Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 08:04
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

It's been a bit, but a couple of weeks removed from my 4th Marillion weekend in Montreal. By far the best one since the 2009 convention. The band was on fire all weekend long and Marbles live on Saturday night was phenomenal. Had the pleasure of staying with Steve (Progfan1958) and his lovely wife Denise in their quaint Montreal cottage. Such a special time.

E

Great to hear you had such a special weekend.  I was fortunate enough to see the Marbles performance at the UK weekend.  A seriously moving concert.  I just love the Marbles album and to witness the full thing live was something I'll never forget.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 11:36
Just pre-ordered via pledge on PledgeMusic, Marillion album 18, supposedly due out early 2016. I ordered the band signed limited edition vinyl version, only 500 will be issued and about 137 are left as of right now.

Looks like all other formats are fully available, many to choose from.

Cheers
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Just pre-ordered via pledge on PledgeMusic, Marillion album 18, supposedly due out early 2016. I ordered the band signed limited edition vinyl version, only 500 will be issued and about 137 are left as of right now.

Looks like all other formats are fully available, many to choose from.

Cheers

I will be pre-ordering myself later, Jose
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 13:35
Mid 2016 release I have also read....Cry

I hope you are well Steve!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 14:00

I'm good, my friend.

I have a good feeling about the next album. The band are on a great roll of creativity.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 17:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm good, my friend.

I have a good feeling about the next album. The band are on a great roll of creativity.

I very much agree.....the interview by Tom Robinson shows them on "same page".....I just hope this extensive tour find them in Seattle next year....The one band I have not seen live Cry
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 06:27
Album 18 preordered through the Pledge Music thingy.

I ordered the signed copy of the standard cd, which, at £20, struck me as being pretty good value.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 08:59
Not to start trouble.....but why were all the other Marillion threads by Steve G closed recently....I mean there are many multiple threads on other bands that have never been closed....what's the deal? Is there something sacrosanct about Marillion threads?
I would have had just one poll not multiple ones like SteveG, but I still don''t see why they were closed when Micky was allowed to start a whole crap load of poll threads recently? ( I did enjoy those polls...for the most part).
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 13:50
^No sweat Doc. The admin didn't have the courtesy of contacting me before locking the threads. It's petty and probably demonstrates how the site will be run from now on. No surprise there, to be honest. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:11
How about we Marillion fans get this thread moving again properly?

I will start off. As I said before, I have preordered the new album, and have very high hopes for it. If you haven't watched the promo video for it yet, do so, because it is rather hilarious. You can see it on the Marillion website.

STCBM is a fantastic album. Let's hope this one is even better, and the Pledge Musoc campaign is being used to widen the resulting tour to go to places not seen before, or for a long time, so that should be fantastic.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:32
Marillion have definitely been my band of the year in terms of album purchases. It's great discovering a band that has a vast back catalogue you can collect over a period of months and/or years. My first Marillion album was Marbles, purchased last June. This year so far I've added Brave, Anoraknophobia, Sounds That Can't Be Made and Holidays in Eden to my collection. All absolutely magnificent albums. And still plenty more left to collect. Thinking of going for either Seasons End, Radiation or Afraid of Sunlight next. But my Marillion journey is well underway.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^No sweat Doc. The admin didn't have the courtesy of contacting me before locking the threads. It's petty and probably demonstrates how the site will be run from now on. No surprise there, to be honest. 

Ok...but I simply don't get it. And they should have contacted you first....that speaks volumes about the people in charge here.
Disapprove
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ok...but I simply don't get it. And they should have contacted you first....that speaks volumes about the people in charge here.
Disapprove
Well, I guess the new admin from Japan didn't realize that when you lock one thread, another will get hijacked, like this one is now! LOLLOL

Edited by SteveG - September 10 2015 at 14:53
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Marillion have definitely been my band of the year in terms of album purchases. It's great discovering a band that has a vast back catalogue you can collect over a period of months and/or years. My first Marillion album was Marbles, purchased last June. This year so far I've added Brave, Anoraknophobia, Sounds That Can't Be Made and Holidays in Eden to my collection. All absolutely magnificent albums. And still plenty more left to collect. Thinking of going for either Seasons End, Radiation or Afraid of Sunlight next. But my Marillion journey is well underway.

