Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Baroque Pop Prog Related?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you say Baroque Pop is Prog Related?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
2 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Baroque Pop Prog Related?
    Posted: July 28 2009 at 10:56
I've recently discovered Andrew Bird and while I admire his skills as a musician, I wouldn't exactly call it prog.
This is yet another one of those borderline cases. Anyway... I like his music, whether it's prog or not.

Edited by Zebedee - July 28 2009 at 11:03

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 08:37
Andrew Bird is more indie rock, my girlfriend is his number one fan. He can be considered as prog, definitely! He has something that sounds like 7/8 on Anonanimal or something, and a lot of looping and sampling. The guy is really prog, most suitably Prog Folk.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 14:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Er, could you define 'Baroque Pop'? I only heard about "Baroque Kraut Pop" once and I don't know who is Andrew Bird.
Try this for a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_pop

Thanks, I got it now.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 12:35
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Er, could you define 'Baroque Pop'? I only heard about "Baroque Kraut Pop" once and I don't know who is Andrew Bird.
Try this for a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_pop
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 12:32
Baroque Pop is sort of Proto-Prog Related. Like Progressive Rock, it grew out of the Psychedelic Pop/Rock scene of the late 60s but never developed the intricate jazz-influenced complexity of Prog Rock. During this period several bands that we now consider to be Prog dipped their toes in the Baroque Pop pond before expanding into what we call Prog (Procol Harum and to some extent The Moody Blues being the most obvious) whilst others did not (Zombies, The Association etc.) - I think it is fair to say the Baroque Pop had some influence on the development of Progressive Rock with bamds like The Beatles, The Stones and The Beach Boys all experimenting with classical instruments, arangements and orchestration within the standard Pop format (ie not actually producing Prog songs, but perhaps Proto-Symphonic Prog).

Of the modern era, Baroque Pop appears to be a tag applied to any band that gets "a bit orchestral" - some of those artists we consider Prog (The Decemberists have been called Baroque Pop), some are Prog Related (Mercury Rev), some we will continue to argue over (Tori Amos, Joanna Newsom), and some we have yet to discuss (The Divine Comedy etc.). Whether this "prog" relatedness is due to the Baroque elements of their music sounding "a bit Prog" is open to debate.

There is also a crossover between Baroque Pop and Dream Pop (often called Shoegazer - though in the UK at least that is a slightly different genre) with bands ranging from The Cocteau Twins through to Mew switching between both subgenres from song to song. Of course bands such as No-Man, David Sylvian and The Gathering blur this even more and enter into Prog territory whole-sale.
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 12:13
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 12:04
I have been listening to quite a bit Baroque Pop lately, (Namely Andrew Bird,) and it seems like to me it has a lot in common with prog rock. The song structures are simpler than prog but still more complex than other genres and the lyrics sound very much like prog lyrics. Am I just crazy or is Baroque Pop Prog Related?
 Post Reply Post Reply