Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Marillion Round Table
    Posted: July 25 2009 at 09:52
Even though I remember them from the 80's, I've been heavy into Marillion for about 5 years now. In that short amount of time, I've been able to acquire pretty much their entire catalog in discs and DVD's (I still need the newly remastered live discs from the Fish era). And, with my membership to the Front Row Club and the WebUK, I have an assortment of live discs from Hogarth's very first live performance in Paris, to several performances from the Happiness Is The Road tour. All of this is topped off by my attending the North Amercian convention in Montreal in April, and will most assuredly go down as (one of) the greatest live music experiences of my life.

I have to really watch myself with Marillion. If I find myself listening to them too much, I must shelve them for a period; however, every time I re-visit them and hear the brilliant music that they continue to produce, it just reaffirms what I love and admire about this band.

So, being that we're seeing a lot of "appreciation threads", I thought I'd start one of my favorite and learn what makes them special for you. Favorite discs, songs and experiences can be expressed freely.

E

Edited by E-Dub - August 23 2009 at 20:21
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 10:12
All about Fish for me. Kelly plays some nice piano, especially on Script.. song, Trewavas's basslines on some songs, especially He Knows You Know, remind me of Geddy Lee for some reason and Rothery has a nice blend of Gilmour and Hackett, coming up with tearing solos that are often as memorable as the stuff those two legends have produced.  But Fish...the man has become my favourite prog rock singer.  His strengths in terms of flexing his voice to alter the mood and to emote very convincingly and directly in ways I have never heard from any other prog rock singer far outweigh the limitations of his range.  The band produced a great blend of driving, rockin' music with the theatrical and poetic flavour of say Genesis.   As for Hogarth, I have only heard one album of the ones he did with Marillion and didn't like his vocals at all, so pass.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 10:28

I'm a Johnny Come Lately to Marillion, given I had never even heard of them until after discovering Transatlantic, for whom Pete Trewavas played bass.  But upon discovering Marillion I jumped into the pool with both feet and have acquired all of their studio albums from both eras and I have been pleasantly happy with all of them.  Of course, some more than others, but for the most part, I have not been disappointed with any of their releases. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:00
Eric - firstly, big clappies to you for starting this threadClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

We have spoke a few times about the band, and neither of us need to be converted, but I hope this thread will persuade a few more people that the band did not end after Fish left.

As I post this, I am listening to Thirteenth Star, a great LP, and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing Fish in Pontardawe, South Wales, last year. Fish was the original reason that I, as a younger and especially classic Genesis prog freak, went to London to see them at the Marquee before most people had even heard of them.

I followed them throughout. The Garden Party in Milton Keynes to celebrate the success of Misplaced Childhood was a seminal moment, when I knew that neo prog could combine great music and commercial success.

Fish left, and then this bloke from The Europeans, who Fish had actually exalted on a BBC programme a couple of years before, took over. I saw him at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, brought Seasons End, and the love affair started all over again.

I almost gave up after Holidays in Eden, a shocking album, but Brave put its hooks in me, and I have kept the faith ever since. Forget The Lamb, TAAB, and all - Brave is simply the most intense and beautiful concept album ever made.

The break from EMI gave us This Strange Engine, a remarkably beautiful creation, and from then on in, the music has been driven by the fans, and not by the record companies.

I defy anyone to listen to Marbles and not be blown away by the creative emotional force behind the lyrics and musicianship. The latest, HITR, shows the band at their creative finest, with tracks such as Essence and Real Tears for Sale proving that they are still capable of tearing away all of the conventional prog boundaries.

I look forward to contributing to this thread for many years to come, and invite all sceptics and fans alike to join in the celebration of the finest band ever to walk and play this earth.

Cheers Eric.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 15:57
Thanks, Steve. If there is one thing that makes me satisfied is to see Hogarth get more and more respect around the Archives. I felt like I was a lone voice in the forest when I first came on, but have really seen more and more support for this truly remarkable frontman. I gained a whole new respect for him after Montreal.

