Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:56
I started getting defensive when my joke misfired.
But that's all water on the bridge now.

I think I'm not the only Marillion fan that wants to hear Steve R. play those nifty solo's or hear Ian have a go at it, like on Interior Lulu or Ocean Cloud.
Also synthsolos like on This Strange Engine.
At least that's what I keep hoping for.

But instead they chose this Radiohead/Steve Wilson kind of atmospheric prog with too much lyrics and too little music.

I mentioned Neverland before. I find it an awful song. A terrible ending to a great album. At least Steve R. Plays really nice. More of a leadguitar than sologuitar but hey, it's close enough.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 21:57
You probably just need a break, Kingsnake.

I remember buying Radiation on the day of release and selling it back the very next day (Huge disappointement at the time)...didn't listen to them for some years then sometimes in 2005 the boys were in town and decided to go see them...was my first listen of the Marbles material and was strongly blown away...back on the train since then.

Retry the post-marbles albums in a few years...who knows.

Edited by Barbu - October 31 2016 at 21:59
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 23:26
Just cuz...

I was at a record store today and they had both the regular CD and the "Ultimate Edition" of FEAR.  I did not buy either one.  I haven't heard it, and I couldn't bring myself to buy it "sight unseen" (as it were).

I bought each release from Seasons End through Radiation upon release (and the earlier ones before that).  But I just didn't feel the desire to continue on with them.  I did finally buy Marbles a few years ago (the double disc version) but honestly couldn't get in to it.  And I bought Sounds That Can't Be Made soon upon its release, but again never really got in to it.  (Is it wrong that "Pour My Love" is my favorite song from that album?)  But I am with Kingsnake in that the music is just too often disappointing.

That being said, the last time I listened to Radiation I rather enjoyed it!  Much more than I did when it was released.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 00:43
What I have to think of relating to Marillion is if it weren't for the bands' early releases would I pick up a copy of Hogarth's Marillion today and love it? The answer is no. I loved Marillion during its Fish era as the music was theatrical, emotive and had a raw power to it that blew me away. Fish left and "Seasons End" was released with Hogarth and I loved that album although I was disappointed that Fish had left the band. I held on until "Brave". After "Brave" I started to find Hogarth extremely annoying as all the albums started to sound the same. Hogarth continued weeping into the microphone and I got to the stage where hearing him made me want to pull my hair out. I still collected all of the Marillion albums up until "Marbles" but from that time I haven't purchased a Marillion album although I've heard most of them.
For me they can't find another gear and Hogarth continues to irritate all kinds of hell out of me. I have tried to justify to myself that I should still enjoy a band that I once loved but justify all I might I can't get around the fact that I have grown to almost intensely dislike the band and the primary reason for that is Hogarth. I really enjoy "Edison's Children" which isn't Marillion but it due to the two Marillion band members making up the core it is related. If Hogarth joined Edison's Children then I would ditch that collaboration as well I guess.
For me the power has gone from the band - it left a while ago. Hogarth cries all the time - he doesn't have a range of emotion in his voice beyond angst and sadness. Hell, one of my favorite vocalists (one hated here on PA by many for reasons beyond me) being La Brie can do anger, pain, joy - the whole gamut of emotion whereas Hogarth is a one trick pony. Sorry all you fans out there but I can't do Marillion any longer, I can't continuously listen to all that angst any longer. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 03:27
^ and ^^ and ^^^
That's exactly my view on it all.

I was a Fish-fan and at first never bought anything Hogarth-related, until Made Again (the live cd) came out.
I bought it and thought: hey this isn't all that bad. Great drums, keyboards and guitar. Also (of course) great bass-work.

I grew to like Hogarth, but was (deep inside) a bit ashamed of his incapability to actually sing. He whispers, screeches, whines etc. And most of the time he's so off-key, it hurts.
Good thing though, the compositions are great as is the toplevel musicianship.

Take away the great music, and the spotlight for other bandmembers, and the Hogarth-band is born. And that's what happened to Marillion.

Guess I indeed need a break.

Edited by Kingsnake - November 01 2016 at 03:27
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:04
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Wow. I thought the fanboys were in this thread, not outthere remixing albums.

I was just stating what I liked about Marillion. It just happens to be a remix album. So what? That album was a huge hit amongst some. It even was a dancefloor hit.

Also I compare the current Marillion to a Hogarth solo album for a reason. And I stated that reason above. Someone asked me why I consider the new Marillion album more as a Hogarthband album.

Also referring to me in third person instead of adressing me is plain rude.

