Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 01:22
^^

I absolutely love Somewhere Else as an album, and as a track... I can't put a finger on anything its done wrong.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 01:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I used to love the Fish era back in the 80s and saw the band twice at that time.  Nowadays I can't get into those Fish albums much.  But I have discovered the Hogarth era.  I started with Brave and was captivated by that album.  Really wonderful stuff.  I'm now onto my 2nd "new era" album in "Sunlight" and the jury is still out.  I'm trying to decide what my next step should be.  I love the atmosphere of Brave and the willingness to be patient.  I also love the story they wrote about recording the album, the ghosts they felt, etc.

Your next choice from the H era should probably be... MARBLES - Also insanely good.
I think you're right Joel, Marbles, or perhaps that Strange Engine one.  People tell me Seasons End is great too.  

Season's End has a couple of mindblowingly good tracks, and I highly reccomend you get it, but I will say that it is more of a straight up Rock album than prog... It has its prog moments, but off the bat its much more straight up 80's/90's rock n roll...

But its worth every penny.

So I'd say definitely get it, but Don't expect a prog masterpiece like BRAVE or MARBLES.

-Joel
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 06:53

^^

I absolutely love Somewhere Else as an album, and as a track... I can't put a finger on anything its done wrong.

The only song I can't quite get into is "The Last Century For Man". Everybody detests "Most Toys", but I like the tune.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 06:57

I used to love the Fish era back in the 80s and saw the band twice at that time.  Nowadays I can't get into those Fish albums much.  But I have discovered the Hogarth era.  I started with Brave and was captivated by that album.  Really wonderful stuff.  I'm now onto my 2nd "new era" album in "Sunlight" and the jury is still out.  I'm trying to decide what my next step should be.  I love the atmosphere of Brave and the willingness to be patient.  I also love the story they wrote about recording the album, the ghosts they felt, etc.

Your next choice from the H era should probably be... MARBLES - Also insanely good.
I think you're right Joel, Marbles, or perhaps that Strange Engine one.  People tell me Seasons End is great too.  

Season's End has a couple of mindblowingly good tracks, and I highly reccomend you get it, but I will say that it is more of a straight up Rock album than prog... It has its prog moments, but off the bat its much more straight up 80's/90's rock n roll...

But its worth every penny.

So I'd say definitely get it, but Don't expect a prog masterpiece like BRAVE or MARBLES.

-Joel

The only song that really strikes me as a straight up rock song is "Hooks In You". That's just me, though.

Seasons End sort of continues where Clutching At Straws left off. That's when the music started to change and the rest felt that Fish didn't fit in with the future plans.

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 13:31
I think that Season's End is a far better and more direct album than its predecessor, and when that opening burst gives way to Hogarth on King of Sunset Town, the true fan just knew that everything was going to be alright.

There were some interesting comments about follow ups to epic albums.

Holidays in Eden is, to me, the worse album they ever made, and certainly put a lot of people off. Good job this was followed up with Brave, one of the finest albums ever made by anyone.

I enjoyed Afraid of Sunlight, and I think it is one of my most played Marillion LPs. Certainly, I feel that one of the tests of a good work is that you will still go back to it and listen out of pleasure, rather than mere curiousity, over and over many years after the album's release. AOS passes that test in spades. Beautiful is their best single ever, a wondrous track, the tribute to Donald Campbell, Out of this World, is still played live and exceptionally, Beyond You features an exquisite Hogarth vocal, whilst King has to be one of the most epic ends to any album. It rocks with such a huge intensity.

I think Radiation is a much underrated LP, especially the recurrent Now She'll Never Know sequence. It was a great follow up to This Strange Engine, which was, of course, a seminal moment in the band's career and move to independence, both financially and creatively.

I'm sorry, but I really do not rate Somewhere Else. Of course, any follow up to the incredible Marbles was always going to be tough, and I respect the band for trying something different, but the LP is fractured, way too introspective concentrating almost entirely on Hogarth's marital problems, and I hardly play it now, aside from the title track, The Last Century for Man, and Faith, which are the album's highlights.

I am also aghast at how low the PA rating for HITR is - only 3.43? That MUST improve, because it is a superb work. I only hope that Somewhere Else was an aberration, and the acoustic album promised in the Autumn, and the main follow up next year will continue this rich vein of form.

Sorry all - I've gone on far too long there, but plenty of things to consider and discussBig smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 19:17
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think that Season's End is a far better and more direct album than its predecessor, and when that opening burst gives way to Hogarth on King of Sunset Town, the true fan just knew that everything was going to be alright.

There were some interesting comments about follow ups to epic albums.

Holidays in Eden is, to me, the worse album they ever made, and certainly put a lot of people off. Good job this was followed up with Brave, one of the finest albums ever made by anyone.