I guess that's what I appreciate so much is how they do keep pushing the boundaries. You can't accuse them of doing the same thing over and over. And what can you say that hasn't already been said about Marbles. It's an absolutely amazing disc...and is a masterpiece. Especially songs like "Ocean Cloud" and "Neverland". During "Neverland" at the convention when you have that brief moment of silence right before Rothery's first guitar solo, I just said out loud to a guy with whom I befriended that last 2 nights down on the floor, "Here he goes..." and the solo just resonated. Absolutely mindblowing.

I'll never forget Montreal.

E

Edited by E-Dub - July 25 2009 at 16:04
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 16:58
Heart
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moatilliatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 17:22
I don't have anything elaborate to say, but I do love a handful of their works.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 18:21
I used to love the Fish era back in the 80s and saw the band twice at that time.  Nowadays I can't get into those Fish albums much. 

But I have discovered the Hogarth era.  I started with Brave and was captivated by that album.  Really wonderful stuff.  I'm now onto my 2nd "new era" album in "Sunlight" and the jury is still out.  I'm trying to decide what my next step should be. 

I love the atmosphere of Brave and the willingness to be patient.  I also love the story they wrote about recording the album, the ghosts they felt, etc.

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 18:52
I have only ever got in to the Fish era - Fugazi being my personal favourite. Which Hogarth album is most widely regarded?
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 19:39
Brave and Marbles are considered masterpieces from the Hogarth era. I'd have to agree.

E
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 01:45
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I have only ever got in to the Fish era - Fugazi being my personal favourite. Which Hogarth album is most widely regarded?

Fugazi is also my favourite from FISH

You can't miss BRAVE or MARBLES, as E said. Both amazing stuff.

The first time I ever heard Marillion was on the DREAM THEATER: 5 YEARS IN A LIVETIME DVD, where Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery played EASTER with Dream Theater. Thus began my obsession.

The first album I bought was MISPLACED CHILDHOOD, and this was what got me into the band. Shortly after, I bought B'SIDES THEMSELVES, SEASON'S END and FUGAZI.

Fugazi became my favourite up to that point, and I continued to fall in love with the band.

After I tired those out a little, I continued to feed the obsession and bought THIS STRANGE ENGINE,CLUTCHING AT STRAWS and SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR, both amazing. Since then, I've bought HAPPINESS IS THE ROAD, then BRAVE, AFRAID OF SUNLIGHT, SOMEWHERE ELSE, and just last week, MARBLES.

I've also bought the two FISH era live albums, REEL TO REAL and LA GAZZA LADRA.

Thats basically the story of my ever-growing love for Marillion... Only 3 studio albums to go, and I'll be done

-Joel

(BTW, Thanks for the great thread E... 'bout time Marillion got some recognition )
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 01:46
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I used to love the Fish era back in the 80s and saw the band twice at that time.  Nowadays I can't get into those Fish albums much.  But I have discovered the Hogarth era.  I started with Brave and was captivated by that album.  Really wonderful stuff.  I'm now onto my 2nd "new era" album in "Sunlight" and the jury is still out.  I'm trying to decide what my next step should be.  I love the atmosphere of Brave and the willingness to be patient.  I also love the story they wrote about recording the album, the ghosts they felt, etc.

Your next choice from the H era should probably be... MARBLES - Also insanely good.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 08:07
Sort of how my obsession started out, Joel. It's like once I heard one disc, it was a mission to get another disc.

I had always heard that Fish left the band and some new guy stepped in. I just never paid much attention, even though I liked songs like "Kayleigh" and "Incommunicado". A buddy of mine sent me Six Of One, Half Dozen Of The Other to start off with. First song was "Cover My Eyes (Pan And Heaven)" and I thought, "Cool song. Poppy, but cool." Second song was "Kayleigh" and it was really good to hear it again after so many years. After that, I was never the same again because I was hit with "Easter" and was completely blown away...and it's still my favorite Marillion song. That's when I really took notice.

I look over at my media shelf here in our little home office and can't believe all the Marillion stuff I've acquired. It's weird, Joel. I know of a lot of people who don't only love the band, but it becomes an obsession. My friend with whom I hung out in Montreal was dragged to a Marillion show in Washington DC on the Marbles tour and she was blown away, too. She's been to several Los Trios gigs here in the States, flew to Holland to attend the convention over there in 2007 and the one in Montreal. It's amazing the effect this band has.

