Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 05:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The Sourbutts surname evolved from any of several places so named in Northern England.  The place name comes from the Old Norse 'saurr,' meaning 'ground,' and the Old English 'byr,' meaning farm.

Maybe. It would be unusual to mix Old Norse and Old English in a place name, whereas the Old Norse for "short" is 'butr' so 'saurrbutr' could mean short-ground rather than ground-farm

This stacks up with other meanings of 'butt' relating to short pieces of abutting land such as in the medieval strip-farming field system and areas of land designated for compulsory archery practice (a butt is a medieval term for an archery target - from where we get the idiom 'butt of a joke'). 

Alternatively, 'butt' also means barrel so it could also refer to sour beer or wine.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 05:13
The Sourbutts surname evolved from any of several places so named in Northern England.  The place name comes from the Old Norse 'saurr,' meaning 'ground,' and the Old English 'byr,' meaning farm.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2016 at 23:13
LOL
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2016 at 23:03
Just watched English Gardner run.  To my disappointment she is neither.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 05:46
Gave the shed some TCL over the weekend - removing assorted children's toys, bit of old barbecue, tins of paint, flowerpots etc. Slapped a bit of paint on the hinges.

If there are any filmmakers out there looking for somewhere to file Arachnophobia 2, I have the place for you. I can save you millions on building a set.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 18:06
Kraftwerk performing Trans-Europe Distress.

Edited by Dean - August 12 2016 at 18:08
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 14:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

We (and by that I fear I mean "I") are in the process of refitting our kitchen, which hasn't received any attentions in the 13 years we've lived here (and not a great deal in the 100 years since the house was built by the look of it). Before I can spend hard-earned on buying all the units, worktops, lighting, flooring and brand new appliances and then set about doing all the fitting I'm legally capable of (and getting various clumsy and expensive 'professionals' in for all the bits I'm not), Debs wanted the 'cupboard-under-the-stairs' opening up so this dead-space can become a narrow little utility room/alcove. So that duly done, and the washing machine now manoeuvred out of the kitchen and into this utility-alcove, I set off to the various DIY emporiums of Winchester looking for a 1.5m length of cheap worktop that would act as a temporary work-surface that we could use while waiting for the proper solid oak worktop to be designed, cut and fitted sometime in the (near) future. Alas such things don't exist and the prospect of getting a 3m length of laminated chipboard home in my car was a non-starter, even with the roof down. So on returning home I ventured into the various sheds looking for suitable pieces of timber to bodge (I come from a long line of Essex bodgers) a stop-gap worktop out of...

Now, some may recall that last year I replaced my dilapidated potting-shed as it had taken on a rhomboidal shape such that its door would no longer close. The only thing salvageable was the aforementioned door and for the past sixteen months that has been gathering dust and cobwebs in the shed that replaced it. A quick measure of this identified it as an ideal candidate so I set about with saw, drill, hammer and sandpaper to fashion it into the correct shape to fit the hole. Several coats of matt varnish later, ta dah!

Obviously the groove of the tongue'n'groove door makes it unsuitable as an actual work-surface/counter-top, but as an up-cycled deep shelf for all my baking toys it's rather spiffing I think (especially against the accidentally shabby-chic wall, which will be re-plastered and re-tiled when the kitchen is refitted):

Nice straight back wall, unless you scribed that board to fit so well. Straight walls always make things easier when it comes to kitchen remodels.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 05:09
Nice job Dean. Now I should really do something with all those bits of wood I've got in the garage (the ones I kept because "they might come in useful one day").
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 02:11
We (and by that I fear I mean "I") are in the process of refitting our kitchen, which hasn't received any attentions in the 13 years we've lived here (and not a great deal in the 100 years since the house was built by the look of it). Before I can spend hard-earned on buying all the units, worktops, lighting, flooring and brand new appliances and then set about doing all the fitting I'm legally capable of (and getting various clumsy and expensive 'professionals' in for all the bits I'm not), Debs wanted the 'cupboard-under-the-stairs' opening up so this dead-space can become a narrow little utility room/alcove. So that duly done, and the washing machine now manoeuvred out of the kitchen and into this utility-alcove, I set off to the various DIY emporiums of Winchester looking for a 1.5m length of cheap worktop that would act as a temporary work-surface that we could use while waiting for the proper solid oak worktop to be designed, cut and fitted sometime in the (near) future. Alas such things don't exist and the prospect of getting a 3m length of laminated chipboard home in my car was a non-starter, even with the roof down. So on returning home I ventured into the various sheds looking for suitable pieces of timber to bodge (I come from a long line of Essex bodgers) a stop-gap worktop out of...

