FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI want a time machine to 1972/73

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:07
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You know, the funny thing is that I was born in '65.  Too young to experience a lot of classic prog artists in directly when they were putting out their best, yet I was still able to experience much starting in the late '70's.  I certainly would not trade off being this age now for being this age back then or even old enough to experience classic prog artists as an adult at the time when I was a kid.  There's too much good stuff going on today and the old stuff is still around to enjoy.  Best of both worlds.  Can't beat it.

I think that this extremely eloquent post is what I was trying to say in a far more clumsy wayClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:21
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

You know, the funny thing is that I was born in '65.  Too young to experience a lot of classic prog artists in directly when they were putting out their best, yet I was still able to experience much starting in the late '70's.  I certainly would not trade off being this age now for being this age back then or even old enough to experience classic prog artists as an adult at the time when I was a kid.  There's too much good stuff going on today and the old stuff is still around to enjoy.  Best of both worlds.  Can't beat it.

I think that this extremely eloquent post is what I was trying to say in a far more clumsy wayClap

Thanks for that Laz, just call me Mr. Eloquent or whatever rhymes with eloquent. LOL

I do kind of envy people who choose to stay in the '70's, makes things a bit simpler.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 30 2009 at 15:57
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:40

I want to build an elevator up to the moon. Tongue

http://www.outofthecradle.net/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/elevator2moon.jpg

Ok, at first I was going to comment about the Hawaii posting, but this post tops that.  ClapLOL  You, my friend, are friggin hysterical.
LOL
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Ok, at first I was going to comment about the Hawaii posting, but this post tops that.  ClapLOL  You, my friend, are friggin hysterical.
LOL

Much thanks, I try to give people the occasional comedic relief around here.  Always honored if I give someone a good laugh. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 01 2009 at 09:35
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 03:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I was around then (15 in 1972) ... if I could go back in time I would go back to June 1971 kick myself into going to see Genesis play Bedford Corn Exchange instead of missing it like I did at the time. Ouch

I've got some similar experiences. I would have gone to see the Who, or Led Zep, when they visited Brussels in the mid-seventies. But I was incredibly naive in those days. I thought: all these big, "heavy" bands attract nothing but bikers, and if I go to a gig I'll get killed, just like that poor guy at Altamont! What a shame.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 05:34
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I was around then (15 in 1972) ... if I could go back in time I would go back to June 1971 kick myself into going to see Genesis play Bedford Corn Exchange instead of missing it like I did at the time. Ouch

I've got some similar experiences. I would have gone to see the Who, or Led Zep, when they visited Brussels in the mid-seventies. But I was incredibly naive in those days. I thought: all these big, "heavy" bands attract nothing but bikers, and if I go to a gig I'll get killed, just like that poor guy at Altamont! What a shame.

I had the opportunity to see a few concerts as a kid in the mid 70s because my brother, who is ten years older than I am, took me along. Don't think it was easy though, my parents made a terrible row over it every time, especially the first time. (I was only six then). "What do you think you are doing? She is only six years old; she will be killed"! My brother had a hard time explaining to them that there was no violence at all at these concerts, but I doubt they would have allowed it had I not thrown a real tantrum. The first concert I ever attended was Genesis on their "Trick of a Tail" tour. I saw Yes, Guru Guru, Gentle Giant, Led Zeppelin and Here & Now too as a kid, perhaps a few more, it is hard to remember these childhood days. I also was at the Brain festival, where several artists assigned to that label played (Gate, Novalis, Jane, Release Music Orchestra, Message, Guru Guru,, Ruphus,and Klaus Schulze. And no, I don't really remember which artists played; I had to look it up).  My brother always made me sit on his shoulders, so I had an excellent view, and actually everyone else at the concerts was always very kind to me. Some even offered me "sweet smoke", but my brother always declined for me, though he himself always accepted it.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 05:50

Some really interesting and amusing posts on this thread. However, I still regard myself as being very much like the 14 year old kid who listened to Yes, Genesis, KC, Rush, Floyd, and the rest in 1977/78. Even now, at the tender age of 44, I still listen in wonder and absolute rapture at both music I have never heard before, and, of course, the old classics. I listened to Live At Leeds, Rainbow, and Mostly Autumn on the train back home from a meeting today, and was in heaven.