I enjoyed Afraid of Sunlight, and I think it is one of my most played Marillion LPs. Certainly, I feel that one of the tests of a good work is that you will still go back to it and listen out of pleasure, rather than mere curiousity, over and over many years after the album's release. AOS passes that test in spades. Beautiful is their best single ever, a wondrous track, the tribute to Donald Campbell, Out of this World, is still played live and exceptionally, Beyond You features an exquisite Hogarth vocal, whilst King has to be one of the most epic ends to any album. It rocks with such a huge intensity.

I think Radiation is a much underrated LP, especially the recurrent Now She'll Never Know sequence. It was a great follow up to This Strange Engine, which was, of course, a seminal moment in the band's career and move to independence, both financially and creatively.

I'm sorry, but I really do not rate Somewhere Else. Of course, any follow up to the incredible Marbles was always going to be tough, and I respect the band for trying something different, but the LP is fractured, way too introspective concentrating almost entirely on Hogarth's marital problems, and I hardly play it now, aside from the title track, The Last Century for Man, and Faith, which are the album's highlights.

I am also aghast at how low the PA rating for HITR is - only 3.43? That MUST improve, because it is a superb work. I only hope that Somewhere Else was an aberration, and the acoustic album promised in the Autumn, and the main follow up next year will continue this rich vein of form.

Sorry all - I've gone on far too long there, but plenty of things to consider and discussBig smile

Seasons End: Steve, I really wish I was around back when Seasons End came out. I've never been one to be bothered by a new singer coming into a band (for the most part), so I love to have been a part of that anticipation. That's why I think it's so brilliant to have that extended lead in for "King Of Sunset Town".

Holidays In Eden: I can certainly see where this sags between Seasons End and Brave, but I just love "Splintering Heart", "The Party" and even "Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven)". Holidays is a middle of the road album for me. Don't love it, don't hate it.

Afraid Of Sunlight: Simply brilliant. In my opinion, I think this collection is Hogarth's finest vocal performance. I'm not sure why it distinguishes itself from the others, but Hogarth just puts so much emotion and exhibits so much range. Beautiful album. And "Out Of This World" was such a highlight from the convention, as they played the old news footage of Donald Campbell's tragic attempt.

Radiation: On night 2 when the band was playing songs from each album, Hogarth referenced Radiation with a tongue-in-cheek snide, "fan favorite" comment. To be honest, I'm not sure why this disc gets so much criticism. As a whole, I like it better than either album that came before and after. "These Chains" is a great song, as is "Cathedral Wall". The latter is very sinister in feel and execution. They also did this at the convention and it friggin' rocked!

Lastly, I'm having a tough time looking forward to Less=More. I hope it hits me off guard, but I hope it doesn't take time away from an album of all new material. I'm looking forward more to the convention DVD and (hopefully) live CD.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 19:19
Listened to Radiation today: grossly underrated album.

I also had a major goosebump moment yesterday while listening to Marbles. The part right before the guitar solo on "Fantastic Place" when h observes that he "sees the island behind your tired, troubled eyes" and it goes right into the guitar solo. Chokes me up every time.

E
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 19:25
Marbles > Brave

How bout them apples?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 19:42
Not a new statement. I've heard a ton of people say it's their favorite. Can't say that I blame them.

E
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 23:50
If they're is a bomb about to dropped on Marillion appreciation, I am out of here. Shocked

Here's my Marillion story and I better make it quick:

Started off with Script, lost touch, reacquainted with Afraid, was not afraid of Brave (enjoyed it), kept following and getting their new albums ever since.  I must admit I am a bit of a lukewater fan these days.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 01:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If they're is a bomb about to dropped on Marillion appreciation, I am out of here. ShockedHere's my Marillion story and I better make it quick:Started off with Script, lost touch, reacquainted with Afraid, was not afraid of Brave (enjoyed it), kept following and getting their new albums ever since.  I must admit I am a bit of a lukewater fan these days.

Good story!

On the note os SFAJ'sT, I really didn't think it was that great.

Other than the Title track, Garden Party and Forgotten Sons, I couldn't really get into it.

-Joel
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 05:04
^^Overrated, in my opinion. Never could quite get into it, either.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 05:09
^^

Definitely overrated, but still, those 3 tracks are masterpieces.

Tonight I'm going to listen to BRAVE... Loud, with the lights off!

-Joel
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 14:41

If they're is a bomb about to dropped on Marillion appreciation, I am out of here. ShockedHere's my Marillion story and I better make it quick:Started off with Script, lost touch, reacquainted with Afraid, was not afraid of Brave (enjoyed it), kept following and getting their new albums ever since.  I must admit I am a bit of a lukewater fan these days.

Good story!

Other than the Title track, Garden Party and Forgotten Sons, I couldn't really get into it.

-Joel

Further to this, and Eric's comments, I think that people have to remember the context in which the album, and the whole new 2nd wave of prog, came about in the 80's.

The so called golden era of prog was over. Genesis had moved on to the phase which most people on this forum, but not me, utterly hated, Yes were all over the place, King Crimson was still moribund, ELP no more. I could go on, but you get my point. There was a real danger that those of us who loved 70's prog would forever be harking back to a long lost era, with nothing to replace it.