Sorry not referring to you in the 3rd at all....This is a forum of many and I am simply stating to all, including you, that I did not get your post/joke whatever. Re-read your initial post, I mean really who were YOU talking to?? Confused
You listed Marillion as "the Steve Hogarth Band", I don't see where anyone asked you that? Don't get me wrong, in some ways I agree with you that a lot of what is going on in Marillion is influenced by H, and it seems the rest of the band is fine with that.

Also you are stating more about what you don't like about Marillion, which is perfectly fine, no issue at all. But we don't have to agree with you in anyway, we all have our own opinions.

Again, I don't compare solo releases to a band release, but that is just me, I think most would say "my solo release has nothing to do with my main band releases"....You seem to do that and that is fine also. I think it is a tad strange, again only me.

As lazland (Steve) stated, there are very good reasons why FEAR will never be a top 100 prog album but for me those lists can be hogwash for the most part. The only list that matters is MY playlist and FEAR is in it, for very good reasons.

I don't like all Marillion albums, but I like/love most of their albums and for me there are very good reasons why they hit my sweet spot. They pretty much cover all things I like in a band.....I did not hear any Marillion till around the late 80's and really did not get into them heavy till probably 1999-2000 and really hit me around 2005.
It's the same with me and Genesis, my 2nd all time fav band, I never got into them till Seconds Out....After that it was all up hill.

You don't have to be a fanatic to like what a band does.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 03:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Wow. I thought the fanboys were in this thread, not outthere remixing albums.

I was just stating what I liked about Marillion. It just happens to be a remix album. So what? That album was a huge hit amongst some. It even was a dancefloor hit.

Also I compare the current Marillion to a Hogarth solo album for a reason. And I stated that reason above. Someone asked me why I consider the new Marillion album more as a Hogarthband album.

Also referring to me in third person instead of adressing me is plain rude.

Sorry not referring to you in the 3rd at all....This is a forum of many and I am simply stating to all, including you, that I did not get your post/joke whatever. Re-read your initial post, I mean really who were YOU talking to?? Confused
You listed Marillion as "the Steve Hogarth Band", I don't see where anyone asked you that? Don't get me wrong, in some ways I agree with you that a lot of what is going on in Marillion is influenced by H, and it seems the rest of the band is fine with that.

Also you are stating more about what you don't like about Marillion, which is perfectly fine, no issue at all. But we don't have to agree with you in anyway, we all have our own opinions.

Again, I don't compare solo releases to a band release, but that is just me, I think most would say "my solo release has nothing to do with my main band releases"....You seem to do that and that is fine also. I think it is a tad strange, again only me.

As lazland (Steve) stated, there are very good reasons why FEAR will never be a top 100 prog album but for me those lists can be hogwash for the most part. The only list that matters is MY playlist and FEAR is in it, for very good reasons.

I think it's really important to bring up Ice Scream Genius when I discuss what happened to Marillion the past decade.

In my opinion they turned from democratic rock band to back-up of a singer.
But that's just my point of view.

Funny thing though, is that recent Steve Rothery solo albums did not really move me.
But the thing is, a band does what a band does, and can't please anyone.
I'm glad they still have a huge fanbase, and I have fond memories of the H-era albums up to Marbles.
But after three (!!!) disappointing albums (sans Less is More), it's really over for me.

The weakest thing about modern Marillion (Hogarth's voice) is their full-on trademark.
Too bad, but maybe Rothery will release a soloabum (like Wishing Tree) wich I will enjoy. We'll see.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 07:45
Have you heard the Rocket Moth album?  It is from the people who brought you the Wishing Tree sans Rothery.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 08:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you heard the Rocket Moth album?  It is from the people who brought you the Wishing Tree sans Rothery.

That can be quite interesting. I will search for it. Thanks.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 07:07
After a month or two of listening to FEAR, my conclusion is I like it a lot, although I have to say I do prefer the previous two.  HITR and STCBM are two of my favourite releases of theirs.

I know there's a lot of people who think the band really ceased to be when Fish left.  Personally, I take pretty much the opposite view.  I try to forget about the Fish era, it's another time, another band almost, and a distinctly inferior one at that, in my opinion.  Like Steve, I also saw the band several times before they signed a record deal.  At that time they were one of the few bands even playing prog rock, at the forefront of the "prog rock revival".  Even at that time they were one of my favourite bands.  I actually had their fantastic cassette album (which is probably worth a fortune now, God knows where it ever got to Cry).  So I'm not having a pop here, I'm giving my view too, having been there right at the start.  Suffice to say, the thought of the band going through Garden Party or Sugar Mice again live on tour is not really an appealing one to me.  There's plenty of H-era material to go at, after all.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 13:21
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

After a month or two of listening to FEAR, my conclusion is I like it a lot, although I have to say I do prefer the previous two.  HITR and STCBM are two of my favourite releases of theirs.

