Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Fall of Troy n such (Genre?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Fall of Troy n such (Genre?)
    Posted: July 07 2009 at 18:56
Just a general discussion topic--Should The Fall of Troy be listed as Heavy Prog? I understand that this subgenre of prog comes from heavy blues rock of the late 60's, not 21st century hardcore punk with a sweet tooth for very complex meters.

What should they go under? I'd say Crossover, but I'm sure their sound isn't that popular. I've told my friends to listen to them, even one of my most hardcore punk-appreciating friends has a hard time listening to them, as they are a little experimental.

They might qualify for the tech part of Tech/Extreme Prog Metal (just a thought).

I guess I can rightly say that several bands shouldn't belong in heavy prog, like TMV and Porcupine Tree. For discussion: is this as much a throw-the-prog-rock-band-here-because-we-can't-find-another-place-to-put-it as it is a subgenre? As I come to think of it, this is the only site/source that I have ever heard use the term 'Heavy Prog' for bands such as Uriah Heep and Rush.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 23:30
I'd say, rather, that a modification should be made to the heavy prog description to accommodate for the more modern bands. OR, better yet, a New Prog category could be made to include the rather large movement of 90s and 00s bands that take influence from alternative rock/punk/etc. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 03:39
Originally posted by eddz eddz wrote:

Just a general discussion topic--Should The Fall of Troy be listed as Heavy Prog? I understand that this subgenre of prog comes from heavy blues rock of the late 60's, not 21st century hardcore punk with a sweet tooth for very complex meters.

- that suggests Mathrock, which Fall of Troy are most assuredly not. 

What should they go under? I'd say Crossover, but I'm sure their sound isn't that popular. I've told my friends to listen to them, even one of my most hardcore punk-appreciating friends has a hard time listening to them, as they are a little experimental.

- well yeah, it's prog

They might qualify for the tech part of Tech/Extreme Prog Metal (just a thought).

- No I don't think so but I guess you could always ask one of the guys on the Progmetal team, we in HeavyProg would be happy to accomadate such a move if all agreed.

I guess I can rightly say that several bands shouldn't belong in heavy prog, like TMV and Porcupine Tree.

- Can't agree about TMV, especially with such an obvious Zeppelin influence.. PT perhaps, but Psych would be the only other good place which is where they were before we moved them based on the later material.

For discussion: is this as much a throw-the-prog-rock-band-here-because-we-can't-find-another-place-to-put-it as it is a subgenre? As I come to think of it, this is the only site/source that I have ever heard use the term 'Heavy Prog' for bands such as Uriah Heep and Rush.

- This is the only site that utilized the term 'heavy prog', gave it capital letters and some street cred, but the phrase has been used casually for years all over the place.

Edited by Atavachron - July 08 2009 at 03:41
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 08:24
There are a number of artists that sit between genres and forced catagorisation usually does them a grave injustice.

What about creating the genre 'Other' and bunging them in there? Any further discription could go with the bio or the individual reviews.

Would make for  a lot of interesting reading too.
eddz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 08:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by eddz eddz wrote:

- that suggests Mathrock, which Fall of Troy are most assuredly not. 

-No, but mathcore.

- well yeah, it's prog

- No I don't think so but I guess you could always ask one of the guys on the Progmetal team, we in HeavyProg would be happy to accomadate such a move if all agreed.

I guess I can rightly say that several bands shouldn't belong in heavy prog, like TMV and Porcupine Tree.

- Can't agree about TMV, especially with such an obvious Zeppelin influence.. PT perhaps, but Psych would be the only other good place which is where they were before we moved them based on the later material.

-I agree

For discussion: is this as much a throw-the-prog-rock-band-here-because-we-can't-find-another-place-to-put-it as it is a subgenre? As I come to think of it, this is the only site/source that I have ever heard use the term 'Heavy Prog' for bands such as Uriah Heep and Rush.

- This is the only site that utilized the term 'heavy prog', gave it capital letters and some street cred, but the phrase has been used casually for years all over the place.

Post Reply Post Reply