Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 14:52
I read an article on my phone about the UK government mistakenly "bailing out" Marillion instead of bailing out a construction company called Carillion.  I think that it was just a parody or for humor, but I wasn't really sure.  Has anybody else seen this article or heard this story?

Edited by rushfan4 - January 17 2018 at 14:55
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 00:39
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I read an article on my phone about the UK government mistakenly "bailing out" Marillion instead of bailing out a construction company called Carillion.  I think that it was just a parody or for humor, but I wasn't really sure.  Has anybody else seen this article or heard this story?

Haven't seen it, but I would love it if it had been in The Guardian newspaper, nicknamed The Grauniad over here owing to its repeated misspellings.

Tell you what, though. I would rather the boys in charge than the shower we are putting up with at the moment.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 19:40
I've been binge listening to Fish-era Marillion for a month now.... I think Clutching At Straws is a masterpiece. Fish's singing is at its peak too. If they could only have squeezed out one or two more albums with him. Vigil in the Wilderness of Mirrors is a pretty good substitute though, not the same ethereal prog vibe as his albums with Marillion though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:08

They deserve all the money........I mean whats a Carillion?? LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:15
Also glad to see Brave getting a reissue, going for the 5-LP box set. The 2013 EMI reissue is one of my best sounding records hands down, truly a magical record. I'm expecting this one will be similar and the live tracks are a nice addition.

BRAVE DELUXE VINYL BOX SET
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 09:36

http://newsthump.com/2018/01/15/uk-construction-industry-in-crisis-after-government-mistakenly-bails-out-marillion/

LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 10:21
First post on here for a little while, and this is a plug for the new Kino album, featuring Mr Trewavas.

It has been 13 years since the debut, and, listening to it for the first time today, I can say it has been well worth the wait.

Extremely good power prog/pop.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 19:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Also glad to see Brave getting a reissue, going for the 5-LP box set. The 2013 EMI reissue is one of my best sounding records hands down, truly a magical record. I'm expecting this one will be similar and the live tracks are a nice addition.

What 2013 reissue are you referring to? Is it a remaster or a reissue of the original mix of the album? I own both of course as Brave is one of my favorites.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 01 2018 at 19:59
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 20:23
I have a bit of a confessional to make: I prefer the H-era to the Fish era. There are many reasons why. Of course, it’s unfair to pit the two eras against each other in the first place since they are two very different bands and that H has spent much more time creating music with them than Fish ever did. My favorite Marillion album is Brave with Afraid of Sunlight and, believe it or not, This Strange Engine coming in second and third places. I felt Radiation and Marillion.com to be weak efforts. Things pick up again with Anoraknophobia and, of course, one of their best efforts, Marbles. I need to give FEAR another listen as I really liked it on first-hearing, but haven’t revisited it. Somewhere Else and Happiness Is The Road are both weak albums, although the title track to Somewhere Else is quite emotionally moving to me. The things they did with Fish, while there’s good music there, aren’t really my cup of tea as they exemplify that ‘neo-prog’ sound, which never has completely won me over, although I will say that IQ were quite fine, but, of course, IQ didn’t have Steve Rothery!

I will say that I never will consider Marillion a solid favorite as I never have liked either Fish’s or H’s vocals. I mainly turn to Marillion for the guitar work of Rothery.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 01 2018 at 20:53
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:30
Nice thread...Marillion, oh yes, I falled in love with them in the middle 80's...the closing section of Script for a Jester's tear was always just...without words. I must say that Fish era was stunning. As I write this Im listening Afraid of Sunlight album. For me the true master mind of Marillion was and is Mr. Steve Rothery, but the rest of them are great musicians too, with Fish or Hogarth. Fish was a better melody lines creator I guess, but Hogarth have some stunning pieces too. Im in a time of revalue some Hogarth era albums. I always loved Sasons End and liked much Holidays in Eden, and from the rest some things but not all. Now Im rediscovering things of Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, etc. But I think that there is so much filler for my taste on many of these albums. Songs like This strange engine, When I meet God or Interior Lulu are really great. I always thought that the progressive less influence of Mark Kelly in the songwritting (or the performing I dont really know), was moving me away a bit from the band. Anyway they are and will be one of my prog heroes. I saw them in Buenos Aires in 2014 in a great show... and Fish was in my city Santa Fe in 2005. To see him live was simply great. Marillion always in my heart. 
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 10:45
I started listening to Marillion 35 years ago and never stopped. In 1983 CHOM-FM (in Montreal, Canada) did start to play He Knows You Know on a regular basis, and I told myself "prog seems to be back". I ran to the music store to look for that new band and found out that album with its so nice artwork. Bought it immediately and loved it
Then, Fugazi came out the next year and I didn't miss the opportunity to see them live for the first time, in the old Spectrum in Montreal. This gig became famous being recorded for the "Real to Reel" live album.

