Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ Appreciation Thread
    Posted: July 10 2009 at 07:56
IQ and I go back a very long way.  I bought the cassette "Seven Stories Into Eight" directly from the band right back at the start of the 80s.  The rest, as they say, is history.

IQ have been one of my favourite bands for over a quarter of a century.  Other than a temporary dip during the hiatus of Peter Nicholls in the late 80s they have continued to produce quality albums whilst at the same time sticking to their prog roots.  Whilst described as neo, to me they play classic symphonic prog, although I appreciate that given their heritage as a standard bearer of the "progressive rock revival" I'm sure they will remain as neo prog.  I think they are worthy of their own appreciation thread.

My favourite albums by IQ are:-

1.  The Seventh House
2.  Subterranea (I'm really loving this at the moment)
3.  The Wake
4.  Tales From The Lush Attic
5.  Frequency

They have always been great live and I've seen them several times over the years.  I have a ticket to see them at The Met in Bury in October, so if anyone on PA will be there I'll see you then!! 

I'd be really interested to read anybody else's thoughts/trips down memory lane and I'll post again in more detail when I get the time.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 08:07
IQ have been and still is on of my fav. They have replaced in my heart Genesis first period better than anybody. And still, they have their own sound. They have one of the finest singer and most important, a great talent to create some great songs. Only one average cd, "nomanzo", the rest is excellent! Clap
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 08:17
My Top 5 IQ albums are:-

1.  Dark Matter
2.  Ever
3.  The Wake
4.  Subterranea 
5.  Tales from the Lush Attic

I'm yet to purchase Frequency, but I will soon...

My first IQ purchase was Tales from the Lush Attic, in the early 90s, the Cd with the dark red frame (not the blue one). I was impressed right away, although I didn't appreciate properly until I got their then recent albums Ever and Subterranea, plus the Nine in a Pond demo CD. Once I got a wider picture of what the band was all about, I was an IQ-head in no minute.

Kind regards.

Edited by Cesar Inca - July 10 2009 at 08:20
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 09:00
IQ is one of my favourite Prog bands. it's funny thing i ve been listening IQ whole week, and suddenly i see IQ thread Big smile . my all times fave album is Dark Matter , You Never Will is one of the best songs i've ever heard, i think i have heard it 10000 times ..Sacred Sound,  Harvest Of Souls epic is just briliant . then Seventh House is pure beauty , The Wrong Side Of Weird The is absolutely stunning .   Ever is also superb album .. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 09:14
I am relatively an IQ newbie.  I was an avid collector of all albums released on the InsideOut Music label, and my first exposure to IQ was either in 2004 or 2005 with the release of Dark Matter.  I have since picked up all of their studio albums, including Frequency which I have listened to twice this week.  I think that they are an excellent band and their music definitely hits the bullseye when it comes to the type of music that I like.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:18
They introduced me to the whole Neo-prog genre in general. Discovering them opened a whole can of worms (Marillion, Pendragon, Pallas, etc., etc.)

While I find them to be more symphonic than other neo prog bands, they are my favorite in the genre. Dark Matter is (currently) my favorite IQ album. Yesterday my favorite was Tales From the Lush Attic, so don't expect it to be the same tomorrow.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Old Road View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:43
I think with Dark Matter and Frequency, they've moved almost completely away from neo-prog into a more symphonic style. It suits them well, these are two strong albums.

I dug Nomzamo and Ever out the other day and was amazed at how dated they sounded (those 80's and early 90's production styles are not to my taste).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:58
I've yet to hear Frequency, but it's on my 'to get' list..

I've a lot of time for IQ. They have produced some excellent albums. I dont think they put a foot wrong in the 90's, and my fave IQ album is 'Ever'
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by The Old Road The Old Road wrote:

I think with Dark Matter and Frequency, they've moved almost completely away from neo-prog into a more symphonic style. It suits them well, these are two strong albums.

I dug Nomzamo and Ever out the other day and was amazed at how dated they sounded (those 80's and early 90's production styles are not to my taste).

