Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 06:39
Oh dear...

The ol' shed's not getting as much attention as it used to, is it?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 13:46
Free download of any, all or none of my albums for anyone who does or doesn't add Phil Collins to the Archives.

What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:50
I'd like to offer last month's edition of Prog and a mouldy Mars bar to anyone who adds Phil Collins to the Archives.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 14:20
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

It's a true shame RJG is having to retire from liver performance, but medical issues leave him no option. It does beg the question though - if they continue, how many people will go to a RJG-less Enid gig?

Judging by the number of people queuing to chat to Joe Payne afterwards, I think they'll do alright but from what I gather there are some that are not so keen with the new, more vocal direction and prefer the old, more instrumental band.

This is as close as we got backstage -

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 11:23
I'm jealous, too, Alan - seen The Enid many times over the years, from small halls, to rainy fields to the hallowed Hammersmith Odeon.

Live, they have never failed to impress, but if you play a studio album to a neophyte, you cannot get across the feel of an Enid gig. I remember seeing them on the 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' tour & being blown away by 'Raindown' then when I eventually managed to afford the album being disappointed at how lacklustre it sounded in the studio.

It's a true shame RJG is having to retire from liver performance, but medical issues leave him no option. It does beg the question though - if they continue, how many people will go to a RJG-less Enid gig?

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Reading back that post dawned the horrible realisation that the content, and thus my internet history and current email address, is older than some of the members of this site...

I know mate, I know - I was wearing a Fairport tour shirt yesterday which was older than many members of this site

Still fits though!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 07:03
LOL aye, that is so very true. 

My sister sent me this t-shirt for my birthday:

...which was amusing for 5 minutes but I really didn't appreciate the "Old Guys Rule" bit. (I'll prolly paint that out once I've exchanged it for one in my size).
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 06:34

Reading back that post dawned the horrible realisation that the content, and thus my internet history and current email address, is older than some of the members of this site... Unhappy

I know the feeling. It's got to the point now where backstage at a gig is a bit like a gentlemen's retirement home.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 05:29
Reading back that post dawned the horrible realisation that the content, and thus my internet history and current email address, is older than some of the members of this site... Unhappy
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 11:18

Clap Excellent. I would be jealous but I have no one to blame but myself, I could have/should have got tickets but didn't. 

The Enid being better live than on record is one of the biggest conundrums of the past 40 years. Back in 199? I wrote this on my website: "I think I've seen the Enid slightly more times than I've seen the Cure, but it's close. The Enid where one of those enigmas of the music industry that have a huge and very loyal following, but never achieve success as measured by record sales. On CD and vinyl, the Enid were superb, but they could never never capture the pure essence of their live performances.  This bothered me for years, because recordings of their live performances couldn't capture it either. On reflection, I think what was missing was something that can never be recorded by "normal" media, (and perhaps this is true of all live albums), I believe the missing 'element' is the attuned, focused concentration of the audience. Recordings of Enid music are very easy to listen to, the sounds flow over you and absorb you. Live it is different, and unlike any rock concert I have ever been to, you sit or stand in reverent silence: listening intently to every note; watch the interplay between guitar and keyboard as if the music contains a power that lives only for the fraction of a second in which it was created. Yet at the end of each song, there is not polite applause, but an euphoric eruption. Then came the encore, where the Enid really let their hair down, assaulting the audience with blasts of Land of Hope and Glory / The Dambusters March and a straight and pure, unadulterated version of the Pistols' God Save the Queen."

I think that's probably right. As I said, this is the first time I've seen them (being a new convert) but I was certainly entranced by the music. We were in the third row so I could see the musicians and it's fascinating to watch such class, especially (for me) the bass player who was playing all sorts of percussion as well. The crashes made by him on the big drum and the drummer together were quite startling.
Having listened to Dust once so far, initial impressions are it was certainly more powerful live.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 09:13
It's unfortunate the big man got to abstain from live music.
I saw the band in concert for the first (and seemingly for the last) time in 2013 at Gouveia GAR and  can say nothing but agree with your assessment - they were on stage much more exciting than I expected from the recorded work.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 07:35
Clap Excellent. I would be jealous but I have no one to blame but myself, I could have/should have got tickets but didn't. 

The Enid being better live than on record is one of the biggest conundrums of the past 40 years. Back in 199? I wrote this on my website: "I think I've seen the Enid slightly more times than I've seen the Cure, but it's close. The Enid where one of those enigmas of the music industry that have a huge and very loyal following, but never achieve success as measured by record sales. On CD and vinyl, the Enid were superb, but they could never never capture the pure essence of their live performances.  This bothered me for years, because recordings of their live performances couldn't capture it either. On reflection, I think what was missing was something that can never be recorded by "normal" media, (and perhaps this is true of all live albums), I believe the missing 'element' is the attuned, focused concentration of the audience. Recordings of Enid music are very easy to listen to, the sounds flow over you and absorb you. Live it is different, and unlike any rock concert I have ever been to, you sit or stand in reverent silence: listening intently to every note; watch the interplay between guitar and keyboard as if the music contains a power that lives only for the fraction of a second in which it was created. Yet at the end of each song, there is not polite applause, but an euphoric eruption. Then came the encore, where the Enid really let their hair down, assaulting the audience with blasts of Land of Hope and Glory / The Dambusters March and a straight and pure, unadulterated version of the Pistols' God Save the Queen."
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 07:23
I was at The Enid gig last night at the Cadogan Hall - Robert John Godfrey's last live performance. It was the first time I've seen them live - very impressive show, the sound was excellent and they are much more powerful live than on record. Quite an emotional send off. Apologies for the dodgy photo on my crappy phone.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 07:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, Microsoft have been telling me I should upgrade to Windows 10 for ages and they scheduled an upgrade for today so I thought I 'd take the plunge. It said it would take a while so I kicked off the upgrade and left it to complete. Came back an hour later and it's at the login screen. I thought it looked familiar so I logged in to find it's still Windows 8.1!
Looking at the event log there are some errors that are probably connected to the upgrade.  So out of 3 computers we've tried it on in the chopper household only 1 has worked.
Not good Mr Gates.

