Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFLASH has new material posted onto MySpace!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLASH has new material posted onto MySpace!
    Posted: July 20 2009 at 12:37
Dear All, my good friend Ray Bennett just informed me that his band, Flash, has posted new material onto the "Flash" website on MySpace.com  

Ray was originally the bassist of the first version, featuring Peter Banks on guitar, Colin Carter on vocals and Mike Hough on drums.  The new material features Carter on vocals, Bennett on guitar and Clint Bahr on bass.  
Enjoy, and please join me in wishing Flash all the best with their new material!  Cheers, Chuck Stack
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 01:20
Sorry, I forgot the drummer's name!  Watch http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter for new material and updates!!

Also, please note the VERY cool mention about Flash in the Gibson Guitar magazine, posted in Flash's blog!

Rock on and peace, Chuck
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 02:59
I thought it was Bennett, Carter, Bahr, and the new drummer, not Banks, Carter, Bahr and the drummer. Ray Bennett replaced Mr. B, I believe.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 23:26
Uh, that's what I said in my first post!    The new material is Bennett, Carter, Bahr and Drummer X! 

Pete didn't want to be involved in it, although talks went around & around for quite a while.  

I like the material but miss Ray's trademark Rickenbacker "lead bass," i.e. "Flash In the Can" etc.  That was some great bass work!

It's been many years, with many changes, I'm hoping they get to tour a bit and wish them all the best.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 02:40
Yea, I have the original vinyl for In the Can. I still put it on every week or so, to not forget one of the greatest Eclectic Prog albums of all-time :)
Trendsetter win!

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 04:49
Good to hear.  I'll have to give a listen to the new material.  Loved their three albums, but especially their first two.  Looking forward to hearing some new stuff.  It's ashame Banks and Hough aren't involved, and that Bennett is no longer on bass, but glad that Bennett and Carter are producing material together again.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 05:19
Long live Flash!
Trendsetter win!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 18:42
That's exactly how I feel!  

The band has had some good press recently, the single "Small Beginnings" was included in a rock compilation by Chicago DJ Bob Stroud around Christmas time.  I posted the link for that in the Flash Wikipedia page.  

Colin's unique voice still comes through, and Ray's guitar work is enjoyable!  The material posted onto the Flash website is rough-mix right now, and the material is going through final mix process, so watch for that new Flash CD at a store near you!!

Jeez....CDs?  Stores??  I sure feel like a dinosaur!  First saw Flash on their "Wishbone Flash" tour (backing up Wishbone Ash) in Chicago about 1974, they were fantastic!  One of the best concerts I ever saw in my life! 

Rock on, everyone! 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 02:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Good to hear.  I'll have to give a listen to the new material.  Loved their three albums, but especially their first two.  Looking forward to hearing some new stuff.  It's ashame Banks and Hough aren't involved, and that Bennett is no longer on bass, but glad that Bennett and Carter are producing material together again.

I just went to Peter Bank's page on MySpace, and he has uploaded a great live cut of "There No More".  It's worth checking out, I wonder if it is from the live "Psychosync" LP?  

Nice to hear live Flash, I don't think they were recorded or filmed much!  There is a clip from the US TV show "Midnight Special," but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere! 

Flash lives on!  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 03:00
I think it's fron Psychosync, but I don't know for sure, as I passed when I saw it in the vinyl store.
Trendsetter win!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 13:11
I just received a MySpace blog post from Ray Bennett, with lots of good information on the tunes, band etc.!  In part, he says:
-----------

New material from Flash ....... a long time coming ....... sorry about that, guess we got distracted for a few years somehow !

We also have more new material in the works for a full CD.  That will include an acoustic song and other lighter stuff, like me on mandolin, plus more extended pieces. Maybe even get some guitar improv in there too.   