Nomzamo sounds much more dated than Ever. Nothing dates like terrible pop music from that era.Wink

Wizbat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 09:16
IQ used to be managed by the owner of a studio where I was working as an engineer back in the late eighties and I,m sure that somewhere I still have some IQ demos on cassette and promo 7" records floating about as I,m a bit of a hoarder.
I always liked their stuff a great deal.
My Band. www.limeshark.com

BASS It is big and it is clever
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 13:46
Subterranea is still their  best albums [i  didnt hear Frequency,yet but im going to get it in the next couple of weeks  ] 
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 14:01
Nice thread broClap!  I can certainly vouch for Roj's early passion for the band, I remember him going to see them at The Gallery in Manchester in their early days and exchanging letters with Peter Nicholls!  Anyway here's my top 5 IQ albums:-

1. The Seventh House
2. The Wake
3. Tales From The Lush Attic
4. Frequency
5. Dark Matter

The Seventh House is pure class, one of the best albums I've ever heard by anyone.  I've only heard Frequency once as yet but was very impressed on first listen.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 04:14
I've got "Dark Matter" just because of the cover art and 24-min long closing track, and for that time I didn't know they're Neo-Prog pioneers along with my beloved (even then) MARILLION. I was completely blown away, it had become my fave album for few months, and it's still my fave IQ album. Then I got first two albums on CDs and "The Seventh House" as digital download, later was "Subterranea", the rest is history, as they say. My top would look like this:

1. 2004
2. 1985
3. 2000
4. 1997/2009
5. 1983/1993
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 10:20
I like IQ too Smile

I guess I'm more of a fan of their newer, more symphonic, direction because I absolutely adore Dark Matter and Frequency and have a harder time getting into their older stuff. To be honest, though, the only other IQ album I've really listened to is Subterranea and I've only listened to it once, so I think I need to give their older stuff more of a chance.
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:30
That was some initiative Roj to start this thread. I don't expect it to become as long as TFK's though but who knows these words will be punished. And don't be mad if I'm not hanging out here as often as on our "own" thread. I hope we haven't lost you on TFK now that you have your thread Unhappy.

I'm not a big IQ fan even though I'm PA's biggest neo fan. Probably they are too intelligent for me Big smile.
But I will give my list of their albums in order of my preference:

1. Seventh House   4,25*
2. Subterrenea (like your top two, but the rest is totally different)   4,1*
3. Ever  3,6*
4. J'ai Polette d'Arnu  3,5*
5. Tales from the Lush Attic  3,5*
6. Are you sitting comfortably ?  3,25*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2,5*

And I still have to explore Frequency (my supplier did the same thing here as yours did with The Flower King: they didn't have it at the right time so I will have to wait a while) But I guess it will be on 3rd or 4th place estimated from what I've heard and read.

Can you give your list of all these albums (right now I only know your top 5) Roj ?

A day without prog is a wasted day
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:55
Dark Matter and Frequency have, undoubtedly, propelled this great band into greater heights, and I have enjoyed their music since the early days. I will never tire of hearing Peter Nicholls' voice. I imagine that they will continue making great music for many years to come, and I look forward to a very long thread.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 13:40
This is great thread as I have been getting back into IQ recently having fallen in love with Frequency.  Motivated by their new album I have revisited some of their previous stuff and currently like them in this order.
1. Frequency  4.32
2. The Seventh House  4.24
3. Subterranea 4.20
4. Dark Matter  3.80
5. The Wake  3.50
intensedaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 14:11
Frequency is a superb album , right up there with their best.

Followed by Dark Matter , The Seventh House and Ever

I also enjoyed the live DVD that came with Frequency and have to say Peter Nicholls vocals are faultless, you can forgive any singer a few bum notes in the excitement of playing live but this guy is amazing, as i said , faultless
Find a job you love and never work another day in your life
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 13:07
I watched the "Live Forever" DVD yesterday. I must say that they are great musicians, but I think they do lack orginality. Too much late 70's Genesis and Marillion. And the vocals is not my cup of tea. Stil a band that is good on what their are doing in my opinion.

Edited by Rottenhat - July 15 2009 at 22:06
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 16:01
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

That was some initiative Roj to start this thread. I don't expect it to become as long as TFK's though but who knows these words will be punished. And don't be mad if I'm not hanging out here as often as on our "own" thread. I hope we haven't lost you on TFK now that you have your thread Unhappy.

I'm not a big IQ fan even though I'm PA's biggest neo fan. Probably they are too intelligent for me Big smile.
But I will give my list of their albums in order of my preference:

1. Seventh House   4,25*
2. Subterrenea (like your top two, but the rest is totally different)   4,1*
3. Ever  3,6*
4. J'ai Polette d'Arnu  3,5*
5. Tales from the Lush Attic  3,5*
6. Are you sitting comfortably ?  3,25*
7. Dark Matter  3,2*
8. Nomzamo 2,9*
9. The Wake 2,5*

And I still have to explore Frequency (my supplier did the same thing here as yours did with The Flower King: they didn't have it at the right time so I will have to wait a while) But I guess it will be on 3rd or 4th place estimated from what I've heard and read.

Can you give your list of all these albums (right now I only know your top 5) Roj ?

You seriously put Are You Sitting Comfortably above Dark Matter?!?!Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>