Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNick D'Virgilio's Rewirng Genesis Live,CA,USA!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick D'Virgilio's Rewirng Genesis Live,CA,USA!
    Posted: July 22 2009 at 16:55

I though there was  thread about this somewhere but I can't find it in here. This is a one off show not a tribute band.

Spock's Beard Nick D'Virgilio will be performing his new album a remake of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway In Whittier Ca, on August 1 2009.  This is not a recreation like the Musical Box this is a reinterpretation of the music of the lamb including horns.  Here is the line up:

NDV on Lead Vocals

Dave Martin on Bass 

Rick Musallam on Guitar 

Jimmy Keegan on Drums 

Kevin Krohn on Keys (String Duty) 

Ed Goldfarb on Piano 

John Hinchey on Trombone 

Mark Visher on Sax/Flute 

Willie Murillo on Trumpet 

Charlie Peterson on Baritone Sax 

Leigh Levine on Clarinet 

Randy Leago on Sax/Accordion 

Kat Bowser and Carolyn Martin on BGVs

If that is not enough the rest of Spock's Beard will performing the encore of a selection of SB music. Sounds like a great night in a 400 seat auditorium.  Hear Samples and buy tickets here:

For those of you who complain of little Prog shows in So Call should come see this.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 23:00
So no one in Southern California is going to this? 
Unhappy

natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 09:48
I'm going! Big smile  
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 15:12
Cool.  I think this is going to be a great show.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 15:25
I'm fairly jealous of you all on this one, I'd enjoy seeing it.  On the other hand, I'm going to see IQ and Phideaux at 3RP next week (among others), so I'm pretty excited.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 15:42

^Yeah, 3RP sounds so great, I wish it wasn't so far away for me! I was really jealous last year with the whole Neal Morse playing with Spock's Beard and the 3/4 reunion of Transatlantic.

But, this concert sounds fun, and I can't wait to see what Spock's Beard tunes they play. It's a performance of one of my favorite albums of all time followed by my favorite band performing an encore. It is quite a drive for me, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. It's also close to my birthday, so I'm considering it a birthday present to myself Wink
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:14

Have you bought tickets yet?

If so where are you sitting?

natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:24
Yes, I've already bought the tickets. I don't have the tickets with me right now, but I believe it was seats D2 and D4 (I'm taking a friend with me). It's the right side, fourth row back.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:36
I am in A103-4 I think.  I will look for you and say hi. Wink

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 11:35
From the Promoter:

Hi CalProggers,

I hope you'll indulge me while I share this with you. With CalProg coming up in 2 months and Rewiring this weekend, it's easy to get so lost in contracts, logistics, publicity and PR that I lose sight of the important things. And then a day like today comes along and I remember why I love prog music so much. I just got back from the rehearsal of Rewiring (and Spock's). First, the sheer volume of musicians in the room is a bit mind boggling. There's a ton of wires, instruments of all sorts and a half dozen music stands with complete scores of The Lamb. Then miraculously everyone turns their attention to Nick sitting center along the long wall with a boom mic lowered to his face. He says "You ready?" The room went silent and then the classic arpeggiated piano riff that opens The Lamb is being rendered flawlessly by Ed Goldfarb. Then the words "and the lamb... lies down... on BROADWAY" and the whole band including horns comes in perfectly balanced. A chill went down my spine and a rush of emotion ensued that literally brought tears to my eyes. That is the magic that makes music a transcendent experience. No matter how wrapped up you are in whatever is going on in your life, it can lift you out of it and take you somewhere else entirely.

All day I was reminded what a brilliantly written piece of music The Lamb is. But to see THIS music played in THIS way is completely exhilarating. These professional musicians whose main emphasis in their own musical careers range from Dixieland to country to jazz and fusion, show an obvious reverence for this music, and deliver it with a new life and vitality that in many ways take the original to a higher place. Then to hear each song from this sprawling epic unfold in this way, well it was an INCREDIBLE day! And if it sounded this good over a rehearsal studio sound system when I think of how it will sound through our pro-system, with the staging and lighting in tow, man this is going to be one of those "whole life musical experiences" that will rank up there with the best I've had.

I know that in promoting these shows you hear a lot of hype from me about the music we host, and  in truth we really have been blessed with some great artists. But I hope you can see in my words here that I am now speaking from the heart as a fan, not as a promoter. I LOVED the Musical Box when they played the Lamb in Whittier some 5 years ago, and was amazed at the reproduction of the authentic original Genesis experience. The nostalgia was overwhelming and transported us all back to when Genesis was at their best. But as good as that was, I can say without hesitation that what I saw and heard today was far more enjoyable from an artistic, emotional and intellectual perspective. I just wanted to share this with you and warn you that those of you that are attending are in for an incredible night of music. Be prepared to be swept away, and you might want to bring along a kleenex just in case.

Papa J

Post Reply Post Reply