Misplaced Childhood (opening for Rush) and Clutching were also 2 gigs that I did witness and enjoyed.
When H replaced Fish on vocals, it's been a shock. While Seasons End was musically a good follower to what came before, the vocals were too much different. Plus, having H signing Fish's songs on the new tour was really strange. But it was still my Marillion that I like so much and I did start to enjoy the new singer.

However, Holidays In Eden was a nightmare, and at this point, I was about to turn my back to the band.
Hopefully, the Brave album came out. Wonderful album.

Despite some weaker albums at the end of 90's, Marillion remains one of my favorite bands.
I have my picture printed on the marillion.com sleeve and my name included on Anoraknophobia, Marbles, Happiness is the Road and Sounds That Can’t Be made sleeves.

Since 2009, Marillion is including Montreal in the famous week-ends. So I've been part of this event in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. They skipped 2017 but will be back in 2019. Tickets are already in my hands.

I've been lucky enough to witness H doing some body surfing in 2009 during This Strange Engine. After he realized his musical instrument (kind of small synth used to simulate sax) was not working. At this moment, Rothery did start a solo, with his eyes closed and he didn't see H jumping in the crowd. After his solo, he opens his eyes and search for H on stage. The surprise in his face when he realized where was H..... priceless!

Over the years, I saw them live many times, including the “Los Trios Marillios” acoustic tour. I even saw them in Paris during a romantic trip. I did note while I was there with my wife that Marillion was playing a gig at the Bataclan. She knows how much I like Marillion and told me “go see them honey, I will relax and take a rest tonight, we’ve been walking 10 hours / day since the last 6 days”. And of course, I did go ! Thanks to my lovely wife.

I love the last album FEAR and will remain a fan as long as Marillion will continue to produce so great albums.

Edited by DarkTower - August 04 2018 at 10:49
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 14:42
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

What 2013 reissue are you referring to? Is it a remaster or a reissue of the original mix of the album? I own both of course as Brave is one of my favorites.
Sorry for late reply.....I don't frequent PA anymore, for obvious reasons, I come here maybe once a week.

The EMI 2013 reissue was the 1st reissue from the original issue of 1994, it was cut from the original masters and pressed by Optimal Media GmbH, it has all original artwork and gatefold cover. It's a magical pressing with dynamics and resolution beyond anything I have heard.
The 2018 5-LP box set is new mix by Steven Wilson, which I am sure is excellent, but I have not read anywhere that Steven used the original masters, he may have used digital masters. I have been waiting for the price to drop some......
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 03:53

Sorry for late reply.....I don't frequent PA anymore, for obvious reasons, I come here maybe once a week.

And sadly that's PA's loss.

Edited by SteveG - August 07 2018 at 03:53
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 15:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And sadly that's PA's loss.

Embarrassed

I think you owe me about $12,348.63 by now.......I'll send bank details.
Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 04:27
^ The check's in the mail!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 15:47
Well said, SteveG - don't know why Catcher10 isn't such a frequent visitor, as I always like his input. Did I miss some vigorous, troll-inhabited thread in recent months?

Back to Marillion - definitely going through a Fish and Hogarth-era revival at present and realising the greatness of both after years of denial that Marillion without Fish was not acceptable (as they say "What a waste of time, whoorah!")