That said, the new band is a five piece band ... with keys this time as in the original concept of the band in the early 70's. Now we will be able to include all the great Tony Kaye bits from our first album in a live show.
--------
Check it out, folks!  Some classic Prog is coming back to life!!  Rock on, Chuck

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 13:16
Could anyone provide some links?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 02:15
Sure, here's the link with Ray's FLASH blog and the uploads of the new tunes:

http://www.myspace.com/flashbennettcarter

Here's Ray's blog entry in its entirety:

Re : New Tracks.

Here they are :

1) 10,000.
2) Grand Canyon.
3) How The West Was Won. 

New material from Flash ....... a long time coming ....... sorry about that, guess we got distracted for a few years somehow !

We also have more new material in the works for a full CD.  That will include an acoustic song and other lighter stuff, like me on mandolin, plus more extended pieces. Maybe even get some guitar improv in there too.  

That said, the new band is a five piece band ... with keys this time as in the original concept of the band in the early 70's. Now we will be able to include all the great Tony Kaye bits from our first album in a live show.

For old Flash fans, a word of explanation on the other two original members :
Colin Carter and myself decided to continue on as Flash after reunion discussions with the other two original members ended.  Back in 2004 Pete Banks felt that doing Flash again wasn't the right thing for him, and later, although initially very enthusiastic, Mike Hough decided the same. 

Colin and I felt fine about doing it and picked up the threads again just like we had taken only a short break, instead of many years.  To us it felt very strongly like 'unfinished business'.

The live shows will feature roughly half old and half new material initially and over time I would expect us to feature most of the old repertoire at one time or another.
But of course, Colin and I are always writing new stuff, as in the old days, so don't think of this as a revival show simply to relive old memories and old music, this is a band that will always be striving to be new.  Always a work in progress.

More later,

Ray Bennett
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 04:10
Heres an active one...

EDIT.

Ha...I see you signed yourself Ray Bennett this time. If it is you, cheers mate!Thumbs Up

Although I'm an old time Yes fan, I only very recentlyu heard your first two albums. I know the second one better and I think its brilliant...honestly. Why did I miss it first time! I missed a lot I suppose.

Edited by Snow Dog - July 31 2009 at 04:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 08:23
I'm not sure, as it says so on the post itself, but if it is him, it's an honor!
Trendsetter win!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 00:04
No, I'm Chuck in Chicago!!  I just cut & pasted Ray's entire blog posting so you folks could read all of it!  

Sorry for the confusion!   I'll forward this page to Ray so he can join the conversation if he has time (he is mixing all the new material!!)

Please visit the Flash site on MySpace, and also check out the Wikipedia page for Flash for other interviews & updates.  

There's also some GREAT studio video of Ray and Colin (shot by Ray's lady, Sherry) on YouTube!   Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSYjnvsiZ0s

This is prog history in the making, enjoy!!

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 05:37
^^OK yeah, I can see the error I made.Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 06:45

So Sherry is Ray's wife... I thought she was a stalker.

Trendsetter win!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 15:15
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

So Sherry is Ray's wife... I thought she was a stalker.

HA!!  No, not wife, she's his ladyfriend.  They are a really nice couple, I've enjoyed knowing Sherry and Ray since 2001, when they lived in NYC.  

Check out Ray Bennett's site on MySpace for a collage of photos, I saw him with Flash backing up Wishbone Ash in Chicago, i.e. "Wishbone Flash" tour!  1973 I think.  Ray was in the "Man in Black" mode (black Rickenbacker, black clothes).  Fantastic show all around, W. Ash were amazing!!  

I raise a glass to this band, and wish them all the best of luck with their release and tour!  Ray is one of the "hidden" talents of prog....Chris Squire's roommate, introduced to Peter Banks by Bill Bruford, and friend with just about everybody in the Brit prog universe.  One of the great unstated talents, let's see how they do!  Cheers, Chuck
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2010 at 14:39
The new Flash line-up:

Ray Bennett, lead guitar & vocals
Colin Carter, lead vocals
Wayne Carver, bass
Rick Daugherty, keyboards
Mark Pardy, drums
 Post Reply Post Reply