I know there's a lot of people who think the band really ceased to be when Fish left.  Personally, I take pretty much the opposite view.  I try to forget about the Fish era, it's another time, another band almost, and a distinctly inferior one at that, in my opinion.  Like Steve, I also saw the band several times before they signed a record deal.  At that time they were one of the few bands even playing prog rock, at the forefront of the "prog rock revival".  Even at that time they were one of my favourite bands.  I actually had their fantastic cassette album (which is probably worth a fortune now, God knows where it ever got to Cry).  So I'm not having a pop here, I'm giving my view too, having been there right at the start.  Suffice to say, the thought of the band going through Garden Party or Sugar Mice again live on tour is not really an appealing one to me.  There's plenty of H-era material to go at, after all.

ClapClap
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 10:18

Just mentally and that didn't work so well.   

The Invisible Man
?
Living in FEAR
Power
Afraid of Sunlight
The New Kings
?
Eldorado
Sugar Mice
Easter
Three-minute Boy

First song and last 4 are for sure. The other 4 songs were played but I probably have the order messed up. Sang first verse of The Doors' Riders of the Storm. I didn't know the name of the 2nd song and I think I might be missing 1 or 2 in the middle.

Got it pretty close:

The Invisible Man
Power
Living in FEAR
Wave
Mad
Afraid of Sunlight
The New Kings (I -IV)
Neverland
Eldorado (I-V)
Sugar Mice
Easter
Three-minute Boy

Apologies for the insanely late response to this LOL.

I can certainly do without Sugar Mice (how about something like Man From The Planet Marzipan instead?) but other than that if they stick to that setlist on the UK tour I won't have any complaints.....

Edited by Roj - November 25 2016 at 10:19
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 08:45
Oh well, a tad later than planned, owing to one hell of a week's work, here is the setlist from the gig at Manchester Academy that Roj & I attended on Monday (we did not get to meet, unfortunately, owing to hellish congestion in the city centre - maybe another day!!):

The Invisible Man
Power
Sounds That Can't Be Made
Living In Fear
Sugar Mice
The New Kings
Easter
Man of a Thousand Faces
King
Neverland

Encore
El Dorado

Encore 2
This Strange Engine

I have been seeing this fine band live right from the very outset. My first time was The Marquee in those heady days when Market Square Heroes was released. They simply get better and better. Monday's gig was easily in my top five, and, by God, the reaction to the band from a sellout crowd was phenomenal. It was very directly reciprocated by a band clearly enjoying their craft immensely. I don't think I have ever seen Rothery smile so much in my lifeApprove

I thought the setlist was absolutely appropriate, a good mix of old and new.

Highlights? Well, there were many, but the performance of Invisible Man, which began with a screen video of Hogarth singing to us before the great man appeared "in the flesh", was incredibly powerful.

Sugar Mice, the sole track from the Dick years, has, ironically, given the real personal expressions by its writer on this and the parent album, become a track which Hogarth has made his very own.

Easter was a massive singalong fest. The band were visibly emotional during this.

The new tracks came across extremely well live. El Dorado was a fine encore, and this and the other two tracks played were performed with an incredible amount of passion, virtuosity, and powerful vibes. The New Kings introduction by h fitted in well, actually, with the narratives provided for Man of a Thousand Faces (it was simply great to hear this live again) and King.

Rothery was on sublime form, Moseley holds it all together live with deceptive underplay, because he really can hot it loud, Trewavas played beautifully, and Kelly was simply everywhere, with some marvellous soundscapes, effects, and sounds washing over us. As for Steve Hogarth, he has us all in the palm of his hands, really, quite extraordinary, and his voice was in absolutely fine fettle.

I only really a one quibble, and that is I would rather have heard White Paper over Power, but this is really a very minor moan when you consider just how good this gig was.

It is fair to say we all went away very happy. I was standing by a couple for most of the night, and the lady was at her first gig. She was deeply impressed, and her feller looked like a dog with three dicks!!LOL On the way to the gig, I met a Scouser by the name of Danny who lives in Norway, and travelled to the city especially for the gig. I really appreciated his and Dave's company in the queue to get in. Also, mention, and thanks for the beer, must go to Brian & Steve who were staying in the same hotel as I. Thanks all, your company was most welcome.

