Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glass Hammer Live in Chattanooga,TN,USA,July 29
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlass Hammer Live in Chattanooga,TN,USA,July 29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Hammer Live in Chattanooga,TN,USA,July 29
    Posted: June 29 2009 at 14:45
Glass Hammer, America's premier symphonic Proggers will be giving a concert in their own hometown-Chattanooga,Tn. on Wed.,July29 at 8pm in preparation for their show at the 3RP festival in Pittsburgh in Aug. Go to  www.ticketbiscuit.com/rhythm-brews/EventPage.aspx?EID=39133&   for more info! See ya there!
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 20:27
I think that this year's 3RP might be as good as last year's (I was there).

Here's the link to this year's setlist. It looks pretty good.
http://3rprogfest.com/index.php?content=home

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 02:50
That's a pretty mean line-up, plenty of great bands to enjoy.  I'm sure everybody attending will have a great time of it.

I'd love to get the chance to see Glass Hammer live.  It's too far to travel for me though, and unfortunately I don't anticipate Schendel and co. playing in Europe anytime soon...
nmccrina View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 11:42
Yeah, I'm going! I'm leaving in about 2 1/2 hours. Unfortunately, I've only heard one of their songs (I'm listening to When We Were Young on PA right now, lol). It's good, though!  Thumbs Up
lolwut?
gmonte View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 19:44
Glass Hammer strikes me as a third-rate progressive rock band.  I have only heard one of their CD's (Shadowlands).  I have listened this many times and my reaction is that the only decent song is Run Lisette.

The problem with their music is that is it "thin."  Let's start with the lead singers vocals.  Yes, he hits the right notes but his voice has little personality. Think of the prog rock great singers and how their voices stands out: Genesis, Marillion, Yes, IQ, Flower Kings, etc.

Glass Hammer doesn't have a male vocal that stands out.

The instrumentation is pretty thin also. Maybe that was what the band was attempting to do but the music is just not "full" like most progressive rock. They have the standard keyboard, guitar, bass, drums but when you listen the music sounds thin and pretty empty. It could just be the mixing of the various instruments, I suppose, but usually the keyboard at least fills the empty space. Not so with Glass Hammer. It is hard to put into words but I think you will know when you listen to the music.

In the end they are just decent progressive rock. No where near the level of the top (Genesis & Marillion).  Not even near the second level of prog rock like IQ, Flower Kings, etc. They are third level at best.
 Post Reply Post Reply