Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 14:41
Frequency is a very powerfull album due in part to Andy Edwards on the drums. Dark Matter for me showed IQ had stalled and were in need of some change and the two new members made a big difference. It also allowed Orford to concentrate on his solo music which resulted in the equally as good The Old Road. I would be hard pressed to say which is the best although if you wrestled me to the ground and put me in an arm lock and demanded an answer then it would be ...a broken armTongue

Edited by richardh - July 28 2012 at 14:42
Molitro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 16:49
Well... Thanks for letting me find out about these guys :P
I hadn't heard the name IQ until a couple days ago, and I have listened already to... I think 5 seperate albums. I'm liking them quite a friggin' lot.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 20:16
I'm really enjoying Subterranea right now. Next to The Wake, it's probably my favorite IQ recording so far.

IQ albums I own:

Tales From The Lush Attic
The Wake (25th Anniversary edition -- I'm trying to hunt down an original as I want one these too Cool)
Are You Sitting Comfortably? (I hate this album though Falling Apart At The Seams is good)
Ever
Subterranea
The Seventh House
Dark Matter
Frequency

IQ albums I haven't heard yet:

Dark Matter
Frequency

I bought The Wake In Concert as well, but haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to hearing The Wake in its entirety all of these years later. This is a CD/DVD set, so it'll great to see IQ live.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 01:14
^The Wake live is superb.

The other 3 albums you havn't got are excellent although Dark Matter as I said before is nothing partiucular new. You can have fun though comparing Harvest Of Souls to Suppers ReadyWink

There are two other official studio releases.
Seven Stories Into Ninety Eight was a rerecording of their original debut album that only previously available on cassette. Good luck on tracking that down as its very hard to find now
The Lost Attic has several previously unreleased tracks including the BBC session version of Widows Peak.
Both albums are well worth having

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^The Wake live is superb.

The other 3 albums you havn't got are excellent although Dark Matter as I said before is nothing partiucular new. You can have fun though comparing Harvest Of Souls to Suppers ReadyWink

There are two other official studio releases.
Seven Stories Into Ninety Eight was a rerecording of their original debut album that only previously available on cassette. Good luck on tracking that down as its very hard to find now
The Lost Attic has several previously unreleased tracks including the BBC session version of Widows Peak.
Both albums are well worth having

No, the three albums I listed (Dark Matter, Frequency, Tales From The Lush Attic) are the ones I own but I haven't heard yet, however, I listened to Dark Matter last night and enjoyed it. Now, I have Tales From The Lost Attic and Frequency to listen to. I'm still most impressed with Subterranea and The Wake right now. 

Edited by Mirror Image - July 31 2012 at 09:47
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Dark Matter
Frequency
Absolutely in their top 5. You will enjoy them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 20:18
Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Dark Matter
Frequency
Absolutely in their top 5. You will enjoy them.

Dark Matter was quite good. I'll probably get to Frequency tonight at some point.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 22:29
I finished with Frequency and I like this album a lot. I'm really interested in hearing the next album. Thankfully, IQ always takes their time with their recordings and we can probably expect another great one.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 01:28
^ You should also try Martin Orford's solo albums
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 06:45

Sorry - Just couldn't resist putting a couple of tracks up here...The whole album is superb, and so is his first one, 'Classical Music and Popular Songs'.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 13:04
The album More Than Meets The Eye from "cousin band" Jadis (Orford and Jowitt play in it) is also very recommendable for anyone who likes IQ.

More guitar-oriented and less dark than IQ, very melodic but more than prog enough to please most of us. The melodies and harmonies are better than the average IQ IMO, although it's not fair to compare 1 album with the complete output from another band.
IQ output is much more consistently good while the other Jadis albums are much weaker, but MTMTE is excellent Neo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 19:24
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Sorry - Just couldn't resist putting a couple of tracks up here...The whole album is superb, and so is his first one, 'Classical Music and Popular Songs'.

Thanks for posting this. I'll give them a listen ASAP.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 19:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The album More Than Meets The Eye from "cousin band" Jadis (Orford and Jowitt play in it) is also very recommendable for anyone who likes IQ.

More guitar-oriented and less dark than IQ, very melodic but more than prog enough to please most of us. The melodies and harmonies are better than the average IQ IMO, although it's not fair to compare 1 album with the complete output from another band.
IQ output is much more consistently good while the other Jadis albums are much weaker, but MTMTE is excellent Neo.

Yeah, I've definitely heard of Jadis, but I wasn't sure how their music was compared to the bigger Neo bands IQ, Marillion, and Pendragon. I'll checkout Jadis' More Than Meets The Eye. Thanks for the suggestion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 00:52
^ their albums are quite cheap if you download them from a very well known online retail site

I own the albums Fanatic and Alive Outside and have no desire to explore much further tbh.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:50
I`m new to this band... IQ but thanks to M27Brney on the TFK thread. I`m hooked. my order from the IQ on line store as a arrived. 9cd`s by IQ. Tales/Wake/Ever/Subterranea / The Seventh House/ Dark Matter/Nomzaao/The Wake Live/ Are You Sitting Comfortably?. as well I`ve pre-ordered the new album The Road Of Bones. due in 05/14... still I need to find the time to sit and listen to the 9cd`s how    is that.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 13:01
I hope this is true but I just read that Paul Cook is back on drums for the new 2014 album. That dude drives IQ...can't way for The Road to BonesBig smile!
Deafmoon
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 13:08
[QUOTE=richardh]Frequency is a very powerfull album due in part to Andy Edwards on the drums. Dark Matter for me showed IQ had stalled and were in need of some change and the two new members made a big difference. It also allowed Orford to concentrate on his solo music which resulted in the equally as good The Old Road. I would be hard pressed to say which is the best although if you wrestled me to the ground and put me in an arm lock and demanded an answer then it would be ...a broken arm

I am hearing Paul Cook is back on drums for the new album,.
In my humble opinion he plays circles around Andy Edwards, but that's just my opinion. We are all free to like who we like. 
Deafmoon
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 13:45
Andy Edwards took time off from IQ at the end of 2008 in order to concentrate on his family and his new job in the Music Facility at Kidderminster College. Paul Cook returned to stand in on for Andy on a temporary basis at first, but in November 2009 it was announced that his position in the band had been made permanent again. So yeah - Cookie has been back drumming with IQ for a little over 5 years now. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 08:42
An album has already been released with Paul Cook back on drums and that is The Wake Live. Its a brilliant live reproduction of the classic , so good that I can't decide which I prefer - both get 5 stars anyway.

geekfreak - you have just bought one of the best prog collections you could ever hope for. Not one bad album in that lot.Thumbs Up
(IQ don't make bad albumsBig smile)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 09:08
IQ why did it take me so long to find this amazing band.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>