FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA magical moment:: VdGG Outdoors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A magical moment:: VdGG Outdoors
    Posted: July 14 2009 at 16:01
33 years later, they were back in Canada, playing outdoors on a exceptionnal clear and warm summer night ... outside, the clarity of sounds and effects was just exceptionnal !

A huge THANK YOU to Van Der Graaf Generator for their performance in Quebec City last friday (july 10). I was a bit resistant to attend in absence of "Mr. Saxon"... but it turned to be a magical moment for many of us (especially for older fans when they played "Lemmings" and "Man-Erg"). Their "closing" with Man-Erg was something just amazing !...particularly played outdoors (purity of sounds)... Wow ! One of the top 3 shows I have ever seen in life ! ... And I have seen more than an hundred ...The "magic connexion" is still there between them.

Special congratulations to Hugh Banton for the way he was able to create "depth" to the show in absence of the " Sax ". .. really nice work and instruments set up he has created to achieve that. Man that was amazing...just like the original on Pawn Hearts ... 39 years later !

My guest is nearly half of the spectators knew VDGG just by name, but the comments I have heard after their performance demonstrates their professionalism and the recognition of their musician skills. 

My only regret is that my 21 years old son was not able to there with me that night... he has become such a big fan of VDGG's music and some other "obscure good music "... this is the sign of real good music when the fan base is still turning !

Excellent job ! 

Thank you for this precious gift ! 

Edited by Robert Beriau - July 15 2009 at 16:51
Robert Beriau View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 16:08
And here a link to some pictures of that show

Image from Francois Angers

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 16:45
[QUOTE=Robert Beriau]
33 years later, they were back in Canada, playing outdoors on a exceptionnal clear and warm summer night ... outside, the clarity of sounds and effects was just exceptionnal !

A huge THANK YOU to Van Der Graaf Generator for their performance in Quebec City last friday (july 10). I was a bit resistant to attend in absence of "Mr. Saxon"... but it turned to be a magical moment for many of us (especially for older fans when they played "Lemmings" and "Man-Erg"). Their "closing" with Man-Erg was something just amazing !...especially played outdoors (purity of sounds)... Wow ! One of the top 3 shows I have ever seen in life ! ... And I have seen more than an hundred ...The "magic connexion" is still there between them.

A special congratulations to Hugh Banton for the way he was able to create "depth" to the show in absence of the " Sax ". .. really nice work and instruments set up he has created to achieve that. Man that was amazing just...like the original on Pawn Hearts ... 39 years later !

My guest is nearly half of the spectators knew VDGG just by name, but the comments I have heard after their performance demonstrates their professionalism and the recognition their musician skills. 

My only regret is that my 21 years old son was not able to there with me that night... he has become such a big fan of VDGG's music and some other "obscure good music "... this is the sign of real good music when the fan base is still turning !

Excellent job ! 

Thank you for this precious gift ! 

Coming from a musician, that says it all! Just watching their DVD, amaze me, imagine be at the concert!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 11:58
oh God, saw VDGG only three times and they always amaze me - and in open air, splendid
I envy you
yet you still have time!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 15:24
Hi,

I think I would be a happy and honored man in the rest of my life if I could see Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Klaus Schulze and of course Peter Hammill ... prbably better with VDGG ... but I'm fine just seeing a show and having a chance to wave hello.

There are some other fine poets out there, and I have to admit that I would love to sit through a Roy Harper hour, and if he didn't rant for 30 minutes on the guitar I probably would be disappointed ... just to give you an idea of the appreciation for some of these folks and their work.
 Post Reply Post Reply