And I never thought I'd get to see them live. When the North American convention was announced and I presented the idea to my wife, she didn't even have to think twice in giving me her blessing. The live experience was (in a word) magic. I'll never forget it.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 08:09
I did get the Early Stages box set for Father's Day. Some of the best live stuff from the Fish era that I've heard. I would still like to get these remasters of Recital, Magpie, and Loreley, though.

And Steve mentioned 13th Star. Absolutely brilliant disc! I think it's Fish's masterpiece and is extremely emotive.

E
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Kobrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 09:50
Can someone please help me get into this band??? I own both S f a J's T and Misplaced Childhood (an Austrian version with Austrian and German tour dates on it... Tongue ). I find the emotion to be quite... forced... and campy in a way. (Actually I find them to be blatantly cheesy.) The problem is that I'm not someone that gravitates towards lyrics at all and they are essentially a vocal-centric band and the instrumentation isn't quite interesting enough to pull me in. Also I'm not to fond of the Fish's voice (and neither am I too fond of Peter Gabriel's Wink)

It's a shame because the album artwork is damn cool... Wink
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Kobrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 09:51
P.S. Sorry for bringing this up in an appreciation thread... I know it's rude. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I used to love the Fish era back in the 80s and saw the band twice at that time.  Nowadays I can't get into those Fish albums much.  But I have discovered the Hogarth era.  I started with Brave and was captivated by that album.  Really wonderful stuff.  I'm now onto my 2nd "new era" album in "Sunlight" and the jury is still out.  I'm trying to decide what my next step should be.  I love the atmosphere of Brave and the willingness to be patient.  I also love the story they wrote about recording the album, the ghosts they felt, etc.

Your next choice from the H era should probably be... MARBLES - Also insanely good.

I think you're right Joel, Marbles, or perhaps that Strange Engine one.  People tell me Seasons End is great too.  

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 10:10
I had three phases with my reunion with Marillion

PHASE 1 : The Lightening Experience with The Fish period (5 years of true happiness)Big smile
PHASE 2 : The Frustration of a Divorce with the Departure of Fish (20 years)Cry
PHASE 3 : Reconcilliation with the band with the cd Happiness is The Road (a year)Smile

It took me 21 years to accept the new singer... Now i can appreciate Marillion music without comparaison to Fish.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 12:35

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I think you're right Joel, Marbles, or perhaps that Strange Engine one.  People tell me Seasons End is great too.  

Seasons End is actually quite awesome. Just how the music builds and builds on "King Of Sunset Town" when introducing the new singer is brilliant.

They did SE in it's entirety at the convention, and it was so incredible. The title track, "Berlin" and "The Space" were just stunning (the latter two especially).

My only complaint with the performance is they were commemorating the 20th anniversary of the album, so they were doing is pretty much as it was on the studio album (H didn't do the "Emmanuel" section prior to the title track like he normally does), so I found it only fitting that "Easter" include Hogarth's contribution on keyboards. Up until the Anoraknophobia tour, Hogarth played the synth parts during the chorus and the synth solo prior to Rothery's guitar solo. He really should've done that at the convention, but he didn't. I actually miss that little synth during the chorus.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 12:38
Originally posted by Jake Kobrin Jake Kobrin wrote:

Can someone please help me get into this band??? I own both S f a J's T and Misplaced Childhood (an Austrian version with Austrian and German tour dates on it... Tongue ). I find the emotion to be quite... forced... and campy in a way. (Actually I find them to be blatantly cheesy.) The problem is that I'm not someone that gravitates towards lyrics at all and they are essentially a vocal-centric band and the instrumentation isn't quite interesting enough to pull me in. Also I'm not to fond of the Fish's voice (and neither am I too fond of Peter Gabriel's Wink)

It's a shame because the album artwork is damn cool... Wink

I love Misplaced and CaS, but I do find the vocals on the first two to be a bit grating for me. I do see your point, though. I think that's one reason I tend to gravitate towards the Hogarth because (to me) the emotion seems more natural. It's too bad that the Brave Live 2002 DVD is out of print because aside of being right there at a live performance, this DVD really shows Hogarth in his element and full of emotion.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 123>