2 [3.03%]
1 [1.52%]
1 [1.52%]
1 [1.52%]
5 [7.58%]
1 [1.52%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.58%]
1 [1.52%]
1 [1.52%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music Composers
    Posted: April 19 2004 at 20:43

Anyone interested in classical music?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 21:35

Lots of heavyweights here, buliwyf, and a good topic for this site, as prog often looks as much (or more) to classical for inspiration, as it does to rock or jazz. Clap

I really like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Hayden, Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky, and wouldn't want to part with the beautiful and timeless music of any of these giants, but I gave my vote to Handel, because I really LOVE his Water Music. ( I somewhat prefer Baroque in general -- Bach is especially good!) Approve

It's perhaps my favourite -- I have a great version, on period instruments, by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert (they're terrific) on the Archiv Produktion label. It is warm-sounding, majestic, joyful, elegant and uplifting. I want the final, triumphant movement to be played at the end of my funeral -- hopefully many years from now! Handel's Messiah is also lovely!Thumbs Up

SmileThe first CD I ever bought, when the technology was new, was a digital recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Great music for playing Risk! Love those cannons! Go Wellington and Allied forces! Boo Napoleon! LOL

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
buliwyf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 21:41
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Lots of heavyweights here, buliwyf, and a good topic for this site, as prog often looks as much (or more) to classical for inspiration, as it does to rock or jazz. Clap

I really like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Hayden, Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky, and wouldn't want to part with the beautiful and timeless music of any of these giants, but I gave my vote to Handel, because I really LOVE his Water Music. ( I somewhat prefer Baroque in general -- Bach is especially good!) Approve

It's perhaps my favourite -- I have a great version, on period instruments, by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert (they're terrific) on the Archiv Produktion label. It is warm-sounding, majestic, joyful, elegant and uplifting. I want the final, triumphant movement to be played at the end of my funeral -- hopefully many years from now! Handel's Messiah is also lovely!Thumbs Up

SmileThe first CD I ever bought, when the technology was new, was a digital recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Great music for playing Risk! Love those cannons! Go Wellington and Allied forces! Boo Napoleon! LOL

You sound like you know quite a bit about classical music.  I have been addicted to it for about a year or so, but mostly I've been listening to the pre modern era composers.  Can you recommend me any good contemperary composers?  I am especially fond of impressionistic classical and the haunting works of messiaen. 

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 22:06

Sorry, Buliwyf, but my knowledge of this great music is really not that extensive. I have only around 40-50 classical/baroque/medieval cds, and most of what I know about these genres has been gleaned from the CD booklets, radio, and a smattering of reading here and there. (Beethoven and Mozart's histories are fascinating!) 

The "newer" stuff (Copeland, etc.) does not really interest me much (I stop around Tchaikovsky), but I have quite enjoyed hearing some Philip Glass -- and Steve Reich (?) -- over the years. Rather minimalist, but it grows on you.

Re the older stuff, I also quite enjoy Spanish composers like Rodrigo (sp?), especially when played upon the (classical) guitar. (Every Doors fan should know Rodrigo!)

You can't always rock out! Good music for mornings, reading, snoozing and... Embarrassedloving!

He chortled in his joy.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 00:33

Anton Dvorak.

Edited by Velvetclown
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 02:08
I'll give Stravinsky a vote for 'Firebird Suite'.I havn't got a clue really.Shouldn't Dvorak be in there somewhere? (again I havn't a clue!)
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 03:49

Except for some of the modern / neo-classical stuff that leaves me going:

<SMILIE>  HUH?  <SMILIE>

- the nice thing about classical music is that the crep has largely been filtered out and forgotten over the last 4 or 5 hundred years or so.

The composers that remain are remembered because they were the Robert Fripp and Herbie Hancock, the Keith Emerson and Miles Davis of their day.  If you can get your head around classical music in the first place, then you just have to find which ones you enjoy the most.  Much like whether Rush or Gentle Giant, or both, pleases your ears the most.

For me, though they were from different periods, I enjoy J.S. Bach and Tchaikovsky the most with the later getting my vote by a hair.  But there is at least one work by every composer mentioned that I've enjoyed.  Like the inestimable Mr. Rideout and his crack assault teams of ninja wolverines, I probably don't have 100 classical CD's in my collection (yet), but I like all that I have.

