Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSacha Baron Cohen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of his alter-egos do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [34.78%]
14 [60.87%]
1 [4.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 07:36
Nothing for me either.
My main problem is that he just presents variations of only a handful of ideas.
I have the same problem with Little Britain.

Edited by npjnpj - July 28 2009 at 07:37
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 10:26
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Cohen can be a little juvenile at times, but ultimately his humor is about destroying this perception people have of us living in an enlightened age. He's proving that deep down, were still the same dim-witted cavemen we were 50000 years ago. And that to me, is the biggest joke of all. All this technology and modern society; it's like letting a chimpanzee play with a handgun.

Well said.

I think predominantly I just thought Ali G's catchphrases were a great mockery of teenage gang culture in England, but now I look more into it, all three completely humiliate the people that are a bit stuck up and show out their true colours. I don't think many people can pull that off well these days.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 11:16
Yeah, I'm always a fan of making people look like idiots, and Cohen is one of the best. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 12:04

Grab a camera, make a fool of yourself, be rude and gross... and people will love it...

A sign of the times I guess.... There's no need anymore for intelligent humour....
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 12:59
Seems like your confusing his stuff with the like of punk'd and other crap shows. Nothing illustrates what Cohen is trying to do better than Borat yelling "We support your war of terror!!!" and "May US&A kill every last terrorist" while the crowd applauds wildly.
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 09:49
Sasha is crap...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 11:24

?fh=0e50519a850f565430a21473af701612

v v v That was really good.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 29 2009 at 17:26
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 13:20
DId you see Shatner reading her resignation speech. Hilarious! On a second note a guy on one site had a theory that she was a dadaist because her speeches are so incomprehensible. Now that I think about it, I can totally see the Captain belting out some Palin.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 15:40
bruno made me physically ill. possibly the worst movie i have ever seen, though it had its moments. just kinda repeated the same shtick as borat only much fouler and not nearly as funny. 

on the other hand, i loved borat. im kinda meh about him on the whole
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 17:27
cartoon: comic about Bruno movie and homophobia

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 30 2009 at 13:09
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 18:06
Well I dont think ANYone, (who is sane) actually expects Cohen movies to change anyones viewpoints.
Those that enjoy them, (generally) will already be open minded about such topics.

People who hate gays well, of course they'll hate the movie but they wouldn't like it anyway.
His work is not for everyone, that's for sure.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 22:14
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Dunno where abouts because it's practically in the middle of nowhere Just coming down to visit a friend as you do...

Are they hot on folk music down there? Cos I like a bit of folk me

Not really.unfortunately  I just heard it was a stereotype round Cornwall and Devon to see folk bands.Down here we still have the same crap cover bands as I expect the rest of England does.I want to to even this post out with some positivity about Devon but I can't think of any.Ah ha!The country side is good.......muddy.....but good.

And speaking of Cohen the chavs,hoodys etc here are exceptionaly funny.Exactly like the ones in hot fuzz.you've never seen something as funny as someone for Devon speaking like X zibit.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 22:46
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Well I dont think ANYone, (who is sane) actually expects Cohen movies to change anyones viewpoints.
Those that enjoy them, (generally) will already be open minded about such topics.

People who hate gays well, of course they'll hate the movie but they wouldn't like it anyway.

True. Now, we established he will not change people's minds, so his work doesn't really have any redeeming value from that side. As a display of story-telling art, is garbage. What is it, then? A desire to shock, to impress by disgust, in a society where every day it's easier to impress people just by being rude and un-civil.
The destruction of cinema. Stories are gone.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 23:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

True. Now, we established he will not change people's minds, so his work doesn't really have any redeeming value from that side. As a display of story-telling art, is garbage. What is it, then? A desire to shock, to impress by disgust, in a society where every day it's easier to impress people just by being rude and un-civil.

It is satire. And don't even give me the BS that is too obvious or not subtle enough. Also, the point is too make people look stupid. If it's not your thing then cool, but I enjoy seeing people looking like fools.
I will admit, Bruno was a bit too out there. There was NO subtlety to it, it was more shock value.

But as I've said it's my least favorite.
Borat was some great satire in my opinion, and I ALMOST felt bad for some of the fools in that movie and he did it without, well being shock oriented, (entirely).
And Ali G was making fun of wannabe gangsta's. What's not to enjoy.

Anyway, enough with this thread. People will hate/misunderstand/be weirded out but I like Cohen very much.
Bruno was meh....but his other 2 persona's were great!
Besides the more controversy he causes, whether it is on a global level or here on PA, it all just feeds the troll of Mr. Cohen.
He is win.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 08:54

I dunno dude, I thikn people just find it generally funny. I do for one. I could go deeper into it but there really isn't any point. It's the same reason I laugh at silly shows like Banzai. It's just humour. Family Guy has no plot either but it can be utterly hilarious.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:40
Exactly.
I know we're proggers so EVERYTHING must be intelligent but seriously....sometimes dumb funny is, well funny.
Gotta have some things simple.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 13:07
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

It's the same reason I laugh at silly shows like Banzai.

That's the one with the shaking hands dude right? Tongue

By the way, when it comes to shows that involve ordinary people for comedic purposes, the short-lived Insomniac with Dave Attell reigns supreme.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 30 2009 at 13:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:41

Ermm Please, cinema will be destroyed by meat head sh*t like Crank and Fast and Furious and stupid slasher movies like TCM or The Unborn (seriously, movie with creepy kid that kills ppl, that never happensAngry) long before it's threatened by the likes of Cohen. In fact I'd venture to say his stuff has more of a plot than the aforementioned genres.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 17:26
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Ermm Please, cinema will be destroyed by meat head sh*t like Crank and Fast and Furious and stupid slasher movies like TCM or The Unborn (seriously, movie with creepy kid that kills ppl, that never happensAngry) long before it's threatened by the likes of Cohen. In fact I'd venture to say his stuff has more of a plot than the aforementioned genres.

Thank you! Yeah, this is just the T  being his usual self.
I mean to say this is the destruction of cinema and story telling? I think that's been happening for a long time....
And Bruno had no subtlety....However, Borat... I still don't see how that one is "obvious"
Whatever, like I said Cohen is awesome. And honestly....I'm not really going to listen to many of the people on here, since....well everyone tries to show how "different" they are and hate everything.

Like I said...all this debate, even in a negative way, is just feeding the troll that is Cohen.
Again, the man has won!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 21:54

Thank you! Yeah, this is just the T  being his usual self.

What the hell is the problem with you? That you have to defend your actor and that I criticized him, even if wrongly according to you, doesn't mean you have to say that. What the hell do you imply?

Oh, maybe that's you being your usual self.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>