Then along comes this band, who quite deliberately made themselves sound like Gabriel ear Genesis, with an extremely charismatic face painted frontman, who told stories in both the lyrics and stage shows, and actually made a virtue of playing songs longer than three minutes. They also very succinctly echoed the trials, fears, and realities of modern life to people such as me in their late teens/early twenties, and also made a point of integrating some of the punk mentality into their ethos.

It was magical, and SFAJT epitomises that approach perfectly. It was also great musically. Chelsea Monday, Forgotten Sons, and the title track still sound fantastic, even after all these years. I had The Web on last night, and really enjoyed it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 14:43
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Listened to Radiation today: grossly underrated album.

I also had a major goosebump moment yesterday while listening to Marbles. The part right before the guitar solo on "Fantastic Place" when h observes that he "sees the island behind your tired, troubled eyes" and it goes right into the guitar solo. Chokes me up every time.

E

Whoever says that H lacks emotion really should check themselves into their nearest doctor's surgery. That passage, and the resulting guitar solo, never ever fail to move me. The same is true of Neverland, a track I feel is unparalleled in terms of sheer emotion.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 15:17
I very much agree with Lazland on the early Fish incarnation of Marillion.  I  was a fan (of the worst kind) and I went tosee them twice in 1982.  Once in a tiny club called the 'Sound Cellar' in Cambridge with probably about 40 other people.  No real stage and it was fantastic to see Fish et all up so close.  It was really prog with a bit of attitude and humour in the mix. 

Then saw them later the same year at the Limit in Sheffield with a couple of hundred I guess and the atmosphere was great and they played Grendel this time which I was hoping for.  When we were waiting for the band to go on I found I was standing right next to Fish who was chatting with another fan I doubt if he did that for much longer.  Really nice guy though. 

My entire collection is shown below.  Didn't even buy the album I don't think it did them justice.  Listening to the live versions was always preferable to me.

Help me I'm falling!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 16:07
I was hoping to get a dialogue going regarding Steve Rothery's side project band The Wishing Tree's new album Ostara.  Any interest amongst Marillion fans?  If so, please check out this neglected thread. 

Thank you,

Scott
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I was hoping to get a dialogue going regarding Steve Rothery's side project band The Wishing Tree's new album Ostara.  Any interest amongst Marillion fans?  If so, please check out this neglected thread. 

Thank you,

Scott

Hey, Scott. I've been tempted to get the new disc, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. They opened up during #2 of the Marillion convention and were pretty good. The lead singer was mesmerizing...and EASY on the eyes, too.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 20:19

Good story!

-Joel

Further to this, and Eric's comments, I think that people have to remember the context in which the album, and the whole new 2nd wave of prog, came about in the 80's.

The so called golden era of prog was over. Genesis had moved on to the phase which most people on this forum, but not me, utterly hated, Yes were all over the place, King Crimson was still moribund, ELP no more. I could go on, but you get my point. There was a real danger that those of us who loved 70's prog would forever be harking back to a long lost era, with nothing to replace it.

Then along comes this band, who quite deliberately made themselves sound like Gabriel ear Genesis, with an extremely charismatic face painted frontman, who told stories in both the lyrics and stage shows, and actually made a virtue of playing songs longer than three minutes. They also very succinctly echoed the trials, fears, and realities of modern life to people such as me in their late teens/early twenties, and also made a point of integrating some of the punk mentality into their ethos.

It was magical, and SFAJT epitomises that approach perfectly. It was also great musically. Chelsea Monday, Forgotten Sons, and the title track still sound fantastic, even after all these years. I had The Web on last night, and really enjoyed it.

I can totally appreciate what Script meant to progressive music. When you put it like that, I do seem a bit hasty. It's still a disc I can't quite get into, but you have forced me to look at it from another point-of-view.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 04:40

Good story!

-Joel
Further to this, and Eric's comments, I think that people have to remember the context in which the album, and the whole new 2nd wave of prog, came about in the 80's.The so called golden era of prog was over. Genesis had moved on to the phase which most people on this forum, but not me, utterly hated, Yes were all over the place, King Crimson was still moribund, ELP no more. I could go on, but you get my point. There was a real danger that those of us who loved 70's prog would forever be harking back to a long lost era, with nothing to replace it.Then along comes this band, who quite deliberately made themselves sound like Gabriel ear Genesis, with an extremely charismatic face painted frontman, who told stories in both the lyrics and stage shows, and actually made a virtue of playing songs longer than three minutes. They also very succinctly echoed the trials, fears, and realities of modern life to people such as me in their late teens/early twenties, and also made a point of integrating some of the punk mentality into their ethos.It was magical, and SFAJT epitomises that approach perfectly. It was also great musically. Chelsea Monday, Forgotten Sons, and the title track still sound fantastic, even after all these years. I had The Web on last night, and really enjoyed it.

I understand and appreciate the context, and I guess that would be why so many rate it so highly, but I still think there are only 3 genuinely excellent tracks on the album.

-Joel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 123>