Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rushfan4's new CD Disc thread 2- The Wishing Tree
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushfan4's new CD Disc thread 2- The Wishing Tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushfan4's new CD Disc thread 2- The Wishing Tree
    Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:41
In continuation of my meager attempt to divert some PA forum discussion time away from Genesis, Dream Theater, Rush and the other usual suspects, here is my 2nd installment of Rushfan4's New CD Discussion Thread.  This time around the featured album is Ostara from the band The Wishing Tree.  The Wishing Tree are probably a little more known than the previous band Astra, so hopefully there will be more interest in checking out this album and discussing it.  For those that don't know, The Wishing Tree is a side project of Marillion's guitarist Steve Rothery, featuring female vocalist Hannah Stobart.  Ostara is The Wishing Tree's 2nd album, following 13 years after their 1st album titled Carnival of Souls.   

Anyhow, here is a link to their website where a couple of clips can be heard.  http://www.reverbnation.com/thewishingtree

I'm not quite sure who they might appeal to here on PA.  I think fans of female vocalists will be pleased with this release.  Probably, fans of Marillion will like this album because of the Steve Rothery's participation.

The timing of this thread is somewhat appropriate as The Wishing Tree are playing a show at Bush Hall in London on August 1st for those PA members that are lucky enough to reside in that area. 

Give them a listen.  See what you think.  And come back to this thread and discuss them.  I am hoping that we have a little success here and maybe we can do it for other lesser known newer releases.  Either rate, let me know what you think.   

And in case you missed the first installment of the New CD discussion thread please check it out here at this link.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59071&PN=1

Edited by rushfan4 - August 14 2009 at 15:17
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 17:02
I should mention that I was able to download the album from emusic, so people who use emusic might want to check them out there if they are looking for something to use their downloads on.

Otherwise, Amazon has the album available too, for a reasonable price for downloading.  http://www.amazon.com/Ostara/dp/B0022V7KJY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1248818363&sr=8-5

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 08:25
Glad to see that this went over like a ton of bricks.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 09:17

The album cover reminds me of an old kaleidoscope toy that I used to have as a kid. LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 09:19
Hi Scott.  Is it okay if I make a pity post?  Embarrassed
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 09:27

I hope that Lazland doesn't mind me posting his review of this album here.  It is the only written review of this album and I think that it describes it well. 

lazland
4 stars This is the second Steve Rothery side project, and it is exceptionally enjoyable. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Rothery to treat this as a purely solo project and entirely dominate proceedings, but that is absolutely not the case with this album. All songs were co written with Hannah Stobart, who is a very talented vocalist and lyricist. The album also features Paul Craddick on drums, backing vocals by Jo Rothery, and keyboards by Mike Hunter (in addition to those recorded by Rothery). This feels like a band, and is all the better for it.

Stobart has a lovely ethereal quality to her voice, which first becomes very evident on Easy, which features some delicate and ghostly vocal harmonies.

Rothery excels himself, playing some fine acoustic guitars, and, it has to be said, bass guitar - as much as I admire and love Trewavas' playing, Rothery can also play very well, this being especially true of Fly which features a great bass line.

Some tracks, inevitably, have that Marillion feel, especially the beginning of Fly, but Stobart is as far away from Fish and Hogarth as it is possible to get, and this is by no means meant as a criticism. It is difficult to make comparisons with other artists with her voice, but a young Stevie Nicks does come to mind somewhat when listening to her.

When Rothery does let go with one of his trademark solos, he, as ever, makes the instrument sing. The middle of Fly has a gorgeous solo, before it settles in to Rothery being content to play a lovely backdrop to the vocals. Seventh Sign has a great bluesy feel to it, both with the earthy guitar and the vocals. You would also swear that Trewavas supplied the bass, it's that good.

Hollow Hills is the longest track at 6.21 minutes, and is a lovely melodic track, featuring mandolin and understated guitars again providing an understated backdrop to the vocals which are layered perfectly.

You really get in to the feel of the duo listening to the final track, Soldier, which features the acoustic guitar, played wonderfully, backing Stobart's story. An incredible ballad.

Kingfisher is very Celtic in its outlook, and the melody is fantastic, with a fine, albeit short, Rothery solo midway through.

This is a hugely enjoyable album. I downloaded it from the Marillion website for the mere sum of £5.99, and it is worth every penny.

It's very difficult to say who would enjoy this. Certainly fans, like myself, of Rothery's work with Marillion will lap this up, whilst also enjoying the distinct contrast between his band input and this, and I also believe that fans of bands such as Mostly Autumn (in their calmer moments), Karnataka, and the like, and also Fleeetwood Mac will gain a lot of satisfaction from this LP. Really, all visitors to the site who appreciate the more melodic brand of prog will find this very worthwhile.

I am going to give this four stars, although 4.5 in reality.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 30 2009 at 09:30
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 09:35
It certainly sounds interesting.  I blew all my money for this month, so I'll see if I can get it.  Thumbs Up
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I hope that Lazland doesn't mind me posting his review of this album here.  It is the only written review of this album and I think that it describes it well. 

lazland
4 stars This is the second Steve Rothery side project, and it is exceptionally enjoyable. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Rothery to treat this as a purely solo project and entirely dominate proceedings, but that is absolutely not the case with this album. All songs were co written with Hannah Stobart, who is a very talented vocalist and lyricist. The album also features Paul Craddick on drums, backing vocals by Jo Rothery, and keyboards by Mike Hunter (in addition to those recorded by Rothery). This feels like a band, and is all the better for it.