Every time is a great time to be alive and listening to great musicClap
A-men to that, brootha.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 06:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I had the opportunity to see a few concerts as a kid in the mid 70s because my brother, who is ten years older than I am, took me along. Don't think it was easy though, my parents made a terrible row over it every time, especially the first time. (I was only six then). "What do you think you are doing? She is only six years old; she will be killed"! My brother had a hard time explaining to them that there was no violence at all at these concerts, but I doubt they would have allowed it had I not thrown a real tantrum. The first concert I ever attended was Genesis on their "Trick of a Tail" tour. I saw Yes, Guru Guru, Gentle Giant, Led Zeppelin and Here & Now too as a kid, perhaps a few more, it is hard to remember these childhood days. I also was at the Brain festival, where several artists assigned to that label played (Gate, Novalis, Jane, Release Music Orchestra, Message, Guru Guru,, Ruphus,and Klaus Schulze. And no, I don't really remember which artists played; I had to look it up).  My brother always made me sit on his shoulders, so I had an excellent view, and actually everyone else at the concerts was always very kind to me. Some even offered me "sweet smoke", but my brother always declined for me, though he himself always accepted it.
I was very fortunate in being allowed to see as much live music as I wanted as a teenager and I had the chance to go to this particular gig but declined as it was my parents wedding anniversary that day - so I had to suffer the following Monday at school as all my friends went on about how great it was. It was another three years before I even listened to a Genesis album, if I had attended the gig I would have no doubt bought Trespass that same week.
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:10
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I would go back a few more years to 1967 and watch the scenes grow. 72/73 only reap what was sown there. the first, in some cases the second albums of those bands set the standards for what we call prog. King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Magma, Genesis, Yes, Gong, Hawkwind, Amon Düül 2, Guru Guru, Tangerine Dream, Curved Air and many many more,  they all had their beginnings back then or a little later. that''s what would interest me
I`d go back to see Guru Guru in 1970. see them play UFO. Then I`d get back into my time machine and materialize in 1973 at a Hawkwind Space Ritual show.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:14
The bands I would see...the places I would go...but I would be nearing my 60's today and I enjoy my youth Smile

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 09:34
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

The bands I would see...the places I would go...but I would be nearing my 60's today and I enjoy my youth Smile

Hmm I wonder if I were in my 60's if I'd like the same music.  Seeing as how I'm in my mid 40s, probably.  It's almost spooky looking back on my life and reflecting on how long I've been a prog nut.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 01 2009 at 10:13
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 09:41

Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Hmm I wonder if I were in my 60's if I'd like the same music.  Seeing as how I'm in my mid 40s, probably.  It's almost spooky looking back on my life and reflecting on how long I've been a prog nut.
My 60s aren't so far away and it's quite unsettling - in the 8 years between now and then some artists wouldn't even have released their next album... will I rip of the cellophane wrapper with quite the enthusiasm I currently have for new releases? Arthritis permitting?

You bet your bibby I will. Big smile
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:14
Come to think of it, '72 or '73 was my first encounter with prog.  I remember Hocus Pocus getting played on a local Georgia radio station.  Ah the days of the 45s.  I was 7 or 8, it would be a few years before I would start collecting 33 1/3ds. Big smile  Back when we were living in Virginia a local radio station had this program called name it and claim it.  They'd play something and if you were the first one to call in and name it you got the single for free. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 01 2009 at 10:18
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 14:02
This great thread has reminded me of an extremely amusing incident in 1973. I was only coming up to nine at the time, but my parents had gone out, and the teenager Ian, from next door came to baby sit for me and my sister.

My sister loved The Osmonds, and she put that on the record player. Ian put up with this for about 30 minutes, very bravely, then promptly took the thing off and said listen to this cool stuff. He put on Deep Purple, and that was probably my first introduction to classic rock. I loved it.

How cool was he?Clap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 16:10

This great thread has reminded me of an extremely amusing incident in 1973. I was only coming up to nine at the time, but my parents had gone out, and the teenager Ian, from next door came to baby sit for me and my sister.

My sister loved The Osmonds, and she put that on the record player. Ian put up with this for about 30 minutes, very bravely, then promptly took the thing off and said listen to this cool stuff. He put on Deep Purple, and that was probably my first introduction to classic rock. I loved it.

How cool was he?Clap
Super cool, that's how!!ClapClap

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

GaryB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 06:35

I have always said that I would never change my generation for any other (especially as far as music is concerned). I was about thirteen when "Meet The Beatles" came out here in the states. During the "Invasion" it seemed like a new band was coming out every day. I graduated from high school in '67 and the first Doors LP was dominating the radio (unfortunately, AM radio played a shortened version of Light My Fire that annoyed the hell out of us). Then came Hendrix, Jeff Beck Group, Cream, Led Zep, and the whole San Francisco music scene.

In 1969 I was fortunate enough (?) to recieve an all expenses paid two year vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam. I returned in 1971 just in time for all that early and mid-seventies music and some great concerts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12