All three you are thinking of getting are must buys.

Seasons End starts with the biggest bang of all time with King Of Sunset Town, and also has Easter, which has quite the most gorgeous Rothery solo. It was the album which convinced us fans that the band had a future after Fish leaving.

Radiation is a far better album than detractors would have you believe. It is dark, and extremely thoughtful. Get the new remastered version.

Afraid of Sunlight is an exceptional piece of work, with every single track a classic. It has to be in every single prog fan's collection, let alone a Marillion fan.

Glad you are enjoying. Let us know what you think.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:01

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Disapprove

Well, I guess the new admin from Japan didn't realize that when you lock one thread, another will get hijacked, like this one is now! LOLLOL

Steve. I don't want this thread "hijacked", as you put it. I have contributed to this thread since Eric started it, and feel rather protective towards it.

I can understand your frustration at your threads being locked.

However, the point of my comment after was to suggest you place your clear enthusiasm for the band into this thread. Let us make it the best thread on the site once again.

Let us feel the love
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:09
^Well put Steve, I was only trying to make a point without really derailing your discussion.

So in the spirit of Marillion love, let me say that I can't wait for the new album! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:35
The promo video is pretty funny, I also really like the interview of the band by Tom Robinson. We have a long time before the release of this album, but I am hoping, rather I know, it will be an excellent release.

STCBM is a masterful album, the music is so engaging and the lyrics are stellar. Lately I have really been enjoying TSE, for me Estonia is so hauntingly good.

And I so agree about Radiation, I have the remixed 2013 blue vinyl limited edition with the Nuke etching on side 4......The analog mix is outstanding, really pushes their sound so forward I love it.

I am hoping with all my fingers crossed they make it to Seattle next year
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:42
^Yes, the new album is way in the future, but I'm really curious to see if the group take the musical vibe from STCBM and take it to another level or go in a different direction entirely. You just don't know with this group.
Radiation is a terrific remix that could have used just a few seconds of editing to get rid of same rough transitions on two songs, I think, and it would be absolutely perfect. I'm not complaining as the remix is an incredible improvement over the first edition.

Edited by SteveG - September 10 2015 at 15:43
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:44

The promo video is pretty funny, I also really like the interview of the band by Tom Robinson. We have a long time before the release of this album, but I am hoping, rather I know, it will be an excellent release.

STCBM is a masterful album, the music is so engaging and the lyrics are stellar. Lately I have really been enjoying TSE, for me Estonia is so hauntingly good.

And I so agree about Radiation, I have the remixed 2013 blue vinyl limited edition with the Nuke etching on side 4......The analog mix is outstanding, really pushes their sound so forward I love it.

I am hoping with all my fingers crossed they make it to Seattle next year

Because of my earlier post, responding to Roe Dent, I put on the remaster of Radiation. It is amazing just how much of an improvement in sound it brings, and how much more alive the music sounds.

I think I have said before that I was lucky enough to get an advanced listen to the original recording, because it was mixed in my old home town, Oswestry, by Phil Beaumont. He was kind enough to let me into the studio. That notwithstanding, the decision by the band to remix was absolutely the correct one, and I am enjoying revisiting a very classy album.

Your description of Estonia, Jose, is spot on. Hauntingly good it most certainly is, and that TSE album was incredibly important, because it proved that the band could not only survive, but artistically prosper, without the backing of a big label. The title track remains one of the finest pieces of music I have ever heard.

I hope you get to see them in Seattle. The last four was simply incredible.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 15:51
It's incredible to me how this band have managed to stay fresh sounding and engaging after so many albums, live albums and the well known transition from Fish to H. Just incredible. I can only see RUSH as a rival in this area.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 123>