Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Anybody actually spin SEVEN STORIES INTO EIGHT??

A really wonderful side of the band If I may say.
It's quite psychedelic.

For Christ sake is a great instrumental.

And BARBELL IS IN makes laugh!!
IQ reggae. Lol

certainly and also The Lost Attic has some good stuff as wellThumbs Up
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 16:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's quite psychedelic.

IQ reggae. Lol

Barbell Is in's guitar solo is one of my favorite solos of all time Big smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's quite psychedelic.

IQ reggae. Lol

Barbell Is in's guitar solo is one of my favorite solos of all time Big smile
are well NO...LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 02:34
are you going to the warm up show on good Friday?

Music Is Live

<
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 20:24
If I lived in the UK I would!!! What an amazing way to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. Lol I wonder if they will play "for Christ's sake"

Anyhow. IQ are STILL a major part of my listening experiences these days.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:30
Relative newbie here (to the forum, not to IQTongue)

My favourite band.  Amazingly consistent: I rank the Menel albums right up there with the rest, certainly helped by the fact that they are where I came in with the bandWink But they are real gems, and include some of their finest tracks - Human Nature, Common Ground (beautiful, just beautiful), Wurensch, War Heroes, Nothing At All....

Went to see them for the first time at The Marquee on the night they announced that Menel and Tim Esau were leaving in 1989 Cry  At this point I knew nothing of the Nicholls era 1 or the first 2 albums, and with there being no internet I assumed they had disappeared, until seeing an advert in The Independent for Subterranea.  I got the album but was unimpressed for a long time; didn't like the "new" vocalist and my musical brain wasn't working properly, due to several years as a student where I had ignored proper music and listened to Oasis, etcEmbarrassed

Eventually (after several years, not of constantly playing mind) it clicked and I discovered the older albums and some more that had appeared.  This really co-incided with my newly-discovered appreciation for prog, which was inspired by getting The Platinum Collection by Genesis in about 2002.  Suddenly, I realised what music I really liked and the Internet did the restSmile

The release of Frequency really cemented the band's position for me.  A stunning album.  Been to see them 3 times since then, including the Road Of Bones launch gig last year.  Wish I could see them more, but in South Wales we don't get many of the top prog acts visiting....

So, yeah, my favourite band.  Love all their albums.  Can't really pick a favourite.  The Road Of Bones is amazing, and I feel that the quality of the 2nd disc is as high as the first.

Top tracks?  The Last Human Gateway, Headlong, Common Ground, Wurensch, Further Away, Sleepless Incidental, It All Stops Here, The Wrong Side Of Weird, Sacred Sound, Closer, Constellations.  There, how's that for a setlist based on one song from each studio albumClapTongueLOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 01:34
^ I don't know if you have Menel's solo album but it's very good. Pure pop/rock (no prog!) but he has a way with words. My favourite song from Are You Sitting Comfortably is probably Nothing At All although I like everything on that album including even 'Melanie' (Sold On You)Tongue . It's in that 80's pop/prog vogue that It Bites were so good at (possibly an influence?). Common Ground is a great track although my choice would be Human Nature from Nomzamo.
Also well done for picking a track from Seven Stories Into 98 on your set list. OK it was an official release but is oft overlooked.Smile
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 07:54
I've never heard the Menel album but I'm not really a fan of the Menel IQ albums.  In fact I only have them on vinyl and have never bothered buying cd copies.

I remember being so disillusioned when Nicholls left and I heard the "new" stuff.  It acually turned me off the band for a few years.

The Road of Bones is almost a year old now, how time flies......
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 21:21
Whilst on the subject of Menel-era IQ...this has recently been uploaded to Youtube:

It's filmed from on the stage, and the camera work is a bit jumpy in places (the footage - including sound - breaks up completely for several seconds a couple of times midway through)...but wow! - this is a real gem of a find by the guy who actually stumbled upon the footage...on a VHS tape in his attic!! Star

Edit: Whatever peoples' opinion regarding Paul's contribution to the band may be - he certainly puts his all into this particular performance...wish I'd got his energy!! LOL

Edited by yam yam - April 30 2015 at 21:38
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:36
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I've never heard the Menel album but I'm not really a fan of the Menel IQ albums.  In fact I only have them on vinyl and have never bothered buying cd copies.

I remember being so disillusioned when Nicholls left and I heard the "new" stuff.  It acually turned me off the band for a few years.

The Road of Bones is almost a year old now, how time flies......

I had exactly the same feelings and would still argue that Nomzamo is their weakest album. Signing to a major label and trying to take on the major 'arena bands' of the time (Dire Straits , Simple Minds etc) was not what IQ was about. It set the band back years but to be fair to Menel none of this was his fault. It was either him or nothing. Apparently no one else turned up for the audition to replace Pete!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:36
Been reading back through this thread and it's great to see so much love for this wonderful bandClap

Haven't seen any mention of Mike Holmes side project, The Lens.  They pre-ceded IQ in fact, eventually released an album (A Word In Your Eye) back in 2001, then a couple of years ago we got Regeneration, which is a quite stunning instrumental album played almost entirely by MH (well, keys and guitar anyway!).  One of my favourite albums, and for anyone who loves the stuff on TROB CD2, you should REALLY get this....