A great night. See the next post for even more exciting Marillion news.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 08:50
The band have announced that they are to play The Royal Albert Hall on 13 October 2017. Wow!!Clap

Tickets go on sale this Monday coming at midday. I will certainly be there to see the website crashLOL

I would hurry if you want to go. There is bound to be huge interest, and my understanding from the Marillion forum is that there are some 3,500 available. The most expensive seat is £75, whilst, from memory, the cheapest s £35, although please check, because I might be wrong about that.

The band have always wanted to play at this incredible venue. Count me in!! For details, go to the band's Facebook page.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 08:52
Oh, forgot to mention, you can, as ever, purchase gigs from the band's website of the current tour. I am downloading, as we speak, the Manchester gig for the princely sum of £4.99.

An absolute snip!

Edited by lazland - December 03 2016 at 04:56
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:37
Royal Albert Hall tickets sold out within five minutes.

No, I didn't get one
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:52
^How sad, Laz. The Albert Hall adds so much class and prestige to many a great band that has performed there. A wonderful old venue and one of my favs in the UK. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 09:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I have been seeing this fine band live right from the very outset. My first time was The Marquee in those heady days when Market Square Heroes was released. They simply get better and better. 

As usual.......I hate you! Cry
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 07:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Oh well, a tad later than planned, owing to one hell of a week's work, here is the setlist from the gig at Manchester Academy that Roj & I attended on Monday (we did not get to meet, unfortunately, owing to hellish congestion in the city centre - maybe another day!!):

The Invisible Man
Power
Sounds That Can't Be Made
Living In Fear
Sugar Mice
The New Kings
Easter
Man of a Thousand Faces
King
Neverland

Encore
El Dorado

Encore 2
This Strange Engine

I have been seeing this fine band live right from the very outset. My first time was The Marquee in those heady days when Market Square Heroes was released. They simply get better and better. Monday's gig was easily in my top five, and, by God, the reaction to the band from a sellout crowd was phenomenal. It was very directly reciprocated by a band clearly enjoying their craft immensely. I don't think I have ever seen Rothery smile so much in my lifeApprove

I thought the setlist was absolutely appropriate, a good mix of old and new.

Highlights? Well, there were many, but the performance of Invisible Man, which began with a screen video of Hogarth singing to us before the great man appeared "in the flesh", was incredibly powerful.

Sugar Mice, the sole track from the Dick years, has, ironically, given the real personal expressions by its writer on this and the parent album, become a track which Hogarth has made his very own.

Easter was a massive singalong fest. The band were visibly emotional during this.

The new tracks came across extremely well live. El Dorado was a fine encore, and this and the other two tracks played were performed with an incredible amount of passion, virtuosity, and powerful vibes. The New Kings introduction by h fitted in well, actually, with the narratives provided for Man of a Thousand Faces (it was simply great to hear this live again) and King.

Rothery was on sublime form, Moseley holds it all together live with deceptive underplay, because he really can hot it loud, Trewavas played beautifully, and Kelly was simply everywhere, with some marvellous soundscapes, effects, and sounds washing over us. As for Steve Hogarth, he has us all in the palm of his hands, really, quite extraordinary, and his voice was in absolutely fine fettle.

I only really a one quibble, and that is I would rather have heard White Paper over Power, but this is really a very minor moan when you consider just how good this gig was.

It is fair to say we all went away very happy. I was standing by a couple for most of the night, and the lady was at her first gig. She was deeply impressed, and her feller looked like a dog with three dicks!!LOL On the way to the gig, I met a Scouser by the name of Danny who lives in Norway, and travelled to the city especially for the gig. I really appreciated his and Dave's company in the queue to get in. Also, mention, and thanks for the beer, must go to Brian & Steve who were staying in the same hotel as I. Thanks all, your company was most welcome.

A great night. See the next post for even more exciting Marillion news.

A beautiful post Steve Clapand much more eloquent than I could ever muster, so I won't bother LOL.

It was a shame we didn't meet, the horror that is Manchester traffic put paid to that, hence the missus and I got there so late John Wesley was about to head to the bar Wink.  I totally agree on The Invisible Man, the intro with h on the big screen was fantastic.  A great gig, a superb blend of old and new songs, excellent sound, euphoric atmosphere and a great performance by the band.

Perhaps next time Steve?

Incidentally, I see the Royal Albert Hall gig sold out in about 10 seconds!! The band wanted to do additional dates there I understand but alas the powers that be at the RAH said sorry, no more.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 07:32
FEAR still in outstanding awesome amazingly brilliant imho 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 123>