Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 10:49
Cry Fish to do one more album/tour and that`s IT, no more...Cry
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 11:50
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Cry Fish to do one more album/tour and that`s IT, no more...Cry

I wouldn't worry, there were other artists that said it's their last work/album and they changed their minds and came back.

But then again, who knows...

Edited by Cristi - January 21 2015 at 11:51
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 12:46
I think this really is the end of the road. The simple fact is that his voice gets shot to pieces far too easily now, and his general health is, I believe, not particularly good as a result of years of abusing his body.

Let's hope for a true Fish masterpiece and a great four to give him a massive send off.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 13:31
Clutching at Straws still blows me away. I don't think post '80s Marillion can touch it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 02:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think this really is the end of the road. The simple fact is that his voice gets shot to pieces far too easily now, and his general health is, I believe, not particularly good as a result of years of abusing his body.

I did not know he was in bad health Unhappy, dare I ask how he abused his body?

anyway, his last album was great, I am sure he will deliver some good music in the future, I've never been disappointed by any of his albums.
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 05:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I did not know he was in bad health Unhappy, dare I ask how he abused his body?
anyway, his last album was great, I am sure he will deliver some good music in the future, I've never been disappointed by any of his albums.

not quite sure if "abusing his body" is really the right term nowadays, but if you followed his newsletters and entries on Facebook over the last years it's quite obvious that he drank a lot in former years.

Add to that the two operations he had already on his vocal chords and the laryngitis he gets way too often  (and caused the massive delays at the last tour) it's understandable he plans to stop that circus.

One more album in 2016, moving to Germany in 2017 and then writing books, writing lyrics for others and an occasional gig from time to time in a small venue, that's the future he sees for himself :)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 06:25

I did not know he was in bad health Unhappy, dare I ask how he abused his body

Booze. Fags. Joints. Other more entertaining activities.

It's rock & roll (man)!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 06:28

It's rock & roll (man)!

see, I did not know that... Embarrassed
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 04:02

It's rock & roll (man)!

see, I did not know that... Embarrassed

add to that two ex-wifes and a canceled third marriage after sending out the invites  ;)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 16:18

It's rock & roll (man)!

Steve, fags in the US does not mean cigs as it does in the UK....just sayin Embarrassed LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 16:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's rock & roll (man)!

Steve, fags in the US does not mean cigs as it does in the UK....just sayin Embarrassed LOL

Aha......d'oh!

Talking of fags (the smoking kind! ), I am now only a couple of weeks away from the first anniversary of giving up the demon weed.

Do I miss them? Do I miss them? Well, no, only when I breathe, really.........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:20

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's rock & roll (man)!

Aha......d'oh!

Talking of fags (the smoking kind! ), I am now only a couple of weeks away from the first anniversary of giving up the demon weed.

Do I miss them? Do I miss them? Well, no, only when I breathe, really.........

Excellent!! Super good for you my friend ClapClap.....I never did smoke but my father did and my mother and father-in-law both smoked like chimney's, hence my wife has very bad asthma which I feel came from the 2nd hand smoke in her house growing up.

Weed is ok though, since it is legal here in Washington state Thumbs Down LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:47
yeah Fish was a hell of a party DEAMON... his last album is superb is greatest masterpiece of his solo years, of his years in Marillion the two fav`s of mine are: Fugazi/Misplaced Childhood. the one downside is the lack of a full fish era live album the tour I`d like to have would be the Misplaced tour... but it will never see the light of dayCryCryCry but there`s the patchy live one meaning not full shows...Ouch   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 12:21
I came very early , Alas I was premature, but also alas I came very late......................To Fish.   Because of a very wise wide boy,  a prog rock friend aficionado  named John ( He wrote Horror short stories), I bought Script for a Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood in the 80's....I felt it was all so sad,Cry and I could not hang with the emotion... (Yes, I know... an early prog rock mistake on my part)Ouch  
Anyway,  I recently noticed my husband was up to his neck in IQ and other neo-prog bands and I recommended some Marillion...He prefers live concert DVD's to Studio CD's and so he purchased " Live at Loreley" DVD for X-Mas...Long Story shorter...We both fell in love with Fish...   ( Can you blame me for falling in love with such a giant, magnificent,  emotive harlequin man?)Tongue

I had no idea the Fish I was listening to in 1984- 1988 was so majestically magnificent and, and, HUGE.Clap GIANTIC,  personal, and emotional, and Caring without all that nasty Emo aftertaste.. Yech!. ( I hate Screamo-HipHop-Up your ass thru your ears country and Rap)  Forgive my French.............I envy everyone who saw Marillion in the early days.  