Stobart has a lovely ethereal quality to her voice, which first becomes very evident on Easy, which features some delicate and ghostly vocal harmonies.

Rothery excels himself, playing some fine acoustic guitars, and, it has to be said, bass guitar - as much as I admire and love Trewavas' playing, Rothery can also play very well, this being especially true of Fly which features a great bass line.

Some tracks, inevitably, have that Marillion feel, especially the beginning of Fly, but Stobart is as far away from Fish and Hogarth as it is possible to get, and this is by no means meant as a criticism. It is difficult to make comparisons with other artists with her voice, but a young Stevie Nicks does come to mind somewhat when listening to her.

When Rothery does let go with one of his trademark solos, he, as ever, makes the instrument sing. The middle of Fly has a gorgeous solo, before it settles in to Rothery being content to play a lovely backdrop to the vocals. Seventh Sign has a great bluesy feel to it, both with the earthy guitar and the vocals. You would also swear that Trewavas supplied the bass, it's that good.

Hollow Hills is the longest track at 6.21 minutes, and is a lovely melodic track, featuring mandolin and understated guitars again providing an understated backdrop to the vocals which are layered perfectly.

You really get in to the feel of the duo listening to the final track, Soldier, which features the acoustic guitar, played wonderfully, backing Stobart's story. An incredible ballad.

Kingfisher is very Celtic in its outlook, and the melody is fantastic, with a fine, albeit short, Rothery solo midway through.

This is a hugely enjoyable album. I downloaded it from the Marillion website for the mere sum of £5.99, and it is worth every penny.

It's very difficult to say who would enjoy this. Certainly fans, like myself, of Rothery's work with Marillion will lap this up, whilst also enjoying the distinct contrast between his band input and this, and I also believe that fans of bands such as Mostly Autumn (in their calmer moments), Karnataka, and the like, and also Fleeetwood Mac will gain a lot of satisfaction from this LP. Really, all visitors to the site who appreciate the more melodic brand of prog will find this very worthwhile.

I am going to give this four stars, although 4.5 in reality.

Scott, I don't mind at all - it's an honour to have one of my reviews quoted. Very much recommended. I listen to it a lot. Robert should blow his money for August on thisThumbs Up
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:21
Somebody needs to purchase Still the Waters so Rob has some extra cash to pick up this CD. Thumbs Up  Just think that you are doing it for a good cause, and the purchase of 1 prog CD leads to the purchase of 2 prog CDs.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 12:34
Bump.

I'll give these guys a listen, sounds interesting.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 12:51
I hope that you enjoy it.  They won't blow your socks off with their musical skills like many of the bands that you recommend, however, I find it to be a very enjoyable listen.  Hannah has a gorgeous voice and the music is about providing support for her voice.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 12:59
Well the short samples I heard on Reverbnation and Myspace sound very nice and promising, soothing, melodic music, relaxing but engaging and the vocals are superb.
I'll see if I can get more to listen to.
Thanks for bringing them up.

Michelle1PA View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 20:06
Due to finances lately, I won't be able to purchase it at this time. However, I am quite the emusic consumer. So next time I activate my account I will give them a try. I love a beautiful voice.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 21:21
Actually I'm in the same boat as Michelle...must be something about the state.  I enjoyed the Astra CD somewhat and will give this one a whirl next time e-Music makes me a walloping offer to come back.

I wholeheartedly support the concept of the thread and enjoyed the Astra version of the thread.  I still need to write a review for that one some time in August.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 23:58
Still haven't got it - Plan to buy it soon though.

-Joel
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 17:52
I just pulled the trigger and ordered it from Racket. Probably will get a lecture from the wife, but so what. I sampled it and it really sounds nice. They were very good opening for Marillion on night 2, with her husband on drums, Pete Trewavas on bass and John Wesley helping out on guitar. As mesmerizing as Rothery can be on guitar, the majority couldn't take our eyes off Hannah. Very beautiful woman with a stunning voice.

I will definitely contribute once the disc gets here. What I've heard, however, is awesome!

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 09:29
The more I think about it, the more I'm anxious for this to arrive. Something told me that I should've bought it at the shows, but didn't.

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 13:57
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm anxious for this to arrive. Something told me that I should've bought it at the shows, but didn't.

E

Eric - don't worry, the wife will love itBig smile Mine did, and as I think I've posted on more than one occasion, she is most definitely NOT a Marillion afficianadoEmbarrassed
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 17:02
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

E

Eric - don't worry, the wife will love itBig smile Mine did, and as I think I've posted on more than one occasion, she is most definitely NOT a Marillion afficianadoEmbarrassed

My wife did question who I was listening to as I was sampling some WT last night. Couldn't resist in buying it, though.

E
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 11:17
Time for me to give this another spin.  It has been a few days since I last played it.  A nice side effect of me starting these threads is that I am at least personally concentrating on getting to know one album better by giving it a lot of listens.  I have a bad habit of buying a lot of CDs at once (or downloading them from eMusic) giving them one or two listens and then moving on to the next batch of purchased albums.  There are just so many albums that I want to hear, that I don't really get to know any of them all that well. 
This week I am going through and listening to all of the Chicago albums.  I have had them all for quite some time, but they all essentially got one or two or three listens when I bought them and otherwise I just listen to their greatest hits albums.  There really are some good songs on these albums that aren't their "greatest hits". 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>