<SMILIE>

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 07:29
Shostakovich, Gustav Mahler and Carl Orff. On the list, Bach...
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 11:57
I really love classic music (I grew listening it, my father was a violin teacher), specially all baroque compositions. To choose between Bach (my vote) and Vivaldi is too hard, both and a lot of classic musicians in many styles are -evidently- a large source of inspiration for the most refined prog artists .
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 15:34

Loads of these composers are not "Classical", of course...

You've missed a GREAT cross-section of 20th Century composers, without whom prog may never have come to pass;

I refer, of course, to the likes of Stockhausen, whose almost unlistenable collages of tape are the foundation of modern music recording and sampling, Varese, who was a profound influence on Zappa, and Penderecki - one of my very favourite composers. If you can track down a copy of his "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima", then I strongly urge you do so.

You may need either a strong stomach, or a taste for the very darker side of music, as parts of it are truly horrifying. Or, if you've got no imagination, very waily and screechy. But that's a philistine's opinon

Edited by Certif1ed
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 15:53
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Loads of these composers are not "Classical", of course...

You've missed a GREAT cross-section of 20th Century composers, without whom prog may never have come to pass;

I refer, of course, to the likes of Stockhausen, whose almost unlistenable collages of tape are the foundation of modern music recording and sampling, Varese, who was a profound influence on Zappa, and Penderecki - one of my very favourite composers. If you can track down a copy of his "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima", then I strongly urge you do so.

You may need either a strong stomach, or a taste for the very darker side of music, as parts of it are truly horrifying. Or, if you've got no imagination, very waily and screechy. But that's a philistine's opinon

Thumbs UpThanks, Cert! I've often wondered about Stockhausen.

Smile Once, happening to turn on the radio, I heard a full symphony orchestra playing improvisational jazz. That was the weirdest (but most interesting!) stuff I had ever heard!

He chortled in his joy.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 15:56
I took Stravinsky. One of my favourite pieces is Sacre De Printemps. I also like the work of Ligeti although this not really Classical. I loved the way some of his music was used in the film 2001 A Space Odyssey. Concerto De Aranjuez by Rodrigo I absolutely love. Miles Davis, Jan Akkerman and other  modern musicians. have taken a stab at this glorious piece
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 16:00

and Penderecki - one of my very favourite composers. If you can track down a copy of his "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima", then I strongly urge you do so.

As a native from Poland, I know many of its composers. Penderecki is not my cup of tea : too much "contemporaneousity". But if you like his stuff, I can recommend Lutoslawski to you, he is in the same vein. I am much more keen on composers such as Paderewski, Gorecki, Kilar or Wieniawski.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 16:10
I've just bought something about: Gorecki,Shostakovich,Stravinsky,Janacek,Rachmaninov,Holst (preferred Fripp's classical composer)and Bach
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 16:28

Did anyone of you hear about the following artists :

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

CHARLES KOECHLIN

Various Artists - Lencses, Lajos - Koechlin: Oeuvres pour Hautbois, etc / Lajos Lencsés Cover Art

CLAUS OGERMANN

Two-concertos.JPG

GEORGE ENESCU

Foster, 1984 Erato "Ultima" 3984-24247-2

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
buliwyf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 02:04
looks like were gonna have to remove this poll.  apparently its not prog related and its not welcome here
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 03:53
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

and Penderecki - one of my very favourite composers. If you can track down a copy of his "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima", then I strongly urge you do so.

As a native from Poland, I know many of its composers. Penderecki is not my cup of tea : too much "contemporaneousity". But if you like his stuff, I can recommend Lutoslawski to you, he is in the same vein. I am much more keen on composers such as Paderewski, Gorecki, Kilar or Wieniawski.

I love the way Penderecki uses "clusters" and teeny tiny fractions of tones - really eerie! Much more imaginative than the boring composers we've had in Britain the last century or so.

Thanks for the tips on those other composers - I will check them out!

w00tenhoek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 15:02

Not here bro, not here.

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 16:29
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about classical music. But that'll change!!! For now, O only know a few MODERN classical artists, like Steve Martland, Philip Glass and the Balanescu Quartet...
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 17:09

Originally posted by w00tenhoek w00tenhoek wrote:

Not here bro, not here.

Fly Swatter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>