If you saw Marillion with Fish....Please share your concert stories...Because without your stories... I have nothing!  You people are the neo prog rock chroniclers of our times...  Confess! Confess..........It's Your DUTY!
''

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 18 2015 at 13:12
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 09:44
I'd always wanted to attend a Marillion Weekend but the cost has made it a no-no. Even the prospect of seeing the band perform Marbles in its entirety was not enough to sway me. £125 plus booking fee each for me and the missus, plus travel costs, hotel accommodation and copious amounts of beer = too expensive.

However all is not lost . They are now selling day tickets so I will be going to the ball after all. £45 each for the tickets, one night's accommodation and copious amounts of beer is much better!! Honestly I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this. Marbles is one of the greatest albums of all time (by anybody). I can't wait.

Rest assured I will return next week with a full write up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 12:02
^Please do so Roj, I fear Marillion is one of the bands I may never see living here in the US. So expensive to travel here from the UK, I hope one day. I keep thinking I should go to Montreal for Marillion Weekend..
I am happy I got to see Pete with Transatlantic last year, that was the highlight of the show, also seeing Roine and getting his autograph on the LP.

Have fun!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 06:38
Sorry, it's taken a few days.  What an amazing gig on the saturday of the Marillion weekend.  One of my favourite albums of all-time played in it's entirety, I couldn't have asked for more.  A superlative performance.  All the band in fabulous form, and abolutely perfect sound.

A fabulous night, even the expensive beer prices couldn't put me off Wink.  Honestly, one of my best ever gigs.  I've seen hundreds over the years and this was right up there.  The fourth time I've seen the band recently and this was head and shoulders above the others.

Whilst the entire set was fantastic, the standout for me (not surprisingly) was Ocean Cloud.  H was almost beyond words, such passion and emotion.  Rothery's guitarwork mindblowing and I had goosebumps almost throughout this epic track.  The ovation at the end of Ocean Cloud was incredible, it must have gone on or over 5 minutes.  The crowd just wouldn't stop.  They were bowled over, as were the band at the reaction.

To top that, after all of Marbles what do they serve up as the first encore?  Out Of This World - only my second favourite Marillion track Smile.  Simply sublime.  And then the second encore?  King, my third favourite Marillion track.  Well blow me down with a feather.  And then to finish, STCBM title track, already becoming a Marillion classic.

I'm not great at reviews but honestly I couldn't find the words to do it justice.  Roll on 2017!!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:03
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Sorry, it's taken a few days.  What an amazing gig on the saturday of the Marillion weekend.  One of my favourite albums of all-time played in it's entirety, I couldn't have asked for more.  A superlative performance.  All the band in fabulous form, and abolutely perfect sound.

A fabulous night, even the expensive beer prices couldn't put me off Wink.  Honestly, one of my best ever gigs.  I've seen hundreds over the years and this was right up there.  The fourth time I've seen the band recently and this was head and shoulders above the others.

Whilst the entire set was fantastic, the standout for me (not surprisingly) was Ocean Cloud.  H was almost beyond words, such passion and emotion.  Rothery's guitarwork mindblowing and I had goosebumps almost throughout this epic track.  The ovation at the end of Ocean Cloud was incredible, it must have gone on or over 5 minutes.  The crowd just wouldn't stop.  They were bowled over, as were the band at the reaction.

To top that, after all of Marbles what do they serve up as the first encore?  Out Of This World - only my second favourite Marillion track Smile.  Simply sublime.  And then the second encore?  King, my third favourite Marillion track.  Well blow me down with a feather.  And then to finish, STCBM title track, already becoming a Marillion classic.

I'm not great at reviews but honestly I couldn't find the words to do it justice.  Roll on 2017!!

I call that doing more than justice - I found it a lovely short review. Glad you enjoyed, Rog.

I am hoping to be able to make a weekend before they cease, but, in all honesty, that will not happen whilst we have our caring responsibilities.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 06:09
Popping in from a long break to note the latest news from Fish about his retirement plans. Sad to see the big guy retire, but if he thinks the well's about to go dry it's probably best for his legacy to go out on a high rather than put out albums below the high standards his recent work has set or putting on gigs he's not satisfied with.

The remaster plans I find particularly interesting in terms of what order things are coming out in, with Sunsets On Empire to Field of Crows coming out first and then Internal Exile to Suits trailing them later. I think it's definitely an example of Fish putting his best foot forward here - I always thought his solo career didn't really catch fire creatively until Sunsets and I suspect I'm not the only one. (There's some - not me - who'll fight the corner of Vigil In a Wilderness of Mirrors, but that one doesn't seem to be up for this remaster treatment; maybe there's rights issues getting in the way of it.)
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 19:48
It's been a bit, but a couple of weeks removed from my 4th Marillion weekend in Montreal. By far the best one since the 2009 convention. The band was on fire all weekend long and Marbles live on Saturday night was phenomenal. Had the pleasure of staying with Steve (Progfan1958) and his lovely wife Denise in their quaint Montreal cottage. Such a special time.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 123>