Yesterday afternoon, I watched the whole of the 'All One Tonight' DVD and had tears in my eyes during many of the tracks. The sentiments of the 'FEAR' album, and Hogarth's stage presence, is wonderful - and reminded me of a great concert here at the Sage, Gateshead, a few months back.

Yesterday evening, I was at a Fish-era tribute at the Cluny, Newcastle, seeing StillMarillion for the first time go through all the classics, including Grendel and Market Square Heroes, to remind me how important they were to me as a young man in 1983, when neo-prog bands kept my love of prog alive when the old guard were struggling. It also reminded me how many brain cells and synapses are still in use for me to remember lyrics from the era after all these years.

I continue to dive into both eras, the first era where I'm rediscovering long forgotten gems, with the second era full of undiscovered masterpieces my stubbornness caused me to miss the first time round (Brave, Marbles etc.)

So much great music....so little time, as I tend to say these days!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 09:14
To me, Marillion is one of the few "old" bands, that are still coming up with brilliant new material. Live, they are awesome anyhow.

The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shrubbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 11:24
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

First post on here for a little while, and this is a plug for the new Kino album, featuring Mr Trewavas.

It has been 13 years since the debut, and, listening to it for the first time today, I can say it has been well worth the wait.

Extremely good power prog/pop.

Don't know if you've seen Lazland but the new Edison's Children album "The Disturbance Fields" has finally been released by Pete Trewavas and Rick Armstrong (Neil Armstrong's son) with Henry Rogers, Lisa Wetton and of course "the hat".

I see you have Edison's Children as 9.0 ... the only band that ranks that high on your list. (Even Marillion is 8.9)

Have you listened to their "Epic album #4" The Disturbance Fields yet? 

After a few listens you may have to ask yourself "Does the volume and my rating go to 11"?

It's seriously the most intense thing i've listened to since Marillion Marbles. 

Asphyxiation may be the most intense bass line ever, certainly the best since Transatlantic's Evermore or Quartz (Though I heard rumors that Eric Blackwood actually did the bass on Asphyxiation so not positive).

The Approaching Front/Indignation is probably the hardest driving rock song ever done by Trewavas in any band he's in Marillion-Transatlantic-Kino and in the best prog rock way. 

Haven't listened to the end enough cause I have it so that it's not on shuffle which is good because I don't get the songs all mixed up but I never make it to the end before something else comes up that has to be done. 
The concert that they did for the 50th Anniversary of Neil Armstrong was incredible especially when they played together with The Alan Parsons Project. 

Anyway it seems like you like them as much as I do and they are by far the most underrated band in prog. Nobody gives them a chance and I just cannot understand why. You're the only person I've ever seen that rates them as highly as I do. I think every Marillion/Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree fan in the world would say this is the best band they've ever heard if they would just listen to each album 3 times. The only thing I can think of its not the kinda stuff where like you listen and its instant. Like Afraid of Sunlight I had to listen to 4-5 times then it became my favorite. Same thing with most Marillion albums. Even the Leavers I had to listen to several times before it really hit me. Porcupine Tree albums the same thing. But this album once you really listen to it 3-4 times, (even though I can't seem to ever get to the end) its like an addiction.
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 12:37
^ evening, Mr Shrubbery.

I pre-ordered The Disturbance Fields as soon as I heard about it.

It is a stunning piece of work, and I will be posting a review as soon as time allows me shortly.

Of the four albums released, this is the best, which is saying something, given the quality of what went before. Incredible musicianship, stunning concept, beautifully realised.

To summarise, highly recommended to any lover of prog and classic rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 21:22
From Edison's Children I have "The Final Breath before November" and I really love the whole piece... one of my very favourite albums since 2000, along with The Whirlwind (and a few others, of course). I also have Somewhere Between Here and There, and even though I did find some nice stuff, I thought it was a bit pointless. I tried to get the debut, but it wasn't available... I think they re-released it, but haven't really tried to order it again. Now, I hope to get the new one soon too, more with these great opinions you are having.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123>