Well, my PC prompted me to upgrade again last night and this time it's worked. At first glance Windows 10 seems quite good and Edge is fast, but after 10 minutes the PC crashed and I got a screen saying it was collecting information before a restart. It got to 100% and then sat there without any sign of a restart so I had to manually restart.
Let's hope this is a one-off.
The crash was caused by my out-of-date webcam drivers. I don't really use it much so it's not really a problem. Other than that Windows 10 seems pretty good.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 02:38

Well, Microsoft have been telling me I should upgrade to Windows 10 for ages and they scheduled an upgrade for today so I thought I 'd take the plunge. It said it would take a while so I kicked off the upgrade and left it to complete. Came back an hour later and it's at the login screen. I thought it looked familiar so I logged in to find it's still Windows 8.1!
Looking at the event log there are some errors that are probably connected to the upgrade.  So out of 3 computers we've tried it on in the chopper household only 1 has worked.
Not good Mr Gates.

Well, my PC prompted me to upgrade again last night and this time it's worked. At first glance Windows 10 seems quite good and Edge is fast, but after 10 minutes the PC crashed and I got a screen saying it was collecting information before a restart. It got to 100% and then sat there without any sign of a restart so I had to manually restart.
Let's hope this is a one-off.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 10:18
Not good Mr Gates.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:53
Thanks Dean, those last 2 especially have brightened up a dull Friday afternoon.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 08:28

Last night some miscreants attempted to steal the safe from Alton College, I hope all shedites have good alibis because they tried to carry it away on a ride-on lawn mower... Pinch

...judging how impoverish the college claims to be I suspect the lawn mower was worth more than the contents of the safe.
Don't worry I'll bring it back tomorrow. I've blunted all my drills getting into the bloody thing.

That reminds of some people who stole a safe a few years back (can't find the story on the Internet just now). They towed it away by dragging it behind their car. Fortunately for the police it gouged a ****ing great trail in the road all the way back to their house, so all they had to do was follow the trail and nick the idiots.
We've had several break-ins at work over the years, which was remarkable as we ran three shifts so the building was always occupied.

When laptops were a new thing all our salesmen whined that they needed them when they were on the road and could also work from home so we invested a huge sum of money in equipping them with the latest and greatest. One night thieves broke in and low and behold every laptop was stolen. As none of the salesmen could explain why they were left on their desks overnight I replaced them with the cheapest and heaviest desktops I could find.

On another occasion we came in to work in the morning to discover that someone had attempted to break into the safe with hammer and cold-chisel - judging by the damage they must have been at it for several hours and it seems they'd only given up because they'd run out of time. Somehow the noise they undoubtedly must made didn't wake the night-shift working downstairs who were oblivious to the whole thing.

While looking out of the window during a break from a dull and boring mid-afternoon conference we saw a "hoodie" loitering around the carpark; we watched in stunned amazement as he smashed the side window of MDs Merc. By the time we had come to our senses and rushed out to confront him he was legging it across the carpark with the boss's car radio in hand. So we gave chase and instead of heading off down the road he tried to make his get-away though a hedge. The other side of which we knew was a 20-foot drop into the River Wey. Evidently he didn't, and in the subsequent fall he broke his ankle and got a well needed bath, as did the radio (which really didn't need one).

And the best of the lot: our evening-shift supervisor saw a guy carrying a computer & monitor down the stairs, the guy said he was the new day shift IT technician and was taking it home to repair it, so the muppet helped him carry it to his car. LOL

What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:40

Last night some miscreants attempted to steal the safe from Alton College, I hope all shedites have good alibis because they tried to carry it away on a ride-on lawn mower... Pinch

...judging how impoverish the college claims to be I suspect the lawn mower was worth more than the contents of the safe.
Don't worry I'll bring it back tomorrow. I've blunted all my drills getting into the bloody thing.

That reminds of some people who stole a safe a few years back (can't find the story on the Internet just now). They towed it away by dragging it behind their car. Fortunately for the police it gouged a ****ing great trail in the road all the way back to their house, so all they had to do was follow the trail and nick the idiots.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:21

Edited by Dean - February 05 2016 at 04:22
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

So many ways to say this, and I'd probably get it wrong, so I'll leave it to the legend... to all my fellow Sheddites:

Nicely put sir. Happy New Year to all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 151>