Thumbs Up

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:32
^ thanks for the recommendation . I love Mike Holmes , he is 'Mr IQ' so to speak but I've never got as far as checking out The Lens. Will sort that!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 03:12
I am going to say something here that will annoy many folks here at P.A.
I find Road Of Bones to be slightly below the likes of Ever and Lush Attic, in the whole scheme of things. It is excellent, no doubt, but it seems to be missing that 'something' I seek within their music.......
...........or, am I missing something ???
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I find Road Of Bones to be slightly below the likes of Ever and Lush Attic, in the whole scheme of things. It is excellent, no doubt, but it seems to be missing that 'something' I seek within their music.......

Hi Tom,

I felt the same way about RoB at first, particularly the first disc, but it's been a slow-burner and I'm really starting to get into it now. And now that I've seen it live, I'm really, really getting more into it, but I admit it's taken me a lot longer than it usually does with IQ.

But if you have the two disc version, try listening from "Constellations" to the end. So you get a mini-album of Constellations/Fall and Rise/10 Million Demons/Hardcore. This to me, has more of the classic IQ kind of sound mixed with some new areas they haven't done before too. I listened to these four tracks for months, when the other songs didn't immediately grab me as much. 10 Million Demons is a silly track of course, but reminds me of their fun tunes that you don't expect like "Barbell is in" which I actually love. (and it seems some others here really like that one too)

These days I'm listening to disc one, and it starts to work for me really well at this point but it has taken a long time as I say and will probably never be my favourite, but who knows? Time can do strange things--plenty of my favourite albums are ones that I wasn't sure about at first--but I'm certainly "getting it" at this point and it feels very good.  I have to say I am really happy with the lineup and how the guys are playing--some of the best Cook/Esau work ever and Neil is playing up a storm/creating some very cool atmospheres. Pete/Mike great as always, although I'd love more leads from Mike on the next one.

Edited by january4mn - May 02 2015 at 08:10
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:17
Yes - I have the 2LP release. I did find the 2nd record stronger than the album proper. And I too, am glad to see Esau back in the band. His playing is impeccable - but I still insist that my favourite work of his is found on Lush Attic. I do agree, I definitely have to spin this some more ; I guess the reason I 'voiced' my opinion is because the amount of 5 star ratings awarded to it, and I felt a little disappointed when I spun it the first time.
Perhaps it's a 'denser' work, and takes time to sink in (like Subterranea was for me), but Ever was love at first listen.
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:50
Hi Tom,

I agree about Subterranea--that one took me a long while to love too, although it is now probably my current favourite IQ album!? Maybe it's a double album thing?

As far as all the five star reviews go with The Road of Bones, I think (if i ever actually did any reviews or ratings!?) that I'd have given it 4 stars right away last year, but these days I would give it a 5, so it definitely improved over time for me.

But, it does strike me as odd that it has such a higher rating over all than the earlier IQ albums. I'd like to see those older ones get more of the love they deserve on this site (although the ratings are mostly really respectable, but then again what are ratings when personally, I LOVE those albums?

But the reason ROB has such a higher ratings than earlier IQ may have to do with the fact that the website has grown in numbers over the years. So, the highest ratings will be either newer albums of the last few years or the big classic albums like Foxtrot etc. Just an idea.

Anyway, glad you're willing to give The Road of Bones more of a chance--there is a lot of great stuff on there, but as you say a "denser" work which can take some time. BTW, you must have loved the remix of "Lush Attic"! I still like to put on the original too sometimes, but it's one of the best remix albums I ever heard--excellent to hear another version of "Wintertell" on there too.

Edited by january4mn - May 02 2015 at 12:40
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:26
just packed the holiday albums of IQ RTB/SH/SUB...Wink

Music Is Live

<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by january4mn january4mn wrote:

Hi Tom,

I agree about Subterranea--that one took me a long while to love too, although it is now probably my current favourite IQ album!? Maybe it's a double album thing?

As far as all the five star reviews go with The Road of Bones, I think (if i ever actually did any reviews or ratings!?) that I'd have given it 4 stars right away last year, but these days I would give it a 5, so it definitely improved over time for me.

But, it does strike me as odd that it has such a higher rating over all than the earlier IQ albums. I'd like to see those older ones get more of the love they deserve on this site (although the ratings are mostly really respectable, but then again what are ratings when personally, I LOVE those albums?

But the reason ROB has such a higher ratings than earlier IQ may have to do with the fact that the website has grown in numbers over the years. So, the highest ratings will be either newer albums of the last few years or the big classic albums like Foxtrot etc. Just an idea.

Anyway, glad you're willing to give The Road of Bones more of a chance--there is a lot of great stuff on there, but as you say a "denser" work which can take some time. BTW, you must have loved the remix of "Lush Attic"! I still like to put on the original too sometimes, but it's one of the best remix albums I ever heard--excellent to hear another version of "Wintertell" on there too.

Sheesus, it's a triple vinyl - I don't have many of those so I forgot - probably why I don't spin it often as I should.
No remix, I have the original LP, a numbered copy with a light blue border around the b&w design. The Enemy Smacks is my fave track. I am still missing a few of their albums.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 02 2015 at 15:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 05:27
90's onward, for me its every other album that hits the spot

Ever
The Seventh House
Frequency

all those I love whereas the others I have reservations about. I suppose it will be no surprise to learn that I am not a great fan of 'doubles'Tongue

(ignoring Seven Stories Into 98 which I like a lot but was a re-recording of old material)

I'm sure there are plenty that would pick the other ones!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I feel the same way.....it hasn't grabbed me as well as Frequency and Dark Matter....which are probably my personal favorites . I like older IQ but I usually don't listen to anything earlier than Ever these days.
To me it seems like on Bones they are 'rewriting'/'restructuring'  the songs from Frequency and Matter but they aren't as appealing to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>