Now, some may recall that last year I replaced my dilapidated potting-shed as it had taken on a rhomboidal shape such that its door would no longer close. The only thing salvageable was the aforementioned door and for the past sixteen months that has been gathering dust and cobwebs in the shed that replaced it. A quick measure of this identified it as an ideal candidate so I set about with saw, drill, hammer and sandpaper to fashion it into the correct shape to fit the hole. Several coats of matt varnish later, ta dah!

Obviously the groove of the tongue'n'groove door makes it unsuitable as an actual work-surface/counter-top, but as an up-cycled deep shelf for all my baking toys it's rather spiffing I think (especially against the accidentally shabby-chic wall, which will be re-plastered and re-tiled when the kitchen is refitted):

Edited by Dean - August 12 2016 at 02:15
What?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 10:10

Ladies & Gentlemen - Elvish has just left the building

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 06:08

Debs was listening to The Archers (an everyday story of country-folk) today, which isn't something I do very often so I've no idea what's going on or who's who, when I thought I heard one of the character say "the thing is with owls, is their heads can come right off without affecting them." ... After a typical apoplectic outburst from me, Debs pointed out he actually said "elves", not "owls". Slightly embarrassed by this near-geriatric mishearing I daren't ask her what the f--- elves were doing in Ambridge.

And how can elves heads come off without it affecting them? I don't remember seeing any headless elves running around in Lord of the Rings.

Or has there been an outbreak of drug-taking in Ambridge lately?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 17:37
Debs was listening to The Archers (an everyday story of country-folk) today, which isn't something I do very often so I've no idea what's going on or who's who, when I thought I heard one of the character say "the thing is with owls, is their heads can come right off without affecting them." ... After a typical apoplectic outburst from me, Debs pointed out he actually said "elves", not "owls". Slightly embarrassed by this near-geriatric mishearing I daren't ask her what the f--- elves were doing in Ambridge.
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 08:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It drives the neighbour's yap-dog crazy. Out of bedevilment I've moved it a few inches so it's illuminated by the solar deck-lights and I can now annoy the little sod at night too. Big smile

That's cruel.

Very funny though. LOL

If someone gets Dean a programmable robot for his birthday, watch out, he may well send Yap-Dog into canine psych therapy....Smile

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 07:31

It drives the neighbour's yap-dog crazy. Out of bedevilment I've moved it a few inches so it's illuminated by the solar deck-lights and I can now annoy the little sod at night too. Big smile

That's cruel.

Very funny though. LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 06:01
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 05:30
You appear to have a pet puma Dean.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 16:39
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

My wife would love to have the glassed in sun room.
That's currently my office as my actual home-office is being used for storage - which is a damn fool idea because it gets stupidly hot and under the full glare of the sun it's impossible to see the 'puter screen.

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wow that looks sweet Dean....makes me wanna take the morning tea right there in the back.  That's a pretty high privacy fence on the right.
The deck is only 4' deep but it was built to accommodate a small folding table and pair of chairs precisely for the partaking of tea or other light refreshment. The furnishing of the interior has yet to be decided but we are considering a small wood burning stove.

Standard 6' fence, erected it myself after the previous one flew away in the storms last year.
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 10:00
Wow that looks sweet Dean....makes me wanna take the morning tea right there in the back.  That's a pretty high privacy fence on the right. 

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 08:50

Oh dear. I think that will require more than a lick of paint to drag it back from the brink - one good gust of wind and it'll be firewood.

The summerhouse at Darq Towers (mentioned a few pages back) is progressing slowly:

Since that photo was taken I've installed solar panels and the 12V car battery salvaged from my old Hynudai V6 coupe to power the LED lighting and invested in a pair of rather nice Q-Acoustics speakers (from those awfully nice people at Richer Sounds) that'll be driven from the ridiculously powerful ICE system I had in the Scirroco once Mr & Mrs Daughter have moved their crap belongings out (whenever that'll be) so it will be a serious Prog retreat when it's finished. [Son-in-law has promised to paint the back of the house... still waiting).
My wife would love to have the glassed in sun room.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 07:46
Oh dear. I think that will require more than a lick of paint to drag it back from the brink - one good gust of wind and it'll be firewood.

The summerhouse at Darq Towers (mentioned a few pages back) is progressing slowly:

Since that photo was taken I've installed solar panels and the 12V car battery salvaged from my old Hynudai V6 coupe to power the LED lighting and invested in a pair of rather nice Q-Acoustics speakers (from those awfully nice people at Richer Sounds) that'll be driven from the ridiculously powerful ICE system I had in the Scirroco once Mr & Mrs Daughter have moved their crap belongings out (whenever that'll be) so it will be a serious Prog retreat when it's finished. [Son-in-law has promised to paint the back of the house... still waiting).
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 151>